Start by marking “Heaven's Coast: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Coast: A Memoir

Heaven's Coast: A Memoir

The year is 1989 and Mark Doty's life has reached a state of enviable equilibrium. His reputation as a poet of formidable talent is growing, he enjoys his work as a college professor and, perhaps most importantly, he is deeply in love with his partner of many years, Wally Roberts. The harmonious existence these two men share is shattered, however, when they learn that Wall ...more
Published January 31st 1997 by Harper Perennial (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Coast

Justin
Jun 13, 2008 Justin rated it it was ok
I just bought Mark Doty's latest collection of poems today, Fire to Fire . So far it's pretty great, most notably for its shimmering depictions of natural phenomena ranging from a bat flying in rural Britain to the ocean shores of Provincetown. Doty's gift for lyrical description is so impressive he'll actually startle me with his language, stringing words together to create beautiful, naturalistic illusions, like some kind of linguistic magician. This talent is also found in his prose works, a ...more
Writer's Relief
Jun 03, 2016 Writer's Relief rated it it was amazing
Mark Doty is an openly gay poet who has for many years used his work as powerful LGBTQ+ activism. He is best known for his poetry, but any lover of his poems should be just as excited to read this memoir.

HEAVEN’S COAST is a lyrical, emotional account of the years surrounding the death of Doty’s partner, Wally. Doty recounts Wally’s heartbreaking battle with AIDS—from his initial diagnosis to his devolution as the disease progresses to his final moments. Doty also reminisces over the early years
Richard Jespers
Jan 10, 2015 Richard Jespers rated it it was amazing
Doty writes a memoir concerning the death of his lover, Wally Roberts, from complications due to AIDS. Unbelievably controlled prose, but unbridled emotion. I’ve never cried so freely while reading a book. Yet Doty is funny, as well:

“And I was cooking for three, and teaching, and taking care of a man who’d just collapsed in my house; learning to cook like June Cleaver didn’t exactly seem an option” (196-7).

Another passage that moved me deeply:

“Christmas Eve, I give him packages which I open fo
Patricia Murphy
Aug 11, 2015 Patricia Murphy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I'm glad Doty wrote this but I'm sorry he lived it.

Harder even than Wally’s death, my life’s watershed, toward which all the time before it moved, and all the time after hurries away.

There are times I feel I’m translating, in my head, from one language to another; I’ve become a citizen of grief’s country, and now I find I don’t always easily speak the old tongue I used to know so well.

“Does a snowflake in an avalanche feel responsible?”

"And to die is different from what anyone supposed, and luc
April Guilmet
May 27, 2009 April Guilmet rated it really liked it
I read this book last winter, having a fondness for Doty's lyrical poetry and prose, and having thoroughly enjoyed "Dog Years."
I can say this is truly one of the most devastatingly sad stories I've ever read, one too close to home for anyone who has ever cared for a terminally ill loved one and watch them slowly fade away. Doty's longtime partner died of AIDS in the 1990s: his story is based on the couple's final years together and is, at times, difficult to read. Nothing is sugar-coated here, a
Rj
Apr 06, 2014 Rj rated it it was amazing
All my life I've lived with a future, which constantly diminishes but never vanishes. 4.

Metaphor is a way of knowing the world, and no less a one than other sorts of ways of gaining knowledge. 25.

Sorrow is the cathedral, the immense architecture; in its interior there's room for almost everything: for desire, for flashes of happiness, for making plans for the future. And for watching all those evidences of ongoing life crumble in the flash of remembering, in the recurring wave of fresh grief. 62
Hendecam
May 17, 2014 Hendecam rated it really liked it
Mark Doty's memoir, Heaven's Coast, is one of the most poetic books I've read in a long time. Ripe with vivid imagery, Doty's talent as a poet shines through in his prose.

In this book, Doty recounts the life and death of his lover Wally who succumbed to AIDS-related illness in the early 1990s. As Doty deals with this, he's also faced with the deaths of friends from AIDS and a very close friend who dies in a car accident. While all this sounds tragic, it's Doty's hopeful message that shines thro
Cheryl
Apr 06, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This was stunning, beautiful, speechlessly powerful, and the longest poem I have ever read.

