Start by marking “Facing the Lion, Being the Lion: Finding Inner Courage Where It Lives” as Want to Read:
Facing the Lion, Being the Lion: Finding Inner Courage Where It Lives

Facing the Lion, Being the Lion: Finding Inner Courage Where It Lives

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A work from the heart that calls us to look within and grow.

Facing the Lion, Being the Lion is work from the heart that helps us find our own courage and experience how connection to our own core connects us to all of humankind, as well as to nature and spirit itself. Nepo invites us to encounter the stories of ordinary people, political activists, artists, and spiritual

Published October 1st 2007 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Lion, Being the Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Lion, Being the Lion

Ioana
Lovely phenomenological exploration of facing difficulty, ourselves, and each other with compassion, mindful attention, and acceptance. I loved the stories, anecdotes, poetry, and bits of history (stories about MLK, Jefferson) that Nepo used to illustrate his points.

Minus one star for:
* focusing too much on relationship. YES, I absolutely agree that facing "the lion" (a challenge) by "being" the lion (with courage) is about accepting others, learning to love them in their entirety, being mindful
Kat Kiddles
Nepo digs deep into the beds of fertile soil that make up our innate potential, wriggling long tendrils of exploration into the dirt like worms tunneling in search of moist warmth and nourishment. He turns the earth, showing you the pebbles that were once mountains, eventually destroyed by time and man. He brings up to the surface the tiny seedlings preparing for the sun’s maternal embrace, and implores you to scrounge up the patience to allow the seedlings to sprout.

To read the whole review vis
Diane
I saw this book advertized. Instead of buying it, I checked it out from the library. This book talks about courage. The author's premise is that the word courage is to stand by one's core. He includes many stories, from the lives of ordinary people, that illustrate his point. It is an interesting study.
Corrina
This is an easy book to love. Each chapter is a gentle urging to stretch, from the inside out, into a bolder, more dynamic, more present life. It's one of those books you can just leave around for a while, then pick up and read another chapter and come away inspired and thoughtful.
Elisabeth
Mark Nepo has a way with words. I really enjoyed this small book on courage and how to live. It got a little abstract in places where I felt like more concreteness would have been helpful, but overall a wonderful read.
Saira Priest
Loved it! For those who like to go deep. This book was deep. Read it nice and slow and give yourself time to meditate between each topic.
Cathy Rosenberg
This is the most powerful book I have EVER read. It taught me so much about being a human being.
Deb
Interesting - brings together lots of odds and ends of knowledge
Susan
Jul 12, 2012 Susan added it
Great book
Pavel
Pavel marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Alivue
Alivue marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Lizel Besa
Lizel Besa marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Dan Gobble
Dan Gobble marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Sandra Kerr
Sandra Kerr marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Franlie Ramos
Franlie Ramos marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
John Lubin
John Lubin marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Chelsea Carlson
Chelsea Carlson marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Jeffrey Howard
Jeffrey Howard marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
MARGIE
MARGIE added it
Aug 23, 2014
Marisela Rodriguez
Marisela Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Marley
Marley marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have Seven Thousand Ways to Listen: Staying Close to What Is Sacred The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life Finding Inner Courage Reduced to Joy

“…I keep looking for one more teacher, only to find that fish learn from the water and birds learn from the sky.” (p.275)” 46 likes