Start by marking “Clickers” as Want to Read:
Clickers

Clickers (Clickers #1)

Click Click Click Click Phillipsport, Maine is a quaint and peaceful seaside village. But when hundreds of creatures pour out of the ocean and attack, its residents must take up arms to drive the beasts back. They are the Clickers, giant venomous blood-thirsty crabs from the depths of the sea. The only warning to their rampage of dismemberment and death is the terrible cli ...more
Published February 14th 2011 by Deadite Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Clickers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clickers

Dan Schwent
May 24, 2011 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2011
Writer Rick Sychek plans on spending time in remote Phillipsport, Maine, to write his newest book, but his plans are derailed when he wrecks his car trying to avoid something in the road. Before Rick knows what's happening, Phillipsport is swarmed by the Clickers, strange scorpion-like crabs from the ocean's depths. Carnage ensues and the town fights for survival, not knowing that the Clickers are the least of their problems...

Clickers is a tribute to B-movies by J.F. Gonzalez and Mark Williams,
Jonathan Janz
Nov 30, 2016 Jonathan Janz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a blast. It knew exactly what it was and accomplished exactly what it set out to do. I really enjoyed it. However, I enjoyed the sequel even more. For more on that, check out my thoughts on CLICKERS II: THE NEXT WAVE.
Char
Sep 28, 2012 Char rated it really liked it
Shelves: creature-feature
This was more than your every day creature feature! Sure it started off with big crabs, but then it evolved into something else entirely.

I loved the Lovecraftian feel of the "something else" portions. They were unexpected and fun, and they raised this book from plain B movie cheese to something more long lasting and memorable.

A lot of times these types of stories have the ending where humans conquer all and live happily ever after relating their tale of horror to their grandchildren. Well, not t
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
CLICKERS is the first in the series of Gonzalez's gore-drenched tribute to "creature features". We begin with a horror author, Rick, entering a small town in the hopes that a change of scenery will inspire him to write his next horror book. After the initial introductions of various key characters, the town is besieged with an onslaught of mutant crab/lobster creatures.

As the blood and carnage begin to flood through the town, it gradually dawns on a select few that the "Clickers" (as they've dub
Stephen
4.0 stars. This was a very fast, fun read. Perfect for what it tries to be which is an homage to classic B-movie sf/ scare fest. The plot is tight, the monsters are very cool and I especially liked the what was behind the "clickers" coming to shore. This added a new depth to the story and made it very much worth the read.
Jon Recluse
Dec 09, 2014 Jon Recluse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The unholy spawn of a threeway between the Saturday afternoon creature features I grew up with on "Chiller Theater", H.P. Lovecraft and Richard Laymon, CLICKERS is a crazed clambake of creative carnage, seasoned with a healthy dash of Mythos mayhem.

Amanda Lyons
May 31, 2010 Amanda Lyons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever found yourself happening on a movie in the middle of the night and decided to watch it without really knowing why? Maybe the first couple of minutes make you chuckle a little, the dialogue has a few bugs or the setting seems a bit hinky but despite yourself you stay tuned. The bugs stick with it a bit but as time goes on you don't really care anymore because this movie is pretty good and you're really starting to get interested. The hero who started as a goof is now pretty cool, hi ...more
Katy Mann
Dec 04, 2014 Katy Mann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr-bookclub-read
A fun, freaky book, as one of my GoodReads buddies described it.

A writer escapes to a small town in Maine just in time to be part of the town's invasion by prehistoric ocean critters.

(Don't you just hate when that happens?)

It's like watching a Creature Feature movie. Recommended for anyone who likes a campy horror romp.
11811 (Eleven)
Mar 12, 2011 11811 (Eleven) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5. This delivers exactly what it promises to deliver and then some. I can't ask for much more than that.
Marvin
May 10, 2011 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
In the past month I have embarked on a quest to find the most disturbing horror novel ever. I have since encountered zombies, cannibals, mad doctors, werewolves, and even a redneck mutant psycho family. Now I have crabs.