A poet writing a prose memoir is bound to be poetical, but this was more than that, it was a poem on every page, every chapter, within, and for every breath.

There are many times I feel that the universe is tapped into my interior landscape and gives me what I need: rain in some cases, snow in others, a sunset, a moon rise, etc. And when I need it, I have always felt my spirit lift to meet it, and absorb i
Nina
Sep 10, 2008 Nina rated it it was amazing
Doty's memoir shimmers with love, with joy, with pain, with grief. His prose is as rich and lyrical as his poetry. He invites us into his soul as he describes in unsparing detail his lover's journey through HIV. Doty honors his partner with every word; the love and respect is obvious, as well as the despair that results from knowing what is to come and being totally powerless to prevent it.
Christina
Oct 01, 2009 Christina rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favorite books of all time! I read it in a theological studies seminar back in my undergrad days, and if you need any indication that LMU is more of a liberal Catholic school, you can consider that I was reading this beautiful book, about a gay man whose lover is dying of AIDS, as part of the course curriculum.
Christine Fay
Mar 25, 2015 Christine Fay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
When I first picked up this book, it was to be read during the school day. Due to its poetic nature, and beautiful language, I could not get to a place of concentration where I could enjoy it within the walls of my classroom. I needed a quiet and serene place to enjoy the journey through Mark’s life in Vermont and Provincetown, where his lover, Wally, succumbed peacefully to AIDS. The visit he got from the coyote on the beach reminded me of some of the messages I’ve received from my deceased gra ...more
Saoirse Sterling
Nov 08, 2015 Saoirse Sterling rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, masculine
There is nothing wrong with the book, or memoir, but it is all me. I went in to it not knowing what it was or who it was written by, and there is no fault there but my own. I can say nothing more.
Samantha
Dec 12, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing
This book destroyed me. It made me weep loudly and openly in public, warmed my heart, and inundated me with achingly beautiful language.
Courtney Johnson
Jan 16, 2016 Courtney Johnson rated it it was ok
I had to read this is two days for my english 300 class. I didn't really like it. I didnt connect with any of the characters. I dont think I got a good enough grasp of who they were or even what they looked like. This was divided into two sections. I absolutely hated the first section. I couldnt make any sense of it. The second section was better because it was more of a narrative, not just ramblings. However, the epilogue went back to the rambling. I will not be reading this book again. So glad ...more
Kristen Wegner
Feb 26, 2016 Kristen Wegner rated it really liked it
Though--as others have said--this book was occasionally far-too overblown with flowery emotion, its subject matter--grief, specifically related to the scourge of AIDs in the early 1990s--renders that forgivable. If you're looking for a book that will impact you, this is likely one: I cannot say it taught me how to grieve, or that it gave ideal treatment to the life and character of Mark's lover, Wally (the man whose death inspires the rest of the memoir), but nonetheless something sticks in you.
Deena
Feb 21, 2014 Deena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This is how I see through the wider end of the telescope, when my perspective's wide enough to see us as part of this vast interchange of being, not its center. On other days, the water of grief--deep, impenetrable, dark, cold--pours over everything and then I am lightless, unseeing." - p.9

"And there is somehow in the grand scale of dune and marsh and sea room for all of human longing, placed firmly in context by the larger world: small, our flames are, though to us raging, essential." - p. 18

"
Carola
Apr 10, 2016 Carola rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Although I didn't love this memoir, it is an important record of that time in the late twentieth century when the population of gay men in the US was being decimated by AIDS. As a physician who was in training during this era, I appreciate the very intimate portrait of the lives of those who were, for me, patients to be treated. Doty's primary vocation as a poet was perhaps, for me, a drawback; the flowery language and metaphors seemed too heavy-handed at times.

Doty wrote this memoir so soon aft
Cayr
Apr 10, 2012 Cayr rated it really liked it
Mark Doty is an award-winning poet and one of this generation's best writers. In his memoir "Heaven's Coast", Doty shares his experiences as his poetry career is just starting to take off and his lover is simultaneously diagnosed with AIDS. It's 1989 and little is known about AIDS, and effective treatment is non-existent. Doty and Wally discover together how to live when life seems so tenuous.

