Start by marking “Node: Up and Running: Scalable Server-Side Code with JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Node: Up and Running: Scalable Server-Side Code with JavaScript

Node: Up and Running: Scalable Server-Side Code with JavaScript

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This book introduces you to Node, the new web development framework written in JavaScript. You'll learn hands-on how Node makes life easier for experienced JavaScript developers: not only can you work on the front end and back end in the same language, you'll also have more flexibility in choosing how to divide application logic between client and server.

Written by a core...more
Published May 7th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published July 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Node, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Node

Elena-Irina
Really unorganized and outdated. It doesn't even offer you an overall picture of Node.
Konstantin Root
Dont waste your time reading this "book" - its in development since end of Dec 2010, so its usage is already not in line with reality.
On top of that i found following major problems:
1) Very chaotic structure of the content
2) Unfinished content
3) From 206 pages only first 85 are original content - API section is just outdated copy of documentation from nodejs.org

Avoid this book - you could get much better value by reading "Node for Front-End Developers" and API docs from nodejs.org
Eric Wallace
I skimmed this rather quickly, focusing on the earlier parts to get the "big picture" stuff about patterns for dealing with the asynchronous callbacks and non-blocking IO kind of stuff. Later chapters that survey specific modules and such are more likely to be outdated now and were not as immediately useful to me.
Alessandro Pellizzari
Una buona introduzione all'ambiente di Node.js.

Purtroppo per l'autore (ma per fortuna per Node), lo sviluppo del software procede a una velocità incredibile, quindi alcune informazioni in questo libro iniziano già ad essere datate.

Inoltre molti argomenti vengono solo introdotti, e non approfonditi, generando anche confusione.
Gregor
I'm not yet finished. It seems like an easy way to get into Node but I miss depth and a better structure. In my eyes it's for novice developers. Any other developer can get most of the information in less time out of the official webpage without big problems. Sadly as I was very eager to read this book. Let's see if I can finish it :\
Douglas Hackney
Well constructed, fast-paced introduction to Node.js. If you've got even a little bit of background in JavaScript, this book will provide a step-by-step guide through the essential components and characteristics of Node.
Chris
Aug 04, 2012 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: tech
I pretty much agree with the other reviews here. This book shows plenty of examples and is a decent introduction to the Node.js core and design concepts, but its "API reference" is woefully unorganized and incomplete.
Mohamed Amged
Oct 03, 2012 Mohamed Amged is currently reading it
don't read the 1st edition it's so old and most of code wont work with the new releases of node.
Matt
Good overview of Node. Needs an update.
Ryan
Ryan added it
Oct 17, 2014
Stealthsyang
Stealthsyang marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Luis Santos
Luis Santos is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Daniel Newman
Daniel Newman marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Dorai
Dorai marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Greg
Greg added it
Aug 20, 2014
Brian Olynyk
Brian Olynyk marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jeno
Jeno is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Dileep
Dileep added it
Aug 02, 2014
Dompuiu
Dompuiu marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Krovatkin
Krovatkin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »