Start by marking “Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found” as Want to Read:
Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found

Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  525 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Ken Foster knows that a dog can change a person's life. And that several dogs can change even more. For The Dogs Who Found Me, the author appeared in major media interviews such as NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross, and received hundreds of letters and stories about other karmic canine rescues. Many of these heartwarming stories are now compiled in this all-new follow-up to ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dogs I Have Met, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs I Have Met

Kerry
Dec 22, 2007 Kerry rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
I was thrilled for this book to come out because I really enjoyed Ken Foster's previous dog book. Unfortunately, this one came up short. I felt like a good deal of the book repeated information and ideas from the previous one. I still liked it, but I was glad I checked it out of the library instead of buying it.

Not to be too negative. I still love the way this author characterizes dogs and their companions. Maybe he's the dogwhisperer of modern literature.
Mary
Nov 01, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and was pleased to read something by someone who unabashedly champions bully breeds. There were more than a few times I paused to reread certain observations and descriptions.
Cayr
Sep 16, 2008 Cayr rated it really liked it

I found this a more enjoyable book than its prequel, The Dogs Who Found Me, (but then, I listened to the audio book for that title, and that colored my opinion of it) because this book is a total dog fix for a dogoholic like me. Included in this title are stories of dog acquaintances, dog friends, dog relatives, rescues, strays, and neighbors. Foster writes a lot about post-Katrina life in New Orleans in this book and the animals caught in the middle. Like many dog lovers, Ken knows the dogs bef
Linda
Aug 09, 2015 Linda rated it did not like it
t first I thought this was written by a non-English speaker, then by a woman (sorry to sterotype hysterically screaming people!)then I imagined it was self-published. Where was the editor??!! It meanders all over the place and there is no cohesion. Author was in South America, bonded with a dog, and left it there because the airline refused to transport it. There were no other avenues? Author couldn't Google until 6 years later, then didn't ask questions of anyone. He actually says he wanted to ...more
Margie
Jul 28, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it
Quick read. Very uplifting. Certainly enforced my belief in how the disposition of dogs (especially those wrongfully stereo-typed as "dangerous" or "Vicious") is based on how the dog is raised, and who is in control. This is the second of Ken Foster's books. I have not read his first Dogs I have met/Dogs who found me, but would definitely recommend for animal lovers.
Mary Mullane
Oct 04, 2014 Mary Mullane rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for books about animals. The dogs you meet in this book are real characters. God bless the people who help them.

I miss all my dogs (6 waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) and have thought of fostering, but I know I'd fall in love and would never be able to let them go. I am planning on volunteering when I retire.
LINCCReviews
Jun 26, 2015 LINCCReviews rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Ken Foster is a unique individual and writes about his times with different dogs that he has saved. This book is very heartwarming and if you are a dog lover, you will absolutely love this book. (LouLouBug)
Ashley
Feb 21, 2009 Ashley rated it liked it
I guess I enjoyed this book a bit more than the first...some of the stories were more captivating. However, the writing was just as poor as the first. Sometimes I was thinking...come on, you know you can do better than that! Once again the author breached a few very interesting subjects, like the vegetarian isssue, and what to feed your dogs if you don't want other animals to suffer...but he never expanded on these issues! He piqued my interest by opening up these subjects, but then just left th ...more
Abby
Mar 22, 2014 Abby rated it it was ok
Nice stories about dog people, but pretty boring and not cohesive overall. I still liked reading it, though, because I am endlessly interested in hearing people talk about their dogs.
Yoon
GREAT!!
VegasGal
May 24, 2014 VegasGal rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2014
Not really sure why, but I couldn't get into this book like I did with the author's first one. Stories weren't all that interesting (particularly mentioning writing his first book and going on book signings) and the letters included from fans just got a bit repetitive after the first few.

