Start by marking “Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer” as Want to Read:
Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  16 reviews

If you've always dreamed of making a living as a writer, this book will take you where you want to go. Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer, Second Edition, demystifies the process of becoming a writer and gives aspiring writers all the tools they need to become successful freelance writers, get their names in print, and start earning a healthy income from writing. C

ebook, Second Edition, 304 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Allworth Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

Cleffairy
Published at: Over A Cuppa Tea

Review date 8th Feb 2011

Review link: http://cleffairy.com/?p=4713

I'm a freelance writer myself, and therefore, when I saw this ARC of 'Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer' by Moira Allen available for review in Netgalley, I knew I had to have it, by hook or by crook. After all, knowledge and tips on how to start/ expand your career as a freelance writer is not exactly easily available publicly.

Some of the tips in this book is one of those best kept secrets in
Daniel Taylor
If you've ever said you wanted to be a freelance writer, you know that you soon come up with more questions than you can easily find answers to.

For anyone in a nonfiction writing business, Moira Allen answers all those troubling questions: how to get started, setting goals, finding ideas, researching markets, writing successful query letters, and then the mundane but necessary details like record keeping and rights and contracts.

I'd had a successful and prolific freelance writing career many yea
Jaclyn
I have to admit, I didn't get all the way through this one. It provides a good foundation for extreme beginners, but for me it was far too detailed in the basics to hold my attention. Allen points out that you needn't have much experience to get started, and I think this book is best suited for those who do not yet label themselves Writer and are not very savvy with computers. Unfortunately (or fortunately in any other context) I already have a home office set up nicely, I'm very tech-savvy, and ...more
josh
Sep 26, 2012 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all writers
Recommended to josh by: shelf @ UAPL
one of the better "how to write" books i've read and i will definitely be purchasing it in the near future (i borrowed from the library for my 1st read through).

there were a great deal of useful tips, examples and suggestions packed into these pages and they're paying off already. since starting this book, i've fired off 2 query letters and had one article picked up on spec (awaiting to see if it will be published now) and have found a renewed drive to search through my life for article ideas an
Ruby
This is one of the most comprehensive books I have ever read on the subject of freelance writing. It covers many topics that other books do not such as the different types of freelance work now available, the types of copyrights/rights that a writer may be asked to give over, how to handle taxes, how to find interviewees, the different types of interviews and how to handle each one, and much more. This is definitely a must-read for anyone who is considering entering the freelance writing world, ...more
Stevie
Moira Allen's guidebook for beginning freelancers is easy to read and covers the basics of freelance writing. She focuses more on how to sell articles to magazines, but she also covers some basics about writing and publishing non-fiction books. She gives a lot of solid advice, and the book helpfully mentions many resources for writers.
Nicole
Unlike Bly's book which was all about how awesome he is, Allen's book gives actual advice on how to get started. And instead of the usual cop-out of "I'm not a lawyer or accountant," there's a section on tax implications.
Eric
This book covers a broad range of topics and gives plenty of advice for getting started in the freelance world. I think this book would be a great starting point for anyone thinking about pursuing a freelance writing gig.
Barbara Clark
This book is a MUST for someone that wants to sell their writing! I love the way she goes step by step though the process of breaking in to the freelance world.Her writing is easy to understand and her advice is very precise.
Annalisa
This is one of the most helpful "how to" books I have ever read.
Jared Gillins
May 30, 2013 Jared Gillins marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I think this needs to go back on the shelf for another day. Until I at least get a book proposal together, pursuing freelance writing is just a distraction.
Trace
Jam packed with info... I think I'll be referring to this resource many times over the next year or two....
L.J. Kentowski
Very informative and helpful. Easy to read and understand.
Don Gubler
Good basic information but doesn't go far enough.
Wafaa Al-kadi
Wafaa Al-kadi marked it as to-read
عبد البلبيسي
عبد البلبيسي marked it as to-read
Huda Ahmed
Huda Ahmed marked it as to-read
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
N.L.
N.L. marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Liora
Liora marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Jianyu Hou
Jianyu Hou is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
Kelsy
Kelsy added it
Apr 22, 2015
Patricia Atkinson
Patricia Atkinson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Bridget Skjordahl
Bridget Skjordahl is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2015
Pallavichetan
Pallavichetan marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Creative Reviews: Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer 1 2 Jun 24, 2012 07:24AM
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
  • Robert's Rules of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • The Tao of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow
  • Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • The Nighttime Novelist: Finish Your Novel in Your Spare Time
  • How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica
  • The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
  • The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat
Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet The Writer's Guide to Queries, Pitches and Proposals Writing.com: Creative Internet Strategies to Advance Your Writing Career Teleios: Recovery Through Christ for Adult Children