Start by marking “Heaven's Coast: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Coast: A Memoir

Heaven's Coast: A Memoir

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  584 ratings  ·  56 reviews
The year is 1989 and Mark Doty's life has reached a state of enviable equilibrium. His reputation as a poet of formidable talent is growing, he enjoys his work as a college professor and, perhaps most importantly, he is deeply in love with his partner of many years, Wally Roberts. The harmonious existence these two men share is shattered, however, when they learn that Wall ...more
Published January 31st 1997 by Harper Perennial (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Coast

Justin
I just bought Mark Doty's latest collection of poems today, Fire to Fire . So far it's pretty great, most notably for its shimmering depictions of natural phenomena ranging from a bat flying in rural Britain to the ocean shores of Provincetown. Doty's gift for lyrical description is so impressive he'll actually startle me with his language, stringing words together to create beautiful, naturalistic illusions, like some kind of linguistic magician. This talent is also found in his prose works, as ...more
April Guilmet
I read this book last winter, having a fondness for Doty's lyrical poetry and prose, and having thoroughly enjoyed "Dog Years."
I can say this is truly one of the most devastatingly sad stories I've ever read, one too close to home for anyone who has ever cared for a terminally ill loved one and watch them slowly fade away. Doty's longtime partner died of AIDS in the 1990s: his story is based on the couple's final years together and is, at times, difficult to read. Nothing is sugar-coated here, a
Rj
All my life I've lived with a future, which constantly diminishes but never vanishes. 4.

Metaphor is a way of knowing the world, and no less a one than other sorts of ways of gaining knowledge. 25.

Sorrow is the cathedral, the immense architecture; in its interior there's room for almost everything: for desire, for flashes of happiness, for making plans for the future. And for watching all those evidences of ongoing life crumble in the flash of remembering, in the recurring wave of fresh grief. 62
Hendecam
Mark Doty's memoir, Heaven's Coast, is one of the most poetic books I've read in a long time. Ripe with vivid imagery, Doty's talent as a poet shines through in his prose.

In this book, Doty recounts the life and death of his lover Wally who succumbed to AIDS-related illness in the early 1990s. As Doty deals with this, he's also faced with the deaths of friends from AIDS and a very close friend who dies in a car accident. While all this sounds tragic, it's Doty's hopeful message that shines thro
Cheryl
This was stunning, beautiful, speechlessly powerful, and the longest poem I have ever read.

A poet writing a prose memoir is bound to be poetical, but this was more than that, it was a poem on every page, every chapter, within, and for every breath.

There are many times I feel that the universe is tapped into my interior landscape and gives me what I need: rain in some cases, snow in others, a sunset, a moon rise, etc. And when I need it, I have always felt my spirit lift to meet it, and absorb i
Nina
Doty's memoir shimmers with love, with joy, with pain, with grief. His prose is as rich and lyrical as his poetry. He invites us into his soul as he describes in unsparing detail his lover's journey through HIV. Doty honors his partner with every word; the love and respect is obvious, as well as the despair that results from knowing what is to come and being totally powerless to prevent it.
Christina
This is one of my absolute favorite books of all time! I read it in a theological studies seminar back in my undergrad days, and if you need any indication that LMU is more of a liberal Catholic school, you can consider that I was reading this beautiful book, about a gay man whose lover is dying of AIDS, as part of the course curriculum.
Dee L.
"This is how I see through the wider end of the telescope, when my perspective's wide enough to see us as part of this vast interchange of being, not its center. On other days, the water of grief--deep, impenetrable, dark, cold--pours over everything and then I am lightless, unseeing." - p.9

"And there is somehow in the grand scale of dune and marsh and sea room for all of human longing, placed firmly in context by the larger world: small, our flames are, though to us raging, essential." - p. 18

"
Cayr
Mark Doty is an award-winning poet and one of this generation's best writers. In his memoir "Heaven's Coast", Doty shares his experiences as his poetry career is just starting to take off and his lover is simultaneously diagnosed with AIDS. It's 1989 and little is known about AIDS, and effective treatment is non-existent. Doty and Wally discover together how to live when life seems so tenuous.

