Start by marking “Dolores Claiborne” as Want to Read:
Dolores Claiborne

Dolores Claiborne

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  88,641 Ratings  ·  1,409 Reviews
À Little Tall, on ne sais toujours pas exactement ce qui s'est passé il y a trente ans, et si l'accident qui, le jour de l'éclipse, a coûté la vie au mari de Dolores Claiborne était vraiment un accident...

Aujourd'hui, la vieille dame indigne est à nouveau soupçonnée : la riche et sénile Vera Donovan, dont elle est la gouvernante depuis des décennies, vient d'être découvert
Published November 6th 1996 by Pocket (first published November 1992)

The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
30th out of 122 books — 2,699 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
139th out of 5,436 books — 12,065 voters

More lists with this book...

Trudi
Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to.
~Dolores Claiborne
Meet Dolores Claiborne -- island woman, mother of three, murderess and overall high-riding bitch. And I love her! She is strength and smarts and dignity personified and in my opinion, one of the most vivid and memorable literary creations ever to walk the pages of any book. I don't say that lightly. Yes I'm a fan, yes I'm gushing, but this is also a more tempered, critical evaluation after living with her existence t
Brad
Apr 04, 2016 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fascinating story and such a strong voice. Since this story is pretty much an obvious one, centered on what appears to be a solid who-done-it, it's just the devil in the details where we have to place all our attention.

Will this be a rubbernecking event? Or is an obviously guilty woman obviously and truly guilty with the crime she is being accused of?

Truly, the story is a lot more complex and interesting than any first glance, and more than anything, we're meant to get in deep within Dolores's s
❀Julie
Dec 04, 2015 ❀Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little gem. I did a mixture of reading and listening to the audiobook and the narrator was fantastic. I think what makes it stand out is the unique format of the story, which was Dolores giving her testimony to the police after her employer died in her care. I wasn’t sure I would like the structure of it being one long chapter but it was so compelling that it worked well. I was drawn in from the very beginning with this woman’s charming dialect and wit, and how she could possibly ...more
Arah-Lynda
Jul 27, 2014 Arah-Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arah-Lynda by: Trudi
Shelves: top, i-said
I have been sitting in a room having a little snack, while I A Dance with Dragons, listening to Dolores tell me her story.

It’s a confession really.

About her husband and what happened during that eclipse. About her employer but; mostly, and most importantly, about herself: as a woman, and a wife, and a mother.

It is a very chilling tale, told by today’s master of the craft.

The bell resonates.

I fell into her voice and found myself in that small town, on that little island, off the coast of Maine w
Catie
Sep 24, 2011 Catie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catie by: Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I haven’t read very many from Stephen King (well, okay, I’ve read nine but seven of those were Dark Tower books). This is the least supernatural, most realistic of his that I’ve read. Yeah, there’s a teeny smidge of the supernatural in this book (which really, wasn’t at all necessary, but maybe he just can’t help himself), but the majority of the material here comes from cold, stark reality. It’s still completely frightening and gruesome, but in a subtle and restrained way that I really love.

Th
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to.”

One of King's greatest talents is in his writing of characters, making them come across as realistic paper-people with sympathetic emotions and believable motivations. Dolores Claiborne is a work of art - she's not the typical heroine that carries a novel with her beauty, intelligence, station in life, or luck of fate. Instead she's average with her life but takes herself up a notch, makes herself stand out by standing strong in the fa
Ruth Turner
Jun 26, 2015 Ruth Turner rated it it was amazing

Audiobook – Narrated by Frances Sternhagen – Excellent Narration.

Written as one chapter, this is the story of Dolores Claiborne who is suspected of murdering her wealthy employer.

Instead, during one long night, in a police interview, she confesses to murdering her husband 30 years ago.

The story goes back in time as she tells about the woman she worked for and is suspected of killing, about her marriage and her violent and abusive husband, and her life on Little Tall Island.

I’ve read the book on
Edward Lorn
Nov 10, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I managed to reread Dolores Claiborne in under 24 hours. I was thirteen when I first read it, and even then it only took three days. With no chapter breaks and one of the best vernacular-heavy voices King's ever taken on, this book's engine very nearly purrs. Dolores Claiborne is, in my opinion, Stephen King's most well-delivered story. There's zero filler, and that's unheard of where King's concerned. The book is so succinct that the movie version actually had to add more content instead of cut ...more
Andreas
Mar 11, 2016 Andreas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ultra Geil*__*
Carol
Another UNPUTDOWNABLE read by Stephen King. As Dolores Claiborne narrates her story of murder, abuse and revenge to authorities (without any chapter breaks), I stayed totally engrossed. You will despise her evil husband and love her entertaining dialogue with Vera as they become friends.

