Start by marking “The Charwoman's Shadow” as Want to Read:
The Charwoman's Shadow

Lord Dunsany

The Charwoman's Shadow

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  31 reviews
An old woman who spends her days scrubbing the floors might be an unlikely damsel in distress, but Lord Dunsany proves once again his mastery of the fantastical. The Charwoman's Shadow is a beautiful tale of a sorcerer's apprentice who discovers his master's nefarious usage of stolen shadows, and vows to save the charwoman from her slavery.
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published September 12th 1977 by Random House Publishing Group (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Charwoman's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charwoman's Shadow

Sylvester
Fantasy isn't done like this anymore. This book isn't about world-building or plot so much as beautiful writing and the sense of time. It's hard to describe - something like scuba diving, where you find yourself submerged in a completely different world, things are hushed, the sea-life accepts you as another fish, there's the feeling of weightlessness and time doesn't pass in the way you're used to...? The other thing that impressed me about TCS was how Dunsany takes something very simple and ev ...more
Nikolaos
Perhaps Lord Dunsany's most accessible work, without ever losing his inimitable style in prose. The description of the "magic" inherent in learning how to read is among the finest moments in fantasy, and never fails to instill a sense of wonder, while most other authors struggle to keep fireballs, elves and dragons from seeming mundane and boring.
Pallavi
I am willing to give Lord Dunsany the benefit of four stars, despite the rude connotation that Lord Vishnu is someone a follower of Dark Arts would pray to. Dunsany was a learned man and another book by him makes light of religion as such, so I was somewhat taken aback at this bigotry. Anyway, like I said, I'll not let that stand in my review of a book that I really enjoyed.
The story follows the travails of a young man, Ramon Alonzo who has to learn the art of making gold from a sorcerer so he c
Kate
01/2012 Dunsany is *brilliant*. I can't believe it took me so long to learn this. Also, I'm really glad that the LA library system had the book so I could read it. Beautiful language, haunting imagery, and a wonderful story. I first fell in love with Dunsany for his constant and evocative use of the word "gloaming".

03/2014 I like this book so much. I have such a hard time describing Dunsany. I just go into raptures and splutter incoherently while making expansive hand motions.
Harman11
After seeing this selection in my father's reading carel I asked him about the author in order to decide if it might be worth my time to read this title. His classic response sounded like the same standard recommendation that you'll see anytime you look up Lord Dunsany. Since I was curious about the fantasy genre, I picked it up and was carried away into one of the most enriching fantasies that I have ever read. I'm recommending this to everybody that has even a few hours to spare for this engag ...more
Alex Sarll
A beautiful, bittersweet (but isn't Dunsany usually) tale of magic, bargains that should not have been struck, and the passing of Spain's Golden Age. Also a very good book to read across one summer's afternoon, as the shadows lengthen, for you come to appreciate that optical phenomenon as you never did before.
Keke
I didn't like this one nearly as much as The King of Elfland's Daughter. The writing isn't nearly as beautiful and poetic and the story didn't feel as magical. Maybe because I found the characters shallow and unappealing and the ending predictable. Nonetheless it was still a nice fairytale worth reading.
Candice Lee
A very interesting book. I don't know if Paul Coelho read it or not, but his book "The Alchemist" seems taken from its pages. Dare I say, "The Alchemist" is a shadow of "The Charwoman's Shadow"? It is almost a Dummies' Guide to it, but enough of that.

The Charwoman's Shadow has depth and humor most will not be intelligent enough to appreciate. This book comes from a golden age of books when people crafted a work to last. It is poetic, a bit critical of its characters, amusing, and profound. At i
Jason Mills
Apr 18, 2011 Jason Mills rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy buffs, ironists, lovers of language
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Ramon Alonzo is a young man in Spain whose sister is to be married above her station. Since the family has no riches, Ramon's father sends him to a magician, there to learn the secret of making gold so that he can provide his sister's dowry. However, the magician exacts a high price for his wisdom, as his aged charwoman knows to her cost, having given up her shadow for longevity. Can Ramon save his family's honour and the charwoman's shadow, and still escape damnation?

This is a Faustian fable mi
Deirdre
Definitely an odd book -- but I am glad I read it! Absolutely gorgeous writing -- which, however, swings between the highly evocative and the deliberately absurd. The quote about dog-scientists is quite well known, I believe, but consider this one, too.

And there was a repast all ready cooked and spread, waiting for Ramon Alonzo. By what arts those meats were kept smoking upon that table ready for any stranger that should come in from the wood, ....I tell not to this age, for it is far too well a
Rhys
Lord Dunsany's fantasy stories are not as twee as people often claim. Sometimes they can be ironic and dark, though they always remain lyrical and wistful. His later work is more humorous than his early stuff. By the time he turned from writing short stories to novels in the 1920s he had honed his musical, slightly mocking, always wondrous style to something approaching perfection.

*The Charwoman's Shadow* is a novel that bears linkages to his picaresque first novel *The Chronicles of Rodrigues*,
Paul
The Charwoman’s Shadow, Lord Dunsany, Ballantine, 1973

Ramon Alonzo is a young man who has been sent to live with, and learn from, a famous wizard. He is only interested in how to turn base metals into gold. His sister is engaged to be married, and the family hopes that a small chest full of gold will suffice as a dowry.

