Start by marking “The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland: 101 Things You Didn't Know about the Emerald Isle” as Want to Read:

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  29 reviews
More than 20 million Americans claim some sort of Irish heritage. But how much do you really know about this amazing country? Forget about shamrocks, leprechauns, and all that blarney--this book is a concise and authoritative guide that dispels the myths and tells the true stories of the Irish. Highlights include: Who St. Patrick really wasThe story behind "Sunday Bloody S ...more
Published January 18th 2011 by Adams Media Corporation (first published December 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland

I thought it was and interesting book about the history of Ireland, which is mostly about English control that shaped the politics of the Isle. There are some stories about legends and lore mixed in. The book helps me understand the Potato Famine and why the heck there ate so many Irish descendants here in America. I also got some insight to my own ancestry, which is Scotch-Irish Protestant. I always wondered why my Scottish ancestors, the MacNaughton Clan went to Donegal. I surmise they did so ...more
The title of this work is The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland, but there's hardly any of that in this book. And while the info presented was interesting, it had very little to do with what was promised. This book reads like a history textbook, briefly touching on the main elements of Ireland's religious, political, and ethnic culture without actually revealing anything beyond what's available on Wikipedia. I'd hoped the book actually had actual stories from Ireland's rich treasure trove of m ...more
I just finished the Kindle version of this book, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The authors give their readers a quick overview of Irish history--starting with ancient lore, and continuing right through the present day. The tone of the book is conversational and informal, making it a comfortable read. Chapters occasionally backtrack along the timeline to fill in a detail or two, but the book is mostly chronological. I liked that the authors include information about Irish emigrants to other countri ...more
Light and Historic

An easy and light read spanning the history of Ireland. There were a lot of things I already knew, but I liked the later sections on modern history. It was interesting to see the ties the past has to the modern day, and how that has shaped the Emerald Isle.
Danielle Morency
Although I wanted to know more about Ireland's mythology and lore, I do feel I have a greater grasp on the conflict between the Northern Republic of Ireland and the rest of the island, and how it started so many centuries ago.
A concise overview of the history of Ireland and all things Irish (language, beliefs, and culture). It gives a good outline for things that one may want to explore in further depth. This seemed like appropriate reading in preparation for St. Patrick's Day!
What a delightful and interesting read this was! I learned a lot about Ireland's history, notable persons, and myths that I'd never heard of before. If you have an interest in Ireland, consider reading this book.
Maria Arnt
Mar 15, 2012 Maria Arnt rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one!
Firstly, the title is very misleading, as it's more about the political travesties faced by Ireland in the last several centuries than anything else. As for mythology, you'd have to know next to nothing about Irish mythology for this book to be informative. Lastly, the entire thing is coated in a nasty anti-Catholic attitude that even a severely liberal Catholic such as myself finds offensive. The kindle edition I read was rife with typographical errors to boot. Glad I didn't pay for it (picked ...more
Didn't even finish it. Some was interesting but it just read too much like a high school paper to me.
I got this for free on my kindle last St. Patrick's day. From the title I thought it would be about leprechauns and fairies and whatnot. But it is a historical over view of Ireland. A little boring and dry, but kind of interesting, only because it is gory and barbaric.

In the end this was a great little read about Ireland. I knew almost nothing about Ireland before reading this book. Hackney doesn't go into a lot of detail about the events, but the book starts with pre-history and covers until cu
I read this book as I was travelling to Ireland as I wanted to find out as much about the beautiful place that I would visit as I could.

I started off with the stone ages and talks about what techiques they used to use in machinery then it moves along through history until the present age.

What I wanted to brush up on was the topic of Independence from the United Kindom as well as the "troubles" between the protestants and Catholics.

It make me understand the political murals so much more when I sa
Basic but useful take on Irish myths (not a lot), legends (not much of that either) and Lore (eh nope). It goes into some detail about how Ireland came about, and the how the human drama played out which finally turned into Celtic tiger (Not sure if an updated version would have the bit about how the tiger turned out to be Garfield in drag).

Good read if you don't know much about Ireland's past, and need a chronologically set introduction into the hard and often extremely unpleasant past that Ire

I really enjoyed this book. The information was interesting & I feel like I actually learned something about Ireland & it's culture. It even has a brief Gaelic pronunciation guide in the appendix & a few Irish sayings/blessings. I am very glad that I picked this up. It doesn't hurt that it was free on the Kindle around St. Patty's day! A worthwhile & informative read.
Mandy Dubiansky
Dreadfully boring. As others have mentioned, the title is very deceiving. It should have been titled 'The Politics and Religion of Ireland'. If it had been, I never would have downloaded it...not even for free! I also cannot neglect to mention the several typos throughout the book.
Teresa Parker
Kind of gives very short explanations of conflicts and can be a little confusing. It's almost like a short explanation of most of the history of Ireland. I haven't enjoyed it very much, but I always finish what I start.
Being Irish I knew quite a bit of what this book covered but there was some things I didn't know. It was so well written in short concise chapters. Very easy to read and is a great introduction into Ireland and her history.
Andrew Mcneill
Nice overview of the history of Ireland and various bits and pieces about Irish culture. It is good to dip in and out of since the chapters are short. Some of them aren't terribly engaging though.
A good beginner's book on some basic history of Ireland. It was a bit dry, though, towards the end. But I enjoyed the condensed version and look forward to reading more details.
This book was not at all what I expected. The information was presented in what seemed to be the most boring way possible. Ireland is so interesting, but this book made it dull.
A little dry but lots of good information about the history of Ireland. The Gaelic spellings and pronunciations make it a bit hard to remember what I had read.
Kevin Hughes
Well I was underwhelmed by the writing quality but the content was enjoyable enough. Id have liked to have more phonetic guides to all the Irish terms and names...
This book offers a variety of stories and short histories of Ireland. Good to get a handle of some of the history and culture of the country.
Written in very short little chapters. Some history, some legend, some plain old stories. Easy to read and fairly interesting.
Nice and brief piece about Irish myths and history overview - "Irish basics" for those interested.
An enjoyable, if lightweight, macro-history of Ireland and it's culture.
Rachel Oehler
learned a lot about the history of Ireland. very informative.
boring! the title is about the most exciting thing about this book
Mar 12, 2012 AH marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle-freebies
Kindle free download 3/12/12. Sounds interesting.
I enjoyed reading this book. I found it very informative.
O. Poole
O. Poole marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Lady Scandal
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Fever Moon
  • The Everything Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Book: A Portrait of an American Icon
  • Windswept
  • Confessions of a Las Vegas Motor Cop
  • Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally
  • Irish Myths and Legends
  • Hystera
  • Pay Me in Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #1)
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Breaths in Winter