Start by marking “Journal of a Schoolyard Bully: Notes on Noogies, Wet Willies, and Wedgies” as Want to Read:
Journal of a Schoolyard Bully: Notes on Noogies, Wet Willies, and Wedgies

Journal of a Schoolyard Bully: Notes on Noogies, Wet Willies, and Wedgies

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  47 reviews
In the tradition of the mega successful DIARY OF A WIMPY KIDand DORK DIARIES comesNiko Taylor, a school bully who must keep a journal to right all the wrongs he has done, but Niko, being a habitual trouble-maker, has other ideas.

Niko Kaylor, the terror of his middle school, doles out wedgies and collects money he doesn’t need.When he is forced to begin keeping a journal of
Published September 13th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Journal of a Schoolyard Bully, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journal of a Schoolyard Bully

Angelc
I'm pretty sure I'm not the target audience for this book, so that might be part of why I didn't enjoy it so much. I just wasn't able to get past the message that celebrating bullies sends to kids.

There's an author's note at the beginning that detailed how the reader was supposed to be laughing at the bully not with him, but I'm not sure that came across in the story. Especially since it never really seemed like Niko got his just deserts in the end. The author's note seemed to be tacked on at th
Heidi
I was selected to receive this book through Goodreads First Reads Program. Both my 10-year-old daughter and I read the book.

Journal of a Schoolyard Bully: Notes on Noogies, Wet Willies, and Wedgies is a book similar in style to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Dork Diaries. It features cartoons alongside text to tell the story of Niko Kaylor, the school bully. Niko has been asked to keep a journal by his therapist.

This book does have several amusing moments. I did find myself chuckling out loud a
Agnes Mack
I received Journal of a Schoolyard Bully by Farley Katz through the Goodreads Firstreads program. The font was fun and the illustrations were well done. Unfortunately that's pretty much the extent of the positive things I have to say about this book. I'd really like to know what the author was thinking when he wrote this. Mr. Katz, who is the youngest staff cartooner for The New Yorker, clearly has talent but this book is certainly not evidence of it.

I will say that it seems to be a pretty a
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
This is a Reading Good Books review.

Niko is a damn smart bully. Yeah, there is a tone of surprise in that statement. I never thought bullies can be smart. I was one of the “nerds” so I was definitely bullied (by girls, which was much worse if you ask me). But that was a long time ago; I’ve forgotten about them and have moved on to better things in life. Ha-ha!

But really, Niko really is smart. Using big words, referencing Charles Darwin, knowing how to pronounce “rendezvous”… I am impressed. An
Tim
Niko Kayler assumes an Alfred E. Newman disguise as this self-proclaimed überbully postures through the dimensions of a very serious subject. Current media publishes alarming information about the happenings and issues surrounding bullying in schools, cyberspace, and elsewhere. Farley Katz’s Mad Magazine treatment intends to entertain while enlightening his audience with global examples of bullying through the unlikely protagonist of Niko.

Through his comic-book satire, Katz attempts to trace bul
Tammi
The subtitle to this book is “notes on noogies, wet willies, and wedgies.” This book tells the story of Niko Kayler. He is a bully in his school. He likes being a bully. One day he gets into trouble and has a meeting with vice principle Jones, his mom and his psychiatrist. His vice principle informed him at that meeting that if he got into trouble one more time that he would be expelled from Checkers Nixon Memorial. This causes Niko to evaluate his bullying and at the advice of his therapist, he ...more
Mary (BookHounds)
Farley Katz has written and illustrated a wonderful book about bullying from the bully's point of view. This one should provoke a lot of discussions for children, their parents and teachers. I didn't know that you could actually feel sorry for a bully, but Niko Kaylor with all his bravado and intelligence is actually a confused and angry boy. Niko is forced to write a journal by his mother, his therapist and the school. He illustrates it with all the hatred and anger he can muster and writes wha ...more
Kelsey
I found this while sorting my room out, it happened to be in the wadrobe. It was sent for review and I must of lost it in the midst of all the stuff I have. I went into reading this thinking it was going to be like Diary Of A Wimpy Kid. Which I loved (well the film) It tells the tale of a boy called Niko who happens to love bullying people. He bullies people that much that he has to have some counselling. I found this book to be rather boring and not funny at all. There was no moral to the story ...more
Llewellyn
I received an advance readers' edition of this book for free through GoodReads First Reads.