I won't kid you; this is a very sad book. It is written beautifully, honestly and with soul - but it's
Samantha
This book destroyed me. It made me weep loudly and openly in public, warmed my heart, and inundated me with achingly beautiful language.
Holly
Exquisitely beautiful, compelling memoir and meditation on loss. So wise in its insights, so lyrical in its expression. Just read it.
Kevin Graves
This book helped me through the last stages of grief over losing my partner of 25 years. Though his circumstances weren't quite the same as mine, the grief stories were. I am captivate by both his prose and his poetry. He has a gift with words I have not quite seen before. This is a beautiful story of deep love and deep loss and how Doty was almost swallowed alive by his partner's death. Also the story of how he got through it. He was also grieving the loss of one of his best friends in the book ...more
Ann
Mark Doty's account of the last 18 months or so of his life with his partner, Wally, who died of AIDS. For me, the first half of the book, more about the grieving process than Wally and his illness, was less gripping than the 2nd half when we see Doty watching Wally die, gracefully and with dignity. It is a very beautiful book, and I liked the concrete details of the support system that gathered (and that gathered for other HIV positive men) around Wally, and the stories of this community of fri ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Apr 28, 2014 Plainbrownwrapper marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-don-t-have-it
Don't know if I can stand all the grief in this one, but it sounds beautiful.
Mj Harding
Doty's memoir which deals with the illness and death of his lover, Wally, from AIDS was more than memoir as it spoke not only on love and loss, but captured the essence of what it means to be a human who is engaged and aware of the greater world all around him. Loved this book!
Jordan Lombard
OMG... what can I say about this book? It's phenomenal. I can't say that enough. The emotion is ripe, the story is true, and I bawled my eyes out. It's so sad that bad things happen to good people. But that's life.

Mark Doty knows how to write, and write beautifully, even when he's writing about his own life when things weren't so great.

This is a very moving memoir and everyone should read it, whether it's their kind of book or not, just so you can get a feeling for what it means to LIVE and wha
Ashley
Grief does not just come with losing the love of your life. The language in this incredible memoir relates to all people who have dealt with loss of any kind. The pearly gates open and you enter into the last years of Mark Doty recalling life with his partner, Wally who was diagnosed with and died from AIDS. The afterword is also worth the read and includes my favorite quote, which Doty wrote, “All my life I’ve lived with a future which constantly diminishes but never vanishes.” The appreciation ...more
Kristen
One gets the sense reading "Heaven’s Coast", that Doty turned into his sorrow forcefully after losing his partner Wally, abiding his anguish by bearing witness to his own grief, their courageous struggle together and the immeasurable devastation being wreaked by AIDS in gay communities. Divided into two parts, Heaven’s Coast is both a beautiful, evocative meditation on grieving and a provocative narrative account of love, struggle and loss during the AIDS epidemic.
Beth
Beautiful -- the best of the memoirs I've read about AIDS. But it goes far beyond that -- it's not about AIDS, really, but about grief and love and life in general. It's a finely-detailed, complicated, essential work of art.

(Edited to say the best "memoir", not "book" about AIDS. Rebecca Brown's The Gifts of the Body is completely different but just as beautiful and necessary.)
Dallas
I read this in college as part of an AIDS in Literature course. I still remember it as a poignant and poetic story. It was well written and I am glad I was "forced" to read it. I hope to be able to replace this in my library at some point. This book is good for anyone who likes memoirs or simply wants to have a glimpse into a portion of our world that most of us have no experience with.
Alyssa
Reading this memoir of death, written by a poet, felt like looking into a mirror of my own experiences of loss and grief. With acute transparency, Doty explores his experience as a caregiver, writer, lover, and survivor. "Isn't that part of what being with dying teaches us, different sorts of knowing?... Is that my work, to point to the world and say, see how darkly it sparkles?"
Howard Mansfield
What stands out about Doty’s memoir about the death of his partner Wally, besides his poet’s touch with metaphor and close observation, is his care for Wally, who dies at home surrounded by his friends, dogs, and a community of caregivers. After his death, Doty feels as if he’s fallen in love with Wally all over again. Heaven’s Coast is suffused with love.

