Start by marking “What's Gotten into Us?: Staying Healthy in a Toxic World” as Want to Read:
What's Gotten into Us?: Staying Healthy in a Toxic World

What's Gotten into Us?: Staying Healthy in a Toxic World

What’s Gotten into Us? is a deep, remarkable, and empowering investigation into the threats—biological and environmental—that chemicals now present in our daily lives.

Do you know what chemicals are in your shampoo? How about your cosmetics? Do you know what’s in the plastic water bottles you drink from, or the weed killer in your garage, or your children’s pajamas? If you
Published April 19th 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about What's Gotten into Us?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Gotten into Us?

Justin
Nov 10, 2016 Justin rated it liked it
Shelves: health
While the author obviously cared/researched the actionable items are buried and hard to find
Sara
Horrifying. You're in for a nightmare/wake-up call reading this one. I have no regrets and I'm glad I'm more informed now as a consumer. If you have children or if you really care about living a healthy life style, drop the plastics and the synthetics and the pesticides.

If you want to make smart decisions that could end up saving you a trip to the doctor, even save you from potential cancers, please read this book. It is a shocker how much we are bombarded by chemicals that have not been tested,
Emily
May 24, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
#22: A book that scares you.

Read this book and you will never again walk through Wal-Mart or Home Depot without a sense of fear, knowing that the shelves are stocked with products that are slowly killing you.

It's horribly depressing knowing just how bad the situation is, and it's even more depressing to learn that our government doesn't really give a shit about the wellbeing of U.S. citizens, especially when it would interfere with large corporations losing money.

If you need me, I'll be I'll b
Jess Dollar
Oct 02, 2011 Jess Dollar rated it really liked it
Scary. You know as you read this book that's it's really important that you forget some of it when you are done. There is only so much that we can do to reduce our exposure to toxins in our environments. This is a 1-2 day read and is very easy to understand. I liked the approach of talking about things in categories: the big box store (shampoos, lotions, cosmetics, particle board furniture, paint, cleaning supplies, etc), the tap, the home, the body, and the lawn.
Gave concrete guidelines for wa
Linda
Jul 26, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Scared and informed me. Made me do an 11pm raid of the kids cups in the cupboard. What I learned - don't drink from recycle no. 3, 6 or 7. I threw out only three cups and still worried. This book is a bit more detailed than I am used to reading, but the author is a college professor. This felt like a book I would have to read in college, but good. I really like the appendix with hands-on answers for how to make a healthier environment for your home and life. Thank goodness for that part. I recom ...more
Michaela
Aug 08, 2013 Michaela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, favorites
So good.

This book completely opened my eyes to so many disturbing ideas, but particularly the idea that we, the consumers, are responsible for ensuring the safety of anything we come in contact with: shampoo, cleaning products, nail polish, water and more. And the repercussions for not taking that responsibility might be huge.

Although we may not all agree that using the wrong waterbottle causes cancer, but we can all agree that it would be bad if our water bottle did cause cancer. Jenkins' messa
Aidan
Jun 04, 2014 Aidan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Certainly alarming, but I wouldn't call it "alarmist." Since the author is local, this hit home especially hard for me. While I've already been working to remove chemicals from my home by selectively buying cleaning and personal care products, it was a bit startling to realize how much chemical exposure can still be out of my (all of our) control. Thus, the sections regarding legal challenges to the chemical industry were encouraging. The author knows his stuff, and the appendices and guides at ...more
The Librarian
May 09, 2011 The Librarian rated it really liked it
Jenkins made a potentially heavy topic with lots of scientific and medically terminology into a very accessible, interesting (and frightening) read.

I highly recommend reading this if you are even remotely concerned about the chemicals that are going into our bodies - often unknowingly.

The author included a very helpful appendix of info, agencies, and websites as well.

Cal
Aug 27, 2012 Cal rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, nonfiction
This book is terrifying! Everyone should read it or something like it. One star docked because I think it should have provided a little more guidance on how to change our lifestyles. It mentioned a few things, but after how hopeless the book left me feeling, it would have been good to be given at least a few more tools.
Donna
Jul 26, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
We are full of an amazing amount of stuff that doesn't belong. People living in relatively pristine areas of Maine test high for bisphenol-A, pthalates, and other nasty stuff. Why?? Pretty depressing research but he does end the book with some good suggestions.
Rachel Taylor
Apr 13, 2012 Rachel Taylor rated it it was amazing
My professor wrote this book and I love it. It's so informative and really made me think about my supposedly "clean" and "healthy" lifestyle. If everyone read it we would all have a chance of obtaining a healthier and cleaner lifestyle.
Jay Resnick
Dec 24, 2015 Jay Resnick rated it it was amazing
Very well-written and documented book that both scared the crap out of me, and helped me understand what my daughter does as an epidemiologist. The lack of any meaningful regulation for the vast array of chemical products in our economy is astounding.
Kendra Acker
Apr 21, 2011 Kendra Acker rated it it was amazing
A must-read. This book changed the way I shop, what I choose to put into and onto my body, and so much more. I read it in a matter of two days because I couldn't put it down.
Bella Faliszewski
Bella Faliszewski rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2013
Nicole Bennett
Nicole Bennett rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
William Kebbe
William Kebbe rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2011
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Casandra
Casandra rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Nicole Perry
Nicole Perry rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Carlie
Carlie rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2014
Rowland
Rowland rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Cheryl Mcintosh
Cheryl Mcintosh rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
  • Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
  • Blue Revolution: Unmaking America's Water Crisis
  • Plastic: A Toxic Love Story
  • In Darwin's Shadow: The Life and Science of Alfred Russel Wallace
  • Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment
  • World Without  Fish
  • 40 Chances: Finding Hope in a Hungry World
  • Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff
  • The New Normal: An Agenda for Responsible Living
  • Badgerlands: The Twilight World of Britain's Most Enigmatic Animal
  • Unnatural Selection: Choosing Boys over Girls and the Consequences of a World Full of Men
  • The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating Heart Cadavers--How Medicine Is Blurring the Line Between Life and Death
  • Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
  • How Babies Talk: The Magic and Mystery of Language in the First Three Years of Life
  • The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
  • Bird on Fire: Lessons from the World's Least Sustainable City