Start by marking “The Unraveling” as Want to Read:
The Unraveling

The Unraveling (The Days and Months We Were First Born #1)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In the summer of 2068, New Yorker Martin Jacob had a sweet life ahead of him. He had recently graduated from NYU. He spent most of his time with his artist girlfriend, who had a wonderful apartment in Harlem. And in September, he was to begin his career as a History teacher for a private school in Connecticut. An easy life was laid out before him. Then a man-made virus cam ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published December 28th 2010 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Unraveling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unraveling

John Dow
Possibly the best indie publication I've read. Yes, it could be improved with some minor editing, but on the whole and intense, gripping, and well written story; or the first part of one, at least. At times reminiscent of H.G. Wells and John Wyndham, the story follows the fortunes of a bewildered young man who is one of the few survivors of a biological apocalypse. I'll certainly be reading the follow up.
Keith
This first two pages pulled me in because of how well I thought they were written. I don't think the rest of writing quite lived up to the intro but this is still an enjoyable read. I felt as if I were being told a story rather than reading the events of a story and I appreciated that.

The story is told entirely from the vantage point of one character and he is recounting the events after the fact. Other characters are not fleshed out in any way as a result. This is a tale of one man's experience
Jess Johns
A decent, quick read, but also a strong example of the value of a good editor. The writing and the story both need some assistance. I want to finish the story (this is the first in a trilogy), but I'd really love to see Christopher Hunter find an editor and update the books after he's done another a round of work on them. This read like a first draft to me, not a final version.

This is really what worries me about the trend toward self-publishing -- when does good enough become good enough? I've
Keryl Raist
Erin
This first "book" of three is actually just a novella, and is fairly mediocre. It seems like Hunter had some good ideas, but his execution was lacking. One of my biggest problems with this work is that I just could not connect with the protagonist. He comes off as dull, and often kind of lifeless. Until the very end he also never seems to have the strong emotional reactions you would expect out of a person in his situation, which was just kind of creepy.

There are also interjected bits throughou
Dear Velvet
Haunting... "What if?"

The current obsession with apocalypse, plague and pestilence leaves me cold; no make that a little freaked. Fear and horror have rarely been more popular, and, even when well done, somehow fail to strike the requisite chord within me. I've been known to have nightmares after horror movies, and Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' had to be prized out of my numb, frightened fingers.

This book is different. First I was drawn in by the poetic title. I couldn't resist it, so I just had
Alicia
First, let me say that I really admire authors who go rogue & publish their own books. 2nd: I am by no means a grammar Nazi - I can often be heard mumbling 'Should it be 'which' or 'that'?! Argh!!' But.

There is no way I can recommend this book except that it is often hysterically (unintentionally) funny. The story might actually be good - I can't tell because I couldn't get past the truly egregious stinkers. Example - this is just on one page, mind: "he waited for his queue before taking act
Flower
I feel kind of like a sucker again. I keep falling for these free kindle books and really it is just a section of a book. I think I would rather pay for a whole book than get the 1st few chapters free and then be sucked in. I would rather know how much the whole book is from the start. If these were in print there is no way you could sell the 1st part of this book, it was good but not a whole story. I don't know about the second or third part. I am not a fan of short stories, I want a book I can ...more
John
Wow. What can I say. Rarely, if ever, do I start a book and finish it the same day. Granted this isn't a huge book (it's part one of a trilogy that together would be a long book). I started it before bed last night, and could NOT put it down today, finishing it in a reading frenzy. Christopher Hunter is an emerging talent. He has done this COMPLETELY on his own. He is young. Sure there are some typos and grammatical errors (though actually, not as many as in the Timothy Zahn Star Wars book I jus ...more
Rosanne
This is a strange little book, an Kindle freeing, first in a trilogy. (The other books are cheap, but not free.) The author successfully describes the future dystopia that is NewYork City, now part of the Eastern United States, and the sudden onset of a cancer-like pandemic that decimates humanity. After that, things are not so clear. The narrative of the main character remains strong, gritty, and frightening, but it's interspersed with "transcripts" from the media, or scientists,who are far rem ...more
Pat Johns
This was a superquick read but left me anticipating the two other books in Hunter's self published trilogy. The protagonist wakes up (literally)too late to say the goodbys he wants to say. The tale continues to tell how survivors meet up and form and break alliances, friendships, families. Not as dark (so far) as The Road or The Stand but very readable.

T. Jackson
Really great story. Loved the characters.
Fiona
What a little gem - am moving straight on to the next one The Days and Months We Were First Born- Family By Fate
Kazamate

Broke my rule of never reading self published novels for this as it got reasonable reviews on Amazon. Will not be breaking it again. Unoriginal disjointed half story. Won't be reading the others in the trilogy.
Emily
Ignore the typos and grammar issues and pay attention to the meat of the story. An awesome start to what looks like a good trilogy. If you like scfi set in the future with apocalyptic conditions you will enjoy this!
Lindsay
An interesting concept, although some more scientific information on the virus would be useful. It will be interesting to see where this series goes.
Cathy
This is book 1 of 3 - a post-apocalyptic world in the year 2068. I purchased books 2 and 3 for my Kindle and I will review all three under the third book.
Sandi
Interesting story (Contagion for smokers!)that kept me reading. I received this book free on Kindle and it was riddled with typeset errors.
Angie Steiner
Meh-riffic. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. Just meh. I feel like in a month, I won't even remember that I read this.
Jolie
A pretty good post apocalyptic book. The parallel story lines were interesting and I will read the next book in the series.
Patricia Burnside
A fast read because I skimmed over a lot of gory descriptions.
I will start reading the 2nd book in the trilogy.
David Minger
A good post-apocalyptic romp.
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Dyan
Dyan marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Gaston Sanders
Gaston Sanders is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
  • Wanted
  • Throne
  • The Birth Of The Peacekeepers
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • Alexa's Travels: A Prelude
  • Towards Yesterday
  • Ping - From the Apocalypse (Ping, #1)
  • Incredible Dreams
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • The Use (Changing Magic, #1)
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • The End of Modern Civilization (Invasion USA, #1)
  • Seaborne (Seaborne #1)
  • Chained (Decorah Security #2)
  • Primal Shift: Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller)
  • Unbeaten Tracks in Japan
  • Level Zero

The Days and Months We Were First Born (3 books)
  • Family By Fate
  • The Journey
Family By Fate The Days and Months We Were Born The Journey The Post-New York Edition Engaged To Be Murdered (Grad School Can Be Murder Book 1)