Start by marking “Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age” as Want to Read:
Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age

Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age

From wedding announcements to IOUs, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of scripts—some “classic,” others eccentric. Derived from handwriting, these are typefaces that are stylized to suggest, imply, or symbolize certain traits linked to writing. Their fundamental characteristic is that all the letters, more or less, touch each other.

Scripts tend to fall in and out of f
Published May 9th 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scripts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scripts

Ellen
Jun 10, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-and-design
When I was little I developed a fascination with Holy Cards. I collected them like my brother collected baseball cards. Looking back I realize now it was more an indication of my obsession with design rather than a study of the saints. Everything about them was beautiful to me, especially the type setting on the back. How I longed to write with that kind of delicate flourish.

What's the point of this story? None other than this book is a collection of script typefaces and is almost as beautiful
Jane
Dec 07, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of eye candy! Not only the scripts, but also the gorgeous ephemera they're printed on.
Jocelin
Mar 01, 2017 Jocelin rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
There is nothing more perfect than the beautiful swirl of elegant script. This is a lost art form that will probably not exist in the next few years, except on computer fonts. It is such a shame.
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book is seriously beautiful, and unlike Just My Type: A Book about Fonts, almost 100% visual. I know scripts and fonts are not quite the same thing, but this would be a great gift for anyone who likes either, or just plain eye candy and ads from another era.
Christine Neo
Jul 08, 2013 Christine Neo rated it liked it
Great reference for anyone interested in typography and graphic design in general. I'm an illustrator interested in hand lettering and calligraphy, and this book has come in handy. Even though the collection is made up of mostly sources from the past century, it is not difficult to adapt them for contemporary use.
Anne
Dec 04, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book for anyone who loves type, design and calligraphy. So inspiring and lovely to flip through or study . This is a great book to set out on your coffee table and enjoy! would make a beautiful gift. it certainly made me more aware of looking at all the print, signage, type, labelling, and advertising I come across in my daily life. Loved, loved, loved it!
Greta
Mar 26, 2013 Greta rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book was pure eye candy if you are a font enthusiast, if you enjoy lovely design, handwriting and vintage products and especially if you're fascinated by various cultures' (French, British, German, Italian, American) versions of those things.
Eling
Jan 28, 2013 Eling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, 2013
Not a ton of information here, but what there is is great, and the photos/illustrations more than make up for it. Amazing collection of lettering & vintage ephemera. Gorgeous. I will be returning to this often.
Penny
May 18, 2014 Penny rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautifully designed book. Its giving me a lot of inspiration for calligraphy ideas
RW Press
Jul 25, 2013 RW Press rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of script typography. Great for those days when inspiration is lacking.
Sam
Oct 05, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing
As advertised in terms of quality and depth.
Daniella
Daniella rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2012
Subjuntivo Subjuntivo
Subjuntivo Subjuntivo rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Clever Name
Clever Name rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Lolobull
Lolobull rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Angie Sandy
Angie Sandy rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Kari Neuberger
Kari Neuberger rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Cara Condon
Cara Condon rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Cláudia Pereira
Cláudia Pereira rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Glynnis
Glynnis rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Alison Slamon
Alison Slamon rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Craig M
Craig M rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Nav
Nav rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Meredith Lee
Meredith Lee rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Odysseas O
Odysseas O rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 1, 1628-1900)
  • Sign Painters
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • Little Book of Lettering
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • The Art of Calligraphy: A Practical Guide to the Skills and Techniques
  • Cover
  • Essay on Typography
  • Pantone: The Twentieth Century in Color
  • I Wonder
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • The Complete Manual of Typography
Steven Heller writes a monthly column on graphic design books for The New York Times Book Review and is co-chair of MFA Design at the School of Visual Arts. He has written more than 100 books on graphic design, illustration and political art, including Paul Rand, Merz to Emigre and Beyond: Avant Garde Magazine Design of the Twentieth Century, Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design Second Ed ...more
More about Steven Heller...