Start by marking “Some Kind of Wonderful” as Want to Read:
Some Kind of Wonderful
read ebook

Some Kind of Wonderful

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,481 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Fans of Nora Roberts, Kristin Hannah, Susan Wiggs and Robyn Carr will enjoy this emotional, heartwarming romance from Award-Winning Author Barbara Freethy.

Originally published by Avon Books

RITA Award-winning author, Barbara Freethy is known for her unforgettable stories, where ordinary people find extraordinary love -- and where unexpected soulmates are sometimes found ri
Published February 17th 2011 by Barbara Freethy (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Some Kind of Wonderful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Kind of Wonderful

Cindie
Some Kind of Wonderful was just that. I loved every page and will read this story over and over again. I fell in love with Barbara Freethy's writing style a year ago and each story just grabs my heart more than the last. If you haven't given her books a try yet, get started with this one!
Limau Nipis
Ok, I have been stalling. This is only my 2nd read by Barbara Freethy after the wonderful Just the Way You Are.

I have to spend days to finish this book. Sometimes I wonder whether this book is stuck at the 90s era - well, I imagine a fixed phone set, women with big hairdo (you get the idea). Even though at one point of time, the hero, Matt, used a cellphone - but still, the story feels old.

This book lacks the punch. Seriously.

It just had to have a baby to make to book going forward. I feel reall
Cindy Vine
I have to be up-front here, I am not the target audience for this genre. I seldom read love stories as I find them predictable and cheesy. However, after reading a whole lot of legal thrillers and psychological thrillers I decided I needed to read something completely different, something to make me feel good about the world. I can't quite remember how I came upon Some kind of wonderful, but I'm glad I did. It is well-written with great realistic characters. The story is pretty good as well and ...more
Joanne
what can i say? It is a lite and easy read, without too much surprise or any of the "wow" factor. Its a simple love story, its romance, iits real. What i wasn't expected is how well written this book to be without having it to be a cheesy romance. Although, as 99.9% romance books goes, the happy ever after ending is pretty much predicted from the word read. This book can consider one of Freethy's better work. However, nothing out standing from it.
Cheryl
I really enjoyed this one. It may be a hard read for anyone that struggles with infertility, but it's a beautifl story of.coming together as a family. I was hopimg there was a sequel when I reached.the end!
Cathleen
‘Some Kind of Wonderful’ by Barbara Freethy is a good, solid contemporary romance. Both the heroine and hero are well developed characters who become acquainted through the help of a crying baby. The baby was left in the hallway outside the apartment of the hero, Matt. The baby’s mother, Sarah, is the long lost sister of Matt. Matt and Sarah were separated after a fire started in the apartment they lived in with their mother.

When Matt hears a baby crying and opens his door to find a baby there
Lavinia
To be honest, I hate this kind of books. Sometimes I think they are far, far away from what I call reality, where everything is, of course, not like in the movies. But this is what I dont like about movies as well, you just cant see the details. Now, on the other side, I started reading this book just because it was free on amazon and I was trying to see if I can read on my kindle. I read few pages then I stopped: not another fairy book!!

Well, somehow yesterday I started reading it again. I was
Alex
Hello and Welcome to another free form review. This time I'm talking about Some Kind of Wonderful by Barbara Freethy. It tells the story of Matt Winters an investigative reporter that moved back to the San Francisco area where he grew up in hopes of finding his younger sister Sarah, whom he hasn't seen since they were split up as kids in foster care.

After a few weeks he hasn't made much progress, until the night he finds a baby in the hallway of his apartment building. In a panic he knocks on h
Kaitlin
Finish Time: 4-5 nights. As you can see in my book update post, I’m juggling a few books right now. I had finished Elizabeth Street prior to starting this one and needed something much shorter and lighter. Looking back, I apparently pick a lot of this author’s books, and didn’t even realize it until now. I think this is the first for the blog though. She writes a mean description that always ropes me in!

This one is the story of single-reporter Matt. Raised in a broken family and estranged from h
Cristina
3,5 stars

Matt Winters, un periodista de investigación quien se ha mudado recientemente a San Francisco, la ciudad en la que nació y vivió hasta la adolescencia, regresa a su apartamento una noche como de costumbre. Cansado y viviendo una rutina de soltero, se sorprende al encontrar a un bebé llorando frente a su puerta. Sin saber qué hacer y al borde del pánico recurre a la ayuda que tiene a mano, su vecina Caitlyn a quien nunca ha visto.

Caitlyn aún no se ha recobrado de las heridas físicas y ps
Caro
Pretty good freebie. I liked the characters and the story line. It was a little slow going at first but picked up a little through out the book. There were plenty of emotions, a variety of personalities, touching parts, inspiration, self-discovery and growth, some exasperation on my part, some sparks and steaminess, sweetness, and a really good ending. If this were a movie, it would be a little bit of a sappy chick flick. I enjoyed reading it, although it didn't pull me in directly, it had more ...more
Heather
This was a definite 3.75-4 stars for me. I was drawn in from the very start. The main characters have to deal with their own forms of loss, love and inner demons. Caitlyn is a likable character who has kept her most significant loss a secret until she is forced by love and trust to reveal it. Matt is a sensitive, caring man who has been haunted by his past. Together this couple is wonderful. I loved the honesty that they had with each other. Baby Emily was an interesting way to bring them togeth ...more
This one was just OK for me. It took me much longer to read than it should have because I didn't find the story that compelling. There was nothing spectacular about the story or the characters. I also felt like there was too much repetition in what the characters were thinking and feeling.
Lynn Smith
Loved this story, cried my eyes out, laughed. It's a wonderful story about self discovery for both the heroine and the hero. Both Matt and Caitlyn bring so much to their relationship, they are opposites but together they are a whole
Cindy Jacobson
This is a typical chick-lit book. I really did like the characters Matt and Caitlyn. There were secret, bad childhoods, missing people and an abandoned baby. I thought the author could have gone a little deeper with the characters and the ending felt very rushed. A good book to read if you just finished reading something heavy and deep.
Kimberly K
I read this awhile ago but never reviewed it. I got it free in the iTunes book store. It was my first Freethy book. And it stuck with me enough that when I saw another free Freethy offering, I downloaded it right away.

I liked it. It was sweet and had heart. I liked the characters. I'm sure I will read more Freethy books in the future.
Luc
I was a bit surprised with this book. I expected a mushy romance and I got a bit more than that. Matt and Caitlyn story starts when he finds a baby in the his flat's corridor and assumes it's hers. This is how two unlikely characters are brought together and what it seems- at first - to be a romance becames a thriller as they embarque on a search for the baby's mother. It only helps that, as the novel progresses, both Caitlyn & Matt have a troublesome past and therefore are not the normal, p ...more
Princess
Another cute read by Barbara Freethy. Loved both the main and secondary love stories in this book. The ending was just perfect. Loved it!
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Everything about this feels old - from the book cover to the setting to the characterization. I thought this was written, perhaps in the late 80s - early 90s but I was wrong. It was first published over 10 years ago, but it feels much, much older.

I like the writing and the pace of the story is pretty nice, but it lacks the 'ooomph' factor. It was just nice - which is better than bad, of course. But it could have been better. This is the first time I read anything written by the author, so this
J.B. Stockings
I keep reading Barbara Freethy hoping to find something that equals Summer Secrets and have never found it yet, although this one isn't bad. I liked the two main characters (although the ex boyfriend was a bit unbelievably clueless in my book), and the baby thrown in was something I haven't read much in romance novels, but there was something missing that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's just the whole "guy has to realize he wants to settle down" story line that is just getting boring.
Pam Kaminsky appelbaum
Found a new author to follow. had good story line, great characters and good flow of text. highly recommend.
Jessica Thomas
This book is definitely a girly romance novel. It's not raunchy and overly graphic; I got it as used book store and read it over our Christmas vacation. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down and almost finished it in one sitting. It's nothing I would have normally read but I'm glad I did. If your looking for a book that will give you the same effect that a chick-flick will (think Serendipity meets Raising Helen ... kind of) you'll enjoy this book.
LJ
Some Kind of Wonderul - G
Barbara Freethy
It's the kind of story investigative reporter Matt Winters writes about -- not the kind he wants to be living. When he discovers a newborn baby girl on his doorstep, he panics ... then he desperately turns to his temptingly pretty neighbor Caitlyn Devereaux for help. After all, women are supposed to know everything about babies!
Beth
What a wonderful story of redemption, acceptance and new beginnings. I appreciated the "real-ness" of Caitlyn's desires, struggles, and "demons" she had to overcome. I loved the intertwining of all the characters and how each one of them had to work through their own issues but they did it together! I can't wait to read more from Barbara Freethy!
Heather
Kind of schizo story line -- ordinary, inoffensive romance plot about a wedding dress designer, reporter, and cute baby, meets somewhat more histrionic plot about a life altering accident and a controlling mother, meets completely over-the-top plot about postpartum depression, a sketchy preacher-romance, and an arsonist angel.
Hirni Patel
A sweet story which engages the reader very well. Very well written. A story of how Matt's lost sister, Sarah, leaves her baby at his apartment door and she was the one who brought Cait, his next door neighbour closer to him. Emotions of the past, present and future fell right in place and was executed very well.
Chanel
This is my first book by this author. What I liked about her style, is she gives the reader great insight into the characters. What I did not like, there was no Epilogue.
Matt and Caitlyn were both likable, strong but wounded individuals. Their scenes with baby, Emily, were so touching.
Sandy
This book caught my interest right away. I enjoyed this book I loved the characters and the way the author describes them. The book has a love story and mystery all at the same time and I like when a book has different stories going on. It is a good read one you don't want to put down...
Cary
I don't know what is happening lately but it seems like I have been reading a lot of "tortured souls" who don't deserve happiness/love! It does grow old rather quickly. Not a bad story but rather predictable. At least the sex was not so overtly spelled out so this was cleaner than most.
Imaginereader
Wish this book had an epiloque, left me wanting for a closer badly. It made me cry to read about Caitlyn's pain and I wanted to hate Sarah but I couldn't. The minister was very cute, I wish I could've seen more about him at the end too. very good story.
  • Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)
  • Take A Deep Breath
  • Sweet Water
  • Finding Pride (The Pride #1)
  • Kisses to Remember
  • A Man Called Blue
  • Color My Horse (Racetrack Romance, #1)
  • Operation Date Escape
  • Moonlight and Margaritas
  • Love & The Goddess
  • Marrying Cade
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana #2)
  • Dead End Job
  • Build A Man (Serenity Holland, #1)
  • Maybe Fate
  • Return to Audubon Springs (Brothers of Audubon Springs, #1)
  • If We Dare to Dream: The Evans Family, Book One
  • The Memory of You (Return to Redemption, #0.5)
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara has since published 35 nov
More about Barbara Freethy...
Just the Way You Are Don't Say a Word Ryan's Return All She Ever Wanted Silent Run (Silent, #1)

“It's not your imagination. I hear it, too." Another shriek made Matt pause. "I'll talk to you later." He put the phone down and walked to the door. The only other tenant on this side of the L-shaped building was a single woman he had yet to meet. He opened the door, but there was no one there. Actually, there” 0 likes
“Okay, just be quiet for a second, would you?" He squatted down next to the baby and patted the baby's head, which only seemed to make him -- or was that her -- more angry.” 0 likes