Start by marking “The Mystery of Hurtleberry House (The Reboot Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of Hurtleberry House (The Reboot Files, #1)

The Mystery of Hurtleberry House (The Reboot Files #1)

An alternate cover edition can be found here and here.

Most people would be excited to be hosting their own TV show. However, most people do not work for Reboot, a television station better known for employing the rejects of the “legitimate media” than the quality of its programming.
Such is the fate of Irene Waters, a once promising Christian reporter struggling to recover
Published February 3rd 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Hurtleberry House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Hurtleberry House

Shaeeza Haniff
May 21, 2011 Shaeeza Haniff rated it really liked it
The Reboot Files #1 is the first book in the Christian Paranormal genre that I have ever read. It is refreshing in its content and follows the trials of a strong, intelligent, sesquipedalian Christian heroine in her first assignment for a Christian TV show.

While reading this book I was very often reminded of the detective solving skills of that famous young detective we all love so much, Nancy Drew.

This is a whodunit with a comical twist. A real surprise. Definitely looking forward to the rest
Jill
May 15, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
This was such a fun read. The characters were fun, the writing smooth and easy and the mystery was well kept until the end. Not to reveal anything but the butler didn't do it! :) Read this book!
Ashley Dawn
Jul 11, 2011 Ashley Dawn rated it it was amazing
I completely enjoyed this book. Irene has had some trouble in her past career. She was a Christian reporter that no one believed and now is working for a 'paranormal' show on Reboot, trying to prove/disprove ghost. Her current assignment is Hurtleberry House. Partner and cameraman Troy is one of the first to actually ask her what happened instead of assuming the worst and is quickly gaining her respect. The old house is odd but doesn't quite ring true as a haunted house....that is until they lea ...more
Sharon
Jul 10, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, about two reporters for a "rag" that features stories on haunting sand "alien" abductions was surprisingly good. We get some interesting characters, a ghost story and a mystery. I could have done without the emphasizes on Christians (meaning only born again Christians) saving others, but it wasn't too over the top and the people did use their religious beliefs to help and care for others. I definitely recommend this book.
Carree Lee
Dec 14, 2011 Carree Lee rated it it was ok
The book kept my interest. In my view the book was reminiscent of A Scooby Doo Mystery sans Shaggy, and Scooby. I think the book and series could be successful if the author would promote the book to the appropriate market.
The main character reminded of a combination of Thelma and Daphne. I think the author may have tried too hard to make this a christian mystery book, with some of the references and thoughts the character had about God and the Bible.
D.M. Dutcher
Mar 31, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, christian
Well, I liked the idea of it, but the book is much more christian than mystery. Irene is a disgraced reporter from a big news station who is forced to take a job with the tiny Reboot network, being the lead in a "Ghost Hunter" type show. Her first job is checking for ghosts in a rather ugly house owned by twin sisters. Is it really haunted?

The mystery part is rather small, perfunctory, and boring. This isn't a long book by any means, which makes it puzzling why she spends so much time on the int
Susan Barton
Irene Waters is trying to recover after being fired from her former job. She’s devastated after being wrongly accused of engaging in an inappropriate relationship with a top executive, and has now moved on to a newer and much less glamorous position as the host of a low-budget ghost adventure show. As a devout Christian, Irene’s position is to function as the show’s resident skeptic. Irene and cameraman, Troy, are dispatched to their first paranormal investigation. Will Irene become a paranormal ...more
Susan
Oct 18, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
First of all a disclaimer: I am the sister of this author. Now, having said that, let me say this: I enjoyed this book very much. It is very much as the author herself proclaims, "A Scooby-Doo, type mystery." Nefarious elements hide behind the supposedly supernatural to inflict harm on an innocent they wish to swindle. And they would have "got away with it too, if it wasn't for those kids." But in this case the "kids" are a hurting Christian newsperson and her skeptical cameraman. The book is a ...more
Cana Elene (http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com)
So if Nancy Drew was a Christian who grew up to be a news reporter for an obscure network as a debunker of ghosts -- This would be her story.

Irene Waters is a news reporter who is trying to heal after what her last network did to her. Troy Stenson has a bad habit of putting himself into dangerous situations. Together they are teamed up to debunk the story of the ghost of Hurtleberry House.

I love how you think you know who is the villain, but until the last 20 or so pages, you don't know exactl
Sid Frost
Jan 06, 2012 Sid Frost rated it it was amazing
The Mystery of Hurtleberry House by C.L. Ragsdale was a fun read. It is short, but just the right length for the story. I feel it is great having eBooks so that more books can be published that don't meet the length requirements of print publishing.

