Start by marking “Audition” as Want to Read:
Audition

Audition

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,033 ratings  ·  211 reviews
When high school junior Sara wins a coveted scholarship to study ballet, she must sacrifice everything for her new life as a professional dancer-in-training. Living in a strange city with a host family, she's deeply lonely-until she falls into the arms of Remington, a choreographer in his early twenties. At first, she loves being Rem's muse, but as she discovers a surprisi ...more
Published October 13th 2011 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Audition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Audition

Jasprit
(4.5 stars)

“Am I lonelier now
Than when my sad imagination
Had him disappear?
Heart torn,
Loosing tiny droplets
Of sorrow
No tape can measure
No needle can mend.”

I was ecstatic when I found out my library had a copy of Audition, as it was one of my highly anticipated books of the year. The greatest surprise was my library having a copy four days after its release date!! I wasted no time in downloading my copy (yes my great library does free e-books!!) and getting stuck in straight away. Let me tell you
Nomes
Audition is Stasia Ward Kehoe's highly anticipated YA verse novel debut.

At sixteen years, Sara leaves her friends and family, moves away on a scholarship to a prestigious dance school. Sara feels lost amongst her peers, who too often are pitched against one another competitively to form true friendship. Dancing is a constant discipline in which dancers strive for perfection with their routines and in their bodies. It is not an easy burden to bear, and you can feel the shackles and tension in th
Aleeeeeza
Mar 09, 2011 Aleeeeeza marked it as to-read
Shelves: v-v-verse
this book gets published on my eighteenth birthday! ha--thought that was kind of cool :D
I don't read a lot of novels in verse, nor do I read a lot about dance. The former is more because I don't really know how to sift through the good stuff and the bad stuff, the latter because dance (especially ballet) kind of freaks me out--the body obsessive, intense grind of it is extremely disturbing to me. However, despite my reluctance with both of these elements, Audition was a fantastic read.

Lots of interesting themes are tackled in this one:
-Fish out of water, rural girl in an urban, so
Eva
As a former dancer, I love movies and books about dancers---I'll never dance again (long story) but it is nice to be back in the world of dance for that short period of time; it's good to read about/watch girls who struggled with the things I struggled with in the ballet world.

However, I wasn't a big fan of Audition. First of all, it was in verse, without actually being in verse, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. If you're going to write in verse, don't just write sentences and periodically hit
April
It’s offical. I love books written in free verse. I love how these books play with form and how the sparseness can sometimes hit me harder than prose. Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe is awesome, plus it’s nice to read a free verse book that’s not about the dangerous world of drugs.

Read the rest of my review here
Kristi
A beautifully told novel in verse from debut author, Stasia Ward Kehoe.

I love reading novels in verse. The gift of some authors to be able to tell an emotionally powerful story with just a few words. It blows my mind!

Although I wasn’t familiar with some of the literature pertaining to the specifics of ballet, I never felt lost, I just simply imagined the graceful moves that I’ve seen ballerinas preform several times.

Sara, at the age of sixteen, is a child in many ways when she arrives in the
Somer
I love verse novels! I never thought I would like them because I thought they would be like hard to understand poetry, but they are so not! This novel, like other verse novels, was like reading a song. It flows effortlessly along, and before you know it, its over. The author chooses powerful words, because there are so few words used.

The fact that Audition was a verse novel made me like the book. I did, however, have a few issues with the characters. Sara was the main character, and I just didn’
Sixteen year old Sara has spent her life preparing to be a dancer. So when she wins a scholarship to a ballet school, it seems like her dreams are right on track. And then there's Remington, the gorgeous dancer in his twenties. Caught up in an affair where she's part girlfriend, part muse - but never a ballerina - Sara begins to stumble. Working out her confusion in her school writing assignments, Sara discovers a new talent, and begins to realize that there just may be another, better dream wa ...more
ALPHAreader
At sixteen, Sara is living many ballerinas’ dreams. She has been given a scholarship to study at a prestigious dance academy in the big city. But following your dreams is harder than it seems . . . Sara is in constant competition with her dance peers. Training is a gruelling affair and the weight of success rests heavy on her shoulders – when she thinks of all those who are so sure she will excel.

The more Sara dances, the more she wonders if she even enjoys going through the motions any more.

But
Gretchen McNeil
I first heard about AUDITION when Stasia and I toured together with Stages on Pages. After listening to Stasia speak so eloquently and passionately about dance (she's been a dancer since about the time she learned how to walk) I knew I needed to read this novel.

Still, I'm not going to lie: reading a novel in verse kind of scared the hell out of me.

But I was surprised. After about four of five pages, my brain had adapted to the style and the cadence of the verse (kind of like how when I read book
Heather
There are so many things that I am not okay with about this book. The whole thing was about a 22 year old male and a 16 year old dancer having a regular and lengthy sexual relationship with no consequences. Not only is that illegal, but there wasn't any closure to the fact that the she is essentially being used the entire time. Does anyone else think it is creepy that Rem peeps on Sara while she is changing? I know teen/ adult liasons happen in the real world, but not okay! Add the fact that she ...more
Elizabeth Whitford
I really loved parts of this book. Some things were just so beautiful and brilliant, but some left me a little disappointed and unsatisfied.
The writing was what stood out to me the most as it was written in first person present tense, giving it that beautiful poetic feel. This book was also written in verse adding to the whimsical nature of the writing style.
It seemed like the words were cut down to the most basic and simplistic form. To explain with just a few words a whole scene and achiev
Melanie Goodman
After a terrifying audition, Sara wins a scholarship to the Jersey Ballet for a year. Though it’s not the most prestigious of the ballet schools, it’s certainly a step up for a dancer from a tiny school in Vermont. Sara moves away from her family and friends to live with one of the school’s teachers, attend a private high school, and then attend grueling hours of dance classes, tours, and performances.

