Start by marking “Into the Green” as Want to Read:
Into the Green

Into the Green

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,558 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The harp was a gift from Jacky Lanter's fey kin, as was the music Angharad pulled from its strings. She used it in her journeys through the kingdoms of Green Isles, to wake the magic of the Summerblood where it lay sleeping in folk who had never known they had it.

Harping, she knew, was on third of a bard's spells. Harping, and poetry, and the road that led . . .

Into the G
Published October 5th 2001 by Orb Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Green

Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de LintThe Onion Girl by Charles de LintMoonheart by Charles de LintThe Little Country by Charles de LintThe Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint
The Best of Charles de Lint
29th out of 51 books — 30 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaThe Iron Daughter by Julie KagawaThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaThe Iron Knight by Julie KagawaDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Wonderfull Faerie Books
44th out of 122 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
I’m not entirely sure what I thought of Into the Green. I read it in one go, which normally indicates a pretty good book, but I’m not overwhelmed by it, thinking back. I liked the imagery and the idea of ‘going into the green’, the set up, the world… but I tend to be most strongly drawn by characters, and none of the characters here really got me. I finished it yesterday and I actually just struggled to remember the protagonist’s name (Angharad — I’m a little doubtful about taking someone who is ...more
Raven
Amazing... I found myself wishing the book were longer or that there were a sequel because I enjoyed the world and the characters so much. (Perhaps there is a sequel? I don't know if he does them exactly although I have read some of his things which seem loosely related or based in the same mythology at least.)

I took something powerful away from this book. Probably I took away more than one but the thing that struck me as I was reading was about the relationship of iron and 'the green.' The boo
Aaron Carson
I usually don't find Charles de Lint's novels magical enough for my taste, but this one served me well. I would definitely call it a memorable favourite, and rank it among the archetypal representations of my taste. De Lint makes music a force of magic and power in such a way that is believable. So believable in fact, that I began to feel like I was being enchanted everytime I listened to music, while reading the book. There were also some surprisingly imaginative elements in the book. I particu ...more
Nanci
Another wonderful fantasy tale by Charles de Lint. As always, I love the characters and how he weaves a story together so magically well.
Dresden L.
Charles de Lint is my favourite author. However this book wasn't nearly as good as his other ones. It felt incomplete and rather like there should have been more. The beginning was great and the setting was marvelous, but then it went nowhere.
Keeley
Heard a lot about de Lint from T and found this one at the used bookstore down the street. Maybe not the best of de Lint's work- if not that impressed, but it is a quick read and I hope to be on to other of his works soon...
Jaleh
I would have liked it better if it seemed more complete. I felt like the story wasn't quite finished for as rich a setting as he had created. I would probably like it better if there was a sequel.
Andrew
Slow pacing at the beginning gives way to an otherwise well-paced and beautifully written story. This is what I think of when I hear the term "urban fantasy".
Althea Ann
An ancient artifact of evil is found by chance and enters the world. A young woman named Angharad, who is "Summerborn" i.e. a witch, learns that it is her mission to track down this artifact (a puzzle-box) and face its evil at the risk of great danger to herself, lest all magic be destroyed by its great evil. Her task is complicated by the fact that the general public in her pseudo-medieval world are severely prejudiced against witches, and sometimes lynch them - or worse.
With the help of a youn
Isabel
"Today we are all that is left of the old magic," the tale-teller went on. "Our small echo of the gift sets us apart from those around us. But in the old days, when the Blood still ran strong, there was a deeper magic still - held by those who knew the calling-on magic, born of threes. Tinker, harper and witch. Moon, music and the stoneworks of old."

"Into the Green" is not one of de Lint's Newford-set urban fantasies, but takes place in a world based in part on Celtic mythology. Angharad, a Summ
Deborah Ideiosepius
I give up!

I feel like a failure for doing so, but I cannot finish this book. I normally love De Lint, I own most of his books and re-read them. I love his mythic as well as his urban fiction but this one did not grab me.

I tried hard, I kept reading but at the end of the day life is too short to read books that you are not enjoying. I found the main character too passive and too... uninvolved in her own story. She was clearly not dumb but she did excessively dumb things, she wanted to solve a que
Larry Wentzel
I've heard good things about de Lint so I thought I would give him a try. After finishing this story, de Lint comes off as a poor-man's Guy Gavriel Kay. Interesting ideas, but thin in description. The first half of the book passes quickly in 1st person/3rd person. I thought, at this pace, we're going to cover the protagonist's entire life in 289 pages. Then, as the action builds, the single viewpoint that had preceded splits into five different views, all offering different, slightly overlapping ...more
Otis Campbell
It's a beautiful day,
The sky falls and you feel like
It's a beautiful day,
Don’t let it get away
[Name Redacted]
One of my all-time favorites, a wonderful book set in an interesting world with a fascinating female protagonist. The story feels like it could have been serialized in magazines first, and is somewhat reminiscent of the works of Howard and Leiber as a result, though the actual tone of the "adventures" and the characters themselves are much deeper. It's not as action-packed as Howard or Leiber's work either, but that's actually a plus here. It's engaging and moves at a very brisk pace. This may b ...more
Melanti
While reading it, everything seemed very familiar though I have no recollection of the book itself. So, either the book feels so familiar because it's formulaic to the point where I think I've read it before, or I have read it before and it's forgettable to the point where I can't remember any of the characters or details.