Kelli S.
Really grateful for this book. In addition to being one of the most real grief memoirs I've read, Mr Doty actually captures some of that very strange juxtaposition of total despair with moments of peace that (sometimes) accompanies losing someone you love. Difficult to explain, but well explained in this book.
Suzanne
I kept having to put this book down. Simply put, it's devastating. Doty writes of his partner's long slow death from AIDS with dignity and courage.

Also check out his poem "The New Dog," which comes from an episode related in this memoir. I can't think of without getting teary. It's beautiful.
Mike
I had to read this in college for a course called Literature of AIDS. It wasn't a great class but this was a great book. For some reason when reding things for school I'm unable to focus very well, not a good thing I know. I went back and read this during the summer and it is a beautiful book.
Sara
A wonderful book. Started off a little slow (not a huge fan of nature writing, and it felt like that early on) but completely sucked me in. A beautiful memoir not only of Doty's partner's struggle with AIDS but of the entire AIDS crisis in the gay community.
Christopher Barnes
When I went to visit Warren Wilson, this was the book being taught in the class I sat in on. Though I was unfamiliar at the time, even the short excerpt was gorgeous enough to inspire me to read it---and to come to Wilson to finish my education. Prepare to weep.
Lara
How lucky we are, that Mark Doty has chosen to share that most private of emotions, grief, and speak of the transformative power of loss with his unendingly gleaming voice. Some of the most comforting observations on death I have ever seen.
Carol

As an annual vistor to Provincetown, I make a point of reading works by local authors. This is my first by Mark Doty, who is a poet and lost his partner to AIDS in the early 90's. It's a weaving of his life and loss during that time.
Amy
Jan 05, 2008 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir
This book is incredibly sad...I think I would have liked it a lot more if I'd been in a more emotionally stable place in my life at the time I read it. As it was, I was incredibly sad myself, and the book was overwhelming.
  • Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir
  • Truth Serum
  • The Man With Night Sweats
  • Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration
  • Fierce Attachments: A Memoir
  • The Motion Of Light In Water: Sex And Science Fiction Writing In The East Village
  • Love, Death, and the Changing of the Seasons
  • The Farewell Symphony
  • A Hunger: Poems
  • I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore
  • Butterfly Boy: Memories of a Chicano Mariposa
Mark Doty is the author of six books of poems and two memoirs, Heaven's Coast and Firebird. A Guggenheim, Ingram-Merrill, and Whiting Fellow, he has also received the National Book Critics Circle Award and the PEN/Martha Albrand Prize for Nonfiction. He teaches at the University of Houston, and divides his time between Houston and Provincetown, Massachusetts.
More about Mark Doty...
Dog Years Still Life with Oysters and Lemon: On Objects and Intimacy My Alexandria Atlantis Fire to Fire

“All my life I've lived with a future which constantly diminishes but never vanishes.” 5 likes
“And, I think, this greening does thaw at the edges, at least, of my own cold season. Joy sneaks in: listening to music, riding my bicycle, I catch myself feeling, in a way that’s as old as I am but suddenly seems unfamiliar, light. I have felt so heavy for so long. At first I felt odd- as if I shouldn’t be feeling this lightness, that familiar little catch of pleasure in the heart which is inexplicable, though a lovely passage of notes or the splendidly turned petal of a tulip has triggered it. It’s my buoyancy, part of what keeps me alive: happy, suddenly with the concomitant experience of a sonata and the motion of the shadows of leaves. I have the desire to be filled with sunlight, to soak my skin in as much of it as I can drink up, after the long interior darkness of this past season, the indoor vigil, in this harshest and darkest of winters, outside and in.” 3 likes