Start by marking “Animal Land 1” as Want to Read:
Animal Land 1

Animal Land 1 (Animal Land #1)

In a world of animals where the strong eat the weak, Monoko the tanuki stumbles across a strange creature the likes of which has never been seen before– a human baby! While the newborn has no claws or teeth to protect itself, it does have the rare ability to speak to and understand all the different animals. Can Monoko and the baby team up to protect the tanuki pack from v ...more
Published August 16th 2011 by Kodansha Comics (first published March 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Land 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Land 1

Dolores
Feb 02, 2012 Dolores rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. I got this title from YALSA's Great Graphic Novel's 2012 list, and while this was only the first volume, I can't say I was overly impressed. It seems like there is potential here for a good story, but I admit that all these little Tanukis kind of look alike to me. That being said, I'm certainly willing to keep on reading. Frustrating similarities aside, I'm interested to see where this is going.
TheTinFoilHatter
Dec 16, 2016 TheTinFoilHatter rated it liked it
I'm not gonna lie, reading manga for the first time really did my head in. Both the pages and the panels are read from right to left, somethings that truly takes some getting used to.
This is one off-the-wall series, which in itself is definitely a good thing. The character designs range from harshly realistic to oddball strangeness, and the story they're cast into is much the same.
It's got a lot of problems, both the designs and the characters can be a bit too silly. The character of Pepper embo
Sinai C.
Jan 25, 2012 Sinai C. rated it liked it
Ok, so I know there is some loathing in connection to this book ^^" Sorry!!
But it gets 1.5 stars for drawing style. It's not always pretty...but I think that they are drawn very well! It's detailed and besides a few completely random panels that don't add anything to my existence, I feel like the drawing overall was a win! The baby is so darn cute!!!! <3 <3 And this style of sweating/tears is very expressive so I'm pretty fond of it. It's a bit odd, but well...to each his own, no?

Then an
Selena
Jun 05, 2016 Selena rated it liked it
So... this is certainly something. Something is nice. It's definitely something different.

So these weird humanoid tanuki things find an abandoned baby. Despite the fact their life sucks and "a few tanuki get eaten every month", they decide to raise this baby. At less than a year old, he becomes their Tarzan hero, able to talk to multiple species of critter (not a spoiler, that's on the back of the book).

The artwork is a bit quirky and odd, but that's kind of what I expect from Makoto Raiku. Thou
Yuki
May 05, 2013 Yuki rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, animals, manga
I had really high expectations for this book since the author, Makoto Raiku, wrote my fandom, Zatch Bell. So I have to read this whole series.
It dissapointed.
I mean it wasn't HORRIBLE like Naruto.
It's just that it was too much action, too fast. Like, EVERYTHING was a problem. Yes, I realize that the tanukis live in a land with dangerous animals, but seriously, can nothing be easy? Pepper reminds me of Purio, and they are both stupid. Bella is a creeper, and Monoko should stick with her son and b
Matthew
Sep 15, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
This one's hard to categorize, which is probably why I enjoyed it. The basic premise is that a woman puts her baby in a basket and drops it into the river. It's found by a group of Kanuki (a kind of fox/racoon animal in Japan) who decide to take care of it. What makes it odd is the weird mix of poop humor (and pretty graphic poop humor at that), cutesy art for the nice animals, scary-realistic art for the dangerous ones and this odd thread of nature being absolutely terrifying. It also has just ...more
R.A. Danger
I found the story to be more intersting then I thought it was going to be. The animals and humans (mention more then seen, unless one is counting the baby) seem to be living during a famine. The tanuki eat the fish, in turn they have to watchout for wildcats (my they are big) and other animals waiting to eat them. Monoko finds a baby (I'm thing Moses, here)and takes it in because she wants a family. The litle human baby learns their language and is able to read human (My that's quick, I wonder i ...more
Popo
Sep 04, 2014 Popo rated it it was amazing
A sentimental comic with super adorable artwork! Kind of reminded me of Osamu Tezuka's work in that sense. Monoko is kindhearted and persistent; her character really stood out to me, but I loved all the tanukis. They were so funny, they made me laugh out loud at times! Depicting the harshness of nature and contrasting it with comedy lead to a lot of cute character development. When the tanukis (view spoiler) I cried!!
Robin
Feb 24, 2016 Robin rated it liked it
A lot darker than what it appears to be. I wasn't expecting so much tragedy in a book that was also so silly at times. I'm kinda on the fence about reading more in this series. It's not a bad story, but there are some things about the baby that just don't jive with me.
Célia
Sep 03, 2014 Célia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
J'attendais beaucoup de choses de ce manga... que j'ai finalement trouvé insupportable ! Les animaux ne sont même pas mignons... les ratons laveurs (?) ne ressemblent à rien, et l'histoire qui aurait pu être intéressante n'a au final ni queue ni tête...
Jacque
Jacque rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Les
Les rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Shadowjac
Shadowjac rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2015
Jane Huber
Jane Huber rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Paulina
Paulina rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Garylikesmanga
Garylikesmanga rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Lillian Lermon
Lillian Lermon rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Ricardo
Ricardo rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Lizzie Sabo
Lizzie Sabo rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Muhammad Fadhil
Muhammad Fadhil rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Serene
Serene rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2012
Johnice
Johnice rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2012
Cin-Ru
Cin-Ru rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Maia
Maia rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Amends
Amends rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Neron
Neron rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012