Start by marking “Circle of Secrets” as Want to Read:
Circle of Secrets

Circle of Secrets

Critically acclaimed author Kimberley Griffiths Little weaves a haunting story of friendship and family and the power of faith, once again set against the lush backdrop of the Lousiana bayou.

After her mother walked out on Shelby Jayne and her dad, Shelby thought she'd never speak to her mamma again. But with her dad leaving the country for work, it turns out she doesn't ha
Published October 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Circle of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle of Secrets

Kimberley Little
Mar 02, 2011 Kimberley Little rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's kind of strange to mark your own book as "Read". Yep, read many, many times! The basic premise of CIRCLE OF SECRETS came from one of my very first "practice" novels written about 15 years ago. I completely rewrote it, set it in the lush Louisiana bayous, added a mysterious charm bracelet, a quirky mamma, a blue bottle tree, and a brush of magic! My nieces and nephews and sons all begged me to publish this book 15 years ago - and finally it's here - enjoy!
Meagan Spooner
Sep 28, 2011 Meagan Spooner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I don't normally write reviews, but I'm still thinking about this book weeks after I read it.

I read the whole book in one sitting, unable to put it down. Shelby is a beautifully drawn character placed in an unforgettable setting, and the story of her and her estranged mother is just heart-wrenching. The mysteries Shelby encounters throughout the story are engrossing, and exactly the sort of things that would have fascinated me, if I were in Shelby's place. Strange messages in bottles, a ruined h
Theresa Milstein
Aug 01, 2011 Theresa Milstein rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was a lucky winner of an ARC of this book.

Just like I had to compare Touch Blue by Cynthia Lord to her first book, Rules. I have to compare Kimbereley Griffiths Little's Circle of Secrets to The Healing Spell.

The Healing Spell had personal meaning for me because I had a strained relationship with my mother and she spent time in a coma. I'd never read a book about a parent in a coma before. Because of my childhood experience, the book moved me even more deeply. But even without that connection
Iris
Nov 03, 2011 Iris rated it it was amazing
Kristina
Aug 04, 2011 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another phenomenal book by Kimberly Griffiths Little . Circle of Secrets had me crying from beginning to end. Kimberly Little once again reveals an amazing insight into the complexities of Mother / Daughter relationships and the overwhelming power of trust and forgiveness in healing emotional hurts and wounds.

Circle of Secrets shows an astonishing insight into the mind of a child caught in the wake of matrimonial discord. After Shelby's mother walks out on her family, Shelby is left with heart-
Julie
Jan 31, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Kimberley's writing. She has such a way with words that every page feels as deep and as rich as biting into fine chocolate. Circle of Secrets is no exception. I enjoyed the texture of the setting and the innocence of the character. This was a haunting tale of friendship, forgiveness, and letting go of the past. Loved it.
Bre
May 05, 2011 Bre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Kimberley Griffiths Little just has a way of pulling her readers into her stories! I was instantly drawn into this magical story of healing and loss. I loved “The Healing Spell”, but I may actually love this one more! Everything is nicely tied together in the ending and I love the blue bottle tree and it’s meaning throughout the story. I am so excited to read more from this author!
Eva
Jul 08, 2017 Eva rated it really liked it
Very engaging, tone-wise, and a good walk-through of the feelings of betrayal you experience when a parent leaves. Love the setting as well.
Cindy Hudson
Nov 15, 2011 Cindy Hudson rated it it was amazing
When Shelby Jayne’s mamma, Mirage, left their family, Shelby swore she’d never forgive her. Now it’s a year later, and because her father will be out of the country working for six months and her grandmother recovering from hip surgery, Shelby finds herself deep in the swamps of Louisiana on Mirage’s doorstep with a suitcase in hand.