Each page of this book has a picture and about one paragraph of text, so it's a very fast read. The book is cute, funny, and entertaining. But I was hoping for a bit more.

In the "Dear Reviewer" page at the very beginning, the author says we should "laugh at the expense of the bully," but I never really found myself laughing at him. The funny parts of the book weren't exactly at his expense in my opinion.
Beth
I did not find this book the least bit funny. I kept hoping it would have some sort of message, but it didn't. What a sad book...I would hate for some impressionable child to get his or her hands on this how-to manual for all things bully. It is also for older children, not the fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Bailey Meeker
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway.

I'm sure I'm not the target audience for this book. I found it pretty funny sometimes and the illustrations were clever. Niko's bullying techniques are hyperbolic. He builds machines to help him bully and creates elaborate plots to escape the consequences of his actions. If I had to guess, I'd say that middle schoolers won't love the book. Bullied kids will be upset that Niko never recognizes the error of his ways. Kids who bully (these two grou
Harel Lawrence
I read the preview of the book and it is interesting the author chose the bully point of view instead of being a victim. It almost seems like a cartoon simular to the diary of a wimpy kid.
Jan
Rcvd this book as a win from Goodreads. Thank you. Will be perfect for my grand daughter who just enjoyed seeing the movie Diary of a Wimpy kid. Easy to read, lots of cartoons. This is a child's Bully Log, of why he is a bully, what he has done, and in the end, what is done to the bullier. Niko finds out, not so nice to be on the other end of the receiving. Unfortunately, at the end, he does not repent...and I can only suppose, there will be a sequel or Diary II of "What it Really means to be a ...more
Erin
I graciously received this book through a giveaway on first reads.

I have never read the diary of a wimpy kid books, so I can't compare it to those. However this book did have a lot of nice graphics to go along with the text. The text was at times hard to read because it was in a child type handwriting.

This book was mainly about how a bully loves to bully. He is not remorseful and in fact proud of what he does. He gets a taste of his own medicine and still wants to be a bully. I'm not sure this
Kaitlin
For more reviews check out Books to the Sky.

I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

This book was interesting. Some of Niko's ideas and bullying were a little far fetched. But I will admit I did chuckle quite a few times while reading this.

Niko is an insecure kid who hides that by being a bully to all the other kids and even some adults.

This book is a very quick read since it contains quite a few illustrations, which were very well done.

I think kids and adults of any age would enjoy this
Books to the Sky
Check out more reviews at Books to the Sky.

(We received this book from Goodreads First Reads.)

I think kids and adults of any age would enjoy th
Julie
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. The book was okay. It is about a bully who gets into trouble for his actions and has to find ways to continue bullying without getting into trouble. I believe it is supposed to be comical. I am not certain what the target audience would be. It is not appropriate for young kids, but I don't think it would keep adolescents interested. The best that I can say is that it was an okay book and that it could surprise me and become a huge hit in the middle ...more
Debbie
Free giveaway from Goodreads. My 9 year-old offered to read and review as she is a huge fan of the "Wimpy" series and ths seemed so similar. As she finally finished the book a month aftr beginning (and reading several between), she said she hoped it wasn't a series. There was humor in parts as she did quote to me and laugh aloud in parts, but overall her expectations were not met. The story did not hold her attention nor did it inspire her to gulp it down in one setting as many stories do. If it ...more
Elissa
First Reads winner - thanks!!

Just finished and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I thought the idea was clever, but the story itself fell flat. It was too random for my taste. There was not a clear story to follow - just some disjointed ramblings by the main character.

