Start by marking “The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World” as Want to Read:
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World

The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #6)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,557 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Published 1989 by Bantam Books (first published August 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World

Stephen
Within the pantheon of endearing, morally-deficient scamps and scoundrels, James “Slippery Jim” Bolivar DiGriz (aka the Stainless Steel Rat) is up there with Bugs Bunny…except not quite so nasty.
Photobucket

Jim is one of those characters you just want to hang out with and he's always good for a few laughs and an elevated level of happy. This series is your basic literary pick me up.

For those unfamiliar with the world of the Stainless Steel Rat series, allow me to brazenly pimp out my previous review of b
James
Slippery Jim diGriz is getting told off by his boss, Inskipp, for stealing while on a previous mission for the Special Corps. Although, staffing a secret inter-galactic space police force with hardened ex-criminals is never going to be plain sailing I'd have thought. While he's being told off two things happen – firstly Jim surreptitiously helps himself to a number of Inskipp's expensive cigars, and secondly Inskipp suddenly disappears. He isn't the first either, a number of people are disappear ...more
deilann
Jul 05, 2015 deilann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on SpecFic Junkie.

After frustration with other time travel books (think Blackout/All Clear) I'm reminded that time travel stories can be fun. Granted, The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World is pointing out how ridiculous time travel stories can be half the time... so maybe it's not the best example.

Time travel is being used as a weapon, and the Special Corps are being wiped out. It's up to Slippery Jim to save the day (and of course, save Angelina). However, he quickly finds o
Wanda
Synopsis:

"Someone was tampering with time, altering the past to eliminate the present, fading people out of existence into a timeless limbo. One of the victims was Angelina, the wife of James de Griz, better known as the Stainless Steel Rat."

My thoughts:

Another adventure of one of my favourite sociopaths. Well before there was Dexter, there was Slippery Jim DiGriz. He is completely incapable of being straight forward, even with his beloved Angelina, the reformed psychopath.

As per usual, Jim &am
Matias
Aug 19, 2014 Matias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuando compre este libro no esperaba encontrarme con que en definitiva, solo puede ser llamado un “diamante en bruto”. Es una novela que, a pesar de ser la numero 6 de una saga, me atrapo al instante. Es verdad, empieza y no entendes nada. Segun parece hubo un robo y acusan al personaje principal del delito. Pero, “Oh sopresa!”, la historia toma una un giro inesperado y nuestro personaje tiene que viajar al pasado para salvar el futuro.
Muchas veces uno piensa que ya conoce todos los artefactos q
Linda I
Slippery Jim is back, and this time he saves the world from a time traveller named "He". After Special Corps employees begin rapidly disappearing, Jim is sent back to 1975 earth, translated "dirt", to stop "He" from conceiving his evil plan to destroy Jim's planet. Jim is thus sent on a wild goose chase, full of time loopholes and paradoxes, to track "He" through time - eventually catching "He" in Napoleanic France, in time to prevent Napolean (which is actually "He") from winning the war agains ...more
John Loyd
Jan 01, 2016 John Loyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was explained pretty quickly that stainless steel rat was a metaphor. In this future the galaxy is fairly peaceful and bland. James Bolivar "slippery Jim" DiGriz had a choice in life to go with the flow or to stir things up, get some excitement, live on the edge, making a not honest living. He's the rat, and the stainless steel is the type needed in this space age.

The plot follows sort of a pattern of Jim explaining what he's going to do, and what he expects will happen. A few unexpected thi
Johnny
James “Slippery Jim” diGriz, aka “The Stainless Steel Rat,” was one of Harry Harrison’s most beloved characters. At times, the wicked humor just popped into Harry’s head when he was typing on his word processor (I guess his PC came later). Each “Stainless Steel Rat” story feels like a marvelous imaginary romp where Harry thinks up absurd obstacles, nearly melodramatic situations as in the old movie serials, and then, finds (usually funny) ways out. The solutions don’t always make perfect sense. ...more
Richard Ward
Jul 26, 2015 Richard Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids, teenagers, or adults who like time-travel stories.
Brilliant, fun time-travel story starring Harry Harrison's most popular character, Slippery Jim diGriz AKA The Stainless Steel Rat. In the far, far future Jim and his wife both work for an intergalactic police force made up of criminals, some more reformed than others. The cops have a new enemy, and He (his name throughout the book is just He) has used time travel to destroy Jim, wife, and the rest before they are ever born. In fact, He uses time travel to destroy both Earth and colonized Mars. ...more
Brian McCusker
Mar 07, 2013 Brian McCusker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking story about Slippery Jim DiGriz. This time he's time travelling to thwart the dastardly plans of the evil He! Assisted by his gorgeous though deadly wife Angelina, there is quite a twist at the end of the book. An entertaining and for it's time a very forward thinking addition to the Stainless Steel Rat bibliography.
Eric Lawson
Jan 16, 2013 Eric Lawson rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World continues the adventures of Slippery Jim. With his wife, children and the rest of the universe in danger, he has to travel through time to save the universe before it was even in trouble.

This is my favourite Stainless Steel Rat book. It has time travel, paradoxes, and a totally insane villain.
Thom
Sep 02, 2012 Thom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
Two of my favorite genres - time travel and the Stainless Steel Rat. No explanation of why characters just "fade out" at the beginning of the story, and clearly no "parallel dimensions" hypothesis, but good fun regardless. As an aside, some good clean fun poked at 1970s Earth, the US in particular.
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World is a fun book to read. Like the first one in the series, the main character is highly likable, even though deep in his heart he is a crook. But at least he doesn’t believe in killing, unlike his wife, Angelina, the ex-pirate.

