Start by marking “The Rare and the Beautiful” as Want to Read:
The Rare and the Beautiful

The Rare and the Beautiful

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Like the better-known Mitfords, the Garman sisters took center stage in Bohemian London during the first half of the twentieth century. Beautiful, flamboyant, and headstrong, they broke away from middle-class conventions, seducing and inspiring a generation of artists. Kathleen, an enigmatic artist's model and aspiring pianist, was the lover and, later, wife of controversi...more
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Rare and the Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rare and the Beautiful

Penny
3.5
The 7 Garman sisters might not have names that all begin with a K but certainly if they had been born 100 years later they'd have been all over the Celebrity Press. Strikingly beautiful and with a wild, unconventional streak, they mixed with all the artistic movers and shakers of the 1920's and 30's.

This book explores the lives of just 3 of them (Mary, Kathleen and Lorna), but in many ways each in their turn deserves a book to themselves so it often felt a bit rushed.

During a period when the...more
Lizzie
Biography of (mostly) Kathleen, Mary, and Lorna Garman, who were born around the turn of the century and ran around with artists and writers in England and France. Mary married poet Roy Campbell (but had affairs with other people including Vita Sackville-West); Kathleen was the lover of sculptor Jacob Epstein for 30 years and they had three children before his wife died and they married; and Lorna married a wealthy publisher when she was 16, and also had many lovers including poet Laurie Lee and...more
Franny
Compared to the Mitford sisters, the Garmans were really dull. Besides encountering famous people, those sisters (and brothers) did not contribute much to the world. Those siblings were no writers, not married to any Nazi follower or warriors, just persons happening to meet interesting people and leading amoral lives (mostly).
As for the quality of the book, except that sometimes it was somehow difficult to follow who the writer is talking about by using inadequately the pronouns, either the rese...more
Lesley
Yes, I can see that these were fascinating people who had significant impact on the artistic and literary etc circles in which they moved, but I found something vaguely unsatisfactory about this account (quite aside from a number of contextual detail errors). My takeaway impression is that taken as a group (which contemporaries seemed to do, it's just a bit icky the way some people just shifted their attentions from one sister to someone else within the kinship network) they were fascinating, bu...more
Lynda
What worryingly fascinating people. Moving in the circles of politics and art, this family were an unashamedly debaucherous, yet unselfconscious bunch.
For anyone interested in finding out more about the Garman family, the "Garman Ryan Collection" at the Walsall Art Gallery has much of the art work on display and many gems hidden in the archives.
Lynda Kelly
I was just telling someone about this book which I have and realised I'd not added it to my catalogue. It is fascinating and I bought it as one of the sisters was local to me where I used to live.
rachael gibson
Fascinating family and such beautiful women - if only there were more pictures available! Really interesting read but some shocking parenting...
Georgina
Very interesting biography, I came across it at the library and had never heard of the Garmans before but what fascinating lives they led!
Analee
Fascinating look at the lives of six sisters, several of whom had connections to the Bloomsbury group in London.
Cynthia
Had never heard of this interesting family. So happy women now make their own light! London scene in the 1920s.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Librarianladyx
Librarianladyx marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Molly Morris Flasche
Molly Morris Flasche marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Catalina Terracotta
Catalina Terracotta marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Pixie
Pixie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Heleen Rijckaert
Heleen Rijckaert marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Bethany Fehlinger
Bethany Fehlinger marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
John
John added it
Jul 28, 2014
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Amy Robertson
Amy Robertson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
KOMET
KOMET marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Dennie
Dennie marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
My Former Heart The Happiest Days The Rare and the Beautiful The Rare and the Beautiful The Forward Book of Poetry 1995