Start by marking “The Nikopol Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Nikopol Trilogy

The Nikopol Trilogy (Nikopol #1-3)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,255 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
In 1993, a military court sentenced Alcide Nikopol to thirty years of suspended animation. In 2023, Nikopol is awakened, his body possessed by the Egyptian god Horus, on the run from his fellow gods. So begins the brilliant Nikopol Trilogy, the basis for Inki Bilal's film "Immortal," in which a political dissident deals with a government gone mad, a son he never knew who c ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Humanoids - Rebellion (first published September 23rd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Nikopol Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nikopol Trilogy

J.G. Keely
There's something so indulgent about French stories, which is at the same time their strength and their downfall. They lilt along, laughing and provoking, never shying away, but there is also a lack of self-editing there that tends to leave them a bit silly and unfocused.

Sometimes, I think it's a problem of translation, and this translation is so unusually literal from the French, as if it were meant for primary English readers who understand the French language and culture, but who are unable t
Sara Mazzoni
Feb 19, 2015 Sara Mazzoni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fumettista francese pubblicato tra gli altri dal «Métal Hurlant» fondato da Moebius, Enki Bilal disegna le sue storie fantascientifiche dagli anni ’70 ad oggi. La Trilogia di Nikopol contiene tre storie, collegate tra loro, create tra il 1980 e il 1992.

La prima è La fiera degli immortali, capolavoro ambientato in una Parigi futuribile governata dal dittatore Gianferdidando Cavolobianco, fascista e folle, ricalcato sulla figura e sull’effigie di Mussolini. Sospesa nel vuoto sopra la città, una p
Orbi Alter
Mar 11, 2017 Orbi Alter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strip
Premisa price je zabavna, egipatski bogovi su divni i u simpaticnom kontekstu, razlaze se distopijska buducnost pa je malo i jeziva ali vec u drugom nastavku se sve ubrzava i dosta je kaoticno?
Crtez i tus su dosta genericki, ali svejedno ostavljaju solidan dojam tmurne post nuklearne apokalipse...
Florin Pitea
Interesting in some ways, disturbing in others. Unfortunately, one of its central themes is more relevant now than back when the trilogy was published.
Belarius
Jan 27, 2008 Belarius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Critics of Graphic Literature
Surreal, gritty, and supremely strange, the Nikopol Trilogy is a loose three-part epic spanning 12 years of author Enki Bilal's career. Nikopol helped to make Bilal a household name in Europe, where the trilogy's oblique storytelling and signature artistic style both work against a reader's expectations.

The three volumes of the trilogy differ from one another markedly, both in their writing and as Bilal's style evolved. Rather than thinking the stories as mere sequels, each additional chapter su
T4ncr3d1
Dec 12, 2014 T4ncr3d1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Indiscutibile capolavoro. Sublime. Potrei parlarne fino a domani mattina. C'è dentro di tutto: l'ossessione del potere, lo smascheramento del divino, i tratti più grotteschi della satira e della parodia, la visione di un futuro decadente, la parodia dei fascismi (a cominciare da quello mussoliniano, vera fonte d'ispirazione per Bilal), e omaggi fantascientifici a quintali.
Splendide le illustrazioni, splendido il taglio quasi cinematografico dato all'opera, sceneggiatura originalissima, dialoghi
Radu
May 18, 2013 Radu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicbooks
I did not finish the third book, it got annoying, preachy and self important around the events in the previous books, while the art got darker, but not better.

I was expecting more god to human interaction and less manipulation, or at least some true gods involved, not some arrogant immortals not making use of their fabulous powers.

This is what bothered me the most about this book, why do the gods act as they do? Why don't they take the fuel they need in the beginning since they are almighty an
Michael
May 04, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's dark, it's strong, and it may keep you up longer than coffee, because it's also very, very squalid -- so if you don't like that type of atmospheres, do not read this book.

Still, it's good. What I like most, is probably:
- The dark but beautiful artwork, especially in the second and third stories;
- The historical irony (at the beginning, a character thrown into a fascist futuristic version of his city remembers he learned something about Mussolini in school but doesn't remember what it was -
Leandro Luigi
Nov 05, 2016 Leandro Luigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A duas primeiras partes da trilogia Nikopol foram lidas por mim em 1986/87, mas só consegui ler a terceira parte nesse volume reunindo os três álbuns em 2003. Foi o meu primeiro contato com o trabalho de Enki Bilal. Acabei virando fã das obras dele.

