Start by marking “The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World” as Want to Read:
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World
Preview

The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #6)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,049 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Published 1989 by Bantam Books (first published August 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World

Stephen
Within the pantheon of endearing, morally-deficient scamps and scoundrels, James “Slippery Jim” Bolivar DiGriz (aka the Stainless Steel Rat) is up there with Bugs Bunny…except not quite so nasty.
Photobucket

Jim is one of those characters you just want to hang out with and he's always good for a few laughs and an elevated level of happy. This series is your basic literary pick me up.

For those unfamiliar with the world of the Stainless Steel Rat series, allow me to brazenly pimp out my previous review of b
James
Slippery Jim diGriz is getting told off by his boss, Inskipp, for stealing while on a previous mission for the Special Corps. Although, staffing a secret inter-galactic space police force with hardened ex-criminals is never going to be plain sailing I'd have thought. While he's being told off two things happen – firstly Jim surreptitiously helps himself to a number of Inskipp's expensive cigars, and secondly Inskipp suddenly disappears. He isn't the first either, a number of people are disappear ...more
Wanda
Synopsis:

"Someone was tampering with time, altering the past to eliminate the present, fading people out of existence into a timeless limbo. One of the victims was Angelina, the wife of James de Griz, better known as the Stainless Steel Rat."

My thoughts:

Another adventure of one of my favourite sociopaths. Well before there was Dexter, there was Slippery Jim DiGriz. He is completely incapable of being straight forward, even with his beloved Angelina, the reformed psychopath.

As per usual, Jim &am
Linda I
Slippery Jim is back, and this time he saves the world from a time traveller named "He". After Special Corps employees begin rapidly disappearing, Jim is sent back to 1975 earth, translated "dirt", to stop "He" from conceiving his evil plan to destroy Jim's planet. Jim is thus sent on a wild goose chase, full of time loopholes and paradoxes, to track "He" through time - eventually catching "He" in Napoleanic France, in time to prevent Napolean (which is actually "He") from winning the war agains ...more
Matias
Cuando compre este libro no esperaba encontrarme con que en definitiva, solo puede ser llamado un “diamante en bruto”. Es una novela que, a pesar de ser la numero 6 de una saga, me atrapo al instante. Es verdad, empieza y no entendes nada. Segun parece hubo un robo y acusan al personaje principal del delito. Pero, “Oh sopresa!”, la historia toma una un giro inesperado y nuestro personaje tiene que viajar al pasado para salvar el futuro.
Muchas veces uno piensa que ya conoce todos los artefactos q
Simon Forward
By this stage in our journey, we should have a clear understanding that the Stainless Steel Rat is actually a little on the fluffy side, with only the rare and occasional glint of a harder edge cutting in here and there. This, adverstised with the words TIME-JUMPING RAT emblazoned on the back cover, is perhaps like the giant rat in Doctor Who’s Talons Of Weng-Chiang: a touch too cute for its own good.

Weighing in at what feels like the length of a Target Doctor Who novelisation, it’s as fast and
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Slippery Jim DiGriz is back. Back in time, that is. The evil villain who calls himself “He” has been using time travel to try to rid the world of the Special Corp (including Jim and Angelina) by eliminating them before they were even born. As his world is quickly fading in front of his eyes, Jim jumps back to a planet called “Dirt” (that’s Earth) in their year 1975 so he can kill He before He can work His evil plan. Before the adventure is over, Jim ends u
Jon
This time the Stainless Steel Rat finds himself on a quest through time and space to stop a mad villain from rewriting history as the universe knows it. Plot holes are in abundance, including a glaring part where the primary antagonist allows our hero to escape via his arrogance and/or stupidity, but that seems okay for this easy-going, teenager-oriented space adventure. Very similar to the other novels with its lighthearted humor, action-packed story, and fast pacing.
Mei
Oh, good old Slippery Jim. Another romp in which our blackguard hero is alternately sarcastic, immoral and yet manages to save the world (not a spoiler, the clue really is in the title) with more than a little help from his more than capable lady love. No shrinking violet she! Amusing.
Chani
I'm a big fan of the Stainless Steel Rat series. The first person adventures of a criminal in a world where there are no crimes. They're fun to read and not to be taken to seriously.

This volume takes our 'hero' back in time. First to 1975 and then to 1805, chasing after He, the enemy who is writing the Corp out of existence. All Jimi Di Griz wants is to get back to his wife, the murderous Angelina.

The resolution is ridiculous, the ride fun, an enjoyable afternoon was had by all.
Mark R.
This time Harry Harrison's got Jim DeGriz being shot back through time, sent to the long-gone planet Earth, in order to stop some nefarious wrong-doers from erasing the Special Corps team centuries before their birth.

