Start by marking “The Coldest Winter: A Stringer in Liberated Europe” as Want to Read:
The Coldest Winter: A Stringer in Liberated Europe

The Coldest Winter: A Stringer in Liberated Europe

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  29 reviews

A New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice

A San Francisco Chronicle Best Book of the Year

A Washington Post Book World Critic's Choice of the Year

In this elegant and affecting follow-up to her extraordinary memoir, Borrowed Finery, a young writer travels through a Europe ravaged by the Second World War....more
Published October 17th 2006 by Picador (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Coldest Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coldest Winter

Linda
Another "to-read" bites the dust. I love goal setting! But, enough about me. This is a memoir. Paula Fox is known to me as a Young Adult author. Her YA books are very good and very good for young adults. Her biography BORROWED FINERY was quite a grim look at her childhood, and this book follows that but with not much mention of that childhood. She does mention her father briefly and all of the good contacts that she makes in her trip to Europe are because of some acquaintance of her father. Plus...more
K.M. Soehnlein
It's 1946. Europe is devastated by World War II -- not yet in Marshall Plan recovery mode -- when Paula Fox, then only 23, spends a year traveling as a a "stringer" (a reporter filing occasional dispatches to a wire service based in London). This memoir isn't really about the news stories she was sent to write, but more about episodes and impressions made on a young woman who isn't sure what she's seeking or what she expects to find.

Fox is young and impressionable and attractive, but this isn't...more
Amanda
This memoir ended up not really being my thing.

If this was a bunch of stories coming from someone I know, I'd be sitting there with rapt attention and wanting to know all of the details and I'd really appreciate them. Coming from a stranger though, I found most of it to be rather boring. It's also really disjointed and kind of hard to follow. Or maybe I was just so bored by it I missed details. I also find that for me personally, I don't do well with memoirs that are really just collections of t...more
I really enjoyed this book. What I appreciated most was Paula Fox's elegant simplicity. She had this amazing ability to create a scene, a feeling, even complete character profiles in very few words. I was amazed that such a huge experience could be culled down to so little and yet still convey so much activity. The last paragraph of the chapter entitled "Perlita" is something I always want to remember:

"As I look at her in my mind's eye, I am reminded not of the loftiness or dignity of the human...more
Beth
Beautifully written (but spare) account of a young journalist traveling in northern Europe immediately after WWII. The book is as much a "coming of age" novel, as it is a bleak portrait of the devastation and destitution Europe faced in the aftermath of the war. Fox is a sublime writer. She perfectly captures the emotions and innocence of a young woman making her way out into the world, as well as providing a bleak portrait of the remains of war.
I have recommended this book to everyone I know....more
Nanou
En 1946, Paula Fox, âgée de vingt-trois ans, quitte New-York en bateau, en partance pour l'Europe, soulagée de s'éloigner pour un temps de la ville synonyme pour elle de toutes les difficultés de la vie.
Vivant successivement à Londres, Paris, Varsovie, Barcelone et Madrid, exerçant des métiers variés, elle découvre les villes européennes juste sorties de la guerre et rencontre tout un tas de gens aux expériences diverses : des rescapés des camps, d'anciens partisans de Tito, la représentante d'u...more
sara fasy
Jun 12, 2007 sara fasy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nonfiction writer friends
Memoir of 1947 post-war Europe, fledgling jounalist, written by Paula Fox whose illustrious screenwriter parents abandoned her at early age- her book Borrowed Finery explores her childhood. This book finds her at 23, sent to be a stringer in Prague and Warsaw, spare portraits of the demoralized rubble-strewn cities, then Spain and the Franco influence with allusions to defeated Republicans living in semi-hiding. Interesting to see the way memory works at such a distance, you can imagine the Pari...more
Judy
This brief memoir of the author's time as a young post-war journalist, working as a stringer in Europe, consists of a series of vignettes as the author moves from assignment to assignment. In this respect, it is less a memoir than a series of sketchy recollections assembled into a book. The writing is spare; the author provides just enough detail for the reader to form a vague image of the time and place. The author seemed to be subtly melodramatic at times: I felt as if she were hinting at some...more
Peter
I came across a story about Paula Fox in The New Yorker as I was reading this. The story covered both her life and writing, and apparently she's experienced quite a few setbacks that would devastate a lesser person.

