Start by marking “Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories” as Want to Read:
Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories

Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  3,392 Ratings  ·  548 Reviews
Fourteen masters of speculative fiction, including two graphic storytellers, from Appalachia, ancient Rome, future Australia, and alternate California, create alternate universes where romance and technology reign. Where tinkerers and dreamers craft and re-craft a world of automatons, clockworks, calculating machines, and other marvels that never were. Where scientists and ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Candlewick (first published September 1st 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
84th out of 881 books — 3,939 voters
Silence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareCrossed by Ally CondieThe Iron Knight by Julie KagawaPandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Most Exciting Books Coming Out Fall 2011
82nd out of 228 books — 917 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
Sep 30, 2011 Tatiana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in steampunk (not steampunk romance)
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
I haven't enjoyed a YA anthology this much since Zombies Vs. Unicorns. Picking authors who can write and have a lot of interest in the genre, as opposed to those who are popular, really paid off here. (The only exception to this assumption is the opening short story by Cassandra Clare. But I guess there was no way to avoid that as Clare is currently considered to be the shining beacon of YA steampunk and thus assigned as the main attraction in this book.)

The subtitle of the collection is An Anth
Jonathan Peto
Dec 24, 2012 Jonathan Peto rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Short story anthologies are tough. This one is a strong three stars. Even though there were no lost causes, as I read I never thought I'd give it four. Some stories soared, but I guess not high enough or long enough.

Another thing, and it is a Catch-22, but I found myself impatiently flipping pages at times, wondering how many remained. I longed for novels, I think. I wanted the stories to draw me in faster and deep, some did, yet I was still impatient, wondering when it would end.

One last thing.
Kelly
Dec 01, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Steampunk!: An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories is a new young adult collection edited by veteran anthologists Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant. Featuring twelve conventional short stories and two graphic entries, Steampunk! showcases a wide variety of ideas and styles that fall under the steampunk umbrella. The collection is entertaining and is lent extra freshness by the variety of settings explored by the authors: none of the stories are set in Victorian London.

The book begins
Alexandra
Jun 05, 2011 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, lss

I love the idea of steampunk. I love the fashion it has inspired, and the subculture around it, and I want to love the fiction. I haven't read a whole lot of it yet, for various reasons, and what I have read hasn't always worked for me. This anthology, though - put together by Kelly Link and Gavin Grant, coming out from Candlewick Press - makes me very happy indeed. It might be the fact that it is aimed at the YA market that helps it hit the mark so well. It takes the notion of steampunk and doe
Jul 07, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: extended-reviews
Overall, a solid compilation. A couple of stories weren’t steampunkish enough (Link’s) and/or compelling (Knox’s). Even Garth Nix’s entry was just a short shaggy dog story, as it were, though the punch line did make you think. But there were far more excellent tales than not. Clare, Bray, Doctorow, Rowe, and Black kept true to the theme and turned out enjoyable and imaginative stories. “The Oracle Engine,” with its basis in Roman history, was interesting for a while, but it soon became obvious ...more
Eric
Sep 13, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Steampunk fans
Recommended to Eric by: Free download on Amazon.com
I only read the Cory Doctorow story 'Clockwork Fagin', as I picked up a free preview copy of the story on my Kindle. Doctorow proves with his story that he does steampunk just as well as he does cyberpunk. It was definitely good enough to make me consider buying the entire anthology.
Miss
Mar 02, 2012 Miss rated it really liked it
Overall, a quality collection. There's at least five stories I really really liked and none I'd call anything worse than mediocre. My favourites are starred.

Some Fortunate Days by Cassandra Clare: In retrospect it's probably a good thing this was the first story of the collection. It's not terrible but the next couple stories hit it out of the park and there's no way this wouldn't have felt like a disappointment if I'd read it after Libba Bray or Cory Doctorow's story. I also think she took the
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Aug 08, 2014 Tzu-Mainn Chen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been struggling to understand what 'steampunk' means. A month ago, I'd have mentioned such words as 'Victorian', 'invention', 'pipes', and 'weird' before giving up and muttering 'steam' and 'punk'. This anthology has its share of all these things, but as I read through these stories - many of them good, a few of them great - I realized that steampunk is more than its accoutrements. It's an almost spiritual belief that technology can achieve miracles, wonders, and perhaps even transcendence. ...more
Rebecca
Jun 05, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Really excellent collection of steampunk stories, some of them well out of the usual mold. (The steampunk ancient Roman Empire was a particularly nice touch.) The graphic stories didn't win my heart as much, but they're a nice way to break things up. Link's own contribution is a very interesting story, but the only one of the batch I wouldn't actually classify as steampunk.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Steampunk is a fun genre, one I have begun to explore with excitement. While I have not loved all of the steampunk novels I have read to this point, I have uniformly enjoyed the idea behind them, the out-of-place mechanization accepted as normal in an otherwise old-fashioned society. What attracts me most to this, I expect, is the similarity between steampunk and magical realism, the only difference being that the magic lies in the technology.

