Start by marking “The Sandman Presents: The Furies” as Want to Read:
The Sandman Presents: The Furies

The Sandman Presents: The Furies (The Sandman Presents)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,956 ratings  ·  49 reviews
They stole her son, her life and her sanity. The should have left her with something to lose.

Since the death of her son, Daniel, half-human, half-fury Lyta Hall has wandered through a wasteland of meaningless sex and grief. But a strange coincidence throws her into the company of a travelling theatre troupe in Athens. Instead of revisiting her Greek heritage to help restor
Published November 30th 2002 by Vertigo (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandman Presents

Nikki
The Furies is another Sandman Presents comic. This one takes up the story of Hippolyta Hall, set sometime after the final volume of the series. In it, she is still an 'imago', a channel for the Furies, and she's drawn into the quarrels of ancient gods -- Greek gods, unsurprisingly enough. This time, a quarrel between Hermes and Chronos. The story ends with some resolution for Lyta, which is nice, and we also briefly see the new Dream King.

The art in this comic is quite pretty, but it kind of hit
Shel
I enjoyed getting to spend more time in the Sandman universe, and loved the story. However, I have to say I was put off by the artwork. Not that it wasn't gorgeously done - it was beautiful. But it was so different from Gaiman's original series that it didn't feel like Sandman. I had to keep reminding myself that this beautifully painted woman was supposed to be the same character as the more stylistically/cartoonishly drawn Lyta Hall that we originally met.
Paul
They stole her son, her life, and her sanity.
They should have left her with something to lose.

THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: THE FURIES
is a beautifully painted story by Mike Carey (writer) and John Bolton (artist) about a mother's loss and her ultimate redemption.
Years ago, Lyta Hall called upon the mythical Furies to exact revenge against the Lord of Dreams for the murder of her son. But when the three spirits of familial vengeance used the grieving mother for their own ends, Lyta fell into a dark worl
GoodReadsAccount
Decent, in the sense that following in Gaiman's graphic novel footsteps is better than nothing at all.

Almost immediately upon reading this, I thought to myself, "wow, this is like a cruddy God Save the Queen". Yeah. Turns out, same people, just five years earlier, when they were first learning to work together.

If you've got a massive hard-on for anything that has the Sandman name on it, this might be worth picking up. If you're not already a fan, I doubt this would have much appeal.
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I rated this novel worthy!

WARNING! UNHIDDEN SPOILERS! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This novel fascinated me because of the artwork, which looks like someone took models and posed them for each frame, then ran the resulting picture through a graphics
Steven
Beautifully painted graphic novel. Technically well crafted story but ultimately unsatisfying.
Victoria
Lush, beautiful, dangerous and grotesque, just like the Sandman series proper. I'm glad that Lyta's story got an ending, though I can't help thinking that Gaiman would have pulled off some of the pivotal bits at the climax with a little more dexterity. I guess that goes without saying, though - it's his sandbox.
Robb Bridson
It's hard to judge this one. The story is alright, not Carey's best work, but decent. I'm torn on the art. The characters and some objects are almost photographic, and the result is at times-- like in the Underworld-- amazingly grotesque and atmospheric. But at other times it's just the uncanny valley unleashed on our world and sometimes the characters are disjointed from the background. It's hard to say which effect is the stronger one.

Also, if you are the sort who is bothered by having things
Magila
4.5

There was something about this that I really enjoyed. The entire Sandman universe is just rife with energy, emotion, and detail. There is this sincerity and grittiness to it, and this was no different.

Sometimes the (I believe) computer rendered comics that are just super clean, glossy, almost squeaky, come off as banal and uninspiring. I found the art, pencil and ink in this to be this balanced imperfectness that looked and felt great.

As always, I would appreciate a little more creativity i
FabulousRaye
I don't think that Hermes would actually have a chicken-ass hairdo.
Luciana Darce
Ganhei esse livro de presente da Elise, uma querida leitora do Coruja, pelo natal do ano passado – e me segurei o quanto pude para deixá-lo para ler agora, dentro do Desafio Literário 2012. Afinal de contas, é Sandman e Gaiman e isso significa que toda a expectativa é merecida.

Ou melhor dizendo, não é Gaiman. A série Sandman Apresenta reúne arcos de histórias fechadas dentro do universo criado pelo mestre – com roteiros escritos também por outros tantos magos da fantasia.

