Start by marking “Love Will Follow” as Want to Read:
Love Will Follow

Love Will Follow

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Kittie Thornton stepped down from the Orphan Train and into hell. Now, as a young woman, she must flee for her life, and take a stolen child with her. Every child on the 1890's Orphan Trains hoped to be taken in by a loving family, to know what it meant to be wanted and loved. For 10-year-old Kittie Thornton, it meant leaving her brother-protector on the train and being ta ...more
Published February 16th 2011 by Prairie Muse Publishing (first published February 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Love Will Follow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Will Follow

Jill
When 10 year-old Kittie Thornton left the Orphan Train, it was with the hope of living safely with a loving family who would welcome her as a daughter. Instead, after the death of her stepmother, Kittie finds herself the target of her lecher of a stepfather who wants to use and abuse her. Deciding it is safer to run away to an unknown future with her little stepsister, Kittie makes her way to Mounthaven, Ohio the town her real mother had come from.

New in Mounthaven is Deputy Sheriff Jake Kannady
Mary B.
I am a huge fan of historical romances, but this book just didn't engage me. The description sounded promising, but after making into the first few chapters of the book I realized I didn't really like either of the main characters. They never seemed quite realistic to me, and other than their connection through the heroine's brother and nephew, I never understood why they loved each other. The plot had a bit too many perfect coincidences that were not integrated in such a way as to make it seem ...more
Caro
I seriously adore this book. Love will follow was exactly what I had wanted it to be: it was a heart-warming read that made me think "Aww, that's so sweet." And in a good way.
I won't write a summary of what's happening in the book, since there are enough summaries out there already, but I definetely want to give my opinion.

Every chapter of Love Will Follow opens with a poem. They were sweet and full of insight. I loved that. What I also loved were the characters. Granted, the many good things t
Beth
Love Will Follow was a fast read. Literally and plot-wise! It was full of fast-paced drama, and the story pulled me in immediately. My favorite aspect of the novel was the setting. Bristol definitely worked hard to create the setting of an American town in the 1890's, accents and clothing included. Most of the characters also have concrete pasts that really ground them in the story line.

The aspects that I didn't enjoy as much were how the relationship of the main character, Kittie and Jake, deve
Sophie
Thanks to goodreads First Reads for this copy of Love Will Follow.

Things I Liked:
- A historical setting that doesn't hit you on the head with hard historical facts (names, dates, etc)
- An interesting and varied cast of characters, most of them likeable
- Believable dialog!
- The right amount of fictional convenience and coincidence
- Easy, quick readability

Things I Didn't Like:
- The lack of depth to the "bad guy"
- A couple of plot inconsistencies: Kittie finds out about X's death during the sn
Karen
A simple act of kindness rolled into a life free of drudgery, abuse and people who treated her with kindness & affection. The spirit of a brother, dying request lead to fulfilment of two people's dream family & home.

A harsh start but sweet finish.
Jake Mosel
This is a historical that actually merits the word "historical" in its genre claim. It doesn't just glom onto some historical dates. It describes the things people used, the things they saw, how hard it was to get from one place to another and from one day to another. Great emotion and and story. I'm recommending it.
Laura Landon
Wonderful book, rich in historical description. Emotionally gripping story about the desperate situations children experienced when leaving the Orphan Train. Loved the story of a family lost - and found.
Emmy
I thought the premise was good, but there were so many holes in the timeline and some of the details that I couldn't follow the story. Around the half way point I decided it wasn't worth my time to continue reading. Here are a few example of some of the problems I came across (mini spoiler warning on some of these):

First example: We are told in the first few pages that Kittie is 18. Then later when we are learning about her history we are told Axel rapes her when she is fifteen, she runs away ne
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I received a copy of the book from the author to review.

This is a historical romance. The main character, Kittie, and her brother were put on an orphan train after the death of their mother. Ten year old Kittie was taken in by a family and Penn, the older brother, left behind. He was hoping that his sister would be given a loving home.

