Start by marking “Paradise Dogs” as Want to Read:
Paradise Dogs

Paradise Dogs

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Adam Newman once had it all. But then he lost it.
Now Adam yearns to reunite with his estranged wife, Evelyn, and recapture the Edenic life they once had running Paradise Dogs, the roadside hot-dog restaurant now legendary throughout central Florida.
He has a few obstacles along the way. For starters, there’s his impending marriage to Lily. There’s also the matter of a quar
Published June 7th 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published May 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Dogs

Jesse Christiansen
Mar 18, 2013 Jesse Christiansen rated it it was amazing
When it comes to tasting literature, until now, I must confess that I have, in general, been hopelessly marooned in The Ivory Tower like some misguided, over-educated, haughty brother of Rapunzel, waiting for a contemporaneous, under-recognized author to arrive and and free me from my tower dungeon of ignorance with his or her beautiful words. I was somehow suffering under the delusion that great literature only came from places the likes of, "Posthumous Island," "Bestseller Bay," or "Pulitzervi ...more
Ray
Jun 01, 2014 Ray rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books-read
It's a sled. No, actually, it's a restaurant, although you never actually set foot inside it, the place having been flipped in the early pre-Disney days of the central Florida land boom and run into the ground before this story even gets going. But it's enough a part of the past of the protagonists, Adam and Evelyn (see what he did there?), to merit the title, the front cover and a good part of the backstory.

Adam is mostly who you get, coming in, in terms of speaking-voice time, just ahead of th
Aaron Andrew Delcourt
Apr 25, 2011 Aaron Andrew Delcourt rated it really liked it
The Video review: http://dft.ba/-paradisedogs

"Paradise Dogs" is about Adam Newman, who wants to get back together with his wife Evelyn. He has a compulsive habit to lie about his identity to help people that need professional expertise. He goes to the extent of delivering a baby in the back of a car. Saying his name is Dr. Bateman. In addition, he forgets these occurrences regularly and find himself confused when people thank him. Adam delusional personality and eventually develops a conspiracy
Chris
Dec 19, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
As a fellow teacher, in the same school system I really had high hopes for this book and was looking foward to reading it. What a disappointmnet. To Martin's credit his figurative language is excellent. Great imagery and metaphors. I often read a page several times just to enjoy the word play. But the characters were confusing and difficult to warm up to. It was also difficult to follow the plot since names seemed too similar, not ditinctive enough. (I always thought Dickens got it right, when h ...more
Jun 06, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
I won this book on Library Thing's early review copy and I found it hard to follow. The book is set in the 60's and has a few main characters. Adam Newman is yearning to reunite with his estranged wife and recapture what they once had when they ran their legendary hot dog restaurant. I did find some things in this book cute, for the most part was rather shifty to say the least. Adam is somewhat of an eccentric character, which is to a degree a bit delusional in assuming other peoples identities. ...more
Christina
Mar 23, 2015 Christina rated it did not like it
Wow...horrible. The only reason I finished it was because I was stuck somewhere with time to kill and nothing else to read. Probably one of the worst books i have ever read.
Calvin
Jul 30, 2012 Calvin rated it it was amazing
Man Martin was a cartoonist for the school paper at Georgia College in Milledgeville when I started attending there. It was therefore gladness of heart for a fellow alumnus that led me to acquire this, his second novel. But it was good, solid writing and a wonderful plot, at turns quirky and deadpan, that kept me going. For all its description, both in the text itself and on the book's jacket, of where and when the story was set, I was still surprised when some of the secrets were revealed, laug ...more
Lea
Apr 16, 2011 Lea rated it liked it
FirstReads review: Adam Newman is engaged to Lily, and fighting to get back together with his ex-wife Evelyn. This adventure, coupled with Adam's impersonations - for being a doctor, lawyer, minister, etc - and a conspiracy that could involve national security lead us on a wild goose chase through Central Florida. Adam is helped by his reluctant son, Addison, and many other colorful characters. The story was a little hard to follow for the first few chapters, once all the characters were establi ...more
Linda Marie
Jul 12, 2015 Linda Marie rated it did not like it
I was excited to read this book because it was a pick of my book club. I was disappointed with the plot, characters and flow. It started out slow and never improved.
Will
Jan 22, 2016 Will rated it did not like it
Absolutely unreadable. I don't know why, but I just couldn't stand it.
Paula Hebert
Feb 03, 2012 Paula Hebert rated it liked it
did you ever hear about the guy who would fall into a manure pile and come out smelling like a rose? well, you will meet him in this book. the protagonist, an aging divorced alcoholic, manages to ruin everything around him and yet at the same time manages to turn defeats into victories without knowing what he is doing. extremely funny, with unbelievable slapstick scenes (I didn't even know writing slapstick was possible). paradise dogs is good medicine for a down day.
Erik Dewey
Jan 13, 2012 Erik Dewey rated it really liked it
A fun book about a marginally functional alcoholic and his crusade to find a lost treasure, unravel a communist conspiracy, help his son land the girl of his dreams, and reunite with his ex-wife.

