Start by marking “Red Leaves” as Want to Read:
Red Leaves

Red Leaves

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  3,534 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
The body of a beautiful student is found nude and frozen, concealed within a snowbank for days on a New England college campus. Why hadn't anyone reported her missing?
Detective Spencer O'Malley had met the girl, Kristina, only a day prior to her death. Nearly falling in love with her on this chance meeting, he learns more about her life through his investigation of her my
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published August 1st 1997 by Paperback Nova Audio Books (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Red Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Leaves

karen

some books should remain out of print,left to molder and rot without curious readers tracking them down and disturbing the wisdom of nature. even ones that have saucy insets like this:

photo DSC03690_zpsf214b487.jpg

scandalous!

if you had told me that this book was written by an alien from the planet glorp with no familiarity with human behavior, i would have no trouble believing it.

if you told me this was a nanowrimo book, written in one month, without proofreading or author-sleep, i would understand.

if this were the work of
Marjorie
Sep 17, 2016 Marjorie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
I really had a difficult time getting through this book. The reason I chose it was that it was compared to Donna Tartt’s “The Secret History”. There is no comparison other than the fact that the book involves a group of college friends. There were several times when I wished I could just DNR this book but since I received a free copy from the publisher, I felt obligated to read the whole book in order to review it. Apparently, this book was published by St. Martin’s in 1996 but has been out of p ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
I couldn't get past the 50% mark with the unlikable characters, choppy narrative, and slow moving storyline. If you are expecting something similar in writing or appeal as her later series-The Bronze Horseman-you'll be disappointed.
Marleen
Nov 29, 2008 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would not have finished this book if it wasn't for Spencer's character. He's the reason I kept on reading. The Dartmouth students were probably too young for me to appreciate.
Sashi
Jan 17, 2012 Sashi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. The elegant style it was written in with minimal words made it thoroughly enjoyable. Loved the story and the suspense. To me it was a perfect story.
Karen
Jun 27, 2008 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have never been so pissed off by the ending of a book!
Lindsay Heller
I don't know what to say about this book. I even had a hard time deciding how many star to grant it. It wasn't good, not really at all. There were parts that were cringe-worthy. But, it had its moments and it was sort of a page turner.

'Red Leaves' is the story of two people at heart; Kristina Kim and Spencer O'Malley. Kristina is on the verge of twenty-one, she's a philosophy major at Dartmouth and shows plenty of promise for the future. Except, she's kind of a completely idiot (more later). Sh
Natalie
Aug 27, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE who enjoys a good mystery
Shelves: 3-stars
LemonLinda
Jul 05, 2010 LemonLinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read another Paullina Simon book and loved it - The Bronze Horseman. This book, however, was not at all similar to that book. It is a murder mystery set on the campus of Dartmouth College over the Thanksgiving holidays in the early 1980s. It started out quite slowly for me. In fact I was somewhat bored and thought it would have to improve to get 3 stars from me.

Well, improve it certainly did. In no way is this murder mystery predictable as so many are. Immediately you know who
Hairy Member
Aug 17, 2009 Hairy Member rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Load of incestious shit! The backwards/forwards dialogue especially at the beginning would be good enough to drive people to violence against the author. Worth recycling for toilet paper.
Anastasia
Nov 10, 2016 Anastasia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Δεν κατάφερα να φτάσω στο τέλος όσο και αν προσπάθησα... Γεμάτο κλισέ και στερεοτυπικές αντιλήψεις, κουράζει πολύ και υποτιμά τον αναγνώστη.
Crazyforromance
Ho esordito dicendo che nulla è come sembra, e davvero niente lo è.
Già dalle prime pagine si percepisce che qualcosa non va: Kristina è troppo concentrata, troppo attenta, troppo calcolata per essere la ragazza semplice che vuol far credere. Conni è un'amica troppo poco attenta e troppo poco presente per essere una vera migliore amica, Albert è al contrario troppo attento e troppo presente con Kristina per essere il ragazzo di Conni. Jim dal canto suo è invece troppo assente per essere il ragazz
Cora
Feb 15, 2017 Cora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Purtroppo nemmeno questo libro della Simons mi è piaciuto. Le sarò per sempre grata per aver creato la storia de Il cavaliere d'inverno e due personaggi fantastici come Tatiana e Alexander ma credo che rinuncerò a leggere altro di suo.

