Start by marking “The Temple of Yellow Skulls: A Dungeons & Dragons Novel” as Want to Read:
The Temple of Yellow Skulls: A Dungeons & Dragons Novel

The Temple of Yellow Skulls: A Dungeons & Dragons Novel (The Abyssal Plague #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Following close on the heels of The Mark of Nerath, Don Bassingthwaite picks up the action and takes the characters into the eye of a new kind of Dungeons & Dragons® adventure...

Imprisoned in the void of a ruined universe by vengeful gods, Tharizdun—the Chained God, the Elder Elemental Eye—shares his exile with the Progenitor, a pool of liquid crystal that is all that
Published March 1st 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Temple of Yellow Skulls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temple of Yellow Skulls

Travis
The Temple of Yellow Skulls by Don Bassingthwaite

The Temple of Yellow Skulls is the first book in The Abyssal Plague trilogy. The sequel by James Wyatt titled the Oath of Vigilance is due out August 2011 and is the only other book in the trilogy that has been announced. The third and final book has yet to have an official title at the time of this review. The Abyssal Plague trilogy is set in the Dungeons and Dragons novel line. However, the Abyssal Plague spreads into other novel lines. There is
Christian Lindke
Bassingthwaite's Eberron books are among the best examples of how to balance good storytelling while making a work of media tie-in fiction reflect its origins. Bassingthwaite had a way of incorporating the tone of the Eberron setting and the mechanics of D&D into the narrative without the game mechanics getting in the way of the mechanics of good storytelling. His Dragon Below series is among the best D&D media tie-in fiction written to date.

I had high hopes for The Temple of Yellow Sku
Robert
Disclaimer-If you read the review and feel there is a spoiler in it, please let me know and I will remove that section. Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

The Temple of Yellow Skulls by Don Bassingthwaite is labeled as the first book in The Abyssal Plague trilogy. The Gates of Madness which is divided into 5 parts of different D&D WotC books is considered the Origin and The Mark of Nerath by Bill Slavicsek is considered the prelude. The second book, Oath of Vig
Justin
Evocative and engaging story from start to finish. As an early book in the series, the purpose of this was to set the stage--at least in the Nentir Vale--for the story to come. I read James Wyatt's short story that gives background on one of the villains prior to reading this, and was glad that I did, as it allowed me to understand the background behind what happened here better. But it probably wasn't necessary, because Bassingthwaite did a nice job of delivering this story in an approachable, ...more
Bryan
The first in the Abyssal Plague trilogy for Nentir Vale. I wish they wouldn't abandon 4e so easily. WoTC is losing my business with their constant changes.
James
This was a good book with some really good characters. The beginning can get a little confusing between all the different elements but it is worth the pay out at the end. I look forward to the next book in this trilogy.
Brian Bandy
Good book, really good book. I just wish he could have told more about Kri rather than that he was just a priest of Ioun. I also wish that Vestapalk had some minions other than just the zombies.
William Miller
the books in this series just keep getting better.
David Schwarm
Excellent--a great start to the series!
John Bois
John Bois marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Gonçalo
Gonçalo marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Phaez
Phaez added it
Dec 06, 2014
Michael Boursaw
Michael Boursaw marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Dorkboy
Dorkboy marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Kadir
Kadir marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kelso
Kelso marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Don lives with his partner in Toronto, surrounded by gadgets, spice jars, and too many books.

No, I don’t normally refer to myself in the third person. That’s the official author bio from the back of my most recent books. You want some other trivia?

I’m a fan of the serial comma.
I’m a huge fan of breakfast cereal.
I own one (and only one) stuffed animal — a Highland cow from Edinburgh named “Ewan
More about Don Bassingthwaite...

The Abyssal Plague (10 books)
  • The Mark of Nerath (The Abyssal Plague)
  • Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane
  • The Gates of Madness  (The Abyssal Plague, #0)
  • Oath of Vigilance (The Abyssal Plague, #2)
  • The Eye of the Chained God
  • Sword Of The Gods (Forgotten Realms: The Abyssal Plague, #1)
  • Under the Crimson Sun (Dark Sun, #2)
  • Shadowbane
  • Spinner of Lies: A Forgotten Realms Novel
The Binding Stone (Eberron: The Dragon Below, #1) The Yellow Silk (Forgotten Realms: The Rogues, #4) Mistress of the Night (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #2) The Grieving Tree (Eberron: The Dragon Below, #2) The Killing Song (Eberron: The Dragon Below, #3)