As I had recently read Gerald's Game, I thought the eerie connection of two unrelated women who experience terror(view spoiler) during the total eclipse added to the suspe

Τζο
Jan 01, 2016 Τζο rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Όταν ποσταρε μια γνωστή μου οτι θελει να πουλησει την κόπια της στην σελίδα του Facebook με ανταλλαγές και πωλήσεις μεταχειρισμένων βιβλιων,ετρεξα να το προλαβω.Ηθελα πολυ καιρο να το διαβασω αλλα σκεφτομουν οτι εχω ηδη πολλα αδιαβαστα βιβλια του Κινγκ και το εβαζα παλι πισω στο ραφι του βιβλιοπωλειου.Δεν με απογοητεύσε,ισα-ισα και ολας που με έκανε να πιστέψω ακομα περισσότερο στην ικανότητα του Κινγκ να γραψει ενα καλο,contemporary βιβλιο με κεντρική ηρωιδα μια γυναικα.

Και τι γυναικα ειναι η D
Book Concierge
Feb 15, 2016 Book Concierge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Book Concierge by: Clara Zukrow
5***** and a

The entire novel is told by Dolores Claiborne in her sworn statement to the investigating police. Her employer of 40 years has died in a tragic accident … or did Dolores kill her? Dolores doesn’t pull any punches, she tells us on page two that she did not kill Vera Donovan (though Vera deserved killing, more than once … she was a high-riding bitch). No, Dolores did nothing to hasten old Mrs Donovan’s ending … but she did kill her husband, Joe St George, twenty-nine years ago.

Ki
Janie Johnson
Nov 17, 2014 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This was the first book I chose to read for the Spookfest Read-A-Thon and one of the few I have not read of Stephen King's works. Let me first say that this is not a horror book as I first thought it would be coming from Stephen King. It is, in a way, a mix of historical fiction and mystery. I loved that and I have to say that it was very engaging, very fluid and easy to read. King tells a very powerful tale with this book.

In this book we have a woman named Delores Claiborne, whose husband died
Thomas Strömquist
"There are some times in a person's life that don't have no real minutes in em, so you can't count em up"

When questioned by the police about the death of her employer, Dolores Claiborne answers in a way that no-one would have imagined. Two officers and one stenographer then listens as she tells her story - and what an amazing story it is! No chapters and almost exclusively one long monologue, heavily accented and often uncouth, I enjoyed this very much! The thrilling and mystifying tie-ins to th
Davor Petričević
"DOLORES, PONEKAD JE POTREBNO BITI GADURA DA BI PREŽIVJELA"

Prošlo je više od godinu dana kada sam se zadnji puta družio s imaginacijom velikog gospodina Kinga, tako da je bilo vrijeme da ponovno zavirim u njegov uvrnuti mozak. Kao i uvijek, nisam se prevario jer sam dobio jednu vrlo dobru priču o disfunkcionalnoj obitelji, koja nema fantastičnih elemenata pa time spada u, kako ja to volim reći, obična Kingova djela.

Radnja započinje kada se glavna protagonistica Dolores sprema ispričati svoju pri
Shaun
Mar 30, 2014 Shaun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was a little different from other works that I've read by Stephen King. Kind of a trumped up monologue, it's more of a "why-done-it" suspense/psychological thriller than a spine-tingling horror.

Ultimately it's a story that explores the complexity of human relationships, motivation, and disappointment using well-drawn, layered, and interesting characters that border on caricatures--in other words, the kind of book I love.

The dialect/dialogue is also quite impressive, even if occasionally a l
Jun 21, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
According to a book of Stephen King criticism that I recently didn't finish reading because it was by and large total nonsense, some of Mr. King's squillion readers complained in the late 80s when people got concerned about these things that he didn't really DO women characters -- anodyne props, madonna/whore, blah blah blah. Being Stephen King, he apparently responded by saying "Then I shall write Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game." While I don't think that child molestation and abusive husba ...more
Franco  Santos
Jul 08, 2015 Franco Santos rated it liked it
Shelves: stephen-king
Muchas veces ser una cabrona es lo único a lo que una mujer desesperada puede aferrarse.

Es un libro diferente de King. Es un drama muy desgarrador. Es increíble la capacidad de este autor para tocar las cuerdas más ocultas de nuestros corazones.

Me encariñé muchísimo con Dolores Claiborne. Y obviamente Vera Donovan... Es uno de los mejores personajes jamás creados por King, en mi opinión.

En algunas partes se me hizo bastante pesado, sin embargo esta novela me tocó el alma.

Tiene un final muy f
Brian Hodges
Jun 11, 2008 Brian Hodges rated it it was amazing
This is the Stephen King book that I recommend to anyone who says they don't like horror books. Simply put, this is the story of a woman who kills her husband... I'm not giving anything away, you know this from the first few pages. This is as good as any suspense novel you'll find, but with real, true character development that makes you care about the protagonist, sympathize with her decision and feel genuinely sick to your stomach as she prepares to do the evil deed.