These are not ordinary garden variety crabs. These suckers are huge and more like a cross between lobsters and scorpions. J.. F. Gonzalez's novel Clickers starts out as a tribute to those old mutant monster movies from the 50's and 60s. It has a great build-up as it sets the stag
Bill
Feb 04, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very good and an easy read. I don't have a lot of time to read and still finished this within a couple days. I am looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Chris
Nov 04, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needless to say I won't ever look at a plate of crab legs the same way ever again in this horror novel cult classic. Writer Rick Sychek decides to write his next horror novel in scenic seaside Philipsport, Maine, but while driving to his rental house he hits a large bizarre crab in the middle of the road. Dark ominous storm clouds begin to dump heavy rains, and soon the nearby beach erupts with the deadly sounds of clicking crab claws, and screams.

Rick, along with several townspeople, such as a
Tressa
Mar 07, 2010 Tressa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl
Dec 02, 2014 Karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: delirium
Every once in a while the sea food comes out of the sea and and wants its fill of human appetizers. As Mr. G. explains:
"In December, 2009, this edition was reissued without the author’s permission by Mundania Press, who aquired Hard Shell Word Factory in a buyout. It was available in Kindle, Nook, Sony, Microsoft Reader, and other formats for the better part of six months before all editions could be recalled. The author apologizes to those readers who may have picked up the Kindle or Nook editi
Hudson
Dec 12, 2014 Hudson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Meh. Maybe even a 2.5 for me. This book was ok for what it was but I had a couple of problems with it.

First of all, I grew up summers in the town of Bridgton ME which is about an hour west of Portland. There is now way there could be a coastal town ten minutes south of Bridgton as the book claims. I know this is a fictional book about giant crabs and monsters, but somehow this just bugged me.

Also the dialogue really got to me. At one point a character in the book exclaims "hot dog". Really?????
Adam Wilson
May 23, 2011 Adam Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clickers managed to exceed all of my expectations, and, believe me, I didn’t really have high hopes for a book about killer crabs. What made this book a five-star read for me wasn’t the violence, the interesting and deadly creatures, or the B movie feel, but the effort put into every single character in the book. I especially liked the main character, a long-haired horror writer who acts reasonabley to the devastating situation in which he finds himself. Jack, a comic book store owner, is also a ...more
Daniel
Aug 07, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it
I've reached a point in my life where I now crave a true "B-movie" experience, as in: thick on plot, spiced with surprises, mixed together for the sake of fun and entertainment. The funny thing is, it's getting harder to find this balance in films or books, even as some contemporary artists re-tread favorite genre tropes. I wonder, sometimes, if earlier successes in this vein benefited from hungry creators who had to work with limited means...

To the book at hand: Gonzalez and Williams achieve, f
Stephen Kozeniewski
I met J.F. Gonzalez once at a book signing and much to my chagrin he passed away before we could get to know each other better. Since then I've read a great deal about what a generous friend and loving father and husband he was. The bittersweet legacy of the artist, of course, is that their work lives on beyond them, an immutable testament to the person they were.

I guess that's a bit of a heavy way to start a review of a pulp novel. But I can't pretend I wasn't going into this without a bit of m
Frank Errington
Apr 06, 2012 Frank Errington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year, I read Primitive by JF Gonzalez. Loved it and once again, I've had a great time reading one of his books. This one was based on an idea of, and co-written by, Mark Williams, who passed away prior to publication. Whoever gets the credit, it's all well deserved. The writers take a B-Movie premise and fill it with believable characters and plenty of action.

When dealing with crazy creatures like the ones found in this work, it's easy to fail with a back-story that doesn't work or doesn't
Shells Walter
Mar 10, 2011 Shells Walter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captain Kim Issac of the Lucky Mariner, feels the boat rock, thinking something they want is caught in their net, he looks to see what it is. Meanwhile, part of his crew go overboard, they scream, they don't return. The Captain tries to cut the net when he realizes there is something too large in there. But the creature attacks and soon Kim is lost with the water. And that is just the beginning...

Rick Sychek is a writer who while driving on the road hits something. He's not sure what, but he thi
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 William M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 AND STARS

While you may ask yourself what a new book about giant killer crabs can bring to the table that author and crab legend Guy N. Smith hasn't already done -- or Roger Corman's 1957 Attack of the Crab Monsters? Well, the answer is - plenty! Clickers is an incredibly exciting ride with some wonderful new twists to the savage animals. Authors J.F. Gonzalez and Mark Williams create their own mythos, and throughout the book, propel you into a brutal war with some very nasty (and hungry) cre
Amanda
An author moves into a small town hoping to get through his writers block. Unfortunately writing is going to be the last thing on Ricks mind as Phillipsport gets overcome by prehistoric giant, stinging crabs with a taste for human flesh. So, that would be bad enough, right? Except even giant stinging crabs have something to be afraid of, and so begins the second onslaught of Phillipsport.

