Start by marking “Why, O God?: Suffering and Disability in the Bible and the Church” as Want to Read:
Why, O God?: Suffering and Disability in the Bible and the Church

Why, O God?: Suffering and Disability in the Bible and the Church

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  3 reviews
With two in seven American families affected by disability, the body of Christ has a great opportunity. As we're called to minister to those walking through deep suffering, we need to learn to do so with wisdom and sensitivity.

Joni Eareckson Tada and others with disabilities, as well as seminary professors, ministry leaders, and medical professionals, do more than offer a
Published July 7th 2011 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Why, O God?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why, O God?

Randy Alcorn
Foreword by Randy Alcorn

I have never said yes to endorsing a book, much less to writing its foreword, unless I believed in it. I anticipated Why, O God? would be good, but I am pleased to find it exceptional.

Let me offer some context. Because I’ve written books about Heaven, over the years I’ve received hundreds of letters from people whose loved ones have died, after extended periods of suffering. While researching my recent book If God is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil, I read
Lillie
This book includes a number of articles by several different authors and covers a broad spectrum relating to suffering and disability: the Biblical foundation for suffering, the why of suffering, disability ministry in the church, death and dying, the grief process, and more. Since one in five people has some kind of disability, ministering to those with disabilities should be a high priority of the church.

I have had some personal experience with how some churches treat those with disabilities.
Nate Claiborne
Overall, this is a resource that belongs on every pastor's shelf, but is written in such a way that anyone dealing with disabilities or perpetually asking "Why God?" will find comfort through the sound biblical teaching. Because such a wide range of topics are covered, most people won't necessarily want to read it cover from cover. Everyone will definitely benefit from reading and absorbing the biblical theology of suffering that spans the entire second section of the book. In addition, those wh ...more
Grace Coleman
Grace Coleman marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Diane Macgregor
Diane Macgregor marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Marjorie Ellsworth
Marjorie Ellsworth marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Payne
Payne marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Sarah added it
Mar 30, 2014
Donna Williams
Donna Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Rozario
Rozario marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Emily Kira
Emily Kira marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Krystan
Krystan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Lorie
Lorie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Allie Hornberger
Allie Hornberger marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Jacquie
Jacquie is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2013
The Contribution Of The Speeches Of Elihu To The Argument About Suffering In The Book Of Job: A Study In Narrative Continuity