Start by marking “The French and Indian War” as Want to Read:
The French and Indian War

The French and Indian War

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  278 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
In the summer of 1754, deep in the wilderness of western Pennsylvania, a very young George Washington suffered his first military defeat, and a centuries-old feud between Great Britain and France was rekindled. The war that followed would be fought across virgin territories, from Nova Scotia to the forks of the Ohio River, and it would ultimately decide the fate of the ent ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The French and Indian War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French and Indian War

Robert
Narrative history at its most entertaining - also at its lightest. Borneman has a great gift for narrative, for telling a story. He holds the reader's interest - the pages fly by - and he tells us much about the French and Indian War. He places this conflict in its world-wide context, not limiting it to the familiar events in North America, but detailing often neglected battles, ones in far off quarters of the world, such as the British capture of Manila. He even includes, as a bonus follow up, ...more
Robert Jones
This book is competently written - not terrible, not excellent, but somewhere in between. Borneman describes all the important people and settings of the French and Indian War, but doesn't provide enough of a narrative to make any of the information interesting. It's well-researched and accurate in the details that it does provide... but pretty disingenuous in the details it leaves out - especially when it comes to George Washington and the Native Americans. This is the best book I've ever read ...more
Ryan
Jan 04, 2016 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book expansively covers the lengthy French and Indian War (or the Seven Years' War, as referred to in Europe) with remarkable attention to detail while developing important historical story lines and unfurling a gamut of crucial and oftentimes, colorful characters.

While Mr. Borneman lays the groundwork to begin this massive undertaking to explain how competing global empires had a hand in "deciding the fate of North America," the narrative by the middle of the book, at times, sputters and st
Jeremy
This is the third of Walter Borneman's books that I've read (the other two being Polk and 1812). While his style is readable narrative history and is certainly loaded with facts and research, his style of writing seems hit-or-miss to me. In certain moments, Borneman's language lapses into colloquialism, such as his statement of, "War with Spain? Bring it on!" These lapses have a jarring effect on me as a reader and often require several pages of further reading to put them out of my mind. The be ...more
Brian
Walter Borneman provides a accurate and succinct summary of the French and Indian War (Seven Years War) and its effect on the American colonies. The book tracks the campaigns and political tidings in North America during the war and shows the overwhelming force that England brought to bear against the French colonies in Canada. The book primarily covers the American parts of the war but does digress to cover the Caribbean, Manila and India as it relates to the global political strategy of Willia ...more
John Tepper Marlin
The past two weeks in Florida I found a book to read I recommend highly to anyone interested in the origins of the British Empire and the United States of America.

Walter Borneman's 2006 book, published by HarperCollins, shows above all how the British managed to drive the French out of North America - and along with them, eventually, the Spanish and the Native Americans whom they called Indians.

So long as the French were a threat, the American colonies were dependent on the British military to d
Jerome
Sep 20, 2013 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most Americans, I knew little about the French & Indian war and viewed it solely as a sort of hazy backdrop to the American Revolution. I had read Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766, which lacks a military history-style focus but was still quite good. I also enjoyed Borneman’s book on the War of 1812, so I figured I would enjoy this book as well.

Borneman writes with a light but engaging style (although he is a fan of the excl
Mick
In his other book about early American conflict, 1812: The War That Forged a Nation, Borneman managed to present a concise history of the war of 1812 in a highly readable manner, helped by a conversational tone and a gift for making complicated matters of strategy seem complex. In "The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America", he does so again, examining the North American theater of the Seven Year War, seen by some as the world's first truly global conflict.

Borneman's narrati
Ezra
In high school and college the French and Indian War was this long amorphous event in between settling the colonies and the American Revolution. It took a movie, The Patriot, to give some color to the story in colonists fought in that war, found it brutal, and took tactics learned there into the fight against the British. In His Excellency: George Washington this was confirmed as many of Washington's officers earned their British commissions by fighting in this war.

The American Revolution owes m
James (JD) Dittes
I'm getting ready for a NYC-Montreal road trip in '10, and I bought this book as a guide. It's an interesting insight into the war that really set in motion America's road to independence.

Borneman is at his best describing the machinations of William Pitt, the only European of his day to understand the price of Empire and the tactics of global war. France, its foreign policy dominated by the lover of Louis XV, puts minimal effort into securing Canada and seems unconcerned once it is lost.

Three o
Larry
Nov 18, 2009 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-american
In my attempts to become an amateur historian, I have decided that it's best to pick an area to become an expert on. The numbers of people who specialize in the Civil War or the War for Independence are legion. Even though I love the Revolutionary period, there seems to be a paucity of books and experts on the French and Indian War, the North American branch of the Seven Years War.

This book was my first serious look at the period and I found it a good choice. It reads easily, is well documented,
Jackie Wittschen
As a native of New York state, where much of the French and Indian War took place, I was extremely deficient in my knowledge of this war which was a prelude to the American Revolution. This book filled in the gaps in my information deficit in fairly interesting way, but the detailed descriptions of each battle were a little dry to me. Perhaps a real fan of military history would find them more appealing. However, I did enjoy the author's characterizations of the key players in the conflict and h ...more
Greg
Aug 11, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good, quick read on this world-changing war. Mr. Borneman goes into the details and motivations behind the two major powers fighting the war and the blunders they both made in executing the war. Amazing, really, that the British performance in the war mirrors U.S. performance in many wars - incompetence, stalemate, a search for competent leadership, hard-fought actions with new tactics, then enough strategic victories over an exhausted opponent to force a win. Even showed the roots of the ...more
Sean Mccarrey
Jun 25, 2012 Sean Mccarrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially had a few problems with this book. I had read Walter Borneman's War of 1812, and I remember having a hard time keeping track of all of the various figures he introduced, in part due to his incessant naming of things rather than telling. Also, I was really weirded out by the fact that he skipped over the battle at Fort Necessity, which he then refers to quite a bit in the book.
But, I really did enjoy reading this, his depiction of the American frontier brings out a side of American H
Rena Jane
Feb 27, 2009 Rena Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, I thought, Oh great, another French and Indian War history, but it's giving me new insight into the French stance on the war. Borneman is fleshing out the French interests in colonial America, and their efforts to colonize and make a strong stand here, while maintaining their war with England in Europe at the same time.