É um belíssimo épico de ficção científica! Um dos quadrihos que mais curti até hoje!
Eric Novello
Nov 26, 2014 Eric Novello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-leituras
Em seu roteiro, às vezes mais estruturado e coeso, às vezes vago e indefinido, mas sempre interessante. Em seus traços e cores, belíssimo. Além disso, traz os deuses egípcios com as bundinhas mais saradas que você já viu.
Antonella
May 02, 2014 Antonella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this when I first read it as it was published in installments in an Italian comic magazine. I still loved it now that I reread the original French edition. It's just a perfect blend: the story, the world-building, the art, the humour.
Dragan Nanic
Dec 18, 2016 Dragan Nanic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Vašar besmrtnika je fenomenalan!!! Remek delo!
Sjajna papazjanija egipatske mitologije, anti-utopijske budućnosti, hibernacije, političkih intriga i jedne izmišljene igre (šahoboks). Jedinstven likovni izraz i nezaboravni likovi, prepuno detalja koji upotpunjuju užitak, sa neočekivanom dozom humora.
Žena-klopka i Hladni Ekvador se odlikuju (tad već) prepoznatljivim Bilalovim stilom - meandiranjem bez konkretnog ušća, neverovatnim spojevima običnog i nadnaravnog koji čitaoca ostavljaju bez daha i
Josh
An interesting, rather bleak look at the human future from the peak of the cold war, and the immediate aftermath in the last chapter. Nuclear wars, a breakdown of Western states into fascist city-states ruled by dictators, and the steady expansion of Communism are all assumed. It's a world of the desperately poor, the oppressed elite, the cruel despot, the amoral gods, and the annoyingly whiny anti-hero; it's hard to root for anyone in the first chapter, though the second and third bring a few m ...more
Alexander Lisovsky
Начало марта 2023 года. Постапокалиптический Париж давным-давно находится во власти неофашистов с причудливо раскрашенными физиономиями, а в воздухе над городом вдруг повисла гигантская летающая пирамида с почти полным комплектом древнееегипетских богов. В то же время на землю падает старый спутник с доисторическим космонавтом на борту, на помощь ему приходит Хорус, бог-отступник из пирамиды, а протоколирует события депрессивная журналистка с ослепительно белой кожей и лазурно-синими волосами.

Д
Pieter-Jan Beyul
A fascinating alternate 21st century future which is sometimes dizzying in all its subtextual contents.
The impossibility of connection (and the desire to forget any previous attempt), the divine as seemingly clumsy and illegible as any other force of nature, the comical hurbis inherent to politics and the brittle individual pursuits for meaning to get one to the final exhaustion of our mortal coil.
The background of Bilal's trilogy had a strong pull on me. The whimsical nature of (human) realit
Tita
Jul 26, 2007 Tita rated it liked it
Apa yang akan kita temukan ketika terbangun dari 'tidur' dalam keadaan beku selama 20 tahun? Bagaimanakah rupa dunia? Makhluk apa sajakah yg mendiami bumi dan kekuasaan seperti apa yang berlangsung?
Alcide Nikopol mengalami semua itu ketika terbangun di th 2023, di tengah kekacauan pemerintahan dunia. Ia terlibat dengan salah satu dewa Mesir yang sengaja merasuki tubuhnya. Kejutan bagi Nikopol datang dari satu saat ke saat berikutnya, dalam perjuangannya untuk bertahan hidup di masa yang sama sek
Adilson
Nov 04, 2013 Adilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Com uma complicada narrativa em quadrinhos que mistura ficção distópica, beirando ao new weird, Enki Bilal confere um realismo impressionante ao mundo que propõe, impresso nos pequenos detalhes dos ambientes que desenha magistralmente. O texto também auxilia com criação de novas palavras e termos que descrevem tecnologias, espécies e elementos desse universo único. Nesse cenário, a política que permeia uma moribunda Terra futura e, particularmente, os diferentes centros fragmentados de poder fas ...more
Naoise
Dec 12, 2016 Naoise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
Seems to be a classic of sci-fi graphic novels. Written/drawn in the 1980s, it depicts a dystopian 2020s, very much in the line of similar sci-fi graphic novels by Jodorowsky, Moebius or Juan Gimenez, Bilal's art and story telling is superb and creative.

The three books revolve around the same characters, Nikopol and Horus, but use totally different story telling techniques and plot lines. Nevertheless they are all charged with political, religious and sociological significance. Art is simply am
Jason
Interesting and stylized art, reminiscent of some of the stuff I saw in Heavy Metal growing up, in the service of a surreal and less-than-comprehensible narrative about political and social revolutions, fathers and sons, alien ancient Egyptian space gods, and a hot blue-haired woman who cries indigo tears. It was originally written in French, he notes, by way of explanation. (And, alas, the film version of the story, Immortal , really didn't help me making sense of things. Like the man said, ...more
Psychophant
Twenty years after I read small parts of Bilal's great work, I finally managed to read it fully. It is a complex and ambitious work, imperfect, but so ambitious that it still fails grandly.

From the parts I read (The Woman Trap), I was left with a certain fascination with blue hair that still persists, long before I read manga.

Drawing is idiosyncratic and detailed, fitting the troubled and tangled plots and sites. A deep layered story, with several repeating messages appearing time and time again
Jonah
Sep 02, 2008 Jonah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comments: Bilal is one of my favourite comic artists - some of his panels reach the sublime. The stories have been criticized as being weak or lacking in complexity, but the same might be said about other greats, such as Philip K. Dick. I think the concepts are great, and not clarifying all the details lends the work some of it's mysterious charm. Again, like PKD's work, read this and see how many things have been lifted for TV shows or movies you know. I'd give it 5 stars for the art alone.
George Harris
May 31, 2015 George Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of three graphic novels that are amazing. The art is stupendous, very evocative with vibrant color. Set later in the twenty-first century in a somewhat dystopic fascist Paris and elsewhere in Europe and Africa, rather surreal in plot. Psychic cats, Egyptian gods and sentient animals. Mesmerizing.
Amy
Feb 10, 2016 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books, sci-fi
The art is amazing, very similar to some 2000ad art. I think it's because of the art this book has such a high rating, because the story is a bit meh. There's no real over arching plot, outside of one gods refusal to pay nice with others. But the little "mini" plots of each section are entertaining enough I never felt bored.
Giulia Gubellini
Dec 29, 2013 Giulia Gubellini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Io l'ho trovato fantastico, nel disegno, nei colori, nella storia. C'è tutto: azione, violenza, ironia, romance, divinità egizie che giocano a Monopoli, gatti telepatici a strisce verdi, donne bellissime dai capelli blu, e molto più di un pizzico di follia e allucinazione.
La recensione su: http://wp.me/p2wrGs-EE
Ryan McArthur
My rating is somewhat coloured by seeing the movie first. It was in French, with some very important parts in (untranslated) ancient Egyptian.
The comic isn't much better, a bit confusing and weird, but you get that with French comics...
Leif
Mar 31, 2016 Leif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merciless, inhuman, grotesque and inventive... now this is a ravishing canvas of sights and sounds--more syncopated than tightly cinched, loosely unravelling here and spilling with Egyptian gods and fallen spacemen there, madness here, madness there.

Do yourself a favour: let this one in.
Rod Brown
Sep 05, 2016 Rod Brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every so often I read a European science fantasy graphic novel to remind myself that I should never read European science fantasy graphic novels. Does anyone actually read this garbage for anything other than the naked women?
Keith
Dec 23, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I've really like everything I've read by Enki Bilal. I think my favorite books of his I've read are the ones with Pierre Christin but this and "The Beast Trilogy" that he did by himself have more interesting art.
Megan
Dec 21, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unusual graphic novel. I liked it because of that but I'm not sure about anything else. Cool concepts and the world Enki Bilal built was fun to read (even though it was grotesque). Now I want to go and read Baudelaire.
Manasvi mudgal
Though the art was interesting, the story didn't seem to be going anywhere and lacked depth.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Typo in the title 5 146 Apr 07, 2016 10:21AM
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)
  • The Incal
  • The Black Order Brigade
  • Fever in Urbicand (Cities of the Fantastic, #2)
  • Idées noires : L'intégrale
  • Betelgeuse: L'intégrale (Bételgeuse #1-5)
  • Corto Maltese en Sibérie (Corto Maltese #7)
  • Domu: A Child's Dream
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)

Nikopol (3 books)
  • La foire aux immortels (Nikopol #1)
  • The Woman Trap (Nikopol #2)
  • Froid Équateur (Nikopol #3)