Start by marking “Z Goes Home” as Want to Read:
Z Goes Home

Z Goes Home

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This glorious new picture book is by the author of Milo's Hat Trick (a Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2001). This alphabet story follows the letter Z as he returns home from work, passing characters which suggest a familiar shape. Full color.
Published 2003 by Hyperion Books For Children (first published January 1st 2001)

Cindi
"Z Goes Home" is a fun alphabet book full of hilarious illustrations that tells a story of one letter Z's daily job. How he gets home from his place of employment is the subject of this children's book by Jon Agee.

Preschoolers and young children enjoy picture books that are filled with interesting illustrations and that can tell a story whether words are used or not. In Jon Agee's alphabet book, the letter Z leaves his daily job at the end of the day and experiences all sorts of adventures on th
Beth Bacon
This alphabet book has a simple plot that the Z from a Zoo sign commutes home passing, in alphabetical order, letters formed in interesting scenes. For example, X is for Xerox, and the scene is a woman, outside, using a copy machine and her papers all have an X on them and are scattered in the shape of an X. Don't try to think too hard: we never know why the "OO" on the ZOO sign don't go home, or why the Z lives in a house with similarly colored letters and punctuation marks.
Library
A fun alphabet book in which Z walks readers through the alphabet on his way home from working in the City Zoo sign. Z walks past a jetty, a factory and a bridge among other items that are all drawn in the shape of their starting letter. Agee's illustrations to match the word for each letter are subtle but it is a great extra detail. Another bonus is Agee's inclusion of a glossary since some his selected words might be new additions to the vocabulary of his young readers.
Amanda
A neat ABC book to go with all the others we have out right now. This one is very graphic (almost architectural, which is why I chose it) and has some interesting words for each letter ie jetty and xerox. The letters aren't always so easy to make out in the landscape, but that's one of the fun parts about it. Anything with letters is OK in my son's mind and this was no exception. We've read it several times and he likes to call out the letters as we go. On U, where there are a number of athletes ...more
Brendan Howard
Talking through the pictures before the title was my favorite part. Awesome twist
Ashlea
Z goes home is an alphabet book. Z has worked all day is on his way home. On the route home he pass an alien, bridge, a cake, ect, something for every letter. The bridge makes a B, the cake makes a C, ect, till he reaches home. The book is made up of 26 words, one word for every letter.

Activity #1- Have the students take the 26 different words and write a paragraph including all 26 words.

Activity #2- Have the students pick another letter and make a map of the letter’s way home. The map must incl
Alex Bemis
This is a fun book for learning letters as well as reading a story. It isn't completely focused on the letters, but it tells a story of the letter Z.
Joseph Lapierre
Z Goes Home is a book I found very enjoyable. I think and would suggest that this book would be most beneficial for grades 1-3.Throughout the book each letter is exemplified by a noun for example (Ink,etty,arate). Also each object is also shaped like the letter. For example " a round cake". In most alphabet books, letters follow one after the other and children know what's coming next, but this is less predictable. Bold shapes and lines create a clean, comical look. I loved this book and most de ...more
This alphabet book opens with letter "Z" hopping down from his perch of the city zoo sign. As he heads home, he passes all the other letters of the alphabet in their various incantations: A is an A-shaped alien, B is a B-shaped bridge, and so on. Part of the fun is identifying each letter and, as with all good alphabet books, there are interesting vocabulary words to learn. Format and illustrations in the graphic style of Agee's "Milo's Hat" - thick pencil lines filled with watercolor.
Shanshad Whelan
An unusual alphabet book that is pure Jon Agee. It's not going to be the best for young children learning their ABC's, but it's fun. A little dated, however, since most younger generation kiddos won't recognize the term "xerox" any longer.
M.
I love alphabet books and this one is definitely one that I would like to own when I have children. Mr. Agee used words that are not your typical "ABC" book choices. I enjoyed the illustrations for this one as well.
Lauren Barnum
I loved how this book was able to give each letter a unique name and a unique way of showing the letter. Also, if the kids get confused or don't know what a word is, it gives simple definitions.
Deborah
Z leaves the zoo and travels all over the land to make it home, passing landmarks that resemble letters. Z finally makes it home to the rest of the alphabet.

Recommended 5-8 years old.
Bunnyjadwiga
A good basic alphabet picture book, but not up to the standards of AlphaOops or LMNO Peas. My five year old let me read it but didn't request it again.
Jill
Very cute, but it's a little boring for my 2 1/2 year old as he doesn't know his letters yet. Maybe in a year or two . . .
Jen
Nov 25, 2012 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
This is a basic alphabet book but it has delightful pictures.
Kim Graff
This is a really well done ABC book. The pictures are very engaging.
Bree
Bree added it
Oct 23, 2014
Deidra
Deidra added it
Sep 16, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Little Santa My Rhinoceros Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road? Milo's Hat Trick Terrific