There are lagging parts, but overall, I'm learning a lot of French perspective. It also explains the uprising that is always defined as Pontiac's War, a
Tom
Oct 27, 2010 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. Walter Borneman, makes the history of this period come alive. This book tells the story of the prelude to the American Revolution, the period from 1754 to 1763. In the end after driving out the French from the Ohio valley and Canada, and the battles in the Caribbean, India and the Philippines, Great Britain needed to pay for its global expansion during the Seven Years War, so they enact the Stamp Tax and Townsend Act upon the American Colonists sowing the seeds of the ...more
Abigail Hartman
Feb 17, 2012 Abigail Hartman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
It took me a few chapters to get "in" to this book, primarily because of the sparsity of quotes, which for me take the place of dialogue in nonfiction. One endorsement calls this book a "narrative history"; I don't know whether that is a technical genre or not, but "The French and Indian War" does depend on narrative rather than quotations. However, once I got used to it, I enjoyed the book and was glad to get a broad-brush view of the prelude to the American Revolution.
Joe
Jul 17, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good popular account of the the French and Indian War (and the broader Seven Year War). Borneman also does a nice job linking the end of the French and Indian War to the seeds and the early events of the American Revolution.

I particularly enjoy his informal and easily readable writing style. He highlight the relatively minor roles played by the major figures of the revolution.

I would highly recommend this book.
Sean Vangordon
Sep 29, 2013 Sean Vangordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid historical read. In my opinion, the French and Indian War gets very little attention in the discussion of American History. Borneman does a very good job of putting into in context. He describes it as one of the first truly World Wars. At the end of the book, you feel like the War is put into a narrative that leads to the American Revolution, French Revolution, and the Napoleonic Wars.
Scottsweep
Aug 10, 2010 Scottsweep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful and detailed telling of the French and Indian War. The details about the battles and more importantly the political climate of the times made this an enjoyable read. It could get mildly text book-ish at times, but overall is a great read for anyone looking to dig in to U.S. history and the events that led to The American Revolution.
Andrew
Borneman is a competant, though not stellar writer. This was not a captivating read, but plenty informative on the subject. Easy to read. He inserts his own conjecture a bit too often for my taste. I am glad to have read the book however, as it did provide me a basic working knowledge of the War, whereas before I had none at all.
Beth
May 21, 2010 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like my non fiction a bit more readable. while the information was great, something in the layout and storytelling (all good history is storytelling) was a bit heavy going on this particular book. Loved the detail, would just like to see it reworked a bit.
Daryl Nichols
Jun 21, 2012 Daryl Nichols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written, easy to read history of this important and often overlooked conflict. I enjoyed that it had plenty of maps and photos of artwork from the period.

If you have any interest in this period, I recommend this book.
Glen Pekin
Aug 03, 2014 Glen Pekin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Borneman doesn't write deep thick books. If you want to spend a couple evenings with a good read on a topic in US history though you can't go wrong. Enough maps and illustrations to help the text. Basic history.
Dave
Nov 10, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an enlightening book! I had no idea that this was but one theater of the real first world war. Nor did I know that my native Ohio was once part of the British colony of Quebec!!
Beakerkin
Feb 24, 2011 Beakerkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that is both informative and fun. Small interesting chapters make this book a pleasurable reading experience.
Chadwick Swenson
Dec 13, 2009 Chadwick Swenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great review of the conflict with ample background information the American reader may not have been familiar with.
Steve
Aug 23, 2010 Steve marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Came upon this book while browsing in The Commons Borders with Christopher on Saturday, 21 August 2010.
Trevor
Nov 25, 2008 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love being able to read about history which took place in places I am familiar with.
Brad
Apr 11, 2008 Brad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting subject, poorly written. I'm sure that there are better books on the topic.
  • War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier
  • Bloody Mohawk: The French and Indian War & American Revolution on New York's Frontier
  • Empires at War: The French and Indian War and the Struggle for North America, 1754-1763
  • General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse
  • The War That Made America: A Short History of the French and Indian War
  • The Year of Decision 1846
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Scratch of a Pen: 1763 and the Transformation of North America (Pivotal Moments in American History)
  • Ethan Allen: His Life and Times
  • The Confederate War: How Popular Will, Nationalism, and Military Strategy Could Not Stave Off Defeat
  • American Massacre: The Tragedy at Mountain Meadows, September 1857
  • Fur, Fortune, and Empire: The Epic History of the Fur Trade in America
  • Affairs of Honor: National Politics in the New Republic
  • White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America
  • The First Frontier: The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America
  • The Invasion of Canada: 1812-1813
  • No End Save Victory: Perspectives on World War II
  • Americans at War
Walter R. Borneman, b.1952, an American historian and lawyer, is the author of well-known popular books on 18th and 19th century United States history. He received his B.A. in 1974 from Western State College of Colorado, and received an M.A. in history there in 1975 for a thesis on "Irwin : silver camp of the Ruby Mountains"; in 1981 he received a law degree from the University of Denver, and prac ...more
More about Walter R. Borneman...