Start by marking “Stalking the Divine” as Want to Read:
Stalking the Divine
Preview

Stalking the Divine

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  24 reviews
One lonely Christmas morning, Kristin Ohlson wandered into a downtown Cleveland church for mass. Once there, she was moved by the traditions of her childhood, but more than that, her curiosity was captured by a group of cloistered nuns. They were the Poor Clares a tiny, threadbare congregation of elderly nuns with one mission: to pray day and night for the sorrows of the w ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Plume (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Stalking the Divine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalking the Divine

Caren
I picked up this book because I recently read an interesting essay written by Kristin Ohlson and thought I'd like to see what else she had written. (The essay, by the way, about memories in childhood, is here:
http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/wh... )

From the cover, I see that this book won an American Society of Journalists & Authors Nonfiction Book award. The book was published more than ten years ago (in 2003). The author, who had been raised Catholic, had moved away from any church-going
Jen
I am not at all above checking out and reading books solely based on their titles or illustrations. This is a memoir, of sorts, mixed with a telling of the history of the Poor Clare order. Ohlson recounts her own various encounters of stalking faith (this really is quite a good description of it) after having stumbled into a Christmas Mass looking for something rather less tangible in her life. She works with and interviews the nuns of the convent, trying to use their faith to construct any of h ...more
Beryl
Kristin Ohlson stumbled onto the Poor Clares at just the right moment. It was Christmas morning and she was feeling bereft. A former Catholic who no longer believed in God, she impulsively decided to attend Mass at a church where she could hear the Poor Clares singing. Thus begins this intriguing saga of a search for faith and a newspaper story.

I would call this Divine Providence. Others might call it serendipity. Ohlson needed inspiration, and the Poor Clares needed the attention her journalis
MichelleMarie
This book was not at all what I expected but I enjoyed it just the same. Rather than being didactic it was more of a personal journey of an ex-catholic returning to faith.
More than anything I enjoyed the glimpse into the lives of the Poor Clares. I often tell my husband that if I didn't have him or children I would become a nun. Learning about their (often very strict ways) fascinates me... alientating themselves from the world in order to be more intimate with God. The Poor Clares are especial
Lisa Lewis
One day in Goodwill this book jumped off the shelf at me. Not literally, but the subtitle, "Contemplating faith with the Poor Clares" caught my attention. Having only recently learned of this order of Catholic nuns, a female branch of the Fransiscans (some of my favorite religious order folks), I was curious to learn more.
The book is partly a somewhat typical spiritual memoir, with the author describing her process of seeking God and maybe, but not quite, finding Him. The really interesting qual
While Stalking the Divine offers readers a glimpse of the secret lives of cloistered nuns, this book is just as much about author Kristin Ohlson's search for authentic faith. She certainly doesn't try to hide that.

I found Ohlson's honesty refreshing. As a Christian, I appreciate occasional reminders about how devotion to God and Jesus Christ appears to folks who arenât quite as sure as I like to think I am. Truth is, we all have room to grow in our knowledge, understanding and experience of fait
Kate
Mar 17, 2008 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone interested in cloistered nuns
Shelves: memoirs
Havilah
I have always been fascinated by religion, so I knew that I would be interested in a book that delves into faith, especially that of an order of nuns that are as devout as these. I really enjoyed the book. There were parts that started to lose me, but for the most part it was an interesting look at woman who give up their lives for their faith and who devote themselves to praying for all of us. Even while I write this, the nuns of this order are praying for me and you. Interesting...
Bethany Fehlinger
"Stalking the Divine" wasn't what I expected, but it was a well-written book. As a journalist and Catholic, I partially related to Kristin. I love how she tied in her feelings bad perspectives, the stories of the nuns and some history and book quotes. If you ever questioned your Catholic faith or upbringing, I think "Stalking the Divine" is a good read.
Anne
The story of a lapsed Catholic unexpectedly rediscovering her faith when she stumbles upon the Saint Paul Shrine, a little-known cloister of Poor Clare nuns in Cleveland. The story is intriguing both as an exploration of faith (what is faith, and how does one find it in oneself?) and as a study of the cloister. The mini-profiles of some of the sisters and what brought them to the monastery in the first place is fascinating.
Katherine
I've seen this book on my parents' bookshelf for years and was inspired to pick it up and read it thanks to a recent visit to a Cistercian Monastery. I am fascinated by the lives of those who've devoted themselves to God, and this memoir/investigative journalism piece provided a window into an order of religious women that I hadn't heard of before, the Poor Clares.
Julie M
Good glimpse of this Order of 'Poor Claires' - nuns in Cleveland who spend their entire existence in prayer for the world--that is their only calling. As far as the author's search to recapture her own spirituality, well, that's HER journey -- I was unintentionally less interested in THAT as I neared the end of this book.
Catherine
Kristin Ohlson shares her experiences interviewing the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration, a group of cloistered nuns in Cleveland. Unfortunately, I didn't really learn very much about the subjects, other than the obvious, which was the Poor Clare's love and devotion to God.
Michelle
It's a book about nuns and their austere life, which is so not what I'm about, and yet I found myself drawn to it and drawn to the simplicity that they found for themselves. It was very well crafted, and I felt like a better person after I read it.
A memoir of the author's crisis of faith interwoven with the history of the Poor Clares, a group of nuns, interwoven with stories of a group of Poor Clares living in Cleveland.
Natasha
May 03, 2008 Natasha is currently reading it
i'm only a couple of chapters in , but so far i like it because i can relate to this author's feeling of being both inextricably connected to and hopelessly alienated from faith.
Christy
This book follows one woman's search for understanding and meaning. It's not overtly or annoyingly religious, but explores the theme of spirituality and faith.
Cindy
Mediocre account of local author's research into the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration, at St. Paul's at East 40th and Euclid Avenus.
Emma
Kristin Ohlson studies the Poor Clares and her outsider/insider views of religion and spirituality bring a new perspective.
Teddie
I loved this book. The author writes well and I felt as if I knew this sisters by the way the author wrote.
Lisa
I appreciate honesty, and the author of this book was honest in her belief and struggle with belief.
Lauren
I loved this and read it when Kristen was still on Readerville. Great book.
Amy
Humorous and real.... oved this read!
Faiz Mikano
Faiz Mikano marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Lexine
Lexine marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Melissa Henderson
Melissa Henderson is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2015
Jeanine
Jeanine marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • Radical Hospitality: Benedict's Way of Love
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Dinner with Persephone: Travels in Greece
  • The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • Unveiled: The Hidden Lives of Nuns
  • The Celtic Way of Evangelism: How Christianity Can Reach the West...Again
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Christianity for the Rest of Us: How the Neighborhood Church Is Transforming the Faith
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
The Soil Will Save Us: How Scientists, Farmers, and Foodies Are Healing the Soil to Save the Planet Stalking the Divine: Contemplating Faith with the Poor Clares Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil