Start by marking “Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up” as Want to Read:
Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up

Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Speaking Out features stories for and about LGBT and Q teens by fresh voices and noted authors in the field of young adult literature. These are inspiring stories of overcoming adversity (against intolerance and homophobia) and experiencing life after "coming out." Queer teens need tales of what might happen next in their lives, and editor Steve Berman showcases a diversit

Published September 20th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Speaking Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking Out

Luna by Julie Anne PetersI am J by Cris BeamAlmost Perfect by Brian KatcherParrotfish by Ellen WittlingerBeauty Queens by Libba Bray
Booklist for Trans Teens
32nd out of 124 books — 172 voters
Safe by C. KennedyBoy Meets Boy by David LevithanTurning 16 by Perie WolfordGeography Club by Brent HartingerThe Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd
LGBT Young Adult (YA) Literature
138th out of 197 books — 160 voters

More lists with this book...

Hilcia
This excellent collection of thirteen stories gathered and edited by Steve Berman for and about LGBT and Q young adults not only features stories that address the difficulties of coming out to friends and family, but most importantly Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up highlights experiences, changes and difficulties that affect and are experienced by young adults after that important step is taken.

The stories are as varied in style and content as are the writers themselves. L, G, B, T, and Q sto
Indie Reviews

Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up by editor Steve Berman is an excellent collection of thirteen short stories for and about LGBTQ teens and young adults. The anthology offers a diversity of life experiences and covers a spectrum of issues that LGBTQ youth face in living as out, from first crushes, falling in love and relationships, to forming supportive networks, standing up to homophobia and other discrimination, and planning for their future.

Read the complete review of Speaking Out: LGBTQ You
"The Trouble With Billy" by Jeffrey Ricker - 3 stars
"Only Lost Boys Are Found" by Steve Berman - 4 stars
"Waiting to Show Her" by
Rebecca
This was a wonderful collection of stories from a wide range of viewpoints and places in the GBLT spectrum. In collections, some stories are always better than others, and it's a pity that the first story in this didn't really grab my attention, and I almost didn't read the whole book because I was having trouble getting through it. However, once I did, I couldn't stop reading the rest of it. Lots of hard times for these characters, but lots of support as well, sometimes from unexpected places.
bjneary
Speaking Out. Valley Falls, NY: Bold Strokes Books, 2011. 978-1-60282-566-6. 276p. $13.95. Gr. 9-12.
A wonderful collection of short stories designed to captivate and urge LGBT kids to speak out and let their voices, stories, and thoughts be heard. The author of each story has an introduction detailing their life as a YA author and a personal story or anecdote.
Bob
Mar 21, 2012 Bob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lgbt, ya
I love short story collections and buy them often. This was was really good. I especially enjoyed The Trouble with Billy by Jeffrey Ricker where we discover a twist on bullies and Subtle Poison by Lucas J.W. Johnson where the fringe kids befriend Alex, trangender kid. All of them are fine stories about kids coming out in high school.
Zorayda
This is a very wondeful set of stories by LGBTQ youth speaking out about their coming out fears and experiences that are very heart-warming and lets youth everywhere know that it's ok, alot of people are going through this and it's going to be ok. Speaking out is the best thing LGBTQ youth can do.
Julia
“All Gender U” by Sandra McDonald is about Lin and the inclusive college she dreams of attending, since she was born a boy. “Only Lost Boys Are Found” by Steve Berman is about an unnamed second-person narrator rescuing/ locating Neil, the boy he likes, from a literal or is it figurative closet, with the help of Neil’s brother, a bully, and the narrator’s mean sister. “The Spark of Change” by Dia Pannes is about Miriam and her Dad, when she helps put out at a fire, at her teacher’s house, when he ...more
Saskateen Library
Saskateen Library marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Mada Joseph
Mada Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Brynn the Book Lover
Brynn the Book Lover marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kir
Kir marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Zed
Zed marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
hannah
hannah added it
Jun 05, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Keziah Wallis
Keziah Wallis marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Tetyana
Tetyana marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Tara Spears
Tara Spears marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Orion Zangara
Orion Zangara marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr
More about Steve Berman...
Vintage: A Ghost Story Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction Trysts: A Triskaidecollection of Queer and Weird Stories Wilde Stories 2011: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction