100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories
read excerpt* *Different edition

100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Now readers have a new reason to be afraid. One hundred new reasons! Bram Stoker Finalist for Best Collection of 2004.
Published April 30th 2004 by Raw Dog Screaming Press (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Jolts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Jolts

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
453rd out of 1,610 books — 1,278 voters
Vacation by Jeremy C. ShippJohn Dies at the End by David WongHELP!  A Bear is Eating Me! by Mykle HansenSatan Burger by Carlton Mellick IIIApeshit by Carlton Mellick III
Bizarro
149th out of 207 books — 165 voters

More lists with this book...

Rich
Single author flash collections are either rare, or from the small press, so that they're hard to get a hold of. There are more than a couple of excuses for this, but I'll limit myself to one. Collections of poetry has been, with notable exceptions, the work of the academic press -- places like Carnigie Mellon Press or the University of Pittsburgh Press, just to name two. Poetry doesn't sell well these days. You can't build snappy marketing slogans around a book of poetry, and a collection of mi...more
Scott Emerson
Simply put, the best single-author collection of flash fiction I've ever read. (Gee, qualify much?) Michael Arnzen remains one of my favorite genre practitioners and 100 JOLTS is a prime representative of his strengths, a cross-section of surrealism, experimentalism, pitch-black humor, pop culture deconstruction, and wickedly clever wordplay.

More impressive than the volume of stories is the fact that just about every one is a winner; highlights include "Obictionary," a deceptively playful tribu...more
Heidi Miller
One stormy night...well, it wasn't stormy, but six of us did stay up all night, taking turns reading these flashes of horror. Everyone had their own favorite. I fluctuated between 'Stretch' (which few people can read all in one breath) and 'Brain Candy' (which is so good it's used as a back cover blurb).

It's also great to read with a flashlight around a campfire.

Of course, now that some of these were made into the movie EXQUISITE CORPSE, you can see some of the images inspired by the book. (With...more
Jan 07, 2014 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who don't have a lot of time, horror fans
100 whip-smart stories that will horrify, amuse and gross you out. This book is great for people who only have time to read for short bits but it gives a lot of food for thought. Arnzen comes up with one crazy idea after the next from vignettes to complete stories in a couple pages or less. My favorites include "Stabbing for Dummies" a great self-help piece and "Skull Fragments", 13 inter-related pieces about skulls.

Note: I edited this book
Erica
I first read this in my Horror Fiction class... I love it! Truly, Arnzen is the master of horror flash fiction! Short, sweet and to the point! Oh and slightly disturbing.. but I like disturbing...
Screamingbutterfly
Feb 22, 2008 Screamingbutterfly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of horror and flash
Great collection of 100 pieces of horror flash fiction. Quality flash fiction is very difficult to write, but Arnzen succeeds, most of the time.
Craig
This is a very nice collection of 100 very short horror stories. There was a big fuss made over the notion of labeling them as "flash" stories because of their length, but I didn't see anything different with these than Harlan Ellison did with MIND FIELDS almost twenty years ago, or what Fredric Brown did with his short-short stories back in the 1950s. Anyway, the current book is quite well done. The stories are very, very densely written, and several of them felt more like poetry than prose. I...more
TK421
I love flash fiction...if done properly. For the most part, these stories lacked the needed oomph to make me feel something about the story. Sure there was the shock element; but shock gets old if there is not anything else to accompany it. Gary Braunbeck declares that "Arnzen can rightfully claim his place as the Donald Barthelme of horror." I don't see it. For me, this collection is nowhere near the caliber of Barthelme.

Deana
Feb 01, 2011 Deana is currently reading it
Dr. Arnzen is not only a great teacher but he is also a wicked author. He is my inspiration for why i write with the style i do now. One brillant mind to another....we're both brilliant!
Mike Mehalek
Michael Arnzen's 100 Jolts is a must for all readers and writers alike. Arnzen uses the language to create beautiful images that are sometime funny, sometimes sad, often gross, and always original. Stories can be enjoyed at the surface or you can delve deeper to find more meaning. At only a few hundred words a piece (or much less in some cases), this is remarkable. It shows us that horror writing can be tight and poignant and literary despite the "bad rap" that horror often gets.

The only way thi...more
Meaghan
Meh. Many of these stories were quite good, I suppose, but horror fiction has never been my thing. If you do like horror stories, you will probably like these.
Kevin Sweeney
Kevin Sweeney marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Michael
Feb 13, 2014 Michael added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
C.V. Hunt
C.V. Hunt marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Arnella
Arnella marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Byron Kastilahn
Byron Kastilahn marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Madeline Monaco
Madeline Monaco marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Arnzen has won multiple awards for his fiction, including four Bram Stoker Awards and the International Horror Guild Award. He teaches horror and suspense writing at Seton Hill University, as faculty in their unique MFA degree program in Writing Popular Fiction.

To catch up with Arnzen or hunt down collectable editions, visit the author's website, GORELETS.COM and sign up for his award-winn...more
More about Michael A. Arnzen...
Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction Play Dead Grave Markings Licker Proverbs for Monsters