Start by marking “Composing Amelia” as Want to Read:
Composing Amelia

Composing Amelia

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  397 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Composing Amelia, is a journey through the introduction of mental illness into a young marriage and the resulting havoc that can be wreaked by the disease.

A young Los Angeles marriage is put to the test and two careers are threatened when Amelia's husband Marcus is hired as a pastor at a remote Nebraska church. The move results in resentment and sparks the onset of mental
Published September 1st 2011 by David C. Cook (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Composing Amelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Composing Amelia

Claire
May 09, 2013 Claire rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Born Again Christians
This booked tricked me. It was Christian fiction.

In theory I'm not opposed to Christian fiction. I'll read just about anything. I'll read science fiction even though I'm not an alien, I'll read fantasy even though I'm not a princess, so in theory I have no problems reading Christian fiction even if the characters are motivated by a power I don't understand.

I was able to get past the many instances of asking God for guidance and putting trust in God. That made sense for those characters, so I was
TinaB
Jan 09, 2012 TinaB rated it really liked it
Amelia and Marcus are newly married, crazy in love and living in LA. Amelia has dreams of becoming a famous concert pianist and Marcus has dreams of becoming a pastor like his father. When opportunity comes at the same time for both of them, the decision mentally and physically tears them apart. Being so young in the marriage they make huge mistakes dealing with it and wind up separated as they try and work things out. Depression and anxiety spark a buried mental illness in Amelia, while doubt a ...more
Jeni Enjaian
I contemplated rating this book with three stars. It almost got to that point.

When I first started reading this book (available via a kindle download from my library) I was caught by surprise that it was a Christian book. While I hate to admit it, I was disappointed that it was. Unfortunately many Christian authors feel that Christianity restricts their prose or dictates certain answers, certain character descriptions, certain plots.

Ms. Strobel fell into that trap often throughout this book. Her
Margo Berendsen
Oct 04, 2012 Margo Berendsen rated it really liked it
Actually, 4.5 stars, because I'm not sure I'd ever read it again (5 stars) but I definitely think everyone should read this book, especially if you are newly married or starry-eyed with ambition or if you've just discovered hidden dysfuntionality in your family or ESPECIALLY if you think there IS NO DYSFUNCTION in your family.

Quick summary: two people love each other very much and get married, but they are both pursuing very different dreams that end up tearing them apart. Throw into the mix di
Jodie
Nov 23, 2011 Jodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, group-read
Amelia and Marcus, recent college graduates and newlyweds, are seeking their "dream" jobs. Amelia has aspirations to become a well-known pianist and play professionally. Marcus is following in his father's footsteps and looking for a pastoral job in a large church. Trying desperately to stay afloat in pricey Los Angeles, they are each working numerous jobs. Then, Amelia finds her dream job just as Marcus accepts an interview for a lead pastor position in Nebraska. How can they both have their dr ...more
Alicia
May 07, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Another repeat author for me, I really enjoyed her previous novel Heart of Memory which was a nook freebie some time ago and I was really look forward to this novel.

Composing Amelia is the story of a young, broke married couple- Amelia and Marcus who begin the novel living check to check in a cramped L.A. apartment, working three jobs as they each focus on building their dream careers. For Marcus, this career is a as pastor and Amelia hopes to become a renowned pianist. Both have agreed to look
Jennifer Jensen
Dec 31, 2011 Jennifer Jensen rated it it was amazing
The ways in which we set ourselves up to be disappointed are endless. Sometimes we wade through a difficult patch and work ourselves into a fevered pitch to make things turn out better. Sometimes we hang our hats on our predetermined ideas of what comes next, certain that we know best. In the end, everything we encounter and go through is part of the plan God has for us, and as Christians our lives on earth are meant to give us opportunity to know him better, to grow closer to him as we prepare ...more
Lydia Presley
Feb 04, 2012 Lydia Presley rated it did not like it
Original review posted here

I.. get the feeling this book was supposed to be about mental illness. Instead, what I got was a story about an incredibly immature couple who make unrealistic choices over, and over again. This book paints Christianity, rather.. Christians, as being incredibly naive, and selfish. Then – story aside, the characters were annoyingly two-dimensional. There was nothing but fluff there – and don’t get me started on the musical references when it comes to Amelia.

