Start by marking “Why, O God?: Suffering and Disability in the Bible and the Church” as Want to Read:
Why, O God?: Suffering and Disability in the Bible and the Church

Why, O God?: Suffering and Disability in the Bible and the Church

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
With two in seven American families affected by disability, the body of Christ has a great opportunity. As we're called to minister to those walking through deep suffering, we need to learn to do so with wisdom and sensitivity.

Joni Eareckson Tada and others with disabilities, as well as seminary professors, ministry leaders, and medical professionals, do more than offer a
Published July 7th 2011 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Why, O God?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why, O God?

Randy Alcorn
Foreword by Randy Alcorn

I have never said yes to endorsing a book, much less to writing its foreword, unless I believed in it. I anticipated Why, O God? would be good, but I am pleased to find it exceptional.

Let me offer some context. Because I’ve written books about Heaven, over the years I’ve received hundreds of letters from people whose loved ones have died, after extended periods of suffering. While researching my recent book If God is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil, I read
Lillie
Apr 22, 2012 Lillie rated it it was amazing
This book includes a number of articles by several different authors and covers a broad spectrum relating to suffering and disability: the Biblical foundation for suffering, the why of suffering, disability ministry in the church, death and dying, the grief process, and more. Since one in five people has some kind of disability, ministering to those with disabilities should be a high priority of the church.

I have had some personal experience with how some churches treat those with disabilities.
Nate Claiborne
Overall, this is a resource that belongs on every pastor's shelf, but is written in such a way that anyone dealing with disabilities or perpetually asking "Why God?" will find comfort through the sound biblical teaching. Because such a wide range of topics are covered, most people won't necessarily want to read it cover from cover. Everyone will definitely benefit from reading and absorbing the biblical theology of suffering that spans the entire second section of the book. In addition, those wh ...more
Robert Harold
Robert Harold rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Nancy Bates
Nancy Bates marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Zak Schmoll
Zak Schmoll rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Eugene
Eugene marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Kaylene
Kaylene marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Bjørn
Bjørn marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Kari Zamora
Kari Zamora marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 24, 2016
Allan Gates
Allan Gates rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Varghese V
Varghese V marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Jennifer Droy
Jennifer Droy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
James Peil
James Peil marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Lrgallagher
Lrgallagher rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Robert Scarbro
Robert Scarbro marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Floyd
Floyd is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2015
Chrysostom
Chrysostom marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Dave Sangiah
Dave Sangiah marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Grace Coleman
Grace Coleman marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Joshua Turnage
Joshua Turnage rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2014