It's a cool concept, with the usual fast pace, action scenes every other chapter, and the Rat's normal amount of humor. But I feel that some opportunities are missed. I'd like to see how Jim reacts to different elements of 1975 New York, but the city is barely on display, and before
Kathryn
Swashbuckling adventurer, thief, and all-around anti-hero travels into the past and the future(occasionally against his will) to save his planet, his woman, and ALL TIME ITSELF.

Not really my thing. It's obviously all meant in fun, but every time Jim gets himself out of trouble by pulling out yet another futuristic high-tech toy that he never informed the reader about, well it all gets a little stale. The time-travel wrap-up is cute for about a page, but lets face it, if you've seen "Bill and Ted
Nai Wang
That was so much fun! Time travel, saving the world and paradoxes!!!
Andreas
SciFi humor. I quite enjoyed the first five books or so, but in the end the laughter starts wearing thin. I gave up after “The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell”. Those I have read are:

The Stainless Steel Rat
A Stainless Steel Rat is Born
The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted
The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell

Sean Randall
And so ends yet another adventure for slippery Jim. This time, he goes back to old earth and generally trots around in time, rather than space. all quite paradoxical and ludicrous, but quite unsurprising. We don't know much about Jim's early life yet, so his blase assurances that this is the first time he's felt the true hand of fear and so forth may be a wee bit hollow. Still, with the kids added into the mix the adventures are surely to increase in sarcastic banter, if nothing else.
Brian
The stainless steel rat is a thief and a futuristic James Bond kind of guy. In this book he travels through time to save the universe. The evil 'He' is trying to destroy him. This will also destroy the universe and 'He' will rule... over, umm... nothing? Humorous at times. Boring at times. Exciting at times. Good book for the beach... at times. At my time it was a good enough read. Didn't grab me and I will forget it by tomorrow or tonight. But I'll remember it was fun with beer.
Győző
It wasn't good. Time travel almost always a bad idea, this was no exception. The plot and the main character suffered greatly. The title promises worldsaving, which is epic. Instead it was drunk stumbling upon stuff in the dark and being happy at the end that we managed to stay alive. And while you could look over the 2D characters in the first and the second novell, now it is geting on your nerves, why cant they be a little more belivable?
Бранимир Събев
Тук вече работата става много, ама много дебела. Див побърканяк успява да сътвори машина на времето и да се върне назад, оцапвайки историята така брутално, че ефектът в бъдещето и измирането на абсолютно всички хора и изчезването на сгради, светове... Ще се справи ли Джим ди Гриз? Трябва, най-малко заради живота на бременната си с близнаци съпруга!
Brian McCusker
Another cracking story about Slippery Jim DiGriz. This time he's time travelling to thwart the dastardly plans of the evil He! Assisted by his gorgeous though deadly wife Angelina, there is quite a twist at the end of the book. An entertaining and for it's time a very forward thinking addition to the Stainless Steel Rat bibliography.
Eric Lawson
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World continues the adventures of Slippery Jim. With his wife, children and the rest of the universe in danger, he has to travel through time to save the universe before it was even in trouble.

This is my favourite Stainless Steel Rat book. It has time travel, paradoxes, and a totally insane villain.
Thom
Two of my favorite genres - time travel and the Stainless Steel Rat. No explanation of why characters just "fade out" at the beginning of the story, and clearly no "parallel dimensions" hypothesis, but good fun regardless. As an aside, some good clean fun poked at 1970s Earth, the US in particular.
Paul
What did I think - hmmmm, well its Jim DeGriz, its science fiction monty python style, its clever, its funny and it damn unputdownable. The SSR is the best thing in scifi since discworld (actually before discworld - I love it. Damn good stuff
Dani Kollin
Jun 22, 2009 Dani Kollin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die hard Harrison fans
Recommended to Dani by: My brother
Ugh. A real let down from second in the series and drop off of epic proportions from the first. Time travel is always a dicey gambit and quite hard to do well. Suffice to say this book rests in the decidedly 'unwell' category.
Richard
While not as good as the previous books in the series its still provides a lot of the witty humor displaced in this series so far, the whole time travel edge to the story really threw it off a lot though, hence only 3/5
Dean Lappi
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World was the first Stainless Steel Rat book I read. It is a classic. I read the Stainless Steel Rat books every few years, and have done this for the past 30 years.
Sridhar Reddy
the issues of time travel are not very well dealt with and I wasn't convinced at one or two instances. The central idea is very far fetched even in fictional terms. Comedy is good though
Kelly R
Three or four stars.
Beginning was LAUGH OUT LOUD HILARIOUS!!! Especially if you have seen The Terminator, Doctor Who, and Back to the Future.
Entertaining but not that amazing.
James
Fast paced, as all the Rat books so far. Dues Ex Machinas at every turn help make this the tongue-in-cheek parody sci-fi adventure series that's as good as the serious stuff.
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Unseen University Cut-Out Book
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • Tintin in the New World: A Romance
  • Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr, #2)
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Barsoom Project (Dream Park, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • The Far Side Observer
  • Better than Life

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1) The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7) The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)