All I have t
Rachel Brand
I was really looking forward to reading this book as it dealt with some issues that are very relevant to me right now - being newly married graduates, making tough decisions about jobs and money and starting a family, and mental health. Sadly university work interrupted my reading so much that it took me almost two weeks to read this book! I'm not sure if that stunted my enjoyment of it somewhat, but I found myself getting increasingly annoyed with Amelia towards the end of the novel, instead of ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
A book that goes to a depressing place quick and the reader is stuck there for most of the book. With mental illness, lost career goals and a move away from home, this book is chocked full of hard issues that are confronted head on.

Amelia is new to the Christian faith and married to Marcus who has his dreams wrapped around following in his father's footsteps to be a pastor of a church. They both come from backgrounds that didn't have the best role models to learn how adulthood should be. It made
Ane Mulligan
Feb 16, 2014 Ane Mulligan rated it it was amazing
Alison Strobel keeps getting better and better. Composing Amelia is a novel I consider to be a lasting work of fiction. Within its pages, Strobel plumbs the depths of emotion in a subject fraught with prejudice and misinformation within the church. With characters your heart will embrace, it is a story of pride and depression without being depressive. From the first page until the last, I was caught up in Marcus and Amelia's world, unwilling to stop reading. A beautiful love story, you'll see Go ...more
Rebecca Rodriguez
Apr 11, 2012 Rebecca Rodriguez rated it liked it
Thanks to Goodreads and Alison Strobel for the opportunity to read this book. I'm from NE, so my initial desire to read it came from that connection to the story. My mother suffered from mental health issues, so this was a tough read. Not only is mental illness difficult for those experiencing it, but it is just as difficult for their families. It is hard to watch a loved one hurt and not be able to fix what is hurting them. Thanks for a book that addresses this topic and gives others an insight ...more
Nila
Dec 06, 2014 Nila rated it liked it
This might be the first book I read by this author.
The book is described with the female main character having some sort of mental issue when her husband moves to another town for a pastoral job but I NEVER read that into it at all. Anxious yes but not mental, and who won't when two people in a marriage suddenly want two different things? When a marriage is having issues while trying to get a new career started who wouldn't suddenly feel emotional? Amelia came off very love sick to me,not menta
Kaitlin
Jun 03, 2014 Kaitlin rated it liked it
Composing Amelia: A Novel (click book or see below for description)
By Alison Strobel
Downloaded free on 5/26/14 (released in Sept 2011)

Rating: 3 bones

Finish Time: 4 nights. I have a queue of books, both hard copy and e-copy just waiting to be read, but again this time (3rd in a row) I found myself looking through Amazon (Free) Best Sellers for a different book. The last two (here and here) have not disappointed. Having just made a big life decision and having to trust God and my husband, I couldn
writer...
Oct 27, 2011 writer... rated it liked it
without spoiling it for future readers...
Alison writes of tough, real life issues, with candor and insight. helpfully directing our attention to realities we regularly bump up against. unwanted pregnancy, in-law struggles, choices between her career/his career, cross-country moves, friendships, depression...
well done, Alison, for your creatively realistic writing and for competently tackling the challenging situations of Composing Amelia ...
Pam Chaffin
Mar 12, 2014 Pam Chaffin rated it liked it
This was a 3.5, so better than a 3. I like Alison Strobel. I love Christian Fiction. But.......I connected with the issues of the book; mental health, young faith, family issues, moving from big city to small town, unexpected pregnancy, etc. more than I did with the characters that were going through them. Overall though, still an enjoyable read. Just not one of my favorites by AS.
Dana
Jun 07, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
I had a bit of a difficult time enjoying parts of this story due to the character's depression. I kind of skimmed some of those parts because it is realistically written and I find depression to be rather depressing. I did think it was a well written interesting story and I liked the author's questions and explanations at the end.
Christine Lowe
May 30, 2014 Christine Lowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding Book

Good writing must run in the Strobel family. Alison has surely made her father proud as she pens each new book. She has an amazing ability to delve into deep psychological issues that confront damaged people.

We all have expectations of our spouse when we get married. Unfortunately, many of our expectations are unrealistic. Many of us carry wounds that we are either unaware of or we desperately try to hide the damaged parts that we think make us unacceptable.