This book is great fun, full of B movie madness, but with plenty of death and gore for those who like that! A
Shawn
Feb 24, 2015 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A fun romp in a b grade horror movie. I picked this novel up as I heard about the premature passing of J.F. Gonzalez. I had read some other novels by him but never this one, the one he is arguably best known for. This is a wonderful read which will remind you of those monsters movies that played on Saturday afternoons that your mother was always aghast that you watched. A toast: To a good writer gone too soon.
Jonathan Echevarria
Oct 29, 2014 Jonathan Echevarria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: B-Movie Horror Fans
I was very excited to read the Clickers series for a long time, especially when I realized the fourth book crossed over with the characters from The Rising. With that in mind I did keep my expectations low, considering the reviews on this site were harsh for the most part. Not sure if low expectations enhanced my reading experience, I can definitely say however that this book kicked major ass. Yes I have always been a fan of horror movies, I even watched some of the creature feature b-movie film ...more
Scott Emerson
Sep 10, 2011 Scott Emerson rated it liked it
We pulp horror fans are an undemanding lot. Give us a cool premise, populate it with realisitc, three-dimensional characters, punctuate the action with some imaginative set-pieces, and tell your story in clear, colorful language. That's really all it takes to make us happy.

Of course doing that is harder than it looks, which is why we often have to settle for one or two of these crucial elements (and sometimes we don't get any at all, but that's grist for another rant). So when a book comes along
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Apr 29, 2008 Unapologetic_Bookaholic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: extreme horror novel fans
John
May 29, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have gone back and fourth about reading this book because I'm a huge fan of Brian Keene's work and he has some input into the clickers franchise but i did not want to just jump into the series without reading the first one.

I'm glad I checked it out as It was like a Brian keene book, Nice solid fun horror/creature novel.

It was a pretty fast read compared to the last few titles i have read so that was a nice change of pace, I just found myself more into this world and wondering who would die nex
Mike
Jul 25, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of how a writer, local comic book store owner, waitress and others attempt to survive an invasion of carnivorous giant crabs into a small Maine town, and how things only get worse from there.

The book does a decent job of creating relate-able characters that you have some investment in seeing survive the ordeal they find themselves in. The tension of the slow emergence of the crabs from the sea to an all-out assault is handled well, and the action keeps u until the very end. My one majo
Tom Brown
The publishers of the current edition claim that this is an homage to B horror movies. Maybe that's the case, and I'm just too dense to pick up on the mockery, here. It reads more like a screenplay for such a movie instead of parody.

The book's "Forward" points out all of the trouble the author has gone through with copy editing and grammar in previous editions, yet the current edition of the book and even the very paragraph where he points this out are riddled with grammatical errors.

Given the
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Review: CLICKERS by J. F. Gonzalez

As a youngster I.devoured creature-feature film. Apparently that particular taste still remains, for I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Gonzalez' and Mr. Williams' foray into the field (er, beach). Despite the yuck-factors (ugly species, drippy entrails, dumb humans), I found CLICKERS a great delight and eagerly anticipate continuing on, as these creatures and their puppet masters enlarge their stage.

My gratitude to the erudite folks at Goodreads Group Horror Aficionados,
Horror Aficionados : December 2014 Group Read: Clickers by J.F. Gonzalez 84 120 Dec 31, 2014 05:36AM
Horror Aficionados : J. F. Gonzalez Has Passed Away 19 81 Nov 11, 2014 09:47AM
  • The Conqueror Worms
  • Crustaceans
  • Rock And Roll Reform School Zombies
  • Mandibles
  • Leviathan
  • Worm
  • Creekers
J. F. Gonzalez is the author of over a dozen novels of horror and dark suspense including They, The Corporation, Back From the Dead, Primitive, Survivor and is co-author of the Clickers series.
More about J.F. Gonzalez...

Clickers (4 books)
  • The Next Wave (Clickers #2)
  • Dagon Rising (Clickers #3)
  • Clickers VS. Zombies