Start by marking “Clickers II: The Next Wave” as Want to Read:
Clickers II: The Next Wave

Clickers II: The Next Wave (Clickers #2)

The first wave was just the beginning . . .

The United States is in ruins. It has just suffered one of the worst hurricanes in history, the people are demoralized, and the president is a religious fanatic. Then things get really bad - the Clickers return.

Thousands of the monsters swarm across the entire nation and march inland, slaughtering anyone and anything they come a
Published February 1st 2011 by Deadite Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Clickers II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clickers II

Char
Jan 11, 2015 Char rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creature-feature
After reading the original Clickers last month with some friends from the Horror Aficionados group over at Goodreads, many of us decided we wanted to continue on to read the sequel. This one featured Brian Keene as co-author rather than Mark Williams.

While I enjoyed the creature feature aspects of this story, (which I think were actually better than in the original Clickers), I did not enjoy the involvement of politics and religion.

When I'm reading what I think of as a B-movie type book, I want
Jonathan Janz
Nov 30, 2016 Jonathan Janz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to sequels, the law of diminishing returns usually applies. In rare cases, however, a follow-up can equal or even surpass the original. And while I enjoyed the first CLICKERS novel, CLICKERS II: THE NEXT WAVE surpassed it in every conceivable way.

This is a polished, fast-moving, epic tale featuring several memorable characters and a great deal of suspense. Brian Keene was already one of my favorite writers, so I expected to enjoy the book because he co-wrote it, but I hadn't read
Stephen Kozeniewski
Feb 27, 2016 Stephen Kozeniewski rated it really liked it
Yowza! What an upgrade! The original CLICKERS was an excellent, intimate little story. You know, boy meets girl, girl gets head swallowed whole by giant lizard monster, pretty standard stuff. CLICKERS II ups the stakes, ups the ante, ups the characters, ups the gore - it takes just about everything to the next level.

At first I wasn't sure if this would be the sort of sequel where a whole new cast of characters steps in to replace the original crew, with the exception of maybe a cameo. A lot of
Michael Hicks
Jul 10, 2017 Michael Hicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought, horror
I dove into Clickers II: The Next Wave immediately after finishing the first Clickers novel. I had kind of expected the sequel to be more of the same, but was immediately impressed with how much larger the scope of this sequel is. Clickers II is bigger and better than its predecessor, with the sea-borne threat even more dangerous this time around. Whereas Clickers was a pulpy, small-town creature feature B-movie set to print, Clickers II ups the ante and becomes a full-blown disaster flick.

Hurri
Karl
Oct 25, 2016 Karl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: delirium
This book is copy numbered PC of 500 copies.
Frank Errington
Apr 20, 2012 Frank Errington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many times sequels don't measure up to the original, sometimes it's best to leave a successful book stand alone. I'm so glad that this is not the case here. Clickers, originally published in 1998, was such a fun read I never expected the follow-up to be as good, but honestly it was even more entertaining than the first installment.

This time, JF Gonzalez teamed up with the legendary Brian Keene. A match made in Horror Heaven or would it be more appropriate to say Horror Hell? The two writers comp
Adam Wilson
May 27, 2011 Adam Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Next Wave was very good. I will say that first before I begin criticizing it. The only reason why I feel I have to is because, in my opinion, it fell well short of the first clickers novel for several reasons. The first is perhaps my fault. Maybe I shouldn’t have dived right into this book after finishing a five star read like Clickers (I). Maybe I was just a little burnt out on giant monster B-movie plots but I don’t think that was it. I think it is the lack of masterful characterization wh ...more
Robert Mingee
It's sad when a personal agenda is handled in such a way that it overshadows the story, especially a story that could have been such a fun romp, which was definitely the case with this book. The Clickers and friends are back, on a much larger scale this time. There's no covering this one up, as the wave hits the entire east coast, and the action and "monster" story elements are great.

But the president has his own agenda, and the way that it is presented really comes across as ham-fisted. I start
Daniel
Nov 05, 2015 Daniel rated it it was ok
A short take:

Oversized prehistoric crustaceans maraud coastal cities in the US and kill with abandon. Behind these beasties are yet more monsters. I should've loved reading this book, and the fact that I did not makes me sad.

More thoughts:

Eight years after Bush Junior's last term, watching ultra-conservatives act like arrogant idiots before receiving their inevitable comeuppance is not much fun, nor is it cathartic.
Jonathan Echevarria
Nov 03, 2014 Jonathan Echevarria rated it really liked it
Unlike the first Clickers book where we had a small town setting (which was appropriate for the Creature Feature films vibe it was going for.), this time around the Clickers have been upgraded to large disaster film status. It works for the most part because we really see how the Clickers could contend against the military and large city type settings. We get a much larger cast this time around, so while Rick Sychek does return, he doesn't get as much as attention as some of the newer characters ...more
Mike Kazmierczak
May 26, 2013 Mike Kazmierczak rated it really liked it
Like all good grade B movies, the original CLICKERS novel gets a sequel in the form of CLICKERS II: THE NEXT WAVE. Unlike most sequels though, the story here is just as good as the first one.

It is about ten years after the events in the first book. The government has tried covering up the event at Phillipsport. The truth has been left to conspiracy theorist as all the survivors from that day have been killed or are permanently in hiding. With a familiar catalyst, a hurricane strikes the East Coa
Richard Wright
Jul 19, 2011 Richard Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I reacquainted myself with the original Clickers earlier this year, and the sequel has been sitting on my shelf for a while, so I dived in. Where I was expecting another popcorn book, perhaps demonstrating the law of diminishing returns, I was pleased to find the story evolve, with the book ending up a very different beast as a result. Instead of monsters in a small town, here we have a nation under siege, with characters at all levels (from the streets to the corridors of the White House) threa ...more
Craig
Jan 14, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set about a dozen years after the first volume, this one is a lot of fun. It carries on the story of most of the survivors of the first volume and introduces a new cast of larger-than-life, pulp-influenced ones who are just as enjoyable. Giant crabs return, driven by their dark overlords who are out for vengeance, and half the country is destroyed... but the real bad guys are the ultra-right politicians in charge of our defense. Multiple viewpoints and short flashes of events from all over the s ...more
Michael
More giant crab action! This time, the Clickers attack the entire East Coast of the United States, eating everyone in their path. A category five hurricane bears down on Washington, DC, as the President--an insane religious zealot--sets off a civil war in the midst of the Clicker invasion. The Dark Ones return! Atlantic City is overrun! Giant crabs are eating the White House! One completely unnecessary sex scene! Fun, pure, uber-violent monster crab goodness. Even better than the original. I can ...more
11811 (Eleven)
Jan 13, 2015 11811 (Eleven) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 60%. Gonzalez rocks while Keene ruins. I'm upset that Keene fucked up an otherwise fun story. If this was more about clickers, less about politics, it could have been great.
Jarrod Scarbrough
Non stop action! I remember being in awe of the first book, especially of the Dark Ones. Clickers II far outdid the original, and will literally keep you on edge from start to its bloody finish!
Kathy Jackson
I feel like I should apologize before I start the review. Why? Because I wanted to give this book a good review, wanted to say it was a lot of fun and that the monsters were fantastic. Really, I wanted to.

Let's start with the good things: the...um...the news articles were interesting in that they told the story of what the clickers and Dark Ones had been up to since the first book ended. Ships going missing, people disappearing while swimming in the ocean, scuba divers never resurfacing - all du
Mike
Jul 25, 2012 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A follow up to the earlier effort by Mr. Gonzalez that find the hero and heroine of the first book set back in the path of Crabmageddon as it washes over most of the eastern seaboard. This time they are helped by a retired Army Colonel who is tasked with beating back the invasion.

While the story is still an good one, much of the intimacy of the original setting, and with it the texture of the backdrops to the plot seems lost here. In the first book one could imagine the environs where the charac
Ron
Jun 06, 2015 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars isn't a very high score for me - but I want all fans of the first Clickers book to know that this one is significantly better!
Strangely - it came apart in the last act for me - - but the journey was a lot more fun than round one, and the writing is much better in general. Clearly a more seasoned author and collaboration. The Clickers books are a guilty pleasure for me - and I'll be reading the third book, and maybe the one with zombies, too.
Andre Higgins
Jul 26, 2011 Andre Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great follow up to the first book. I loved it.
There is only one little thing that bugged me a lot and it is the president character..... he's totally unbelievable. Of course this will probably sound strange (dealing with all the weird shit in this book) but he brought too much ridicule to the story. He was a joke.
Apart from that one bad character, the story was just great.
I'm plunging into book III right away.
Theresa Boyd
By the time I got halfway through this book, I felt like I was still reading it because I insist on finishing what I started, and not because i was really still enjoying this. Maybe my reason for not liking it all that much was because the first Clickers was so amazing...then again, I feel like adding Brian Keene to a book should make it better...not worse...
Paul
Feb 24, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Great to see a sequel that not only betters the first book but reveals a whole lot more about the situation than the previous book, it was wonderful to have a plot that took what you knew from the first book and enhanced and added so wonderfully to it. The next and final book should be just as good, with another dimension added to it, so i'm off the the last book
Shawn
Jan 23, 2017 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, action, horror-tbr
This is a very well written horror novel. Good action, good characters, enough science to make it plausible. I enjoyed it very much. This is an author we lost this last year (2016). I urge you all to give him a read before his novels becom hard to find. So worth it.

Mark Masztal
Feb 16, 2016 Mark Masztal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.F. Gonzalez and Brian Keene don't disappoint with the second in the series of Clickers books. They re-visit previous characters, add some new ones and put our player sin peril...again and again. Well written and a fun B-Movie style book.
Eric
Jun 01, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: monster-fiction, 2011
Giant crabs and creatures from the sea spark a second civil war. And the most villainous villain of them all? That's right--it's the President of the United States. The first Clickers book was pretty great. This second one is a total gas. Highly recommended for giant monster fans.
Lou
Aug 31, 2012 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, fun fast and a few curve balls thrown in. Like a great "B" movie but better.
Johnny morrison
May 18, 2012 Johnny morrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Moving on to the next one...
Bicho
Mar 09, 2016 Bicho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bigger Clickers!! More Dark Ones!!!!
John Bruni
Feb 04, 2013 John Bruni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first one, but fun as all hell! Bigger scale, crazier situations, and a few references to Keene's work, ie. the Black Lodge.
Eric
Jan 12, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun creature-feature style horror from Keene and Gonzalez! If you enjoyed the first Clickers this is more of the same, on a larger scale.
  • Deluge: The Conqueror Worms II
  • Creekers
  • The Dark Ones
J. F. Gonzalez is the author of over a dozen novels of horror and dark suspense including They, The Corporation, Back From the Dead, Primitive, Survivor and is co-author of the Clickers series.
More about J.F. Gonzalez...

Clickers (4 books)
  • Clickers
  • Dagon Rising (Clickers #3)
  • Clickers VS. Zombies