She’s not interested in Mirage’s reasons for leaving or in her box of recipes for healing spells, but she is drawn to the blue-bottle tree in the backyard. The tree
Ms. Yingling
May 22, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Shelby is angry at everyone. Her father, because he's going away and can't leave her with her grandmother, who is in the hospital. Her mother, who walked away from the family a year ago. The new students in her school who slyly taunt her. Shelby's mother is a healer and her house is in the swamp, so her new classmates have plenty of ammunition to tease her. When Shelby meets Gwen, she is relieved to have someone to talk to, but she's concerned because Gwen's parents are missing and she is stayin ...more
Sheila
May 26, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars...
Last year I read one of the most incredible books, called The Healing Spell. It had such charm and substance to the story, and was based in the bayou of Louisiana. The story was full of strong characters and Cajun magic. Kimberley's newest book, Circle of Secrets, is no different. It also has that magical feel to the story; this time it includes ghosts, real and figuratively. Though there is a feeling of awe and mystery concerning the ghost, there is nothing there that would scare
Keli Wright
Mar 19, 2012 Keli Wright rated it it was amazing
I found this book on the coffee table, while I was baby-sitting for Tessa.. Tessa is 8. This book was published by Scholastic.. I thought I KNOW this is a kid's book and I know I have already read a LOT of kid's books this year.. BUT I felt like I had to read this one.. it just looked so fun. I went home and I googled some information about it and found out the author is LDS!!!! even better.. I loved the book, the story, the characters and had a lot of fun reading it.. and I know that if I was a ...more
Amy Bartelloni
May 24, 2014 Amy Bartelloni rated it it was amazing
My 11 year old daughter has read this so many times that we've had to tape the pages together! She finally got me to read it and I'm so glad I did. I love a good spooky story. The characters were believable and easy to relate to, even the adults. A lot of times in middle grade I find the adult characters one dimensional, as if they're just there for decoration, but in this case the parents had their own struggles that were fully flushed out but not thrown in your face. I loved how she made the s ...more
Debbie Graham
May 13, 2012 Debbie Graham rated it liked it
Ya'll, this was a bit of an etouffee of issues; family disintegration, intergenerational conflicts, bullying etc etc (not wanting to give spoilers here). The start was a bit slow but then the drama makes up for it, and (strong) 4th grade and up readers will really enjoy it, I think. Unless they see through the plot twists early on... Note there are no significant young male characters. I don't like the title though even though upon conclusion it smacks you with all sorts of significance. I would ...more
Shanshad Whelan
Aug 04, 2011 Shanshad Whelan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, childrens, mg
A nicely written little ghost story set in the Louisiana bayou. While the paranormal thread runs through the story and ultimately creates the pivot point for the main character, the majority of the tale is grounded in real-world family schisms and one preteen's effort to struggle through her emotions and find a way to reconcile her life and family.
Cynthia
May 05, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read, pajama-book, ya
She does it again with an awesome, heart wrenching story about love, loss, the strength in family, and most of all hope for a better tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing your gift with us! Loved it, loved it, loved it! Can't wait to share with my students!
StorySnoops
Jan 10, 2012 StorySnoops rated it really liked it
his companion book to The Healing Spell is as enchanting as its predecessor. Beautifully written, the author paints a vivid picture of life in the bayou where anything--including....(click here for the full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Wendy
Wonderful, magical, deep, and rich. Kimberley paints a vivid picture of the Bayou and magic left behind when things are left unsaid. When 11 year-old Shelby plucks a note from a blue bottle tree, she opens the way for healing through otherworldly means. Read the book. You won't be disappointed.
Shauna
May 21, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
i think this book is really good and i think in the book she'sdad brave cause she does'nt cry when her dad leaves her she sucks it in and tries to deal with her problems!!! (she does'nt exspress her bad feelings)
LuAnn
Jul 28, 2011 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Hauntingly beautiful. Terrifying, yet compelling. One of the best Middle Grade novels I've read in years. Kimberly Griffiths Little is a master at bringing readers the perfect story with the exact flavor of the Bayou mixed in. I also recommend her previous novel, The Healing Spell.
Sydney
Oct 13, 2014 Sydney rated it it was amazing
i really really loved this book!It was amazing.Its abut a family having hard times but eventually get back together
Susan
May 09, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
An engaging bayou ghost story from an author who really knows how to bring her settings and story people to life. This one engaged both my imagination and my heart. I loved it.
Karlene Browning
May 15, 2012 Karlene Browning rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It's sort of a ghost story, but it wasn't scary at all. I love the voice of the character. Highly recommended read.
Michelle Meades
Apr 22, 2012 Michelle Meades rated it it was amazing
great book about second chances with lots of good louisiana bayou folklore and ghosts
Diane
Jul 01, 2017 Diane rated it it was ok
Shelves: families, friendship
Shelby must go and live with the mother who walked out a year ago. Mom lives in the swamp and many call her a "swamp witch" as she is a healer. Shelby's first day at school, she is convinced to play a dangerous game on the waterfront.
Krisgtran2005
Jul 19, 2017 Krisgtran2005 rated it really liked it
I wasn't instantly hooked, but as I continued reading it got more and more interesting.
Zoe
Mar 09, 2017 Zoe added it
Recommends it for: anyone
My review is for the book circle of secrets By:Kimberley griffiths little
In this book The main character shelbey is sent to the bayou to live with her mother while her father stays with her sick grandmother.The conflict of this story is that shelby meets a very interesting girl who slowly leads her to believe that something strange is going on in the bayou. The little girl (Gwen) lives in an old abandoned house that shelby’s mom has told her never to go to. All of the secrets and mysterious plac
Taylor
Feb 26, 2017 Taylor rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD I'VE READ IT 7 TIMES LITERALLY
I PLAN ON READING IT ONCE EVERY FALL AT LEAST
I ALSO GOT A CHARM BRACELET FROM THE BOOK FROM THE AUTHOR HERSELF
I LOVE THIS
ITS AMAZING
dont let Jenna touch it though
she said she read it
back off
this is mine
hiss
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – I have apparently read these books all out of order. But it’s okay because they make their own individual stories as well as stories combined to build a better story and a wonderful book world.

Shelby is a nearly twelve-old girl that has a lot on her plate. She hadn’t seen her Mom or been around her much in the past year and now she’s going to be living with her for six months. Her Dad has a job that is taking him out of country and her Grandma is in the hospital having hip surger
Michele
Jun 29, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
Kimberley Griffiths Little is a dear lady and a friend of mine from SCBWI-NM, and although I try to give a balanced, honest summary in my reviews, this one is especially important for me.

I have read "The Healing Spell" as well as this second book in Kimberley's bayou setting. Both books began a bit slowly for me. I think this is largely because I am a bit out of my favorite genre with these stories. Now I think there is another quality at play. I think both books are in the grip of their settin
Circle of Secrets 1 4 May 27, 2013 03:05PM
I LOVE THIS BOOK! 1 7 Nov 08, 2011 03:56PM
  • Nowhere Girl
  • Road to Tater Hill
  • Pretty Like Us
  • Jake's Tower
  • The Marble Queen
  • The Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice (The Black Ledge Series, #2)
  • The Orphan of Awkward Falls
  • Fetching
  • No Ordinary Day
  • Class Dismissed
  • The Lost Songs
  • Skeleton Island (Araminta Spookie, #7)
  • Winter Shadows
  • Losing It
Kimberley Griffiths Little was born in San Francisco, but now lives in New Mexico with her husband and their three sons.

For such award-winning middle grade novels as When the Butterflies Came, The Last Snake Runner, The Healing Spell, and Circle of Secrets, her writing has been praised as "fast-paced and dramatic," with "characters painted in memorable detail" and "beautifully realized settings."
More about Kimberley Griffiths Little...