I tore through this one in
Sarah Anne
Apr 02, 2016 Sarah Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah Anne by: Nathan
This was a really interesting book. I think what I loved most is that the whole story is Dolores's confession to the police. It starts out with her saying she understands her rights and then she just tells her story. The story never goes from any other POV, it's simply her confession. She goes back and forth in time a bit but it's never confusing. It was actually really well done. And the narration on the audio!!! It was phenomenal. And I finally know how to pronounce "Ayuh".

It starts with Dolor
Clare Bear
Feb 16, 2008 Clare Bear rated it it was amazing
Unlike most King novels I believe, this does not include anything supernatural. It is an interesting story told by the title character in the form of an unbroken monologue. A hard-working abused mother of one, Dolores starts her story where she is being accused of the murder of her long time, aged wealthy employer Vera Donovan, with suspicions also about the disappearance of Dolores' no good sleaze bag husband.

There are some great lines in this book, as Dolores and Vera's working relationship mo
11811 (Eleven)
Apr 22, 2015 11811 (Eleven) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I somehow skipped this one when I was growing up. That was a mistake. I didn't see the movie yet either but I'll remedy that this weekend. This is a little shorter than the average King novel but I still loved it. If you like Stephen King at all you'll probably like this. Recommended.
Sue Smith
Dec 17, 2015 Sue Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King understands that horror isn't always blood and gore. It's passion and intensity ... and flares like a lit match in the dark.

My decision to read this one was a mix of reasons. A). It was coming onto Halloween and it's always great to read something that makes you uncomfortable. B). Dolores Claiborne has been gracing my shelves for - well - for awhile, waiting. (For some reason, I always feel the need to brace myself before jumping into the horror genre. A lot). C). I was ready.

I love
Τζο
Nov 16, 2015 Τζο rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Και τι γυναικα ειναι η D
Katie
May 02, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It amuses me, a little bit, that the first Stephen King novel I ever read was the one least sunk in the supernatural.

I don't think I was aware, really, of how much of Stephen King's work was built into our pop culture when I first picked this up out of my grandmother's book pile during a "camping trip" when I was twelve or so. I hate camping, always have, but as a child, your interests in such things mean much less to your parents. Regardless, camping with my grandparents was actually hanging o
Stepheny
This was a tough call for me. I almost rated this a 3 for 3.5 but I'm thinking it was much closer to a 4. I didn't really know what to expect with this one and even when I started it found myself wondering where he was going with it and why it was so loved by so many. Then it took me on an emotional roller coaster. I found myself laughing out loud, crying, cringing, chewing my lips in nervousness while my heart raced a mile a minute and clenching my fist in frustration. If there is one thing in ...more
Tudor Vlad
May 29, 2016 Tudor Vlad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tudor by: Teo
Misery mi-a placut enorm, Dolores Claiborne mi-a placut si mai mult. Trebuie sa citesc mai mult de King.
Sam Quixote
SPOILERS

Dolores Claiborne is being questioned by police over the death of her employer, Vera Donovan, who broke her back falling down the stairs - or was she pushed? But as Dolores tells her story, it turns out she is responsible for a death, just not Vera's.

Stephen King chose to write this novel in the first person voice of Dolores who speaks in a very folksy, colloquially New England style, and it's up to the reader whether or not this voice is something you can handle or not as it goes on fo
Kathryn
Such a powerful book. I love the way King addresses women's issues in his books. He does them very well.

This about Dolores, a woman who has a pretty rough life. Her husband is a drunk, an abuser, and just a dead beat. Dolores works for a wealthy woman as a housekeeper, and makes ends meet somehow for her family.

Dolores learns of a very disturbing revelation about her husband, and seeks the ultimate revenge.

Even though Dolores performs some bad acts, her story is powerful and memorable. A must
Jenny
Feb 29, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
""Μερικές φορές αναγκάζεσαι να είσαι μια αλαζονική σκύλα για να επιβιώσεις",λέει."Μερικές φορές,το να είναι μια αλαζονική σκύλα, είναι το μόνο που απομένει σε μια γυναίκα."Και μετά έκλεισε την πόρτα...αλλά την έκλεισε απαλά."

Το βιβλίο αυτό είναι ολόκληρο ένας μονόλογος της Ντολόρες-μάλλον όχι μονόλογος,η εξιστόρηση μιας σειράς γεγονότων στην αστυνομία,με μας στη θέση των αστυνομικών,καθώς χρησιμοποιεί το β' πρόσωπο και είναι η μοναδική τα λεγόμενα της οποίας διαβάζουμε.Δυσκολεύτηκα λίγο στην αρχ
  • Blaze
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Coldheart Canyon
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Mine
More about Stephen King...

“Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to.” 1721 likes