Start by marking “The First Lady” as Want to Read:
The First Lady

The First Lady (Church #3)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  2,530 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Charlene Wilson, First Lady of First Jamaica Ministries, has lived a good life with her beloved husband, Bishop T.K. Wilson. If the Lord is ready to call her home, she's ready to go--her only concern is finding T. K. a good woman to look after him when she's gone. Charlene has four candidates in mind: Marlene, the mother of T.K's illegitimate daughter; Monique Johnson, who ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Dafina

To ask other readers questions about The First Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Lady

Every Thug Needs a Lady by Wahida ClarkThe Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteTrue to the Game by Teri WoodsThugs and the Women Who Love Them by Wahida ClarkThe Dopeman's Wife by JaQuavis Coleman
THE BEST URBAN FICTION EVER
57th out of 174 books — 139 voters
Waking with Enemies by Eric Jerome DickeyDying for Revenge by Eric Jerome DickeySleeping with Strangers by Eric Jerome DickeyChasing Destiny by Eric Jerome DickeyThe Other Woman by Eric Jerome Dickey
Books by Alphas
7th out of 90 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelley
This book is about a church bishop, whose wife (the church's First Lady) has died. Prior to the First Lady's death, she and her friend (the church secretary) wrote a series of letters to be delivered after her death to 4 women of the church whom would be in the running to become the new First Lady after her death.

The four women are: Marlene, the bishop's first girlfriend, whom he has a child with and she is currently a recovering drug addict; Savannah, a younger woman whose father (a deacon in t
Ebony
I didn't like this book at all. I only read it all the way through because I was in the ER all night with a family member and there was nothing to do but read. The book was incredibly unrealistic! I regret that this was the first book by Carl Weber that I've ever read because now I'm not sure I want to read anything else by him.
Connie
Kept me reading page after page. Intriguing Plot.

When I first started reading "The First Lady" I was about to close the book and forget about it, because it was so boring and tedious to read. I'm glad I didn't, because this story turned out to be a very enjoyable read. By midway, I was getting a good dose of all the spitefulness and scheming that these women of the church could dream up. Cark Weber didn't hold anything back as he unfolded the driving force of these women as they competed to bec
Khyrra
This story was an eye opener to the inner workings of an African American church. Very entertaining in how we as humans can be when we're faced with trying to live right. Along with that theme, there is a love story brewing which drew me in because I wanted to see who would win TK's heart. I found myself comparing each woman's characteristics, wondering to myself, "is she right for TK?". Trust me, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find out who finally wins his heart.

P.S. this story also reminde
Lab
Just finshed this book.Whew is all that I can say...Brief premise the 1st lady of West Jamacia is dying and takes it upon herself to pick her husbands next 1st lady of the church...Alot of backbitting and scandel just to call the Bishop their man..Was a gr8t quick read didn't disapoint...Might make you look at your church a little differentlyyy.
Adrienna
So far, this book tends to be unrealistic for me where a first lady on her death bed would write letters to other women to be the next first lady for her husband Bishop T.K. Wilson.

You also see the behind the scenes, where bishop didn't even know the Lord and went under a former deacon wings and became a changed man. (I was a little surprised to see him drinking with his friend, to talk about women, and who would be the next lady in his life).

I just read less than halfway, and read a disgusting
Denise Gilliam
This book was good. I loved the way the first lady took care of family even in her dying days. I was reading this book and watching TV at the same time so that's how bad I wanted to finish this book. Another great read by Carl Weber. Great addition to the church series. 5 star read....
Dez Cooper
It was ok....just ok. Just a bit of "church" drama, not as much as I would have liked to see. In the end though, I WILL say that I was surprised by the Bishop's choice. All-in-all, this was one of the more toned down books that I have read from Carl Webber.....but I guess every book cant be laced with jaw dropping drama...
Brittany Robinson
To whom:this may
corcen i hope
you enjoy it.

