Start by marking “The Final Key: Part Two of Triad” as Want to Read:
The Final Key: Part Two of Triad

The Final Key: Part Two of Triad (Saga of the Skolian Empire #11)

Catherine Asaro has won numerous awards for her Saga of the Skolian Empire novels, including the Nebula Award and two Romantic Times awards for Best SF Novel. Combining cutting edge scientific theory with grand romantic adventure, this series represents space opera at its finest.
The Final Key is the second half of the story arc known as Triad, which began in Schism. Schism
Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Key

John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Skolian universe six thousand years ago a mysterious group of aliens took a group of humans and settled them on the world of Raylicon. The Ruby dynasty begins and spreads over hundreds or thousands of worlds. But because this was propped up on the alien technology spaceflight was lost. Several thousand years later spaceflight was rediscovered. A group of scientists started the Rhon project in order to use the ancient technology. An effort to create a more stable Rhon instead created the A ...more
Elise
Jan 02, 2010 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Sci-fi fan who loves a bit of romance and relationship plot
Recommended to Elise by: Me
Richard
Feb 18, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second and final part of the author's "Triad" series. It is well written and full of action and excitement. Asaro continues to improve as an author, but her books contain too much redundant information. In order to set the proper background for those readers who might not have read her earlier works, or predecessor novels, she repeats details about locations, family members, traits, etc. to an excessive degree. She even repeats the same details multiple times within the same novel. I ...more
Chris
Sep 20, 2015 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a great conclusion to the story. I like the pacing and I like the characterization done by the narrator. The only thing I feel it necessary to warn any potential listeners of this performance about is that the narrator failed to get a pronunciation guide for this book. The constant mispronunciation of the word psion and the many words related to it in this book was very distracting. Also, her pronunciation of several universe specific words did not match between books.
Cat
Apr 03, 2012 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the two Triad books, I think this one is my favorite... maybe because everyone wants to see what happens after a cliffhanger. I'm not sure what pressures the author was under to split these two, but The Triad is definitely a single major story arc.

Again, back stories are nice, but I'm left wondering what happens if I read them in Skolian timeline order rather than publishing order. It's something I've done with other serial titles, and am liking to try with this series.
Elar
Aug 26, 2013 Elar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This book was really good as it had everything you want from scifi book: technology wars, cybernetics, singularity, grudge between high tech factions. And it should be read with previous book which as I realize now is actually pretty decent intro to this final. I was little bit annoyed that some techmologies were used here which later in timeline described in ealier books seemed not to be explored.
Joy
Sep 10, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Aristo slavers have decided that now is the time to destroy the Skolian Empire. Their strategy is to break up the Kyle Net, the communications system that makes the Skolian Empire possible. The Net runs on the minds of the Skolian family, so each of the family is a target for assassins. A complicated family life is brought into relief by the severe threats to all their lives. It is especially satisfying to watch Eldrinson finally come into his own.
May 18, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm trying to figure out why I liked the earlier books better than the more recent ones. It may be a symptom of my having read them too close together, but I think it has to do with a shift in writing style. More is explained, and the reader has to do less extrapolation to figure out what's going on. I liked the challenge of the 1st few novels where we were plunked down into a new universe and had to think about who these characters were and what they were doing.
Mike
Oct 23, 2010 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another adventure of the Skolian Empire by Catherine Asaro. Some parts were pretty predictable since this is, after all, a prequel to some other books in the series. But, the character development is strong as usual and the action is good. There are a satisfying number of dramatic moments. I recommend it to Asaro fans.
Joni
Nov 08, 2007 Joni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fifantasy
This book is a continuation of the Triad books. It is much better than the first half. The first half suffers from lack of development of the characters. It was all set-up. In this book we see characters develop and of course, it's jam packed with tense action as well. Much more in line with what I expect from Asaro.
Pat Urban
Plot is fine, writing is boring, repetitive, in need of a very thorough edit. Really, it's unlikely that anyone would pick up a book that's 11th in a series. I'm quite tired of the endlessly repeated descriptions--we know what they look like already!!!
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last of the prequel to date, Soz finishes her training and goes on to start her stellar career as a Jagernaut.

Cover by Luis Royo

re-read this tale leading up to Primary Inversion on June 16, 2014
Kimmerie
Aug 10, 2012 Kimmerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the book - BUT. It copies great swathes of text from the previous books, word for word. Irritating.
Lisa
Aug 31, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series is great. With this two-part mini-series, it was good to be able to get to see the characters younger and to revisit some who had been lost.
Kerry
Oct 16, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, 10, 2006
[Copied across from Library Thing; 17 October 2012]
Vickey Malone
Vickey Malone rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Melissa Veracruz
Melissa Veracruz rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Renae
Renae rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Ruby Hollyberry
Ruby Hollyberry rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Lynne Magner
Lynne Magner rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Linda Trefts
Linda Trefts rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Spacecadet59
Spacecadet59 rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2017
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Dionis
Dionis rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Shinhan
Shinhan rated it liked it
May 06, 2010
Inez
Inez rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Pieter Post
Pieter Post rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2017
Alec
Alec rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2009
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)
  • Command Performance
  • Miles Errant (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #4)
  • Dream Dancer (Kerrion Empire, #1)
  • Judge (Wess'Har Wars, #6)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula® Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine
More about Catherine Asaro...

Saga of the Skolian Empire (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • Schism (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #10; The Triad, #1)