Start by marking “Bargaining with the Devil: When to Negotiate, When to Fight” as Want to Read:
Bargaining with the Devil: When to Negotiate, When to Fight

Bargaining with the Devil: When to Negotiate, When to Fight

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  17 reviews
One of the country’s most eminent practitioners of the art and science of negotiation offers practical advice for the most challenging conflicts—when you are facing an adversary you don’t trust, who may harm you, or who you may even feel is evil. This lively, informative, emotionally compelling book identifies the tools one needs to make wise ...more
Published April 12th 2011 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bargaining with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bargaining with the Devil

james
I'm torn, because I liked this book for reasons very different than why I picked it up.

To begin with, I very much disliked almost all of Mnookin's analysis and discussion. I found it to be trite at best, and incorrect at worst. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I didn't like, but essentially Mnookin did not shy away from injecting his own personal opinions on whether people are evil, and he seemed to fall into some of the traps he described.

Mnookin also seems to love putting things into boxes,
Kevin Connery
Seemed to be decently written, but most of the book was stories about situations, and not the ethics behind them. The first couple of chapters were useful, and there were tidbits scattered throughout, but wading through hundreds of pages of history (Churchill, Eichmann, Fujitsu vs IBM, etc) turned what could have been an excellent *short* guide into a very bloated tome. My recommendation: If you’re interested in the topic, read the first 2 chapters at the bookstore or library, and skip the rest.
Michael Fortner
This book is kind of the next step up from "Getting to Yes" by Roger Fisher and William Ury. But in addition to teaching some core principles, it is also gives some great narratives of important events and people in history, including Winston Churchill’s negotiations with Hitler and Nelson Mandela's negotiations with F.W. de Klerk and the ANC. In all, a great read.
Lizzy
I didn't expect to like this, but I really did. It goes through some great examples of negotiation with evil - Britain and the Nazis, Nelson Mandela and de Klerk. It spends too much time on the author's own experience, but still it was a good read.
Excellent book on negotiation. A lot of real life examples as case studies on negotiation in matters ranging from International Politics to Family and Business disputes. Extremely well written and easy to read.
Andi Kuncoro
Profesor Mnookin adalah seorang profesor Hukum di Harvard University. Buku Bargaining with The Devil ini, menurut saya merupakan rekam jejak manifesto seorang pragmatis.

Keliru jika mengatakan bahwa ini sekedar buku "How-To" Negotiate. Lebih dan melampaui itu, buku ini adalah pemahaman komprehensif tentang bagaimana cara pikir seorang pragmatis.

Bagaimana cara pikir pragmatisme itu? Melalui berbagai kasus ia mencontohkan. Namun demikian, pada tiap bab contoh, terdapat algoritma yang seragam. Yakni
Danielle
So, one time in college I read a book (I had to look it up, because I'd completely forgotten the title), It was Leadership and Self-Deception. It's a type of business self-help book. What was eye-opening to me was the way the theories of the book were presented: through a story of a businessman being enlightened by a colleague. So, the whole book is a story, which makes it very readable, but the main character is just a stand-in for you, the unenlightened reader, and the colleague is, of course, ...more
Adhemar Filho
Nice but is not true and it can work for this moment of business world competition and values linguistic creation most of the histories is not all complete. The nazi fundament core believe is totally different about what RObert describe. Robert has not idea exactly what is politics in my opinion, the understand this books you must the understand the route of psychology perception and the genealogy of moral more philosophy, the book is pure politics bases on religious vocabulary where it give th ...more
Robin Winter
A good book with some interesting insights. Enjoyed the details of the historical examples and felt the author had an interesting humility -- he didn't fall into the error of believing he would have done better simply because he now has historical perspective.
Lynne Cantwell
I liked this book a lot. The bottom line is still that negotiation is worth a try in *most* circumstances. But even so, if you're dealing with a devil, you should have some alternatives in your back pocket.

I liked the case studies especially. So many of these types of books focus on the Middle East -- which, granted, is a great conflict for students of negotiation techniques, but I'm just not very interested in the topic (sorry...). Mnookin brings it closer to home by giving examples in the area
Melissa J.
I liked the way the author presented his points in a logical manner. There were seven case studies ranging from historical events such as Nelson Mandela's imprisonment to a couple's contentious divorce. After each case study was presented, Mr. Mnookin conducted an assessment of the case as well as the conclusions that could be drawn.

I liked his approach, but often got bogged down during the case presentation due to the volume of information and technical language.
Adriana
Excelente libro, con anecdotas e historias que sirven como ejemplos motivadores y ademas entretenidos. La manera de redacción fue sin duda la mejor para presentar un tema de negocios, ya que la gente no acostumbrada al tema puede leer sin problemas. Recomendado ampliamente.
Assaad
A very good book about negotiation with 8 great examples from different situations. when to negotiate with the devil and when to fight back. It covers a wide range of situations, and shows different traps one might fall into while negotiating. Highly recommended!
Siamak Fereidooni
That was a pretty good book in negotiation, however, I did not like the last chapter, it was not somehow realistic. Read it without being bios.
Kyle
For anyone who spends a lot of time in adversarial negotiation... This has already helped me think through some tough situations.
Matthew Sutton
great case studies but a little light on useful principles.
Craig
This book would be incredibly helpful in establishing a framework to mediate any conflict. What I appreciate most about the author is that he is not a negotiating ideologue; he allows for circumstances where mediation or negotiation are not called for, in which case one must fight.
Jerry
Jerry is currently reading it
Oct 27, 2014
Logan Key
Logan Key marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Monk
Monk is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Timo
Timo marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Carmen
Carmen added it
Sep 30, 2014
Sebastiaan Heunis
Sebastiaan Heunis marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Darius
Darius marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Abi
Abi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • The Only Three Questions That Count: Investing by Knowing What Others Don't
  • Shoptimism: Why the American Consumer Will Keep on Buying No Matter What
  • Heaven: Our Enduring Fascination with the Afterlife
  • Power Trip: From Oil Wells to Solar Cells---Our Ride to the Renewable Future
  • The Secrets of Economic Indicators: Hidden Clues to Future Economic Trends and Investment Opportunities
  • Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Modern Medical Breakthroughs
  • Intelligent Thought: Science versus the Intelligent Design Movement
  • Dealing with Difficult People: 24 Lessons for Bringing Out the Best in Everyone
  • Gusher of Lies: The Dangerous Delusions of "Energy Independence"
  • Automatic Wealth: The Six Steps to Financial Independence
  • Have a Nice Doomsday: Why Millions of Americans Are Looking Forward to the End of the World
  • Rich Dad's Real Estate Advantages: Tax and Legal Secrets of Successful Real Estate Investors
  • The Real Price of Everything: Rediscovering the Six Classics of Economics
  • Rivals: How the Power Struggle Between China, India and Japan Will Shape Our Next Decade
  • The Intuitive Way: A Guide to Living from Inner Wisdom
  • A Beginner's Guide to Day Trading Online
  • Shock of Gray: The Aging of the World's Population and How it Pits Young Against Old, Child Against Parent, Worker Against Boss, Company Against Rival, and Nation Against Nation
  • The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" in Austin
Bargaining with the Devil: When to Negotiate, When to Fight: When to Negotiate, When to Fight