(please note that my dislike of this book doesn't mean that I no longer admire the author and his work with rescuing dogs.)
Eryka
Oct 02, 2008 Eryka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Touching, funny, entertaining...all-around wonderful book. I picked it up for light-reading at 8 in the morning and ended up finishing it the same afternoon. That's not to suggest it was a silly book. It was such a touching, well-written book that any dog lover must read it at least once. I'd read it again and again if it didn't belong to the library :)
Tasha
Aug 10, 2013 Tasha rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogs
Cute stories but lacked substance and at times the comments felt rather random. I appreciate the author's love of dogs and his actions to help dogs so can appreciate his efforts but this book just didn't offer much of what I was hoping it would. I loved the cover photo though, I have the edition with the gorgeous Brando not the adorable puppy.
Angel Kerner
I found the book enjoyed but if you aren't a dog lover you might not like it as much. I didn't like the fact that it only focused on pit bull rescue when lots of dogs need good homes. I know pit bulls get a bad rap and the author was trying to say that they are loving dogs. They still scare me.
Paige
Apr 18, 2010 Paige rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs
I was a little dissapointed with this book as I felt it was really random. There were multiple times I had to re-read a section thinking I had missed something but no, the Author was jumping around quite a bit and stating things that seemed completely out of place. Overall, the stories were good.
Jeannie
Aug 15, 2010 Jeannie rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
I think this one fails in comparison to his previous book. It just felt like he was writing to put out another book for me. I admire and respect the man, just not sure I'll pay out for another one of his books.
Denise
Mar 14, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
I wish I had known about the first book before I started this one. My heart bleeds for the left dogs. My best furry friend died a year ago & there is nothing like the love of a dog to make your life whole.
Betty
Jan 11, 2010 Betty rated it it was amazing
Very good read ..... stories from the author, as well as other people, on the dogs they rescued and their relationships, and good information on various rescue / pet related websites at the back of the book.
Lori
Jul 11, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: doggies
For dog lovers. I will read the first book by this author now that I've read this one. I just bumped into it at a used book store. Tells stories about dogs found after Hurricane Katrina and more.
Cheryl Schibley
May 28, 2010 Cheryl Schibley rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
This author is clearly a humane person who loves and cares for many dogs, helps them find homes, heals them and was very involved in dog rescue after Katrina. Good guy. Pretty good read.
Dottie
Oct 24, 2011 Dottie rated it really liked it
A real look at the after effects of Hurricane Katrina, New orleans, and the dogs left behind. An insightful and delightful introduction to the many personalities in need of homes.
Lisa
Sep 29, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Sweet and anecdotal, just what I expected and wanted. Bless Ken Foster and everyone who fosters strays... and yes, my dog's stomach does smell like corn chips!
Christine Vitali
Aug 20, 2009 Christine Vitali rated it liked it
I didn't like this book quite as well as the first one ("The Dogs Who Found Me"), but I enjoyed it. This one felt a bit more disjointed to me.
Mindy
Oct 21, 2009 Mindy rated it liked it
Ah, another good book from my Auntie. This read is a great one if you know human beings as, "Casper's Mom" or "Rascal's Dad".
Melissa Kayden
Nov 15, 2011 Melissa Kayden rated it liked it
Good book, I enjoyed all the stories about where people have accumulated rescue dogs, as we have. I could really relate!
Ladiibbug
Oct 13, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers
Non-fiction

Very nice for any dogaholic. Ken Foster's previous book, The Dogs Who Found Me, is *wonderful*.
Siobhan
Another wonderful memoir from Foster - makes me want to run to the shelter and adopt all the dogs.
LA
Dec 12, 2011 LA rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon
This was a good followup to his last book, a fun, quick read. Sweet without being cloying.
Jennifer Braxton
Dec 30, 2009 Jennifer Braxton rated it really liked it
Once again, lovely dog stories, particular writing style by Foster. Still, a very good book!
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • The Man Who Talks to Dogs: The Story of Randy Grim and His Fight to Save America's Abandoned Dogs
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
Ken Foster is the author of a memoir, The Dogs Who Found Me, which was a national bestseller. His collection of short stories, The Kind I'm Likely to Get, was a New York Times Notable Book. He is also the author of Dogs I Have Met, a collection of essays, and the editor of two anthologies, The KGB Bar Reader and Dog Culture. His work has been translated into German, Turkish and Arabic, and has app ...more
More about Ken Foster...