Either option is possible, I suppose, and neither option is all that flattering to the book.
Sean
Light, somewhat underwritten, has a few problems with structure and pacing. But the world introduced in Into the Green is fascinating, and Angharad's quest managed to hold my interest long enough to finish the book.

I've only ever read a couple of Charles de Lint's standalone novels (of which this is another), but I think I might try out his Newford series. Just to see if his brand of urban fantasy works for me.
Jane Routley
The story of a witch with a magic harp set to protect the wonder of the world. My first de lint book, but it won't be my last. De Lint really knows how to capture the wonder of magic and fairy tale. A young adult book with the usual underlying themes of freedom and individuality, but it still manages to seem fresh. thought it was great.
Kamisha
de Lint is one of my favorite authors because he always manages to create worlds that are believable but still magical. Into the Green was good but it seemed short to me. Not really short in pages terms but short in plot or something. I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I usually enjoy de Lint's writing. I think it lacked something.
Salimbol
Reasonably good, Celtic-lite fantasy that was a nice, quick read. As per usual, de Lint has a lovely way with words, but the overall story was somewhat patchily written and the main character was a bit thin (indeed, I would have liked to spend more time with some of the other, more interesting characters). Enjoyable but forgettable.
Cindy
de Lint is probably my favorite fantasy author though he's very different from others in this genre. I love the way he intertwines magic, the Middle Kingdom and the Otherworld into every day life in a way that makes it incredibly believable. de Lint has magic in the way he puts words together to bring his pictures to mind.
Margaret Frihart
Demonstrates why we respect our soldiers and the courage they have to have to be in the military. Again, made me mad about how disrespectful others can be to the people that give them the freedom to be ignorant of what people have done to survive in military to help other countries.
Emily Larson
Any collection that the author apologizes this profusely for... this is a collection of deLint's earlier work, and most of it is not nearly as good as what he's written since. That said, there were some really lovely stories hiding in this book.
Felix
My first classic fantasy novel in quite some time. Nice read, but lacks grittiness and reminded me why I do not read a lot of fantasy these days: too black and white, no shades of grey (and I don't mean the soft-s/m-bodice-ripper-type).
Alexa Cascade
Dec 12, 2007 Alexa Cascade rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charles DeLint fans, fantasy lovers
The very first Charles DeLint stories I read were the ones drawn together and expanded to create this book. This is more straight fantasy than the mythic/urban fantasy of his later books.
Jess
This was a beautiful little book. Reminds me of why I originally fell in love with the genre. Looking forward to checking out some of his more urban stuff in the near future.
David Gagne
I truly enjoyed reading this book. The world that Charles de Lint created was fascinating and enthralling. It is truly a pity that he did not continue writing in this style.
Jami
Currently rereading this one for my book club. Love it. But I am drawn to books with strong heroines. And I like his interpretations of the earth magics.
Judith
I did not get past the first couple of chapters. The story sounded good, just couldn't get past the author's style of writing.
Norma
This was the first Charles deLint book I read - totally fell in love with his stories of erban magic - wonderful writer!
Karla Brading
Short but sweet.deLint had plenty of opportunities to go in depth but kept it simple. It still worked though. I was content.
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • The Godmother (Godmother, #1)
  • The Wood Wife
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1)
  • Thomas the Rhymer
  • Ghostlight (Light, #1)
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
  • Mathemagics
  • The Hollowing (Mythago Wood, #4)
  • Solstice Wood (Winter Rose, #2)
  • Territory
  • Swords Against the Shadowlands
  • Strange Attractors (Quantum Enchantment, #3)
  • Freedom and Necessity
  • Strands of Starlight (Strands, #1)
Charles de Lint is the much beloved author of more than seventy adult, young adult, and children's books. Renowned as one of the trailblazers of the modern fantasy genre, he is the recipient of the World Fantasy, Aurora, Sunburst, and White Pine awards, among others. Modern Library's Top 100 Books of the 20th Century poll, conducted by Random House and voted on by readers, put eight of de Lint's b ...more
More about Charles de Lint...
The Blue Girl (Newford) Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1) The Onion Girl (Newford, #8) Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #5) Moonheart

“I'm not...' Angharad began, but then she thought. Not what? Not a bad person? Perhaps. But had she never known anger? Never held unkind thoughts? The stranger's observation was valid. No one was innocent of darkness.” 15 likes