Start by marking “Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up” as Want to Read:
Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up

Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Speaking Out features stories for and about LGBT and Q teens by fresh voices and noted authors in the field of young adult literature. These are inspiring stories of overcoming adversity (against intolerance and homophobia) and experiencing life after "coming out." Queer teens need tales of what might happen next in their lives, and editor Steve Berman showcases a diversit

Published September 20th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Speaking Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking Out

Luna by Julie Anne PetersBeing Emily by Rachel GoldI am J by Cris BeamParrotfish by Ellen WittlingerBeautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills
Booklist for Trans Teens
35th out of 201 books — 279 voters
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzSafe by C. KennedyThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyBoy Meets Boy by David LevithanGeography Club by Brent Hartinger
LGBT Young Adult (YA) Literature
186th out of 261 books — 212 voters

More lists with this book...

This excellent collection of thirteen stories gathered and edited by Steve Berman for and about LGBT and Q young adults not only features stories that address the difficulties of coming out to friends and family, but most importantly Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up highlights experiences, changes and difficulties that affect and are experienced by young adults after that important step is taken.

The stories are as varied in style and content as are the writers themselves. L, G, B, T, and Q sto
Indie Reviews

Speaking Out: LGBTQ Youth Stand Up by editor Steve Berman is an excellent collection of thirteen short stories for and about LGBTQ teens and young adults. The anthology offers a diversity of life experiences and covers a spectrum of issues that LGBTQ youth face in living as out, from first crushes, falling in love and relationships, to forming supportive networks, standing up to homophobia and other discrimination, and planning for their future.

Read the complete review of Speaking Out: LGBTQ You
"The Spark of Change" by Dia Pannes - 5 stars
"The Trouble With Billy" by Jeffrey Ricker - 3 stars
"Only Lost Boys Are Found" by Steve Berman - 4 stars
"Waiting to Show Her" by
This was a wonderful collection of stories from a wide range of viewpoints and places in the GBLT spectrum. In collections, some stories are always better than others, and it's a pity that the first story in this didn't really grab my attention, and I almost didn't read the whole book because I was having trouble getting through it. However, once I did, I couldn't stop reading the rest of it. Lots of hard times for these characters, but lots of support as well, sometimes from unexpected places.
Speaking Out. Valley Falls, NY: Bold Strokes Books, 2011. 978-1-60282-566-6. 276p. $13.95. Gr. 9-12.
A wonderful collection of short stories designed to captivate and urge LGBT kids to speak out and let their voices, stories, and thoughts be heard. The author of each story has an introduction detailing their life as a YA author and a personal story or anecdote.
Mar 21, 2012 Bob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, lgbt
I love short story collections and buy them often. This was was really good. I especially enjoyed The Trouble with Billy by Jeffrey Ricker where we discover a twist on bullies and Subtle Poison by Lucas J.W. Johnson where the fringe kids befriend Alex, trangender kid. All of them are fine stories about kids coming out in high school.
This is a very wondeful set of stories by LGBTQ youth speaking out about their coming out fears and experiences that are very heart-warming and lets youth everywhere know that it's ok, alot of people are going through this and it's going to be ok. Speaking out is the best thing LGBTQ youth can do.
“All Gender U” by Sandra McDonald is about Lin and the inclusive college she dreams of attending, since she was born a boy. “Only Lost Boys Are Found” by Steve Berman is about an unnamed second-person narrator rescuing/ locating Neil, the boy he likes, from a literal or is it figurative closet, with the help of Neil’s brother, a bully, and the narrator’s mean sister. “The Spark of Change” by Dia Pannes is about Miriam and her Dad, when she helps put out at a fire, at her teacher’s house, when he ...more
Jason Beyer
Jason Beyer marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Chibixio marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Zee marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Claire Gamblin
Claire Gamblin marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Brianna Toddy
Brianna Toddy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Alex Beal
Alex Beal marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Naomi Esrig
Naomi Esrig marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Schultzsummer marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Danni marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Devon Anderson
Devon Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
William Sullivan
William Sullivan is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Kassim marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
etta marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Shekut marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
McKevin Kaboyo
McKevin Kaboyo marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Matty marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr
More about Steve Berman...