Start by marking “Turtle, Swan and Bethlehem in Broad Daylight: TWO VOLUMES OF POETRY” as Want to Read:
Turtle, Swan and Bethlehem in Broad Daylight: TWO VOLUMES OF POETRY

Turtle, Swan and Bethlehem in Broad Daylight: TWO VOLUMES OF POETRY

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The winner of four major awards, including the National Book Critics Circle Award and the T. S. Eliot Prize, Mark Doty has established himself as one of the most courageous and eloquent poets of our time. The University of Illinois Press is proud to present this one-volume edition of Doty's first two collections of poetry, Turtle, Swan and Bethlehem in Broad Daylight. Long ...more
Published December 16th 1999 by University of Illinois Press

To ask other readers questions about Turtle, Swan and Bethlehem in Broad Daylight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turtle, Swan and Bethlehem in Broad Daylight

Nicole Gervasio
This two-in-one volume is so much more than just a great deal. Seeing Doty read some of its many brilliant contents aloud at the Geraldine Dodge Poetry Festival (on more than one occasion) remains one of few reading experiences that brought me to tears.

In particular, I remember the first visit to the Dodge Festival; I was in high school, gallivanting with friends from our literary magazine, which had funded our trip. It was raining torrentially against the giant tents that housed the stages.

I wa
Kent
After having read My Alexandria, it's hard to view anything by Doty without that as a lens. In these two books, there is a discernible progress towards My Alexandria. Bethlehem in Daylight, especially, has a way of weaving in the memories of his mother, with these truly tragic losses of friends. "A Box of Lilies" is absolutely superb and startling.
Will
Feb 13, 2009 Will rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
So sad that you have to read it slowly. So beautiful that you have to cry.
Rae
Rae is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Jessa
Jessa marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Wendy
Wendy added it
Dec 26, 2012
Kyleniebob
Kyleniebob marked it as to-read
May 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mark Doty is the author of six books of poems and two memoirs, Heaven's Coast and Firebird. A Guggenheim, Ingram-Merrill, and Whiting Fellow, he has also received the National Book Critics Circle Award and the PEN/Martha Albrand Prize for Nonfiction. He teaches at the University of Houston, and divides his time between Houston and Provincetown, Massachusetts.
More about Mark Doty...
Dog Years Still Life with Oysters and Lemon: On Objects and Intimacy My Alexandria Atlantis Heaven's Coast: A Memoir