This is a highly engag
Candy
Nov 25, 2011 Candy rated it it was amazing
Wow! I almost stopped reading this book because it was getting too depressing for me. I am so glad I didn't because even though it doesn't end with everything being solved, it offered so much hope. I think this was precisely because it didn't end tidy. It was a real story that could happen in our own lives and I just loved it.
Naomi
Jun 10, 2013 Naomi rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I am mixed on the review of this book. It was very slow starting off and way too long but the ending picked up and was wonderful. I guess I need to put it at 3.5 stars.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to read a Christian non-fiction book that isn't too involved.
Lindsey
Oct 10, 2011 Lindsey rated it liked it
Overall, this book was average. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I thought some parts drug on forever, but at the same time, I wanted to keep reading to find out what happens.

*I was provided this book through a Goodreads giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.
Shelly Troup
Nov 08, 2011 Shelly Troup rated it it was amazing
I didn't care for Amelia for most of the book, I thought she was selfish,and immature, but by the end of the story I began to like her. She ends up going through some difficult times but in the end she has grown into a giving, mature adult. All in all I like the book.
Alyson
May 31, 2013 Alyson rated it really liked it
This was very interesting in that it is a strongly "Christian fiction" story. That being said, I truly enjoyed the relationships and the emotions as the characters went through their individual and combined struggles. It felt very real and honest, which I really appreciated.
Carole  Robinson
May 07, 2012 Carole Robinson rated it really liked it
I found the book informative regarding mental illness. I saw the grace that God allows in our lives to accept those we love, inspite of their illness and personalities. I can't say it was a FUN read, but I couldn't put it down. Especially the second half.
Kelly
Feb 03, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Alison Strobel is a Christian author that isn't afraid to delve into real, messy life. I loved this book and even got my toes stepped on a bit. A real picture of letting go and letting God.
Dec 27, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
This audiobook (unabridged) was great company on a long winter road trip. Kept me engaged (and awake) and interested. Really enjoyed it. Will have to check out Strobel's other titles.
Darla
Jan 22, 2016 Darla rated it liked it
Els
Dec 03, 2015 Els rated it liked it
Ik laat mij meestal leiden door de cover zonder de achterflap te lezen en meestal blijkt het ook een goed boek te zijn. Toen ik deze begon te lezen, dacht ik even dat ik hem in een vlaag van zinsverbijstering gedownload moest hebben, want ik en een Christian verhaal, dat is als water en vuur. Toch sprak de covertekst mij aan en ik besloot het een kans te geven.
De titel past heel goed bij het verhaal, de tekening kan ik er echter niet aan koppelen. Voor mij heeft hij wel iets, want anders had ik
Karla
May 04, 2016 Karla rated it liked it
Amelia is a new Christian and newly married, attempting to reconcile her feelings with her faith and her over eager fresh-out-of-seminary husband. He is actually quite obnoxious with his behavior early on, as I see it. What ensues is confusion, disillusionment, and eventually a breakdown. The author describes true clinical depression quite realistically. While the story is predictable the reading is time worthy if only to glimpse the thoughts that run through the bipolar or depressed person's he ...more
Michelle
What a phenomenal story! I can't think of a more accurate way to describe this incredible novel. The author touches on so many aspects of real life. Composing Amelia gives readers a glimpse into varying emotional landscapes. It shows effective and ineffective communication, uncovers scars from dysfunctional families, exposes discord due to different marriage goals, shows how guilt and suppressed pain often leads to out-of-control depression, outlines couples searching for a balance between their ...more
  • The Language of Sparrows
  • When Sparrows Fall
  • The Reluctant Prophet (The Reluctant Prophet, #1)
  • A Heart Deceived
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • Informed Consent
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • Personal Attention (My Once and Future Love, #2)
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • The Girl Across the Street
  • Operation Bonnet
  • Travelers Rest
  • The Guest Book (Sunset Beach #2)
  • The Road to Mercy
  • Until Forever
  • The Fire in Ember: A Novel
  • Claim: A Novel of Colorado (The Homeward Trilogy, #3)
  • A Heartbeat Away
Alison is a women's fiction novelist who writes books about life, love, and faith. Her sophomore release, "Violette Between," was a RITA Award finalist in 2007. She lives in Colorado with her husband (with whom she has co-authored two children's books) and their two daughters.
More about Alison Strobel...