Start by marking “Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age” as Want to Read:
Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age

Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From wedding announcements to IOUs, there are hundreds, perhaps
thousands, of scripts—some “classic,” others eccentric. Derived from
handwriting, these are typefaces that are stylized to suggest, imply, or
symbolize certain traits linked to writing. Their fundamental characteristic is that all the letters, more or less, touch each other.

Scripts tend to fall in and out of fash
Published May 9th 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scripts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scripts

Ellen
When I was little I developed a fascination with Holy Cards. I collected them like my brother collected baseball cards. Looking back I realize now it was more an indication of my obsession with design rather than a study of the saints. Everything about them was beautiful to me, especially the type setting on the back. How I longed to write with that kind of delicate flourish.

What's the point of this story? None other than this book is a collection of script typefaces and is almost as beautiful
Kamila Forson
There is no story in Scripts -- at least, not a written one. It is a visual record of typography from the 19th to the mid-20th century from the USA, Britain, France, Italy, and Germany. It is a vintage visual feast, and I love to just flip through and take in the colors and textures. It is the book equivalent to a vase of fresh flowers: it doesn't require your undivided attention but gives you a jolt of pleasure when you do notice it.
Jane
Lots of eye candy! Not only the scripts, but also the gorgeous ephemera they're printed on.
Anne
This is a beautiful book for anyone who loves type, design and calligraphy. So inspiring and lovely to flip through or study . This is a great book to set out on your coffee table and enjoy! would make a beautiful gift. it certainly made me more aware of looking at all the print, signage, type, labelling, and advertising I come across in my daily life. Loved, loved, loved it!
Penny
This is such a beautifully designed book. Its giving me a lot of inspiration for calligraphy ideas
Rebecca
This book is seriously beautiful, and unlike Just My Type: A Book about Fonts, almost 100% visual. I know scripts and fonts are not quite the same thing, but this would be a great gift for anyone who likes either, or just plain eye candy and ads from another era.
Christine Neo
Great reference for anyone interested in typography and graphic design in general. I'm an illustrator interested in hand lettering and calligraphy, and this book has come in handy. Even though the collection is made up of mostly sources from the past century, it is not difficult to adapt them for contemporary use.
Greta
Mar 26, 2013 Greta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
This book was pure eye candy if you are a font enthusiast, if you enjoy lovely design, handwriting and vintage products and especially if you're fascinated by various cultures' (French, British, German, Italian, American) versions of those things.
Eling
Not a ton of information here, but what there is is great, and the photos/illustrations more than make up for it. Amazing collection of lettering & vintage ephemera. Gorgeous. I will be returning to this often.
RW Press
A beautiful collection of script typography. Great for those days when inspiration is lacking.
Odoublegood
beautiful to look at; ideas and examples from several countries and several eras
Sam
As advertised in terms of quality and depth.
Nancy
Drool. J'aime the French ones beaucoup.
Susan Bin
this is the sexiest thing i have ever
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Vitória
Vitória marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Josh Spear
Josh Spear marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Viktoriya Tsoy
Viktoriya Tsoy marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Dc Dg
Dc Dg marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
The Magick School
The Magick School marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
✿Lilac✿
✿Lilac✿ marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Yaroslav Gorbal
Yaroslav Gorbal marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 1, 1628-1900)
  • Pantone: The Twentieth Century in Color
  • A Map of the World: The World According to Illustrators and Storytellers
  • Sign Painters
  • Essay on Typography
  • Little Book of Lettering
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design
  • Typographie =: Typography
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • Drawn In: A Peek into the Inspiring Sketchbooks of 44 Fine Artists, Illustrators, Graphic Designers, and Cartoonists
  • The Art of Calligraphy: A Practical Guide to the Skills and Techniques
  • By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)
  • I Wonder
Steven Heller writes a monthly column on graphic design books for The New York Times Book Review and is co-chair of MFA Design at the School of Visual Arts. He has written more than 100 books on graphic design, illustration and political art, including Paul Rand, Merz to Emigre and Beyond: Avant Garde Magazine Design of the Twentieth Century, Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design Second Ed ...more
More about Steven Heller...
100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design Typography Sketchbooks Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design New Vintage Type: Classic Fonts for the Digital Age Stylepedia: A Guide to Graphic Design Mannerisms, Quirks, and Conceits