Start by marking “The Nikopol Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Nikopol Trilogy

The Nikopol Trilogy (Nikopol #1-3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  901 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In 1993, a military court sentenced Alcide Nikopol to thirty years of suspended animation. In 2023, Nikopol is awakened, his body possessed by the Egyptian god Horus, on the run from his fellow gods. So begins the brilliant Nikopol Trilogy, the basis for Inki Bilal's film "Immortal," in which a political dissident deals with a government gone mad, a son he never knew who c ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Humanoids - Rebellion (first published September 23rd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Nikopol Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nikopol Trilogy

Keely
There's something so indulgent about French stories, which is at the same time their strength and their downfall. They lilt along, laughing and provoking, never shying away, but there is also a lack of self-editing there that tends to leave them a bit silly and unfocused.

Sometimes, I think it's a problem of translation, and this translation is so unusually literal from the French, as if it were meant for primary English readers who understand the French language and culture, but who are unable t
Ubiqua
Fumettista francese pubblicato tra gli altri dal «Métal Hurlant» fondato da Moebius, Enki Bilal disegna le sue storie fantascientifiche dagli anni ’70 ad oggi. La Trilogia di Nikopol contiene tre storie, collegate tra loro, create tra il 1980 e il 1992.

La prima è La fiera degli immortali, capolavoro ambientato in una Parigi futuribile governata dal dittatore Gianferdidando Cavolobianco, fascista e folle, ricalcato sulla figura e sull’effigie di Mussolini. Sospesa nel vuoto sopra la città, una p
Belarius
Jan 29, 2008 Belarius rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Critics of Graphic Literature
Surreal, gritty, and supremely strange, the Nikopol Trilogy is a loose three-part epic spanning 12 years of author Enki Bilal's career. Nikopol helped to make Bilal a household name in Europe, where the trilogy's oblique storytelling and signature artistic style both work against a reader's expectations.

The three volumes of the trilogy differ from one another markedly, both in their writing and as Bilal's style evolved. Rather than thinking the stories as mere sequels, each additional chapter su
T4ncr3d1
Indiscutibile capolavoro. Sublime. Potrei parlarne fino a domani mattina. C'è dentro di tutto: l'ossessione del potere, lo smascheramento del divino, i tratti più grotteschi della satira e della parodia, la visione di un futuro decadente, la parodia dei fascismi (a cominciare da quello mussoliniano, vera fonte d'ispirazione per Bilal), e omaggi fantascientifici a quintali.
Splendide le illustrazioni, splendido il taglio quasi cinematografico dato all'opera, sceneggiatura originalissima, dialoghi
Radu
I did not finish the third book, it got annoying, preachy and self important around the events in the previous books, while the art got darker, but not better.

I was expecting more god to human interaction and less manipulation, or at least some true gods involved, not some arrogant immortals not making use of their fabulous powers.

This is what bothered me the most about this book, why do the gods act as they do? Why don't they take the fuel they need in the beginning since they are almighty an
Michael
It's dark, it's strong, and it may keep you up longer than coffee, because it's also very, very squalid -- so if you don't like that type of atmospheres, do not read this book.

Still, it's good. What I like most, is probably:
- The dark but beautiful artwork, especially in the second and third stories;
- The historical irony (at the beginning, a character thrown into a fascist futuristic version of his city remembers he learned something about Mussolini in school but doesn't remember what it was -
Antonella
I loved this when I first read it as it was published in installments in an Italian comic magazine. I still loved it now that I reread the original French edition. It's just a perfect blend: the story, the world-building, the art, the humour.
Eric Novello
Em seu roteiro, às vezes mais estruturado e coeso, às vezes vago e indefinido, mas sempre interessante. Em seus traços e cores, belíssimo. Além disso, traz os deuses egípcios com as bundinhas mais saradas que você já viu.
Pieter-Jan Beyul
A fascinating alternate 21st century future which is sometimes dizzying in all its subtextual contents.
The impossibility of connection (and the desire to forget any previous attempt), the divine as seemingly clumsy and illegible as any other force of nature, the comical hurbis inherent to politics and the brittle individual pursuits for meaning to get one to the final exhaustion of our mortal coil.
The background of Bilal's trilogy had a strong pull on me. The whimsical nature of (human) realit
Thom Foolery
Interesting and stylized art, reminiscent of some of the stuff I saw in Heavy Metal growing up, in the service of a surreal and less-than-comprehensible narrative about political and social revolutions, fathers and sons, alien ancient Egyptian space gods, and a hot blue-haired woman who cries indigo tears. It was originally written in French, he notes, by way of explanation. (And, alas, the film version of the story, Immortal , really didn't help me making sense of things. Like the man said, ...more
Adilson
Com uma complicada narrativa em quadrinhos que mistura ficção distópica, beirando ao new weird, Enki Bilal confere um realismo impressionante ao mundo que propõe, impresso nos pequenos detalhes dos ambientes que desenha magistralmente. O texto também auxilia com criação de novas palavras e termos que descrevem tecnologias, espécies e elementos desse universo único. Nesse cenário, a política que permeia uma moribunda Terra futura e, particularmente, os diferentes centros fragmentados de poder fas ...more
Tita
Apa yang akan kita temukan ketika terbangun dari 'tidur' dalam keadaan beku selama 20 tahun? Bagaimanakah rupa dunia? Makhluk apa sajakah yg mendiami bumi dan kekuasaan seperti apa yang berlangsung?
Alcide Nikopol mengalami semua itu ketika terbangun di th 2023, di tengah kekacauan pemerintahan dunia. Ia terlibat dengan salah satu dewa Mesir yang sengaja merasuki tubuhnya. Kejutan bagi Nikopol datang dari satu saat ke saat berikutnya, dalam perjuangannya untuk bertahan hidup di masa yang sama sek
Psychophant
Twenty years after I read small parts of Bilal's great work, I finally managed to read it fully. It is a complex and ambitious work, imperfect, but so ambitious that it still fails grandly.