The dance world is extremely competitive. Sara is filled with self doubt, unsure whether her sm
Joy (joyous reads)
Dare I tell that since I came here to dance
I have been giving pieces of my body away
To ridiculous diets,
To repeated injuries,
To Remington?
And that maybe
I think
With each bit of my body
I lose a little piece of my soul.

This isn't a book about a girl's ultimate dream to be a prima ballerina at a prestigious dance company. This is a book about her realizing that dance is so far off her horizon, it's basically out in space. It was really hard to figure out how dance came to be Sara's life. Was it due
Cass -  Words on Paper
3.5/5

I was so excited to read AUDITION! I jump to the chance to read any dancing YA novel. I admit, I was worried that my expectations wouldn't be met, but for the most part I was quite pleased with what I found.

This cover is also beautiful as anything, and I can definitely picture both models as Sara and Rem. The pose is intimate, and pretty dead-on. The cover could almost be a bit busy - if the quote wasn't blurred in like it is. The title & quote fonts are nice, and the title itself is si
Brittany
Sara is sixteen and from Vermont. She started ballet in a basement studio in her small town. She is thrilled and surprised when she is offered a scholarship to study ballet in New Jersey. She feels like she's finally on the track to becoming a professional ballerina. Once she is there though, doubts start to creep in. She starts to feel unsure of who she is and what she wants. Things get even more complicated when she starts to fall for twenty-something Remington. He has a girlfriend, but they s ...more
Morgan
Audition was an amazing book. I won this on goodreads first reads and I must say I’m not disappointed!
This book is about a girl trying to find herself. Sara has always wanted to be Ballerina she’s never thought of anything else. She puts everything in her dancing, no matter what people say. That’s until she meets Remington one of the choreographers at the studio. Soon they start to have a brewing, sexy, secretive relationship. She starts to consider a knew future. One with Remington. But does h
Sara
This book was just okay for me. It was actually quite sad. The main character, Sara, seemed to not know what she wanted, but did what others like her parents wanted. She wants to be a ballerina, and auditions and gets into a program on scholarship for her junior year. Through the hardships of being a ballerina, she struggles with how she feels about her life. Dancing, school, writing, friends.

Then there is Remington. She gets a crush on him right away. And one day he invites her to the diner, k
Gabrielle Carolina
Audition is a novel told in verse about Sara, a ballerina who is struggling with her decisions.

Sara was a very frustrating character, from page one she seemed unhappy with her dreams of being a ballerina, unsatisfied with her position as a dancer in the troupe. The only time I admired Sara was during her brief stints of confidence as Remington's muse. These scenes held my interest the most, even though any reader could see Rem was not the man Sara thought he was.

Long Review TK
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
This is not one I'm even going to bother reviewing on my blog. I finished it, but only through strength of will as I was completely bored to tears by the time I reached the end. I didn't like the main characters, they were all spoiled brats. And being in verse did nothing for this novel. If you want a good verse novel, go read something by Ellen Hopkins.
Cathy Blackler
Not my usual genre, but something I thought my students might enjoy. Kehoe has written a bruttaly frank tale about what we are willing to give up to become who we think we need to be.
Got to see the book in person. The back cover is even cooler than the front. The first few pages are interesting, will definatly read once it comes out. Tell all friends to like this book!
Jen Petro-Roy
Well-written, but I never quite felt close to Sara, or felt the depth of her feelings for Remington. Lots of concepts, but none 100% developed.
Glenda
Not for younger secondary readers. A beautifully written verse novel.
Nic
Mar 02, 2011 Nic marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011
I adore this cover! Can't wait for this to come out :)
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

Heartbreaking.....more to come.
J.N.
I love reading about dancing, particularly ballet. It has always fascinated me. So when I saw Audition on the shelf, there was no hesitating in grabbing it. I haven't read many verse novels, but this one is absolutely beautiful.

Examples of author's beautiful verse:

But with Rem, I want to be sixteen
Or, like Alice in Wonderland,
Sometimes smaller
Sometimes bigger still.

In bed at night
When I can't sleep,
I think of Rodya dreaming of horses,
Sonya's pale face,
The misdirected loves of the Bennet sisters.
Chloe
This book was a very quiet book. Normally I like quiet books, but something about this verse was just slightly off kilter to me. It was very awkward in the beginning, but I got used to it more toward the middle. It was kind of like the author didn't quite want to write full sentences but she didn't utilize the advantages of a novel written in verse as much as she could have.

Ballet has always fascinated me. It has such a distinct culture of constantly striving for excellence in such a harsh mann
Brooklyn
Brooklyn marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Small Town Sinners
  • Wherever You Go
  • Breaking Pointe: A Ballet Novel
  • You Are My Only
Stasia Kehoe grew up dancing and performing on stages from New Hampshire to Washington, DC. She now writes books for young adults and choreographs the occasional musical.
More about Stasia Ward Kehoe...
The Sound of Letting Go I Live on a Farm I Live at a Military Post I Live in the Mountains Tara Lipinski: Superstar Ice-Skater

“I feel his arm
Lightly
Over me.
He takes one of my outstretched hands.
Draws it beneath my stomach.

"One more time..."

This is not sex,
Not friendship.
Something
Strange
Special
In the stillness of his breath,
The waterlike way he moves.

He is making a dance.
We are making a dance.”
27 likes
“I am pretty sure the myth of me
Is better than the reality.”
20 likes