Start by marking “A Certain Want of Reason” as Want to Read:
A Certain Want of Reason

A Certain Want of Reason

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A Certain Want of Reason Kate Dolan Lucia Wright needs a holiday. After years of caring for her "eccentric" younger brother and sister in the country, she accepts a friend's invitation to spend a few weeks enjoying the season in London only to find that life among the city's elite may be even crazier than at home. Lord Edmund Rutherford needs an escape. Sworn since childho ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Ellora's Cave

To ask other readers questions about A Certain Want of Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Certain Want of Reason

Alice
What I liked:
This book made me laugh out loud multiple times! So many hilarious situations and ridiculous banter back and forth- particularly between the "insane" hero and his servant, and also with Geoffrey.
Lucia had a commendable loyalty towards her siblings, given the difficult circumstances, and she truly loved them. Their relationship was really sweet.
The plot was fast-paced and this book is definitely a page-turner! I read over half of it last night.
The hero realizes the selfishness and de
Georgiana
So this lord pretends to be mad in order to avoid hurting his mother's feelings by breaking his childhood engagement to a psychopathic bitch.... Uh huh. Given the zillions of Regency Romances that have been written, it's true, there are now very few original plots left. But possibly one of the reasons no one else has used this particular plot is because it's the loopiest, stupidest one left on the shelf.

But I know, I know - you don't read these things just for the plot - and indeed there are som
Jael
I found this book to be a fun and easy read. The story seems over exaggerated at times but it makes the book more funny than annoying. Overall, it makes for a good laugh and if I have one complaint, it would be that for a book of such light-hearted nature, it's a little too long.

I can't really decide whether to give it 3/4 stars here on Goodreads. Let's just say it deserves 4 stars because I got it for free but it would get 3 if I had paid anything more than $0.99 for it.
Carrie
I wanted a little more out of this book. It wasn't bad not by a long shot. I wanted more depth and detail I guess. The storyline was very interesting but in a way the story felt rushed because of not having the depth/details. In certain parts the story isn't very believable maybe that is why I'm not liking as much. Anyhow I would like to read the next book in the series.
Joan
Dnf. I lost interest after a while. The idea was good but the writing too wordy.
Tammy
Good story, but I think if Sarah Eden had written it, it would have been better.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read
*downloaded free from Ellora's Cave
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Georgeanne
Georgeanne marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Carlien
Carlien marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Juliana Rodrigues
Juliana Rodrigues marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Shontelle Forte
Shontelle Forte marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Mariab
Mariab added it
Oct 25, 2014
Natasha Gough
Natasha Gough marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Colleen Johr
Colleen Johr marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
aka K.D. Hays.

After coming east from Chicago to attend college at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC, Kate Dolan grew attached to the region and never moved back. She holds an interdisciplinary degree in English, history and drama and a law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law, and has written professionally for over ten years in a variety of fields. Currently liv
More about Kate Dolan...
Deceptive Behavior Sense Of The Season (Cotillion Christmas Traditions #8) Change of Address Langley's Choice Bride of Belznickel

“Impossible as it seemed, many of these older ladies, who never stirred from the house past sunset, had either not heard the tales of his behavior two nights ago or had not believed them.
The ones who did obviously has enough manners, or at least enough sense, to keep quiet in the presence of his mother. Had anyone said anything outright, his mother would probably have no qualms about asking the offender to choose a weapon and name her second.”
2 likes
“He collapsed into a chair bedecked with cushions. "Pillows love me," he sighed.” 1 likes