Le prime 160 pagine sono brutte, ma proprio BRUTTE, tanto che ero quasi tentata a mollare la lettura e sbarazzarmi del libro; non sopportavo i protagonisti, i loro comportamenti e modi di fare. Secondo me, questa prima parte è anche scritta male perchè ci sono scen
Blair
In news that will surprise no-one, I bought this because I read several reviews likening it to The Secret History. Yet again I've fallen victim to lazy comparisons: the books are alike only in that they both deal with the murder of a student at an Ivy League university (and there's the - admittedly very similar - detail that the body isn't discovered until a heavy snowfall has thawed). The writing couldn't be more different. This, along with Little Face, is one of the most odd and baffling books ...more
Nicki
Feb 22, 2014 Nicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I have read in a long time. The first half of the book is the 'background' of the four intertwined characters. It is a long drawn out section to establish this background and then you kill one of the main characters off? I felt I had just waisted 155 pages of descriptive, ground laying text - groan. I should have stopped there.

Things did get slightly better with the introduction of Spencer the detective investigating the murder. Though he was very unprofessional on
Kurt Keefner
Feb 06, 2012 Kurt Keefner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I give up. This novel makes no sense. We're supposed to believe this quartet of college students is tight-knit, yet two of them do despicable things to the other two. I hate them.

Further, to give away one detail from very close to the beginning, the future murder victim, is married to the Korean family lawyer, who promised her dying parent he'd take care of her. Take care of her by marrying her when she was, what, 16?! Credulity strains, creaks and finally, snaps.

I did like the cop a bit, but a
Heather
Wow, what a complex mind/imagination Paullina Simons has. This is the story of 4 friends Kristina, Albert, Connie and Jim and one police officer Stanley and how there lives intertwine over some seriously mixed up and messed up relationships. The murder of one of the characters (Kristina) sets in motions the exploration as to the truth behind both the murder and the relationships – truly a tangled web that is woven and not revealed until the very end.
The first half of the book prior to the murder
Rachel Zylstra
Aug 13, 2010 Rachel Zylstra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did I really love this book, or is it just because I love Paullina Simons so much that I decide I love her books before I've even read them?

No - I loved this book! What a great story! I loved it because usually with these kinds of books I find I can predict the outcome very easily, but I found myself to be wrong everytime I predicted something and the ending was so different from what I expected! But no less amazing.

You just kind of get thrown into the lives of these four college kids, wonderin
Πάνος Τουρλής
Ένα πρωτότυπο βιβλίο μυστηρίου. Υπόθεση και πλοκή πρωτότυπη. Η αλήθεια είναι ότι το πρώτο μέρος κουράζει αλλά στο δεύτερο η πλοκή ανεβαίνει και εντείνεται ως το τραγικό, απίστευτο μυστικό της πρωταγωνίστριας. Προβληματισμός και μια λύση του δράματος "πέραν του κόσμου τούτου". Δεν κοιμήθηκα ώσπου να το τελειώσω.
AK Mama Reads
Apr 14, 2017 AK Mama Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With gems like this, it's easy to see why readers love Simons so much:

"College was the great suppressor, the warm blanket that covered them all and made them safe. How could you not fall in love in college?"

As soon as I thought I had everything figured out, she pulled the rug out from under me. I love a book that keeps me guessing, thus reading, til the end or close to it! I haven't read her other work, but judging by the subject alone I'd say this is rather different from some of her previous n
Giuls
Feb 27, 2017 Giuls rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo romanzo mi ha piacevolmente stupita.
Non avevo delle aspettative altissime, dopo i commenti che avevo letto in rete. E dell’autrice ho amato i primi due libri della serie del Cavaliere d’Inverno, il terzo libro mi ha lasciato indifferente, mentre “Una valigia piena di sogni” l’ho proprio odiato.