As Fúrias retoma a histó
M
Mike Carey retreads Sandman ground with a return look at Lyta Hall in this compilation. Having been used by the Furies during her attempts to find her missing son Daniel, Lyta is still facing her depression. A chance encounter with a travelling theater troupe headed to Greece once again pulls the grieving mother into a confrontation with the mythical. Forced by Chronos to battle her own dark reflection, Lyta finds herself aided by Hermes in an attempt to prevent a power-shake in the Olympian pan ...more
Federiken Masters
Jan 30, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Autores+personajes
Interesante epílogo a la historia de Lyta Hall. La historia va leeeenta en varias partes pero sobre el final tiene un par de vueltas de tuerca interesantes, y la caracterización de la Lyta pos-depresión es muy humana y creíble. El modo de introducir dioses griegos también resulta muy natural y bien llevado, pero a los que no tenemos tanta mitología griega fresca por ahí se nos complica en algún que otro momento.
El dibujo (si se puede llamar así a esas fotos pintadas encima) es un tema a parte. L
Paul
They stole her son, her life, and her sanity.
They should have left her with something to lose.

THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: THE FURIES
Jaimie
Kelly O'Dowd
it wasn't bad.
but it didn't really excite me.

there were hints of other things that didn't come to fruition and I dont understand why they were mentioned in the first place.

Carey's Lucifer is a way better tale from the sandman universe.
Haniel Barbosa
Bom mas um pouco perdido. Há o clima que caracteriza Sandman, mas não se vai muito além disso. É uma pena como o antagonista apresentado é de certa forma desperdiçado, já que se mostra tanto potencial.
Sasha Boersma
The mixed-media art is really great. The story was hard to follow. I feel more attention was put into the studding art over how the art needs to support the narrative, which made it confusing to me.
Lisa
Really thoroughly enjoyed this book....and it kept me on edge wondering what was to come.....but then I thought the ending was sort of a let down.

Beth
Fantastic tale told backwards. Heartbroken Alex just lost her finance in a murder and moves to Scotland to work at school for troubled teens. Page turner.
Mel
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. Following on from the end of Sandman it deals not so much with the mythological events but one woman's struggle with loosing her son. Before too long the powers of Greek mythology do show up and start causing havoc but this is still very much a personal journey looking at the consequences that the bigger actions had on people. The mixture of mythology and real life is done really well. The hyper realistic art style really suits the nature of the comic, someti ...more
Dony Grayman
Historia unitaria de la subcolección Sandman presenta. Tomo publicado en la Colección Vertigo #251.
Delicious Strawberry
Having been a longtime fan of the Sandman universe, I was intrigued by this volume. If you've read the main Sandman series, you should remember Hippolyta (Lyta) Hall well. This volume deals with life after the Sandman series, as Lyta is now alone and dealing with the death of her son.

I really liked the art here, and though the storyline felt a bit disjointed to me (I rate this story 3.5/5 stars), I enjoyed it nonetheless, especially as Lyta becomes more and more Fury-like. If you are a fan of th
Belinda
Gorgeous art, excellent story.
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
An interesting epilogue for Hippolyta Hall, but I think I wanted more. I don't think her later reappearance in JSA made much use of this story except for the way she and Hector exited the series. And with continuity reboots being what they are, we probably won't see a Fury story that picks up these threads.
John Bolton's artwork here is unique and daring.
123Mark
Think you can be sneaky, huh? Not in this book. Sure there are some people who are slick, but those people obviously don't know the furies. The furies have blood for tears and snakes for hair. If there was a crime going unpunished, the furies would do the punishing. Even with the furies, society was still rotting. Good book though, good story. 5 stars.
Conor
The art was very realistic and I didn't like it at all most of the time. I didn't like the story much, or really anything about this.
Lobeck
The style of art was a little jarring, so I was surprised to find myself enjoying this book. The writing was decent and the story was woven together rather nicely. As with any Gaiman-imitation story, though, it was shallow by comparison. They really ought to leave Gaiman's stories to him to develop.
Ula
The Furies is a short story continuing after the end of the Sandman books (a spin-off of the Kindly Ones) involving Lyta Hall and the Furies. The art is both creepy and interesting and while the writing is not as good as a Gaiman story, it is a delightful addition to my graphic novel collection.
Katherine
Sandman spinoff, tying up a loose end from the series (Hippolyta Hall). Really delicate artwork and solid writing, with all the mythological and classical references one could hope for. The story feels a bit rushed in places, but I thought the ending was pretty solid.
  • Thessaly: Witch for Hire
  • The Sandman Companion
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • The Sandman Papers: An Exploration of the Sandman Mythology
  • The Sandman: The Dream Hunters
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

The Sandman Presents (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hellblazer: Marquee Moon
  • Thessaly: Witch for Hire
  • The Dreaming: The Goldie Factor
  • The Thessaliad
  • The Little Endless Storybook
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man