It doesn't go to plan, any of it really, but the journey is fun and satisfying. The writing does a great job of not only carrying the story forward, but making it belivable withing the confines of the lates 60s Florida the book is set in.

A fun read that I really enjoyed.
Dan
Apr 24, 2011 Dan rated it liked it
Adam Newman wants to reunite with his ex-wife and will do anything to get the girl. This slapstick comedy of errors is set in 1960s Florida and has so much ridiculous situations you don’t know whether to laugh or cry for the hero of this story. Don’t try to understand the plot (missing diamonds, land speculation, Communists and Walt Disney?); just enjoy the comedy of errors!
Sara
Apr 20, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
This is a good, quick read that requires less mental work than what I've been reading lately. This provided a nice, refreshing break for me. Humor is sprinkled throughout the entire thing. I have an uncorrected proof, so I easily overlooked the few typos I noticed. A few things seemed contrived or too easy, but overall I felt it to be believable. A good beach read.
Katherine Helms
I am partial to Man Martin's work because he is a family friend. He is a fabulous story teller (as his his sister Chris). I have watched audiences become immediately absorbed in his stories. I recommend his written work, but even better, treat yourself to an even where he will be reading/story telling. Charming mad funny.
Mark Rippy
Jan 14, 2013 Mark Rippy rated it liked it
This book has some hilarious moments, particularly regarding the nefarious group purchasing land around central Florida. But, the story line gets spread in too many directions and doesn't come together well at the end.
Julie
Jul 27, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
A great summer read. A delusional hero who gets into impossible situations and works his way out, his quirky family, and the 60's: what more do you need?
Danielle
May 01, 2011 Danielle rated it did not like it
Wow. This was REALLY hard to get through. Just a ridiculous bunch of bound pages. Sorry, can't pass this "puppy" along to anyone.
Alan
Aug 04, 2012 Alan rated it liked it
Straining to be "quirky" and only sometimes succeeding. For a better book on the same theme, read "In Cahoots" by Malcolm MacPherson.
David Gardner
Mar 15, 2011 David Gardner marked it as to-read
If this book is half as entertaining as Martin's last book ("Days of the Endless Corvette"), it's going to be an absolutel Must-Read.
Marti Lawrence
Apr 09, 2012 Marti Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Funny and well written, with quirky characters and an interesting twist at the end!
Teresa
Jan 25, 2012 Teresa rated it liked it
Pretty cute book about pre Disney Florida. Quirky Adam character would transfer great to a movie treatment.
Tfeenstra
Jan 25, 2012 Tfeenstra rated it really liked it
Fast paced book and interesting story. Takes place in Florida before it became so popular!
Kim
Jul 25, 2011 Kim rated it did not like it
Just couldn't get into it. Really confusing at the beginning for me.
Charlie
Sep 27, 2012 Charlie rated it liked it
Good, funny
Cookie
Cookie rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Joe Davich
Joe Davich marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jasmine Holloman
Jasmine Holloman marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Kim Freitas
Kim Freitas rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Authors...: STOOPID Contest 2 9 Dec 31, 2011 08:44PM
THE JAMES MASON C...: New STOOPID CONTEST 1 4 Dec 31, 2011 03:30AM

“I hate when people say "quote" when what they really mean is "quotation." How's that for a quote?” 3 likes