Start by marking “Getting Open: The Unknown Story of Bill Garrett and the Integrat” as Want to Read:
Getting Open: The Unknown Story of Bill Garrett and the Integrat

Getting Open: The Unknown Story of Bill Garrett and the Integrat

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Bill Garrett was the Jackie Robinson of college basketball. In 1947, the same year Robinson broke the color line in major league baseball, Garrett integrated big-time college basketball. By joining the basketball program at Indiana University, he broke the gentleman's agreement that had barred black players from the Big Ten, college basketball's most important conference. ...more
Published December 3rd 2011 by Atria Books (first published March 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Open

Chad
Dec 06, 2010 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book about basketball. If you liked Hoosiers you'll enjoy reading this book.
Kirk
Apr 25, 2008 Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up last Monday (4/21) at a great bookshop in Shelbyville IN called Three Sisters---only a partial tribute to Chekov given that the store is indeed owned by three sisters. Getting Open won the Best Books of Indiana Nonfiction Award in 2007, and it's a well-deserved reward: the book recounts the story of late 40s/early 50s star basketballer Bill Garrett, who took Shelbyville to the state champs and then was one of the first black players for the U of Indiana. Garrett died in 1974, an ...more
Barb
Apr 04, 2015 Barb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read about the integration of college basketball. A great gift for young basketball fans headed off to college.
Roderick
Amazing story about the first black basketball player in the Big Ten, Bill Garrett at IU, and his unique experiences playing for Shelbyville HS.
Diener
Mar 13, 2011 Diener rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dave Shelles, Angel Holmes
Shelves: sports, history, biography
Most of us know of Jackie Robinson. But how many of us know of Bill Garrett? Whether or not you like basketball, or even sports, Bill Garrett's story is one that you must know. It both confounds and inspires, dampens the spirits and raises them. I do not remember reading a better "sports" book that so profoundly embodies the mid-20th century American experience.
Jpaflas
Really interesting book that shows Bill Garrett's arduous battle to be the first African American basketball player in the Big Ten well. It is also an interesting look at the old days of recruiting... they were probably sleazier than they are now.
Neil Sagebiel
Feb 19, 2012 Neil Sagebiel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. My mom grew up in Shelbyville, Indiana, and went to the 1947 state championship game. My dad has told me Bill Garrett stories over the years. This book helped inspire me to write my first sports history book.
Tyler Michael
I liked the story but at times it can be boring. I like the story a lot, and want to read more having to do with this topic.
Greg
Oct 13, 2011 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story finally told! A must read for any fan of basketball, history and integration. Go Hoosiers.
Dale Stonehouse
Dale Stonehouse rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Dustin Hartley
Dustin Hartley rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2016
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Keith
Keith is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2016
John Gipson
John Gipson rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Thom Bland
Thom Bland rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Thomas R. Graham
Thomas R. Graham rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Db
Db rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Randy Grimshaw
Randy Grimshaw rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Justice
Justice marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Gordon Reid
Gordon Reid rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Ohaodhagain
Ohaodhagain rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Sandy Roberts
Sandy Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Clay Trainum
Clay Trainum rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Dumbledore Baggins
Dumbledore Baggins rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Bravo Young
Bravo Young rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Sam Nwadike
Sam Nwadike marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Multiple authors with the same name, this author is entered with 7 spaces.

Tom Graham grew up in Bill Garrett's hometown. He played basketball there and on the freshman team at Indiana University, so he knew many of Garrett's coaches, teammates, and fans. A graduate of Harvard Law School, he is an international trade lawyer in Washington, D.C.
More about Tom Graham...