This book rolls along really fast and I found myself totally enraptured, even though I had read it about 15 years earlier. Jim never seems to be out of trouble and always finds himself in situations where I have no idea how he can pos
Nilya
Apr 18, 2012 Nilya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
What can make a Slippery Jim adventure better? How about time travel? Not enough? How about the Napoleonic War and NYC in the 1970s? Yep. It's that good.
Marcos
Jul 19, 2013 Marcos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A blast to read, even if the time paradoxes get a little too convoluted by the end.
Nai Wang
Sep 22, 2014 Nai Wang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was so much fun! Time travel, saving the world and paradoxes!!!
Mark
Jul 08, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Fast paced and filled with sci fi humor.
Frankie Mahrle
Apr 16, 2015 Frankie Mahrle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time Loops!!!
David King

“The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World” is the third instalment in Harry Harrison’s light hearted science-fiction series, “The Stainless Steel Rat”. In this novel, Slippery Jim diGriz finds his fellow members of the Special Corps suddenly disappearing around him. It soon becomes clear that somebody is changing the past to affect the future which is resulting in the disappearances. Luckily, there just happens to be a time machine available which Jim uses to travel into the past so that he can u
Simon Forward
By this stage in our journey, we should have a clear understanding that the Stainless Steel Rat is actually a little on the fluffy side, with only the rare and occasional glint of a harder edge cutting in here and there. This, adverstised with the words TIME-JUMPING RAT emblazoned on the back cover, is perhaps like the giant rat in Doctor Who’s Talons Of Weng-Chiang: a touch too cute for its own good.

Weighing in at what feels like the length of a Target Doctor Who novelisation, it’s as fast and
Kat  Hooper
Dec 17, 2010 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Slippery Jim DiGriz is back. Back in time, that is. The evil villain who calls himself “He” has been using time travel to try to rid the world of the Special Corp (including Jim and Angelina) by eliminating them before they were even born. As his world is quickly fading in front of his eyes, Jim jumps back to a planet called “Dirt” (that’s Earth) in their year 1975 so he can kill He before He can work His evil plan. Before the adventure is over, Jim ends u
Midnight Muldoon
I gave this 5 stars because when I was reading it and realized it was a time travel book I groaned. I HATE time travel, because it's tedious and messes up the past and I only decided to finish it because I didn't have any more new audio books on my MP3 player and was stuck at work for 8 hours. (I do data entry and listen to books while I work to keep my sanity) I really enjoyed this book. It was fun, interesting, humorous, and dealt with the entire issue I have with time travel.
Jon
Jan 30, 2015 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This time the Stainless Steel Rat finds himself on a quest through time and space to stop a mad villain from rewriting history as the universe knows it. Plot holes are in abundance, including a glaring part where the primary antagonist allows our hero to escape via his arrogance and/or stupidity, but that seems okay for this easy-going, teenager-oriented space adventure. Very similar to the other novels with its lighthearted humor, action-packed story, and fast pacing.
Mei
Oh, good old Slippery Jim. Another romp in which our blackguard hero is alternately sarcastic, immoral and yet manages to save the world (not a spoiler, the clue really is in the title) with more than a little help from his more than capable lady love. No shrinking violet she! Amusing.
Alien
Feb 03, 2016 Alien rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As with the other Stainless Steel Rat novels that I have read, this one ist fun for a while. But then I got tired of the over-the-top crazy plot that you just cannot take seriously. Well, you are not supposed to do so. But a whole novel is just too much for this style
Chani
Jan 13, 2014 Chani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I'm a big fan of the Stainless Steel Rat series. The first person adventures of a criminal in a world where there are no crimes. They're fun to read and not to be taken to seriously.

This volume takes our 'hero' back in time. First to 1975 and then to 1805, chasing after He, the enemy who is writing the Corp out of existence. All Jimi Di Griz wants is to get back to his wife, the murderous Angelina.

The resolution is ridiculous, the ride fun, an enjoyable afternoon was had by all.
Mark R.
This time Harry Harrison's got Jim DeGriz being shot back through time, sent to the long-gone planet Earth, in order to stop some nefarious wrong-doers from erasing the Special Corps team centuries before their birth.

It's a cool concept, with the usual fast pace, action scenes every other chapter, and the Rat's normal amount of humor. But I feel that some opportunities are missed. I'd like to see how Jim reacts to different elements of 1975 New York, but the city is barely on display, and before
Timothy Boyd
Jan 21, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the stainless steel rat books. They are all quick reads with alot of humor in them. The stories remain fresh and new. Very recommended, especially to teen readers or someone new to SiFi
Kathryn
Swashbuckling adventurer, thief, and all-around anti-hero travels into the past and the future(occasionally against his will) to save his planet, his woman, and ALL TIME ITSELF.

Not really my thing. It's obviously all meant in fun, but every time Jim gets himself out of trouble by pulling out yet another futuristic high-tech toy that he never informed the reader about, well it all gets a little stale. The time-travel wrap-up is cute for about a page, but lets face it, if you've seen "Bill and Ted
Impishfae
It's wry and funny with an endearing if arrogant anti-hero and his utterly kick-ass wife.

But there's no character development. It's all action and entertainment. This is a book for pure fun.
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • The Unseen University Cut-Out Book
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr, #2)
  • Tintin in the New World
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • The Far Side Observer
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • The I Inside

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)