I also found the text hard to read (I have an advance reader's copy). I like the diary/journal format and handwriting fonts, but font was difficult to read in this size. Although, in the finished copy this may not be as muc
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

This was my first "Diaries" read and I did not know what to expect. I thought it was quite funny and a little cute. I found myself laughing and smiling quite a bit.
I did like and enjoy this book and had a hard time putting it down.
I am looking forward to reading the other "Diary" books.

Thank you for the opportunity to win this book otherwise I may never have had the pleasure of reading it.
Jeannette
I liked this Young Adult book - with its fun kid illustrations and font - and point of view of the "bully" and his trials and tribulations. I especially liked his journal entries about his sessions with his psychologist (hysterical) yet they eventually had an effect on his behavior. I also liked the condemnation of "cyberbullying" as "cheap and dirty". This is a fun, quick read for kids and adults alike.
Linda
This was a first reads give away that I won. This is the journal a junior high bully is forced to keep for his therapy. I think any kid who bullies or gets bullied should read it as it was well done. I don't think I found it as funny as a kid might. I do think it will appeal to kids as the book looks like a handwritten journal and also contains pictures throughout.
Lisa
I won this from First-Reads. My 11 year old liked it. He thought it would be more realistic, but to him it read more like a cartoon tv show. He was disappointed that the bully never got into serious trouble or became nicer at the end. Parts of the book were funny but he much prefers the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.
Michael
This is what happens when you ask a cartoonist to write a kids' book. Great concept, but it loses any direction when it tries to stretch past ten pages. So start reading it, and when it gets pointless move on to something else. Where are all the good editors these days? With some sense of plot, this could be a great book.
Colby Sharp
I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it. I thought that some of the images would be very inappropriate for the age of student that is likely to pick up this book. The book tries to tell a story from the bullies point of view, but I think he missed a bit.
Vanessa
so when i entered to win this book i though it would be something ggreat for my son and i to read , but my daughter ended upwith it .... she thought it was such a great book the convinced my neice to give it a shot and again they wanted more ....
Rachael
Fun book with lots of illustrations! This takes the silly perspective of the school bully and is a humorous take on schools and students. I liked that a kid could read this, but an adult can also enjoy it. I won this copy through goodreads giveaways.
Amanda
I recieved this book free from GoodReads First Reads. I liked this book, it had a lot of funny moments. But because of the extent of the bullying in schools in recent years...months, it's a hard book for me to want to push my niece and nephews to read.
Jerri Giammarino
I just wanted to let you know that my 11 year old Grand Son read the book. He really loved it an finished it in one day. He thought that it was very funny. This is a great book for kids and I am looking forward to reading it as well. Thanks again.
Cynthia
My younger brother absolutely loved this and so did I. It is funny, energetic and ironic. After winning this, I sat down and took chunks of laughter with me to the grave. It is lovable and the character really grows on you. Thank you goodreads!
  • Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles
  • Paloma: A Laurent & Dove Mystery
  • The Loser List
  • School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)
  • The Grand Plan to Fix Everything
  • Revenge of the Horned Bunnies (Dragonbreath, #6)
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • Love.com
  • Echo Island
  • Gossip from the Girls' Room (Blogtastic!, #1)
  • The Wild Book
  • Planet Tad
  • Mallory On The Move (Mallory McDonald, #1)
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • Sara's Gift: Comes the Crow
  • My Life as a Book
  • It's the First Day of School...Forever!
At 26, Farley Katz is the youngest staff cartoonist for The New Yorker, where he's published over fifty cartoons. Last year he wrote and edited the New Yorker's comedy blog, The Cartoon Lounge. He's written jokes and drawn cartoons for Mad Magazine, Saturday Night Live, and The Harvard Lampoon, where he was an editor in college.

After graduating, he moved to Los Angeles where he developed a comedy
More about Farley Katz...
Journal of a Schoolyard Bully: Cyberbully The Married Kama Sutra: The World's Least Erotic Sex Manual