The Secret Teachings of Plants: The Intelligence of the Heart in the Direct Perception of Nature

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  32 reviews
NEW SCIENCE / ECOLOGY ""Of the truly great books appearing today The Secret Teachings of Plants is easily the most rewarding I have had the privilege of reading."" --Joseph Chilton Pearce, author of The Biology of Transcendence ""A 'must read' for herbalists, healers, gardeners, nature lovers, and anyone who has ever been moved to tears by the everyday miracles of life.""...more
Published August 12th 2010 by Bear & Company (first published October 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Teachings of Plants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Teachings of Plants

Aaron Hoopes
The Secret Teachings of Plants is a book that does much more than remind us of the importance of Nature in our lives. It provides simple skills to help us make a much deeper connection to the natural world and bring our lives back into balance. Too often we get so caught up in the busyness of the human world that we become numb to ourselves. It is at times like this when we need a sage like Stephen Buhner to guide us back to the wisdom the other living beings of this planet have for us.

The book...more
Erica
I think this is a pretty important book and certainly a classic in its genre. It is a very good introduction to the art of direct perception of nature. I've read others in plant spirit healing (e.g, Montgomery and Cowan) that are very obtuse or difficult to grasp if you've never considered it before. Buhner does an excellent job in holding your hand and explaining it to you, over and over, from different angles and perspectives. I loved his use of quotes from others thrown in at just perfectly a...more
Laura Cowan
Great book. A foundation in some basics of neurobiology and other related sciences to help you understand the basis for how direct perception or depth mode cognition works, a good explanation of nonlinear thinking/perception and how this relates to the nonlinear nature of the universe and living things, then helpful tips on how the experience tends to unfold. The only thing I found frustrating was how long it took me to read the book before I could go out and learn directly from experience, whic...more
Liz Neves
There are few books that I feel I could read over & over again - not just for the pleasure of it, but also to glean something new. This is one of those books. The story of the heart and its relationship with the world unfolds delicately, poetically. Interwoven in the story (in two parts) are thoughtfully chosen quotes from deep ecological & philosophical thinkers (eg, Masanobu Fukuoka, George Washington Carver, Thoreau, Kabir).

I picked up this book because of the premise that our ancesto...more
Sae-chan
After reading this book, don't try to talk to people straight away. You will sound weird.

With the kind of education curriculum around the globe, not many people will readily accept the premises offered here. People need to have some kind of background experience to be able to go through the book and not flat out dismiss it as craziness only after a couple of pages.