This memoir has kind of a dreamy quality, probably since it was written many years after the fact. I was just plodding along with the story, thinking it was just a pleasant remembrance of a time long ago, but also wondering what the point was really, when the final chapter very moving...more
Georgia
A perfect winter read. Paula Fox writes about her experiences traveling abroad in Europe as an early twentysomething journalist with haunting brevity as she recounts her experiences among the postwar cities of London, Paris and Warsaw. Fox somehow avoids the sentimental even in her most personal experiences. Her short essays reflect the devastation wrecked on the people and places of Europe. A great short read that could be finished in one sitting or a couple of metro rides in my case
Suzanne
In this heavily atmospheric memoir we see a Europe still devastated by the recent war. Instead of the euphoria and prosperity America is experiencing, the places Ms Fox visits- London, Warsaw, Prague, Barcelona are all still stunned and rubble filled, with shell shocked and grief stricken survivors. As we now know , some of Europe never does fully recover, but seeing it first hand thru Paula Fox's eyes is fascinating, eyeopening and ultimately very sad.
Godlarvae
Taking her "memoir train" the next step, Paula provides humanness to the cold aftermath of WWII in Europe. She uses short vignettes of those she met and observed in day to day "living" during their survival.
Written in the same spartan/non-judgmental/highly intense/beautifully drafted style of her previous memoir, she captures the reader to the point that they also experience what she has.
Kat
I really wanted to like this. I'm very interested in post-WWII Europe, especially Eastern Europe, but this book just didn't hold my interest. I would have liked it much better if there had been something more to tie the vignettes together, or some sort of over-arching narrative, but there wasn't. It was all just so...terse.

I just couldn't do it.
Jo
I've been wanting to check this author out for a while, I have a few of her books here from the library.
The timing on reading "Stringer......." was neat because I had just read all these letters between my Dad's 2 younger brothers (Dick and Wally)when they were stationned in Europe during WWII IN 1945 AND 1946.
Jo
Liz
Memoir of her time as a young stringer in post war Europe. Prose is simple and direct, which is refreshing! She is author of Newbery winner "Slave Dancer". She creates a moment in time dreary Europe with colorful characters
B
921 Fox The children's writer provides a memoir of her days as a lowly reporter in Germany after the war. Interesting for those that know the author or like reading about that time period in Europe.
John
A provocative set of short pieces written by a mature writer reflecting on her much younger self in Europe just after WWII, written in a stark but compelling style.
Clairem
Un début très prometteur. Dommage que l'auteure ne fasse qu'énoncer plusieurs événements....
Lauren
I love Paula Fox. This obviously wasn't as powerful as "Borrowed Finery," but it wasn't meant to be. I can't wait for the next installment in her memoirs.
Lisa
I like terse writing but this is a bit too terse even for my taste. I wish she had filled in the blanks a bit more.
Melanie
Autobiographical book about this lady's experience as a reporter in Europe immediately after World War II
JulieK
All anecdotes, no overall narrative or analysis (at least in the 50 pages I got through before giving up).
Cherie
C Some interesting things but there's not much of a flow and I couldn't get into it; skimmed
Kate B
Wanted more. Too brief a memior for a very important time in post-war Europe.
Nossamael
aucune émotion sur un sujet qui le mérite. récit plat
Terry
Love! Love! Love! This book. Spare and elegant. A keeper.
Linda L
For me, the writing just didn't grab my interest.
Ann
personal, historical
E.t.
E.t. marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Not I: Memoirs of a German Childhood
  • Am Beispiel meines Bruders
  • What I Saw: Reports from Berlin 1920-1933
  • Popular Culture in Early Modern Europe
  • Nella Last in the 1950s: The Further Diaries of Housewife, 49
  • The Kindness of Strangers: The Abandonment of Children in Western Europe from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance
  • Noise, Water, Meat: A History of Sound in the Arts
  • A History of Their Own: Women in Europe from Prehistory to the Present Volume 1
  • A Dark History: The Kings and Queens of Europe
  • Microcosm: A Portrait of a Central European City
  • My Father's Country: Story of a German Family
  • Talleyrand
  • A World Restored: Metternich, Castlereagh and the Problems of Peace, 1812-1822
  • A Meal in Winter
  • Becoming Charlemagne: Europe, Baghdad, and the Empires of A.D. 800
  • Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning: The Great War in European Cultural History
  • Solar Dance: Genius, Forgery and the Crisis of Truth in the Modern Age
  • Blood and Faith: The Purging of Muslim Spain
Paula Fox is an American author of novels for adults and children and two memoirs. Her novel The Slave Dancer (1973) received the Newbery Medal in 1974; and in 1978, she was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal. More recently, A Portrait of Ivan won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 2008.

A teenage marriage produced a daughter, Linda, in 1944. However, given the tumultuous relationship wit...more
More about Paula Fox...
The Slave Dancer Desperate Characters One-Eyed Cat Borrowed Finery: A Memoir Monkey Island