Start by marking “Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer” as Want to Read:
Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

If you've always dreamed of making a living as a writer, this book will take you where you want to go. Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer, Second Edition, demystifies the process of becoming a writer and gives aspiring writers all the tools they need to become successful freelance writers, get their names in print, and start earning a healthy income from writing. C

ebook, Second Edition, 304 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Allworth Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

Brianna Bias
You don’t pick up a book with a title like, “Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer,” without a clear purpose. And as a guide for new writers trying to find a way to market themselves, it serves that purpose.

One drawback to the book is the very limited focus with which Allen advises freelancers. The majority of her advice focuses on pitching articles to magazines and newspapers. Something that doesn’t help is the fact that the book was published in 2011, making it somewhat dated in regard to
Cleffairy
Apr 02, 2011 Cleffairy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published at: Over A Cuppa Tea

Review date 8th Feb 2011

Review link: http://cleffairy.com/?p=4713

I'm a freelance writer myself, and therefore, when I saw this ARC of 'Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer' by Moira Allen available for review in Netgalley, I knew I had to have it, by hook or by crook. After all, knowledge and tips on how to start/ expand your career as a freelance writer is not exactly easily available publicly.

Some of the tips in this book is one of those best kept secrets in
Jaclyn
Sep 17, 2012 Jaclyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I have to admit, I didn't get all the way through this one. It provides a good foundation for extreme beginners, but for me it was far too detailed in the basics to hold my attention. Allen points out that you needn't have much experience to get started, and I think this book is best suited for those who do not yet label themselves Writer and are not very savvy with computers. Unfortunately (or fortunately in any other context) I already have a home office set up nicely, I'm very tech-savvy, and ...more
Daniel Taylor
If you've ever said you wanted to be a freelance writer, you know that you soon come up with more questions than you can easily find answers to.

For anyone in a nonfiction writing business, Moira Allen answers all those troubling questions: how to get started, setting goals, finding ideas, researching markets, writing successful query letters, and then the mundane but necessary details like record keeping and rights and contracts.

I'd had a successful and prolific freelance writing career many yea
Josh
May 24, 2012 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all writers
Recommended to Josh by: shelf @ UAPL
one of the better "how to write" books i've read and i will definitely be purchasing it in the near future (i borrowed from the library for my 1st read through).

there were a great deal of useful tips, examples and suggestions packed into these pages and they're paying off already. since starting this book, i've fired off 2 query letters and had one article picked up on spec (awaiting to see if it will be published now) and have found a renewed drive to search through my life for article ideas an
Ruby
Mar 28, 2013 Ruby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most comprehensive books I have ever read on the subject of freelance writing. It covers many topics that other books do not such as the different types of freelance work now available, the types of copyrights/rights that a writer may be asked to give over, how to handle taxes, how to find interviewees, the different types of interviews and how to handle each one, and much more. This is definitely a must-read for anyone who is considering entering the freelance writing world, ...more
Stevie
Jun 30, 2012 Stevie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moira Allen's guidebook for beginning freelancers is easy to read and covers the basics of freelance writing. She focuses more on how to sell articles to magazines, but she also covers some basics about writing and publishing non-fiction books. She gives a lot of solid advice, and the book helpfully mentions many resources for writers.
Miriam
Nov 22, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The majority of the book focused on getting published in print mags and newspapers. The online aspect was added at the end of the book and was a bit limited. Still, it was well worth a read for great tips on structuring articles, explaining how contracts work, giving examples on how to keep tracks of accounts, and defining lots of terminology.
Barbara Clark
Jan 10, 2013 Barbara Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1
This book is a MUST for someone that wants to sell their writing! I love the way she goes step by step though the process of breaking in to the freelance world.Her writing is easy to understand and her advice is very precise.
Eric
Jul 30, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book covers a broad range of topics and gives plenty of advice for getting started in the freelance world. I think this book would be a great starting point for anyone thinking about pursuing a freelance writing gig.
Nicole
Jul 23, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, 2011
Unlike Bly's book which was all about how awesome he is, Allen's book gives actual advice on how to get started. And instead of the usual cop-out of "I'm not a lawyer or accountant," there's a section on tax implications.
Trace
Jun 04, 2013 Trace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-booklist
Jam packed with info... I think I'll be referring to this resource many times over the next year or two....
Jared Gillins
Mar 20, 2012 Jared Gillins marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I think this needs to go back on the shelf for another day. Until I at least get a book proposal together, pursuing freelance writing is just a distraction.
Rob Cantrall
May 17, 2013 Rob Cantrall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent reference book.
L.J. Kentowski
Apr 25, 2011 L.J. Kentowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, favorites
Very informative and helpful. Easy to read and understand.
Lauralee
Lauralee rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Jin Kolesnikov
Jin Kolesnikov rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2011
Elisa George
Elisa George rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Aria Eve
Aria Eve rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2016
Shevonne
Shevonne rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Kassel
Kassel rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Jan Deelstra
Jan Deelstra rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Jd
Jd rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Peg
Peg rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Lauren Kinney
Lauren Kinney rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Saba
Saba rated it liked it
May 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Creative Reviews: Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer 1 2 Jun 24, 2012 07:24AM
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less
  • Secrets of a Freelance Writer: How to Make $100,000 a Year or More
  • The Writers Digest Guide to Query Letters
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.
  • Robert's Rules Of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers
  • The Nighttime Novelist: Finish Your Novel in Your Spare Time
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica
  • Six-Figure Freelancing
  • The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing