Start by marking “Facing the Lion, Being the Lion: Finding Inner Courage Where It Lives” as Want to Read:
Facing the Lion, Being the Lion: Finding Inner Courage Where It Lives

Facing the Lion, Being the Lion: Finding Inner Courage Where It Lives

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A work from the heart that calls us to look within and grow.

Facing the Lion, Being the Lion is work from the heart that helps us find our own courage and experience how connection to our own core connects us to all of humankind, as well as to nature and spirit itself. Nepo invites us to encounter the stories of ordinary people, political activists, artists, and spiritual

Published October 1st 2007 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Lion, Being the Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Lion, Being the Lion

Ioana
Lovely phenomenological exploration of facing difficulty, ourselves, and each other with compassion, mindful attention, and acceptance. I loved the stories, anecdotes, poetry, and bits of history (stories about MLK, Jefferson) that Nepo used to illustrate his points.

Minus one star for:
* focusing too much on relationship. YES, I absolutely agree that facing "the lion" (a challenge) by "being" the lion (with courage) is about accepting others, learning to love them in their entirety, being mindful
Kat Kiddles
Feb 23, 2011 Kat Kiddles rated it it was ok
Nepo digs deep into the beds of fertile soil that make up our innate potential, wriggling long tendrils of exploration into the dirt like worms tunneling in search of moist warmth and nourishment. He turns the earth, showing you the pebbles that were once mountains, eventually destroyed by time and man. He brings up to the surface the tiny seedlings preparing for the sun’s maternal embrace, and implores you to scrounge up the patience to allow the seedlings to sprout.

To read the whole review vis
Janet
Feb 29, 2016 Janet rated it liked it
Not one of my favorites of Nepo's but nonetheless still damned good and important.
Diane
Dec 28, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I saw this book advertized. Instead of buying it, I checked it out from the library. This book talks about courage. The author's premise is that the word courage is to stand by one's core. He includes many stories, from the lives of ordinary people, that illustrate his point. It is an interesting study.
Corrina
Sep 18, 2009 Corrina rated it it was amazing
This is an easy book to love. Each chapter is a gentle urging to stretch, from the inside out, into a bolder, more dynamic, more present life. It's one of those books you can just leave around for a while, then pick up and read another chapter and come away inspired and thoughtful.
Elisabeth
Nov 13, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Mark Nepo has a way with words. I really enjoyed this small book on courage and how to live. It got a little abstract in places where I felt like more concreteness would have been helpful, but overall a wonderful read.
Saira Priest
Dec 13, 2012 Saira Priest rated it it was amazing
Loved it! For those who like to go deep. This book was deep. Read it nice and slow and give yourself time to meditate between each topic.
Cathy Rosenberg
Mar 26, 2008 Cathy Rosenberg rated it it was amazing
This is the most powerful book I have EVER read. It taught me so much about being a human being.
Deb
Mar 20, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
Interesting - brings together lots of odds and ends of knowledge
Susan
Jul 12, 2012 Susan added it
Great book
Lisa Dufault
Lisa Dufault marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Anaperla
Anaperla is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Tori
Tori rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Edmalyn Dolor
Edmalyn Dolor marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Itai
Itai marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Daška Hatton
Daška Hatton rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2016
Jilly Bean
Jilly Bean marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Rene
Rene marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Victoria Manning
Victoria Manning marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Ginny
Ginny rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Blackwater
Blackwater marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
PaulaJ
PaulaJ marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

“…I keep looking for one more teacher, only to find that fish learn from the water and birds learn from the sky.” (p.275)” 48 likes