The name of the author is Carl Weber he is the bestselling author oy So you call yourself a man,The preachers son,Player hater,Lookin'for luv,married men,and baby momma dramma.He is also the publisher and editorial director of urban books.He graduated from Virgina state unversity with a B.S in accounting and has an MBA in marking from the unversity of virginia.He lives in long island,newyork with his family.
Lydia
This was an interesting take on the inter workings of a large black church. The authors has been in a church like this or knows someone intermittently who was the pastor.
Tushauna Jones
This was a good book of how a church could really act. I am glad that he made up his own mind and not what he thought "looked good".
Tqwana
I'm glad I read this out of order, because I don't know if this one would've hooked me like The Choir Director. The same great storytelling is there, but I'm not sure character development is the same. Not enough of the Bishop's point of view, maybe. The ending seemed a bit rushed. Or maybe the build up to his choice was too subtle. And Lisa Mae and Loretta really got away with a serious crime! Knowing what I know about one of the other women, considering the role she played in this book, I'm tr ...more
Gwendolyn Hill
Not what I thought was gonna happen. Good book, but I love all of his books.
Tramika  Chatfield
Soo This book was really good. It shed a lot of light on the church or love in the church. Awesome book.
Marsha
The best laid plans are not without drama.
Cathy
Feb 05, 2014 Cathy added it
First Lady of the church was NOTHING to mess with.
Diane
A saucy little story about an respected African American church leader who loses his wife to cancer, but before the first lady of the church died, she wrote a bunch of letters to send out to his potential "new wives" when she is gone. He goes on to reluctantly try to fall in love again...mainly because his late wife told him to from beyond the grave. Really interesting if you don't mind all the sex, crack-whores, sinners and skanks. Really, it was a pretty entertaining beach read for me.
Beth Miller
I've really grown fond of Carl Weber and his writing style. I'll admit...the first 25 pages or so were a little slow...but things picked up and by page 150. It got more difficult to put the book down and go to bed. I was wondering what was going to happen next. He writes in a way that keeps you intrigued and engaged. He also throws in a few twists and turns to spice things up. Yep...I like Mr. Weber, indeed.
Kimmie
Fabulous! I am very much enjoying reading the works of Carl Weber! This book keeps you turning the pages.....the storyline is well thought out and I truly love how all of the different characters points of views are all intertwined! The series of events kept me wanting to read more! I am definitely looking forward to reading "The Choir Director".....Let the drama of First Jamaica Ministries Continue!
Audrey
This is one that I was up until about 3am reading! Sleepy as I don't know what, talkin about "Just one more page!" I'm ready to see what happends now, that the Preacher has found him a new lady.....hmmm I'm glad he chose her because she is not who people thought he would chose. I like the unexpected and usually I'm rooting for the person that most people don't like.
Stashia
loved this! ★★★★★
kisha
Feb 01, 2013 kisha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes Christian Fiction, Beginner readers
Recommended to kisha by: Book club
I didnt really like this book. The only reason I finished is to know who he'd end up with, plus it was a book club read. The characters werent likeable. It was so unrealistic beyond belief. His wife trying to control his life through death? Come one Weber, seriously? Many parts of the story was stereotypical. Some parts kept me interested most didnt.
sheena patterson
I enjoyed this book more than the first. The preacher's son was a good read but this one took the cake for me. I couldn't put it down.
Tasha enderby
This book is not for young ladies at all, there are topic's of discussion and words you have to put your hand over your childrens eye's before reading. This is a very funny, very adult book about a women trying to control things even from the grave. I so can relate on the control issues. I loved this book!
Elaine Tomlin
It is amazing that in the church there is so many women who are all in the minister face waiting to be a 1st lady of a church. It seems there is more women than men and the selection is so few. I can why it is so much competition and what the ministers have to be confronted with also.
Tonya
It was a great story.I love all of Mr.Webers novels that I have read thus far. He is a very talented writer.The main characters were well writen and extremly interesting.The story line was excellent as were the plots.I say thumbs up to Mr.Carl Weber for another magnificent read!
Sylvia
Something from The Jerry Springer Show....
This book was an ok read. It overflowed with drama which is good if you enjoy that negative kind of energy. In my opinion, a little drama is ok but this book seemed to go overboard with it. So glad to be moving to the next book.
Titilayo Ogunmakinwa
I like Carl Weber's ability to play tricks on his readers while telling a story that keeps me intrigued. The end kind of crashed and died to me but definitely a good read, I enjoyed the story that took it there though.
Cathy Cabey
Um um um... This book shows you the side of the good old church folks people pretend does not exist.. Scheming at its best but a very good read. Premeditated antics to try and controll from beyond the grave.
Darcia Scates
Outstanding! This book is a wonderful read. You will not be able to put it down. You will forsake all others until you finish this book. Keep up the good work Carl Weber!!! Loved it! I can't wait for more.
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • Love & Lies (Reverend Curtis Black, #4)
  • Everybody Say Amen
  • When Somebody Loves You Back
  • God Don't Play (God Don't Like Ugly, #3)
  • Just Too Good to Be True
Carl Weber is a New York Times and #1 Essence® bestselling novelist.

In addition to his writing, Weber is the founder and publisher of Urban Books and in 2005, he was named Blackboard's Publisher of the Year. He is the owner of the Urban Knowledge chain of book stores and a past recipient of Blackboard's Bookseller of the Year award.

Weber graduated from Virginia State University and holds an MBA in
More about Carl Weber...

Church (5 books)
  • The Preacher's Son
  • So You Call Yourself A Man
  • Up To No Good
  • Torn Between Two Lovers
Baby Momma Drama She Ain't The One Something On the Side Married Men So You Call Yourself A Man