The Last Worthless Evening: Four Novellas and Two Short Stories

The Last Worthless Evening: Four Novellas and Two Short Stories

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The classic Dubus collection—now available as an ebook

Yet another tour de force from an American master of fiction

In his fifth collection of short fiction, Andre Dubus exhibits his remarkable storytelling range. In “Deaths at Sea,” two naval officers, one black and one white, must come to terms with a history and an institution steeped in racism. “After the Game” tells th...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1986)

pam
just now finished this short story/novella collection and i feel as though i've had the wind knocked out of me. the final story (rose) is by far the best of the lot. generally, the writing is sparse (similar to hemingway) and the insights into our humanity subtle, sophisticated and moving. there is a great deal of despair, shame, anguish amongst the pages, but also a few tender, redemptive moments. he writes about uneasy, complicated topics and illustrates how one mis-timed, poorly-considered ac...more
Noah
The first story was quite beautiful. So were the next two I read, but they were all exactly the same. And when you can't tell the difference between a narrator who's a naval officer from New Orleans, a MLB player and a drunk in a Lowell bar, there's a problem.
Laurens Schaad
The Last Worthless Evening
Andre Dubus
David R. Godine Publisher, January 1st 1997

Full of drama in every story that shocks my view on his characters, The Last Worthless Evening by Andre Dubus creates enthralling stories that must be finished. This book contains six different stories each with their own cruel twists. Dubus is able to portray real believable people and creates for them their personal tormented history and future in a condensed but not rushed story so you get the full effect of thei...more
Bob Mustin
Andre Dubus has been billed for years as perhaps the U.S.’s premier short story writer, and I certainly see evidence of such talent in this collection. But the trap our preeminent writers sometimes seem to fall into as their reputation grows is to allow their talent to drift into stories in which shortcomings settle, take seed, and grow. And I see ample evidence of that in this collection.

The stories here are on the surface a mixed bag: racism in the ‘50s U.S. Navy. A fatally sick Hispanic baseb...more
Rhonda
What works for me in Dubus' writing is his evocation of mood and his ability to write a woman's perspective with honesty. I can't read more than one or two of his stories at a time, and so his books are read in fits and starts for me. There is something both lovely and terrible about the stories so that I can't look too long.
Casey Ashley
If I could have given this book 4.5 stars I would have. It didn't change my life, so it does not get the elusive 5 stars from me. Fantastic short stories. This author was certainly influenced by Hemingway so if you like that style, you'll most likely enjoy this book. I will definitely purchase other books by Dubus.
Denali
A mixed bag but overall a good collection. atmospheric, heart-rending, and able to express the complicated things people think and feel in simple language. i read this b/c it was a kindle daily deal and I'm very glad I did.
Dayna
As short story/novella collections are want to be, this one was uneven. I particularly enjoyed the first novella which addresses race relations post-integration. The "detective" novella and "Rose" were other top performers.
Alan
Although all the stories in this book were excellent, the novella "Rose" was amazing. A great writer who can condense so much within the parameters of short story.
David R.  Godine
"'Rose,' by itself, is worth the price of the book; it is the most powerful entry in Dubus's impressive canon."
Time
Elizabeth Heller
I really enjoyed this collection. The first was my favorite but they all have interesting people and atmosphere you can feel.
bobherzog zog
Mar 28, 2008 bobherzog zog rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Dubus, Wolff, Richard Ford, Carver
Shelves: short-stories
Not his best, but still solid. Typical Dubus stuff: military, men, baseball, people dying in unfortunate ways.
Terry L Turrell
Jon must have bought this book. I'm not sure about it. Having trouble getting into it. 10/5/11
Suzanne
I don't usually read short stories, but I'm glad I read these. Beautifully written.
Kim
Buy it for nothing else if not "Rose"
Kathleen Valentine
So far this is excellent.
Day Lee
Read in 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jennifer Porter
Jennifer Porter is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Ké
marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Spacious Critter
Spacious Critter marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
JeanneBee
JeanneBee marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Anthony Zielinski
Anthony Zielinski marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Tobias
Tobias marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Mw Pm
Mw Pm marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Award-winning author Andre Dubus II (1936–1999) has been hailed as one of the best American short story writers of the twentieth century. Dubus’s collections of short fiction include Separate Flights (1975), Adultery & Other Choices (1977), and Dancing After Hours (1996), which was a National Book Critics Circle Award finalist. Another collection, Finding a Girl in America, features the story...more
More about Andre Dubus...
Selected Stories Dancing After Hours In the Bedroom We Don't Live Here Anymore Meditations from a Movable Chair