Start by marking “Movie-Made America: A Cultural History of American Movies” as Want to Read:
Movie-Made America: A Cultural History of American Movies

Movie-Made America: A Cultural History of American Movies

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Hailed as the definitive work upon its original publication in 1975 and now extensively revised and updated by the author, this vastly absorbing and richly illustrated book examines film as an art form, technological innovation, big business, and shaper of American values. 80 black-and-white photos.
Published December 5th 1994 by Vintage (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Movie-Made America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Movie-Made America

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein1984 by George OrwellA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnManufacturing Consent by Noam ChomskyUnderstanding Power by Noam Chomsky
Best Left-Texts
106th out of 232 books — 107 voters
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradThe Odyssey by HomerThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Books That Deserve a Higher Rating (Avg Rating < 3.7)
165th out of 361 books — 159 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim
Movie-Made America is a cultural history of the movies. As such it asks deep questions about how movies have altered our desires and conception of reality, especially related to consumerism, and about the limits of its ability to make alterations, especially regarding social class and capitalism. Looking at movies and directors, but also at the business of the film industry and its relationship to the larger American culture, this is an excellent overview. It would be great if it carried through ...more
Mike
Let me say that this was an incredibly important work when it was published. Up to that point, histories of film had mostly been indices of movies or Great Man texts. Sklar took movies off the screen and into the streets, so to speak. With that said, it is overly broad and attempts to tackle too much. As a introductory text, it is great. However, I did not learn much new from it. It is certainly a foundational text and worth reading just to see what conversations were happening back in the mid-7 ...more
Meen
Really liked the early history (the first part of the book), but grew bored as it moved into the late 2oth century. This might be because the book was originally written in the 1970s, so what was present then is history now and I think that gives a different perspective and probably leads to different historical conclusions. And that problem is even worse for the updated portion of the second edition (which takes us up through the early 1990s).

The Story of Film: An Odyssey was much more enjoyab
Dwight
Really nice read about the cultural history of movies in the United States. Some very interesting stuff. My only complaint is having read the original 1975 edition. As a result, 34 years of American movie culture go untouched. At any rate, it addresses the beginning of film quite nicely. I think it'll end up having been a good jumping off point to other books that go into more (recent) detail.
Amanda
This is a fairly dreadful "history" of the American film industry that relies heavily on the ideas of the "great man" theory of history and definitely takes the view that nothing good happened after the break-up of the studio system in 1948. FAR too many metaphors and a great many unsubstantiated claims about audience reception.
Ke Huang
This books provides a sweeping history of the American film industry (as the title may suggest), but the title may not suggest that it gets in depth in some parts more than others. Nevertheless, I recommend it to anyone who believes that America is culture-less.
Teresa Wang
Pretty interesting but verrryyyyy longggggg
Diana
Some bias at the end makes me wonder a little about how objective the beginning is. And of course it's lacking a bit due to when it was published/revised. Overall, though, a very readable and informative overview of American cinema history. Worthwhile.
Rebecca
May 24, 2009 Rebecca rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Film Class
Shelves: nonfiction
I had to read this for my film class. I didn't read the entire thing, but I read most of it. The content was pretty interesting, and it would be even more so if I could view the films it discusses. It is a new and interesting way to look at films.
Sandra
Mar 12, 2010 Sandra added it
Increased my knowledge on how films are made and was part of my reading when I was in Film Studies at Concordia University. Still on my shelf at home. As well as others on documentaries, and books on film theory.
Blair
Very, very dry. More like an archive/reference book on the history of film in the US than I'd expected - even though it was required reading on a university film course I graded for.
Camille
A brilliant work on American cinema from the 1890s to the early 1990s which deals with movies as a form of entertainment as well as a business.
Christian
A great introductory book for anyone who wants to become more knowledgeable on the history of American cinema.
Mike
great history of the evolution of cinema and the culture it created and was created around
Batgrl (Not Trusting GR With My Reviews/Shelves Now)
(Mine's the 1975 paperback, via used bookstore. Checking to see if I have the newer edition too.)
tim
A clear, and dense history of film's impact on America. It's a pretty essential history, I think.
Marianna
Liked it, but anything I have to read for a class gets downgraded a bit by default.
Whitney
I learned a ton from this book about film in American culture!
Kathy
Film 106A, and I actually read this one too. Rarity!
Katharyn
Read for HISTAA365: History of American Film
Sarah Sammis
One of my favorite textbooks from film school.
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Qiqi
Qiqi marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
  • The Women Who Knew Too Much: Hitchcock and Feminist Theory
  • Film Noir Reader
  • Negative Space: Manny Farber on the Movies
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • Film Art: An Introduction (Seventh Edition)
  • The Major Film Theories: An Introduction
  • Documentary: A History of the Non-Fiction Film
  • American Movie Critics: An Anthology From the Silents Until Now
A World History of Film (Trade Version) Film: An International History of the Medium (Trade Version) City Boys: Cagney, Bogart, Garfield Movie-Made America: A Cultural History of American Movies Global Neorealism: The Transnational History of a Film Style