Per quel che riguarda questo romanzo, invece, non posso che non apprezzare il ritmo incalzante, il bisogno quasi incessante di capire e scoprire cosa fosse successo. L’immensa difficoltà che si prov
Paulina
Emily
Jul 08, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a book club read. Definitely a fluff read. I don't mind a really good murder mystery fluff, so I was actually sort of looking forward to it, but I hated it. It wasn't as page-turn-y as most murder mysteries, but enough that I at least wanted to finish it. (Although, I may have stopped reading if it hadn't been for the book club.)

The character development was abysmal. The characters were just not at all believable - not because the story itself was unbelievable, but I just constantly
Teresa
Sep 23, 2010 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four friends at an Ivy League college – one is found dead, frozen in the snow, having lain there for nine days – her disappearance is somehow overlooked by her bosom buddies. Spencer O’Malley, local police detective, is assigned to the case and is soon drawn into the web of deceit and secrets which ties the four students together. Further complications arise when it turns out that Spencer knew the victim.

In this, Simons’ second novel, she creates a tight and suspenseful thriller peopled with mos
Meagan
May 16, 2008 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008-reads
Mary
Jun 21, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PS introduces us to 4 best friends tangled in strange relationships and a web of deceit and mystery. The story is compelling with a mind boggling twist that I wasn't expecting half way through, when a tragic incident enfolds with all 4 characters playing some sort of part.

This book had me guessing to the end. It wasn't predictable and I found it very enjoyable. I would explain this book as a murder/mystery novel, but it was enlighted with some likeable characters - Spencer is one of my favourite
Lara
Feb 05, 2017 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi aspettavo di più. le promesse di qualcosa di originale c'erano ma poi si è rovinato sul finale. Il colpo di scena tanto atteso non è arrivato... anzi. Purtroppo è stato un po' scontato. E l'epilogo? Ha rovinato quello che di buono c'era nei 2/3 del libro. La trama è avvincente e si legge bene. Peccato lo svivolone finale.
Tasmin
Apr 12, 2012 Tasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I thought about this novel. It was quite frightening in places and I would never have guessed the twist but I found the plot somewhat unrealistic. There were lots of passages about what close friends the four main characters were, yet they were sleeping with each other's boyfriends and murdering each other. The thing that saved the book for me was Spencer. I just love him as a character and his cynical sense of humor kept me reading.
Kelly
Nov 06, 2010 Kelly marked it as tbr-mystery-thriller  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-campus-life
50 pages in, I'm really not sure about whether to continue. The story itself is fairly good, and it's gotten good reviews, people have liked it. But gah, the writing is really cheesy and overdone. Just not sure.
------------------------
Update: I'm just going to stop on this one and maybe try it again in the future. I haven't read anything from it in the past several days. Just couldn't get past my annoyance about certain things.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Overall, this is an okay book with a good plot but it has a very slow start and you have to wait till page 150 for something to actually happen... The middle section is pretty good but the end is pretty much unrealistic. As far as the characters are concerned, I didn't find them likeable at all but that was probably intentional on the author's part.
  • The Night Climbers: A Novel
  • Angel Rock
  • Wild Lavender
  • Eleventh Hour
  • No Bones
  • Growing Up Twice
  • Perfect Skin
  • Midnight Cactus
  • Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)
  • The River
  • Four Fires
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)
  • Tatty
  • What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? (Once Were Warriors, #2)
  • Bitter Chocolate
  • White
  • Their Finest Hour and a Half
Paullina Simons was born in Leningrad, USSR, in 1963. At the age of ten her family immigrated to the United States. Growing up in Russia Paullina dreamt of someday becoming a writer. Her dream was put on hold as she learned English and overcame the shock of a new culture.

After graduating from university and after various jobs including working as a financial journalist and as a translator Paullin
More about Paullina Simons...

“Though outwardly Kristina maintained that a clean room was a symptom of a diseased mind (for how could she, while studying the world's greatest thinkers, be bothered with such mundane earthly issues as cleaning?), inwardly she hated untidyness and made a point of spending as little time in the room as possible.” 7 likes