TV cameraman, Troy Stenson is teamed up with reporter Irene Waters to investigate what is going on at Hurtleberry House. The people they meet and what they discover takes the reader on an exciting ride.

This is advertised to be Christian fiction and I
Sheila Myers
Sep 08, 2014 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A wonderful read for Christians who enjoy a good mystery. Once I read up to the third chapter, I had a feeling I knew where the plot would lead; however, that's to be expected in a "cozy". And, as with any "cozy" mystery, reader's won't find any graphic violence or foul language, which would make this book an acceptable read for both adults and teens. CL Ragsdale combined an intriguing plot with realistic characters to create a work of Christian fiction worthy of recognition within the circle of ...more
M.D. Meyer
Mar 20, 2014 M.D. Meyer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A short fun simple mystery with humorous characters. It's classified as a Christian cozy mystery which is accurate. This was my first read in this genre. Personally, I could have done without the overt Christian dialogue as it seemed somewhat simplistic and not integral to the plot. It however was not pervasive. At 87 pages it was quick to read and entertaining.
Lori Henrich
Jun 24, 2014 Lori Henrich rated it liked it
Irene Waters just started a new job at Reboot, a station that deals with paranormal activity. When she arrives with Troy at Hurtleberry House she senses that something is off. Not sure what that something is puts Irene on high alert.

I liked this story one aspect of it was slightly off for me, but I liked it anyway. Hoping that the next one is available through our library system.
Lisa Hicks
Mar 17, 2014 Lisa Hicks rated it really liked it
Christian Mystery

Christian Mystery

It's refreshing to read a mystery that doesn't have to use bad language or unsuitable scenes in order to keep the reader's attention. The characters worked well together and although it was easy to figure out who the bad guys were, the storyline was still good.
Walter Price
Jul 13, 2015 Walter Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christian mystery that is truly Christian. No sex, profanity, or violence. What it does have is a very good story with a Christian focus that is front and center rather than a few snippets. I highly recommend this book.
Jodi Woody
This was a great Christian mystery. Not preachy, good clean fun. I will be reading the rest of the series. Reminds me of the mysteries I read as a kid. Easy reading, good writing, and just plain fun. I give it 4 stars, I really liked it. Good for teens and up.
Mishael
This was a quick, fun read. Nothing spectacular. There really could have been so much more to this book.
Vykki
May 19, 2014 Vykki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely Christian cozy mystery I find the story refreshing. I recommend this book to all cozy mystery reader.
Kimette
Kimette rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
HOWELL C COHEN
HOWELL C COHEN rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Marie Mallory
Marie Mallory rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Angela Caswell
Angela Caswell rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Jimmy Sikes
Jimmy Sikes rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2014
Curious
Feb 02, 2014 Curious rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two star
Cynthia Maddox
Cynthia Maddox rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Betty Carter
Betty Carter rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2017
Barbra Bowden
Barbra Bowden rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Lost Garden (An Evan Knight Adventure #1)
  • Antediluvian
  • A Cup of Cozy
  • Island of Tory (Island of Tory, #1)
  • The First Temptation: Tempter
  • The Mystic Travelogues
  • Misfortune Cookies (When the Fat Ladies Sing #1)
  • Fudge-Laced Felonies (Summer Meadows Mystery #1)
  • Another Stab at Life (The Volstead Manor #1)
  • Night of the Living Dead Christian: One Man's Ferociously Funny Quest to Discover What It Means to Be Truly Transformed
  • The Peacock Angel: Rise of the Decarchs
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • The Christmas Key: A Christmas Advent-ure
  • An Unholy Communion (Monastery Murders, #3)
  • The Third Heaven: The Rise of Fallen Stars
  • The Death of Amelia Marsh (A Sally Nimitz Mystery, #1)
  • Death in the Beginning
  • Three of a Kind: Tales of Luck, Chance & Misfortune
Mystery writer C.L. Ragsdale is the author of The Reboot Files a Christian Cozy Mystery Series, and a superhero story called Chasing Lady Midnight. A California native, she loves to "surf" the web to research plot details for her fun, quirky stories. She has a degree in Theatre Arts which greatly influenced her writing style. Working in various fields as a secretary has allowed her to both master ...more
More about C.L. Ragsdale...

The Reboot Files (6 books)
  • The Island of Living Trees (The Reboot Files #2)
  • The Harbinger of Retribution (The Reboot Files #3)
  • The Wrong Ghost (The Reboot Files #4)
  • The Great Scarecrow Invasion (The Reboot Files #5)
  • The Woolly Weegie (The Reboot Files #6)