Start by marking “Rag and Bone (Henry Rios Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Rag and Bone (Henry Rios Mystery, #7)

Rag and Bone (Henry Rios Mystery #7)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  25 reviews
One of the most highly acclaimed writers in the mystery genre "explores new emotional depths" in this last Henry Rios novel. The gay Mexican-American attorney, after the loss of his lover, must face his own mortality while recovering from a heart attack-and reach out to a family he didn't know he had.

"For more years than we've noticed, Michael Nava has been creating an i
Published June 4th 2002 by Berkley Trade (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rag and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rag and Bone

Maurice by E.M. ForsterBrokeback Mountain by Annie ProulxThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeGiovanni's Room by James BaldwinTales of the City by Armistead Maupin
Best Gay Fiction
193rd out of 1,111 books — 1,410 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsSticks & Stones by Madeleine UrbanFish & Chips by Abigail RouxArmed & Dangerous by Abigail Roux
Gay and Sexy Characters 40+
196th out of 271 books — 308 voters

More lists with this book...

Lena♥Ribka

"THIS BOOK BRINGS TO an end this series of mysteries and my career as a mystery writer."

Michael Nava

Well, Henry got his happy ending, but there are many other UNHAPPY PIs, lawyers and UNSOLVED cases around there...

WHY to give up a career as a MYSTERY writer?!

Emotions aside, I LOVE Henry Rios and I love Michael Nava's writing.

The last book in one of the most CAPTIVATING mystery series was probably the most PERSONAL in regard to Henry Rios PERSONAL life, comparing to the previous sequels. But
Kaje Harper
This is the last book in the mystery series about gay lawyer Henry Rios. Each book has been a blend of crime/mystery and personal and family drama. Henry has been through a lot, including finding and losing a first love, and various family and friend changes and revelations, all presented in an understated way that is moving, in part because of Henry's very honorable stoicism.

In this book, Henry confronts his own mortality, the shifts in his life and ambitions, a newfound relationship with his s
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is the last in the Henry Rios series and my favorite from the series because it is filled with hope.

Henry's near death experience kind of marks the death of his old life and all his losses and the beginning of the new. Now at the end of this fantastic series Henry for me has become a kind of 20th Century Job, who having lost everything begins life again with family, friends, love and a new opportunity.

Henry reunites with his sister who was distant before and the two of them begin a kind o
Antonella
The last book of an excellent series, it doesn't disappoint. Of course I'm sad to read Nava's words: ''This book brings to an end this series of mysteries and my career as a mystery writer'', but the series had to end at one stage, and it ends in a relatively good place.

In this last story there is slightly more romance than in the others. I wonder if the title's reference to The Circus Animals' Desertion, a poem by William Butler Yeats, was chosen because of this. In the poem Yeats wants to find
Marshall Thornton
Maddy
RATING: 4.75

It’s not my normal reading style to read the last book in a series first, but in the case of Rag and Bone, I’m glad that I broke my own rule. The book is exceptional on many levels and has an emotional resonance that you don’t often find in crime fiction.

Henry Rios is at a point where he feels that life is pretty much meaningless. His long time lover, Josh, died of AIDS. He’s been working as a lawyer for a long time and is burned out. So when a heart attack strikes him down, he is mo
Marge
I enjoy a well-told story with smart characters and a mystery that make me think. And all of the previous books have been that. But they have all had characters with sad lives and very little happiness for anyone involved. Superbly written and realistic, but heart-wrenching.

Rag and Bone takes all the above and adds some likeable characters, a family drama, several people for Henry to love, and a developing romance between two men who act like adults. Okay, I'm a sap. Or maybe just a romantic. B
Mark
Had heard a lot about this author. Was expecting the book to be a crime story somehwere between a murder mystery and a court room drama. I was pleasantly surprised that it really begins to unfold as a personal/family drama and then the mystery comes out in the middle of it with the personal relationships as a rich and complicated backdrop. I came to care so much for the characters b/c the situations were so real. It's also nice to read about gay male characters who aren't actors, models or write ...more
Adam Dunn
Not perfect but very good. I will miss Henry Rios and this series, I'm very glad I found it and read it.
I'm not sure over what exact dates the series was written, I guess I could check (1986-2001) so yeah, a long time. Some of that makes it feel a little disjointed. As a series I would have liked more cohesion between the books and characters and emotions that carry over and there really wasn't any. This book is a great example, for six books we're told Henry is the picture of health and in book
Benjamin
Rag and Bone is Michael Nava's seventh Henry Rios mystery, the gay Chicano laywer. Henry is now in his late forties, and as we rejoin him he is on the verge of a heart attack that leaves him weakened and with little purpose or desire to continue. But soon events will change that.

He learns that his sister, with whom he has had little contact over that she had an illegitimate daughter she gave up for adoption at birth. The daughter, Vicky, has now got in touch with her, and is in need of help; and
William
I've read most of the seven books in the Henry Rios series, and thought would try it one more time. Unfortunately, I just cant't muster the enthusiasm other readers do. Actually, from the books, I find myself thinking Michael Nava must be an awfully good guy, and I like the values his novels display.