Kittie's new family is far from loving. She is abused physically, emotionally, and sexually. The mother of the family dies after childbirth of a little girl and Ki
Gerrie
There was a lot to recommend this book. The story was creative and interesting, and the main characters were very engaging. I liked the setting of small town Ohio, and the inclusion of historical events such as Wounded Knee and the Orphan Train. Both the hero and heroine are given very compelling and sympathetic back stories. I also liked the otherworldly touch, which I found quite moving. All these factors would have made the book a four star read for me. However, there were a few problems with ...more
Darla
**SPOILERS** This was my first read by this author but I greatly enjoyed the book. I liked our main characters, Jake and Kittie. She was struggling to make ends meet to support little Hannah Marie, and he was searching for her to hold up his promise he made his friends. I liked the journey we saw these two go on, and the chemistry that was between them from the moment they met. I take for granted that Jake and Kittie were really only 20 and 18 respectively, they seemed older, must be due to ever ...more
Laurie
This book seems under appreciated in a lot of the reviews. I thought it was absolutely beautiful. Maybe some people couldn't understand the love at first site, but it was a spiritual love at first site. Brought together by the love and death tragedy of two people who meant the world to the H and h.
I would highly recommend this book and glad that I found it. For only 99cents on amazon it's definitely under valued.
Diana
This was a free Kindle book and so I thought I would give it a try. The premise is good, but the writing and details are horrid!!! I like historical fiction, but this is plain horrible. I usally don't review books that are big messes, but people should be warned about this book. I have to say as far as sensuality, it's clean(ish). It was just plain rushed and jumbled up. I think the author had a good thing going, she just didn't get it onto paper. The main characters were likable, but there were ...more
Ellen Praise
This is the kind of historical that gives you true glimpses of life in earlier times. Without pounding us with over-information, Bristol shows us what the times looked like, felt like. Her way of slipping these tidbits of descriptive narrative in is quite remarkable. And Bristol does this while wrapping an engaging story of fear and desperate flight around the lives of characters we come immediately to know and to love. This is altogether an immensely satisfying read.
Anna Winters
This is a great read, a gripping story. The characters come to life amid vivid settings and we are hooked from the get-go. Our heroine, Kittie, escapes the brutal existence that she survived for 8 years after leaving the orphan train, and our hero, Jake, escapes the carnage of Wounded Knee after making a life on his own with his best friend -- Kittie's brother. The unexpected turns, heightened by mystical dreams, brought tears to this reader more than once.
Nina
I wasn't sure if I should give this one or two stars, and I chose two because the story's well told and well written, but just not for me. If you like sweet/fluffy romances, where the hero saves the damsel in distress (more than once), and the good guys are all thoroughly good and the bad guys are all thoroughly bad, than I think you would enjoy this.
Dana Sahm
I enjoyed the book..the story was good, but the timeline of just a few weeks time made it a bit unbelievable. Had the author stretched the timeline to a few months, the premise would have been more plausible.
SheLove2Read
Wish it had been just a little longer and fleshed out a bit more, but a good read. Not a lot of heat to the story but if you like a mostly sweet romance this will fit the bill.
B+
Shannon Baas
What a great book. It was a quick read and an interesting story of the early 1900's. I am not usually a fan of romance, but this was a great book. I would definitely recommend it.
Caitlin
I won this book in a goodreads contest. This book sounds like it will be interesting. The description reminds me of V.C. Andrews in a way. I can't wait to read it.
Stella Marvel
This is the kind of read that leaves you so satisfied. Rich historical descriptions and vivid images of fear and hope. And such sweet love. I didn't want to put it down.
Naomi
I think you can have a book which focuses too much on romance and drama to the point where it detracts from the storyline. This book is one of those examples.
D.S. Williams
This was an absolutely delightful story, which was well-written with wonderfully drawn characters and an entertaining flow which kept me captivated throughout.
Kimberly
This was a great short novella. Tragic and sad with the expected happy ending.
Megan
Boring and cheesy. Too wordy
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
  • Another Chance
  • After The Ashes
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Audrey and the Maverick (Men of Defiance, #2)
  • Montana Dawn (McCutcheon Family, #1)
  • The Devil's Daughter
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • The Texan's Bride
  • Rafe's Redemption
  • The Stranger
  • Colorado Bride
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Christy (Women of Primrose Creek, #2)
  • Montana Born and Bred
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Wanted - Dead or Alive
From The Author's website;

Bailey Bristol

While many of you know me as Mary Schwaner, coloratura soprano, graphic artist and IT geek -- and yes, one of you even knows me as Grammie -- Bailey Bristol is the pen name under which I write all my historical and contemporary suspense novels.
As Bailey, I promise to take you to the most amazing places...places you hadn't thought about visiting, to be sure.
More about Bailey Bristol...
The Devil's Dime (The Samaritan Files #1) Late to the Dance The Gilded Cage (The Samaritan Files, #2) Tangled: A boxed set of historical novels

“Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.-Leonard Cohen” 7 likes