I find that people who experienced a kind of shock in their life (usually a tragedy), their core is the one that is literally got sha...more
Ron
I was turned on to this book from reading Holistic Anatomy by Pip Wallen. Buhner is a mystic. His path to the sacred is through his study/relationship of/with plants. He writes poetically but scientifically about learning himself, nature (and God) through meeting an communicating with plants. People he cites who have entered that world as well include: Goethe, Thoreau, Luther Burbank. Masanobu Fukuoka George Washington Carver and others. It heartens me to think that as a creature of evolution I...more
Danna Valko
Learning to perceive with the heart is an inspiring goal for anyone attempting to feel a deeper connection to their surroundings. It seems a vital step for anyone seeking spiritual development. If you tend to believe that Earth and Her Life are mechanical and lifeless you'll begin to awaken to new wonder with the help of Buhner.
Eden
Buhner's work explores the location of the human body in the greater system of life on Earth, discussing how our physiological and emotional functions mimic, reflect and include similar systems observed in the world of plants. Of particular interest to me are (1) the discussions of exactly what remains unknown about these systems and (2) the communication constantly taking place between and among various apparently discrete systems such as the constant, mutual exchange of electromagnetic informa...more
Jiri Bryan
I thought I´d read everything important, but for some reason I´ve bought this book at the fair and started to read it this summer. What a surprise! Absolutely the best book about human heart I´ve read in my life.../Myslsel jsem, že už mám dočteno, ale (sám nevím proč) koupil jsem ještě tuhle knihu na eso-veletrhu a v létě ji rozečetl. To bylo překvápko! Jednoznačně nejlepší kniha o lidském srdci, jakou jsem kdy četl...
Sinan Canan
Şimdiye kadar okuduklarımdan kesinlikle farklı. Bilimle dolu kafalar için zorca bir kitap. Kalbiyle yaşayanlar ise muhtemelen bu kitaptakileri çok tazeleyici bulacaktır. Her kütüphanede olması gerektiğini ve özellikle "diastole" bölümünün bir kaç kere okunması gerekeceğini düşünüyorum. Tabii bir de güzelce Türkçeye tercüme edilse, aliyyül ala olur...
Brian
the heart is an organ of perception just like the brain, but we've been conditioned to ignore it. sounds like it could be cheesy, but this book is amazing in how it shows just how much we are communicating with every living thing around us in ways we arent quite aware of. experiencing without thinking.
Steven Horne
This is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I had experienced this ability of the heart to connect with people and with nature, but this book gave me the language to explain it so I could share my understanding with others.
Mike Radice
One of the best books I've read. It shows the biological and spiritual connections between all life, and relies on science. My relationships with the plant, human, animal, and universe worlds are now richer and more connected.
Carol
I cannot give it 5 stars because it pushes me WAY beyond my comfort level but it also opens me up to new ways of thinking about reality and I suspect in a year or two if I go back to it I will give it an unabashed 5 stars.
Cameron Powers
An amazing mixture of recent scientific findings and ancient wisdom which makes it clear that our hearts are indeed telepathic organs capable of supernatural spiritual feats in cross-cultural and cross-species arenas.
Dan Hostetler
One of the most interesting, creative, and useful books that I have ever read. It fascinated me from the moment I opened the cover and it has held a prominent place on my bookshelf ever since.
Meghan
sometimes i think that no matter what other books i read in my lifetime, this one will have changed me the most. in a very good way. it is breathtaking and mind-blowing and beautiful.
Amelia Hurlburt
An awesome book!! What would the world be like if we all let ourselves "see with the unworn sides of your eye",as Thoreau suggested? Much to think about and so much to notice.
Hella Delicious
Jan 28, 2009 Hella Delicious rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Really opened up my mind and soul to a new experience and interaction with the life around us. I have read several books by this author and I am never disappointed.
Laura Doyle
A shocking perspective on the natural world. Very deliberate and scientific in the first half, very beautiful and lively in the second. Perfect balance.
Mike Moskos
This is an important book, but I have to ding it a star (maybe should have been 2) for being too long and often repetitive. That said, still worth a read.
Buffy
More from this suberb herbalist about plants and how our hearts are really organs of perception that can allow us to connect with plants.
Nicole
This is probably one of the most important books I have read to date, at least in as far as my scale of importance goes.
Arabella Holzapfel
Reading it a second time. And I just finished it the first time a couple months ago!
Arlene H.
Wow. Sensitive insight & logic.
I named my dog, Mullein, due to the heartfelt chapters.
Angie
Hard Science Findings behind plant spirit communication, analogous to heart's workings
I've just started this today and only read the introduction and I already love it!
Clivemichael Justice
Encouraging treatise on paying attention. Engaging. Worth reading again
Janine
An eye, heart, and soul-opening book in a search for the truth.
Jessie
May 02, 2008 Jessie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome... and more awesomer... the awesomestest.
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • The Secret Life of Plants: A fascinating account of the physical, emotional, and spiritual relations between plants and man
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life with Energy, Health, and Vitality
  • Nature-Speak: Signs, Omens and Messages in Nature
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle
  • The Death of Nature: Women, Ecology, and the Scientific Revolution
  • Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros
  • Intelligence in Nature
Stephen Harrod Buhner is an Earth poet and the award-winning author of ten books on nature, indigenous cultures, the environment, and herbal medicine. He comes from a long line of healers including Leroy Burney, Surgeon General of the United States under Eisenhower and Kennedy, and Elizabeth Lusterheide, a midwife and herbalist who worked in rural Indiana in the early nineteenth century. The great...more
More about Stephen Harrod Buhner...
Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation The Lost Language of Plants: The Ecological Importance of Plant Medicine to Life on Earth: The Ecological Importance of Plant Medicines to Life on Earth Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide) Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections

“Be not discouraged, keep on, there are divine things well envelop’d. I swear to you there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell. —WALT WHITMAN” 0 likes