From the parts I read (The Woman Trap), I was left with a certain fascination with blue hair that still persists, long before I read manga.

Drawing is idiosyncratic and detailed, fitting the troubled and tangled plots and sites. A deep layered story, with several repeating messages appearing time and time again
Przemek Skoczyński
Postacie jednowymiarowe i płytkie jak kałuża, historia też w sumie dosyć banalna. Świetnie narysowane, nic więcej.
Manasvi mudgal
Though the art was interesting, the story didn't seem to be going anywhere and lacked depth.
Chris Martin
Love the story, love the pictures! One of the great classic in adult comics
Jonah
Comments: Bilal is one of my favourite comic artists - some of his panels reach the sublime. The stories have been criticized as being weak or lacking in complexity, but the same might be said about other greats, such as Philip K. Dick. I think the concepts are great, and not clarifying all the details lends the work some of it's mysterious charm. Again, like PKD's work, read this and see how many things have been lifted for TV shows or movies you know. I'd give it 5 stars for the art alone.
Giulia Gubellini
Io l'ho trovato fantastico, nel disegno, nei colori, nella storia. C'è tutto: azione, violenza, ironia, romance, divinità egizie che giocano a Monopoli, gatti telepatici a strisce verdi, donne bellissime dai capelli blu, e molto più di un pizzico di follia e allucinazione.
La recensione su: http://wp.me/p2wrGs-EE
Ryan McArthur
My rating is somewhat coloured by seeing the movie first. It was in French, with some very important parts in (untranslated) ancient Egyptian.
The comic isn't much better, a bit confusing and weird, but you get that with French comics...
Keith
I've really like everything I've read by Enki Bilal. I think my favorite books of his I've read are the ones with Pierre Christin but this and "The Beast Trilogy" that he did by himself have more interesting art.
J.
The art is gorgeous in its dilapidation. The story is bizarre and yet touching in so many ways. HIGHLY recommended (if you can find a copy for under $100).
i never really understand what's going on in any of enki bilal's books but i still find them entertaining and the pictures are really pretty!
bartofnoise
Surrealistic, lucid, druggy, utopian - and yes, the story could be even better but I simply love Enki Bilal's artwork, so I am giving him five.
Justus
Completely nuts and makes no sense whatsoever. Luscious art and an utterly surreal plot line. Good stuff. Make that, GREAT stuff.
Ανώνυμος Άγνωστος
Such an artistic graphic novel. It is so strange that Bilal is not as famous as he should be. Also his works are so hard to find...
Xdyj
The art is good & the world-building is interesting. Maybe I'd enjoy it more if I know more about the French cultural background.
Brian
pretty sure I read this before and skimmed it. Was into it more this time but wasn't overly impressed
Remy
Un chef d'oeuvre de la BD. A lire, relire et relire encore. Je ne me lasse pas de cet univers cree par Bilal.
Shawn
Assistant Editor on this one as well. Retyping all those newsclippings into English was a bitch!
Dave
Enki Bilal's art is great.
The story is very French, disconnected, weird, and gorgeous.
  • The Incal
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)
  • The Black Order Brigade
  • Corto Maltese en Sibérie (Corto Maltese #7)
  • Les murailles de Samaris (Les Cités obscures, #1)
  • Idées noires : L'intégrale
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (2nd ed.)
  • The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8
  • Kill Your Boyfriend
  • It Was the War of the Trenches

Nikopol (3 books)
  • La foire aux immortels (Nikopol, #1)
  • The Woman Trap (Nikopol, #2)
  • Froid Équateur (Nikopol, #3)
La foire aux immortels (Nikopol, #1) The Dormant Beast (Le Sommeil du monstre, #1) 32 Décembre (Le Sommeil du monstre, #2) The Hunting Party Rendez-vous à Paris (Le Sommeil du monstre, #3)