While studying with the wizard, Ramon meets an elderly charwoman who has no shadow. The wizard took it many years ago, and refuses to give it back, keeping it in a locked box. She
Jan de Leeuw
Excellent, truly excellent fantasy book. Ramon Alonzo goes to the magician to learn to make gold for his family, and the magician accept him as a pupil because long ago Ramon Alonzo's father taught him the science and philosophy of boar hunting. But there is a price: he has to give the magician his shadow. He gets a fake shadow back, but that shadow does not grow or shrink during the day, and also in this world man leads the shadow, but in the hereafter the shadow leads the man. Ramon Alonzo tri ...more
Verity Brown
Wow! Stylistically, this is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. As a writer, I'm aware of the constant quest for better metaphors and less cliched descriptions, and Dunsany pretty much blows everyone else away here. And not just for a pretty sentence or two here and there...I'm talking paragraph after paragraph of remarkable prose. The story, too, is both deeply rooted in fairy tales and yet unconventional in execution and resolution. Nothing is quite what it seems.

Something to conside
Printable Tire
Just finished this near the end of my graveyard shift, as the dawn arises. A superior book to the King of Elfland's Daughter, if only because it contains conversations and dialogue. Dunsany can be a funny writer at times, and I enjoyed the mystery he embodied (or disembodied) within the shadow- what a good puppet show this book would make. The hero was a bit of a bonehead, and perhaps the conflicts too easilly overcome, and obviously so. Nonetheless a great work of fantasy.

Dunsany's criticism o
Althea Ann
This is one of those books that it’s a little bit embarrassing to admit that I hadn’t already read. I’ve read who knows how many tales that were influenced to some degree by Dunsany… but not a lot actually by him.

The Charwoman’s Shadow is a lovely, original fairy tale. In order to gain money for his daughter’s dowry, a father sends his son to apprentice to a magician, with the goal of discovering the method of turning lead into gold. But the magician asks high prices for his secrets. An old serv
Andrew
I've never read much Dunsany. It was worth giving this a try, but it didn't really hold my attention, I'm afraid. The language is charming -- that's the best part. The story is just a story.

It's not an *absolutely* straight-faced fairy tale. Everyone is just a little bit slyer and more conniving than that. (I guess Jack Vance's "Cugel" stories are this raised to the hundredth power?) But I bogged down halfway through, put it aside, and didn't finish it off until several weeks later.
Jerry
I think this is my favorite of the Dunsany stories I’ve read so far. It’s like a modern-fantasy adventure in fairy-clothing.
William
Briefly: Dunsany is known as one of the fathers of modern fantasy. Alright- well enough. But what was likely fresh in the late nineteenth century now read like an exercise in style over substance. That is to say, the plot doesn't ever become terribly interesting and peaks well before the end. I read the first 200 quickly and struggled through the final 40 months later. But, on a page to page basis, Dunsany is one of the finest purveyors of metaphor I've encountered. 4 stars on the merits of his ...more
Jesse
I'm only giving this book three stars, but it probably deserves 4. But I rated it compared to Dunsany's other works, and for me it is just not as good.

I DID really like the Spanish setting, the forest imagry, and the straight forward fantasy feel. It was the plot that I felt was lacking.

Definitly worth reading if you are interested in classic fantasy.
Elizabeth
Lily
1926 fantasy novel before there was a "fantasy" genre. Beautiful language set in the Golden Age of Spain. Could be a little slow for some people...but if the mythology of shadows is a fetish of yours, this will take you to sublime places.
Emily
I have to admit that I only made it through 30 pages (and that was a struggle). I simply didn't like the writing style, and the story didn't grab me enough to make up for it. I do enjoy some fantasy, but not this one.
Brent
Although well written, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone not already interested because the antiquated prose/plot/characters are significant obstacles; that said, the ending was unexpected and intriguing.
Ellen
A beautifully written work. I enjoyed what LeGuin calls "the language of fantasy," that Dunsany uses so well to create atmosphere.
Zoe
Amazing. I loved this book. Beautiful language, and a fascinating premise behind it.
Lisa
Good book. Very late 1800's - early 1900's style.
Niall Mcauley
My ancient 2nd hand copy just arrived!
  • The Well At The World's End: Volume I
  • Soldier of Arete
  • Lud-in-the-Mist
  • Islandia
  • Undine
  • The Night Watch (Resurrection Man, #2)
  • The Door to Saturn (Collected Fantasies, #2)
  • The Compleat Traveller in Black
Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany was an Anglo-Irish writer and dramatist, notable for his work in fantasy published under the name Lord Dunsany. More than eighty books of his work were published, and his oeuvre includes hundreds of short stories, as well as successful plays, novels and essays. Born to one of the oldest titles in the Irish peerage, he lived much of his life ...more
More about Lord Dunsany...
The King of Elfland's Daughter Time and the Gods The Gods of Pegana In the Land of Time: And Other Fantasy Tales The Book of Wonder

“There is indeed a great deal of futility amongst the human race which we do not commonly see, for it all forms part of our illusion; but let a man be much annoyed by something that others do, so that he is separated from them and has to leave them, and looks back at what they are doing, and he'll see at once all manner of whimsical absurdities that he had not noticed before; and Ramon Alonzo in the shade of his oak, waiting for the noon to go by, grew very contemptuous of the attitude that the world took up towards shadows.” 5 likes
“For he had acquired a lore in his youth which taught him ever to avoid the aged when merry plans were afoot; for the aged would come with their wisdom and slowness of thought, and other plans would be made, and there would be, at least, delay.” 1 likes