With such thoughts in mind, I was eager to read this
Claire Legrand
A spectacular, mesmerizing anthology. Each of these stories haunted me, their unique takes on steampunk ranging from the beautiful to the grotesque, from downright creepy (I'm looking at you, Holly Black) to utterly heartbreaking (Dylan Horrocks). It speaks to the masterful craftsmanship and artistry of the contributing authors (and editors) that this anthology felt so cohesive while, at the same time, no two stories were even remotely alike. Yes, the thread of steampunk binds them together, but ...more
Maria D'Isidoro
One of the best anthologies I've read in a long time. While there were a few stories that made me wonder why they were being considered steampunk, I enjoyed all of them. Okay, so Seven Day Beset by Demons was a let down, but that was the only one.

These authors are not steampunk authors, or even genre writers. Where so many steampunk writers seem to think of the world before the story, these are simply authors who have taken on the concept of steampunk and used it to accent a story, and for that,
Oct 23, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
I invariably like steampunk more when it is taken out of its expected context. Kelly Link and Gavin Grant went out of their way to do that with this delightful YA anthology. I love that the stories are set in Appalachia and Canada and Australia and ancient Rome, and that they intersect with the tropes of time travel and alternate world fiction, among other subgenres. The YA protagonists also provide a refreshing perspective on the genre. My favorite pieces in the book were Cory Doctorow's ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 26, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was ok
Interesting, but it's just playing into a short-lived fad of nerds who like to destroy vintage cameras and pocketwatches and go to conventions. It's trendy but these stories might not have the same meaning next year, five years later or a generation later as they do today.
Vicki
Jun 05, 2012 Vicki is currently reading it
The book walked away from me I think that another reader in my house has absconded with it.
An Odd1
Jan 17, 2013 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fan
13 short stories chosen by Kelly Link, Gavin J. Grant, 5* for most delightfully humorous, even gripping horrors are wonderfully written. Doctorow's "Clockwork Fagin" - ending decisively positive, my favorite. Second fave hints at Happy Ever After, Wilce's "Hand ..", also Sherman's Gwemlich "Ghost ..". Others are up in the air, doomfull, even the two pictorial tales.

Memorable unforgettable tragedy, Nix's "Peace ..", resonates for anyone ever subjected to noise sleep deprivation torture, whether
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
Like most anthologies, the stories within Steampunk! fall into three categories: Fantastic, Mediocre, and Bloody Awful. I will give the authors and editors credit, though, in that, for the most part, they're not your average steampunk. Not only are most of the stories not set in the traditional Victorian London milieu, the stories have settings ranging from Appalachia, Canada, New Zealand, Wales and beyond, from ancient Rome to futures both bleak and fantastical.

Here's a breakdown of those stori
Karen morsecode
Jun 23, 2011 Karen morsecode rated it really liked it
Firmly rooted in Victorian London, steampunk has often been a bit too Anglo- and Eurocentric[footnote]. One of the things that's so refreshing about Steampunk! is that its diversity of setting, story, character, format. Something that was achieved by asking the anthology's contributors, whose ranks include both big names and virtual unknowns, for "stories that explored and expanded their own ideas of what steampunk could be" (8).

I read Steampunk! over the course of a month or six weeks. While I
Dec 08, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories is just that and anthology of fantastically rich and strange stories and so I gave each story a different rating but the average comes out at 4 stars.

So to the stories,

Some Fortunate Future Day by Cassandra Clare:
5 stars
This story was fantastic and just a brilliant start into the book. As you all probably know I love Cassandra Clare and even in this short story I love her writing and storytelling technique. I'm not going to spoil
Samantha Boyette
Dec 04, 2011 Samantha Boyette rated it really liked it
So, as a rule, I don't really like short stories. I'm not the person who picks up a book of them and gets excited. However, I figured this book would be a good intro to the steampunk genre. I have to say, I like it better than any other book of short stories I've read. While I didn't fall in love with all the stories, I didn't want to skip any of them either. Below you will find a short review of each story.

Some Fortunate Future Day:
I really don't like Cassandra Clare. I sludged through her book
Shaheen
Nov 27, 2012 Shaheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection of steampunk short stories from YA authors. It is a really entertaining read and perfect for when I had a few minutes and didn't want to start a new book. Unfortunately, the stories from the authors I already know were largely disappointing, with the notable exception of Libba Bray, and I was impressed with stories by a lot of authors whom I'd only vaguely or never heard of before. Overall a really nice read, and well worth the money I spent.