I won't kid you; this is a very sad book. It is written beautifully, honestly and with soul - but it's
Melanie Brooks
Sep 18, 2016 Melanie Brooks rated it it was amazing
This breakthrough memoir is a journey through the immediate aftermath of loss. One of the first memoirs written at the height of the AIDS crisis. Twenty years later, still resonates.
Elizabeth
Nov 09, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
At times this was so sad that I was wondering why I was reading it, but I'm glad I did. It was really lovely. It was a little disjointed at times and was definitely a collection of memories rather than a novel so that took a little getting used to.
Holly
Nov 24, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisitely beautiful, compelling memoir and meditation on loss. So wise in its insights, so lyrical in its expression. Just read it.
Sarah Wargin
Dec 01, 2015 Sarah Wargin rated it really liked it
A meditation on love, loss, and death. Doty's writing style is poignant and powerful, picturesque, and very descriptive.
Dallas Rising
Jul 07, 2015 Dallas Rising rated it really liked it
Exquisitely written, this memoir about grief in its many forms. Most poetry isn't for me, but this poet's prose is.
Madeline
Broke my heart six times, beautiful writing style, source of unending inspiration. One of the best works I've read
Kevin Graves
Sep 05, 2011 Kevin Graves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me through the last stages of grief over losing my partner of 25 years. Though his circumstances weren't quite the same as mine, the grief stories were. I am captivate by both his prose and his poetry. He has a gift with words I have not quite seen before. This is a beautiful story of deep love and deep loss and how Doty was almost swallowed alive by his partner's death. Also the story of how he got through it. He was also grieving the loss of one of his best friends in the book ...more
Ana
May 12, 2015 Ana rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, wonderful book. It will stay with me for a long time. Mark Doty is a superb writer.
Rena Graham
Sep 21, 2015 Rena Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
This book describes the rough voyage of losing a partner in ways I've never read before. Doty's dense descriptive writing gets under the skin and leaves a lasting impression.
Ann
May 21, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
Mark Doty's account of the last 18 months or so of his life with his partner, Wally, who died of AIDS. For me, the first half of the book, more about the grieving process than Wally and his illness, was less gripping than the 2nd half when we see Doty watching Wally die, gracefully and with dignity. It is a very beautiful book, and I liked the concrete details of the support system that gathered (and that gathered for other HIV positive men) around Wally, and the stories of this community of fri ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Apr 28, 2014 Plainbrownwrapper marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-don-t-have-it
Don't know if I can stand all the grief in this one, but it sounds beautiful.
Mj Harding
Jan 17, 2014 Mj Harding rated it really liked it
Doty's memoir which deals with the illness and death of his lover, Wally, from AIDS was more than memoir as it spoke not only on love and loss, but captured the essence of what it means to be a human who is engaged and aware of the greater world all around him. Loved this book!
  • Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir
  • The Cancer Journals
  • The Best Day the Worst Day: Life with Jane Kenyon
  • The Pink Triangle: The Nazi War Against Homosexuals
  • Travels with Lizbeth: Three Years on the Road and on the Streets
Mark Doty is the author of six books of poems and two memoirs, Heaven's Coast and Firebird. A Guggenheim, Ingram-Merrill, and Whiting Fellow, he has also received the National Book Critics Circle Award and the PEN/Martha Albrand Prize for Nonfiction. He teaches at the University of Houston, and divides his time between Houston and Provincetown, Massachusetts.
More about Mark Doty...

“All my life I've lived with a future which constantly diminishes but never vanishes.” 6 likes
“Being in grief, it turns out, is not unlike being in love.
In both states, the imagination's entirely occupied with one person. The beloved dwells at the heart of the world, and becomes a Rome: the roads of feeling all lead to him, all proceed from him. Everything that touches us seems to relate back to that center: there is no other emotional life, no place outside the universe of feeling centered on its pivotal figure.”
4 likes