But the books themselves simply don't get there for me. In this one, as usual, Henry falls in love altogether to easily and quickly. The relationship never came alive for me. And I guessed almost all
Vivencio
curtain call for henry rios .... the most satisfying read of the series.
_inbetween_
May 15, 2008 _inbetween_ added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to _inbetween_ by: chatpa
This is the seventh and final novel about the gay Latino laywer Henry Rios - and also the last Nava intends to write, which is even sadder. The reviews mostly give away the plot, and by now the critics have aptly described how these mysteries were beautifully executed and contained astute observations, sometimes raw fear and lyric mournfulness, in an always precise style, clarity, with a likable, genuine hero.

My problem is how it all ends here in the traditional conservative mainstream cliché. P
A Michael
I wanted this to be better than it was. It's an enjoyable and easy read and for that I give it 3 stars. However, the lead character, Henry, seems to fall in love instantly, and demonstrates a lack of thorough analysis that seems dichotomous to his character. I could see the solution half way through the book, yet Henry doesn't see it until a key piece of information is presented to him. All in all, the series, which ends with this book, was worth reading but did not live up to my expectations.
Averin
Worth waiting for, Henry's personal life nicely wrapped [referencing [book:The Little Death|17347222]'s Hugh Paris, it always seemed to me that Henry's feeling shouldn't have been despatched so quickly] up. I'm going to re-read the whole series when I'm not carrying 18 units. Nava has a beautiful way with words, proves why my creative writing professor said start with poetry and read it, too.

The mystery parts of his stories aren't always the best. The strength of the Henry Rios stories is how H
Scot
Seventh and final installment in the Henry Rios mystery series. Nava continues to make learning real court room procedures interesting in the way he works the requirements and legal process into the narrative. He also continues his use of strong literary allusions: the title references a Yeats poem, and the classic works of the Iliad and the Odyssey appear as recurring themes. Since this novel brings closure to the series, I strongly recommend reading the other six books first. The mystery itsel ...more
Lisa
What is not to like about Michael Nava's mystery series. Great characters, wonderful LA scenery, and a believable righteous ending. I waited a long time to read this one, the last in the series. My GLBT students always love these books, although they are becoming more and more difficult to find and order.
Writerlibrarian
This last novel in Nava's Henry Rios series makes you happy in the way it closes the series and makes you a little sad that Nava won't write about Henry's life no more.

The plot is a bit iffy, borders a bit too much on the family side of things. Everything is tied up in a neat bow at the end, kinda. Because, well, it's a little too neat for my taste.

But... Henry does find solace. If only for that, for John that comes into Henry's life at the right moment, at the right time, for them to go forwa
Linda
Family takes center focus in this one, the final story in the Henry Rios series. Henry has been largely without family most of his life, and it's heartening to see him and his sister build a bridge between each other, as well as expanding their family in unexpected ways. The mystery revolves around the family as well, but it's not all doom and gloom as in previous books, though there are some casualties along the way. Still, this series leaves Henry, his family and his new relationship in a posi ...more
Kim
I enjoyed Rag and Bone over all of the Henry Rios books I've read so far. Learning more about his upbringing and his relationship with his sister really gave readers a more in-depth look into his life. The bonds formed between Henry and Angel and Henry and John were very sweet.
Mina MacLeod
A stellar conclusion to the Henry Rios mysteries. This books marks a sharp shift in tone from the previous--more than ever before, it focuses on Henry's personal life and family. It's fitting, especially since as of the last book, readers may find themselves growing as weary as Henry with his constant struggle for happiness. Even the case du jour involves family. Overall, very satisfying end.
Joleen
Series books are $1.99 each right now at Amazon US, 12-1-14
Kaetrin
90% off Kobo coupon - 94c
Susan
I am a huge fan of Nava's Henry Rios novels. Henry is a gay criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles and his stories are about more than just the law. This one is the very best. Henry has a heart attack and gains a family. Unfortunately, when you finish the book you get to the Acknowledgements to learn that this is the last Henry Rios book and the end of Michael Nava's mystery writing. Very sad.
Eli
The last Henry Rios book! ::sniffle:: I appreciate that Nava ends the series with some loose ends tied up and others unfolding. Even if he never returns to Henry's life, I can easily imagine it going on, and that's good to be going on with.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
John W
John W is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
Q&A with Josh...: Henry Rios Mysteries Challenge #7: Rag and Bone 19 31 Oct 03, 2014 12:09PM
  • Death Claims (Dave Brandstetter, #2)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Simple Justice (Benjamin Justice, #1)
  • Flight of Aquavit (A Russell Quant Mystery, #2)
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Stranger Things Have Happened: An Adrien English Write Your Own Damn Story (Adrien English Mystery)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
Michael Nava is the author of a groundbreaking series of seven novels featuring a gay, Latino criminal defense lawyer Henry Rios. Nava is a six-time recipient of the Lambda Literary Award in the mystery category, as well as the Bill Whitehead Lifetime Achievement Award for gay and lesbian literature.

He is currently at work on a series of historical novels set in Mexico, the Arizona-Mexican border
More about Michael Nava...

Henry Rios Mystery (7 books)
  • The Little Death