Some Fortunate Future
Aimee
Mar 28, 2016 Aimee rated it it was amazing
I think this book deserves reviews for each of its stories. So, without further ado:

Some Fortunate Future Day: this one was disappointing for Cassandra Claire standards. Of course it had some intriguing pieces with the time machine and the story about the war and the Rose's father, but Rose was a complete idiot. The dolls were my favorite though, because at least there was humor.

The Last Ride of the Glory Girls: super interesting! I loved the glory girls and the narrator's story. The story was
Amber
Do you love steampunk? Have you heard of it, but do not quite understand it? Then this anthology is for you!

Read about alternate universes, automatons, scientists, Romans, orphans, airships, and other steampunk-related gadgetry by fourteen popular authors in Steampunk! an Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories.

Some Fortunate Future Day by Cassandra Clare: Ever since her father went away to the war, Rose has lived mostly alone at the house with her talking automaton dolls, Ellen and
A.J. Bauers
May 26, 2016 A.J. Bauers rated it really liked it
I love the idea behind this anthology. All stories included were to be steampunk and they weren't allowed to be set in Victorian England. Considering how much this genre loves its Victorian England, I thought this was an excellent idea to expand the genre. Rather than talk about all of the stories, I'll discuss my three favorites.

Clockwork Fagian by Cory Doctorow was a delightfully, gruesome tale. In a home for severely crippled children led by an evil man named Grinder, the kids must use their
Owen
Jun 05, 2012 Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, library, ebook
My town is preparing for its very first steampunk festival hootenanny this weekend, the Brass Screw Confederacy, so when I saw this was available at the Great Library of teh Intarwebs, I thought it opportune to check it out and download it to my target-funded reader surveillance device.

It's uneven—what anthology isn't?—but when it's good, it's very good, and very good fun. I know almost nothing of these authors nor of the genre, so I'm going strictly by the stories in this book.

Some fortunate fu
Soumi
I was really excited to get my hands on a rich collection of stories from my favorite authors of my favorite time period of clockworks and automatons.
The Best of them were Steam Girl by Dylan Horrocks which a story of a odd girl and lone boy, and how they developed felling for each other when the girl told a story to the boy about Steam Girl, and her inventions and interplanetary adventures,

Holly Black's Everything Amiable and Obliging where a girl saves her cousin from falling in love with a a
Ramie
Sep 28, 2011 Ramie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I don't buy / read anthologies. Nothing against authors that take part in them. It's just that in the past, say, five years or so, I've purchased exactly one of them - I was so excited as there was an author or two I wanted to read it in it. By the end of it I'd felt I spent full price for on a book of abut 15 stories for about 3 short stories I REALLY liked and the rest I'd not care if I never read again.

Still when this popped up in Vine, well... Thing is I like Steampunk art and jewelry. I've
Michelle
Jan 31, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Brand new library book with the smell intact (don't judge!), the anthology was my first formal introduction with the steampunk genre. And while these stories sought to be different from the cliches of the genre (which I have yet to encounter due to my beginner level with it), I have learned some things about it.

My thoughts about the genre as presented by the anthology: what sets steampunk apart from science fiction or fantasy, magical realism or alternate historical fiction? I suppose steam punk
Mar 15, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
This is a really delightful collection of stories. Some of them were so-so, but several of them were really beautiful and left me with a lot to think about.

My hands-down favorites were Nowhere Fast, by Christopher Rowe and Steam Girl, by Dylan Horrocks. In Nowhere Fast, Rowe shows us a picture of a future in which we have learned our lesson about the dangers of using non-renewable resources and disregarding our effect on our planet. But was in the right lesson? And what lesson are the people of
Jency
Jan 18, 2012 Jency rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
This book has something for all steampunk fans. Some were more "steampunkish" than the others.
Cassandra Clare's Some fortunate future day was too short to like or understand the main character. 2 more pages describing what motivated Rose's actions would have done it more justice. Also when compared to the others, this one fell short. The Last Ride of the Glory Girls and The Ghost of Cwmlech Manor were good but predictable. Clockwork Fagin was the best of all and stayed true to the genre.

There w
Steampunk Reads : Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories 1 19 Feb 05, 2013 05:25AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Steampunk! 1 8 Sep 27, 2012 08:04AM
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • The Steampunk Bible
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Steampunk'd
  • Morlock Night
  • In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • All Men of Genius
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
  • The Alchemy of Stone
  • Like Clockwork
  • Steampunk: Poe
Kelly Link is an American author best known for her short stories, which span a wide variety of genres - most notably magic realism, fantasy and horror. She is a graduate of Columbia University.

Her stories have been collected in four books - Stranger Things Happen, Magic for Beginners, Pretty Monsters, and most recently, Get in Trouble.
She has won several awards for her short stories, including th
More about Kelly Link...

“She shone like a bright strange star shining in those empty lifeless halls, I write.” 1 likes
“Our eyes are always blind when they view the future.” 0 likes