Start by marking “From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans” as Want to Read:
From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans

From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans

This is the dramatic, exciting, authoritative story of the experiences of African Americans from the time they left Africa to their continued struggle for equality at the end of the twentieth century.

Since its original publication in 1947, From Slavery to Freedom has stood as the definitive his-tory of African Americans. Coauthors John Hope Franklin and Alfred A. Moss, Jr.
Hardcover, Eighth Edition, 742 pages
Published April 11th 2000 by Knopf (first published January 1st 1)

Douglas
Text book for my African American History up to 1877 class. Very readable & enlightening.
Warner
Sep 10, 2008 Warner rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Amust read history on black people
Thomas Rush
Mar 01, 2015 Thomas Rush rated it it was amazing
When one encounters John Hope Franklin, now in video form on old TV shows or youtube, the first thing one is struck by is his natural dignity. He had such an easy-going personality, that he was able to easily make you like him right away. There was a benevolent quality about him, a naturally giving kind of spirit. In addition to his calm, kind and peaceful air, one is immediately struck by his intelligence. He's a man that can tell you something that happened 70 years ago with the clarity of as ...more
Vince Carter
Apr 22, 2009 Vince Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even with all the attendant publicity of how transforming an experience it was for our president to achieve his office, this famed account is remarkable. Daunting in its range certainly, yet the readable way in which so many stories of heroism and horror, inspiration and contribution are told makes it so worth the experience.
Ann
May 24, 2009 Ann added it
Shelves: read-2009
John Hope Franklin was a most amazing man. I requested this book at the library after learning of his connection to Nashville's Fisk University and after his recent death.
This reference / text book is full of a great deal of information - very impressive. I was able to skim through it, though didn't read it cover to cover.
Mark Bowles
Aug 30, 2014 Mark Bowles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A. Overview
1. Moss comes on board to offer a younger perspective for the 40th anniversary of Franklin’s work. This book attempts to “bring together the essential facts in the history of the American Negro from his ancient African beginnings down tot he present time. (Xi)” This history is the story of “the strivings of the nameless millions who have sought adjustment in a new and sometimes hostile world.”
B. Land of their fathers
1. In the last 1/3 of the 20th century blacks have written fondly of
Edward Bryant
Aug 20, 2015 Edward Bryant rated it it was amazing
I believe this is one of the best single volume surveys of Black History in America. Dr. Franklin is a sharp chronicler and writes in a tone that is scientific enough, but also with some passion and the patience of a true historian. I first used the book in an African American History course in college and since purchased the most updated versions for family bookshelf.
Mac
Nov 02, 2014 Mac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best historians I've read in a while. He tells the story of the African American in America better than anyone I've read so far. Franklin's research is top notch. I recommend this book to anyone interested in America as we know it today.
Chelsea
A very good, and very accessible, survey of black history in the US. I really recommend this for beginners (like me) in understanding black American history.
Rizky Hutapea
Dec 19, 2014 Rizky Hutapea rated it really liked it
One of the most complete historical description for black American history
Dee's Reading Zone
Thank you Dr. Waller for introducing me to this THOUGHT-PROVOKING JEWEL IN UNDERGRADUATE SCHOOL CIRCA 1984!
Kiki Unhinged
Aug 06, 2013 Kiki Unhinged rated it it was ok
Required reading for Ethnic History class
N.W. Martin
Jan 26, 2014 N.W. Martin rated it liked it
I'm giving Franklin's landmark text 3 stars. Why? Simply because he is a known revisionist and social historian who emphasizes his opinion instead of reporting objective analysis. Don't get me wrong, the social movement in history was a landmark time for history, at least in my opinion, but the problem here is that Franklin adheres to a Liberal revisionist doctrine (via his sources) without critiquing both sides of the spectrum. Tis why we see - in later chapters - his aggressive opinion on Reag ...more
Howard Franklin
Jan 06, 2016 Howard Franklin rated it it was amazing
Meticulously researched by Franklin and Moss, this highly readable book begins by presenting a broad view of early African empires, Ghana, Mali, and Songhay, dating back to before the Middle Ages. In fascinating detail, the reader is presented with societies that were remarkably sophisticated, with a sharp focus on their political, economic, and social systems, as well as art and music.

After this foundation is carefully laid, the authors then sweep forward to The Slave Trade and the New World, f
Luis Quiros
Jun 19, 2011 Luis Quiros rated it it was amazing
The work of a man who understood that history, without our stories was a deception that needed to be exposed. His mission as a historian was not to simply compile historical events but to bring forth the history of the people who lived through those historical events and to give a voice to their experiences.
Quisha Turner
Feb 01, 2016 Quisha Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to read it again. I learned a lot. History is amazing. Somethings that I read really upset me but I learned the truth. It's not pretty. It's rooted in history deep deep rooted evil..it's all black and white.
Doug Weiser
I finally finished reading this book.

I was prepared for it not to be a page turner, but I did not know it was a 636 page college level text book when I ordered it. Still, I feel it was a very enlightening read.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of the US.
Zeo
Sep 10, 2012 Zeo marked it as to-read
Read part of this a few years back and then had to get it back to the library - need to get back to it, and worth re-reading the part I already read.
Claire
Mar 26, 2009 Claire added it
Shelves: diaspora
My introduction to the the study of Africana started here.

Hawkins
Jan 13, 2016 Hawkins added it
Shelves: race, history
Read sections I needed for a paper. The version I have is older but I also have other material more recently published that provide greater detail about African American suffrage.
Monise Seward
May 07, 2012 Monise Seward rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Going to re-read this great book, which provides an in-depth account of African American history, since I will be designing curriculum to use for homeschooling in the Fall.
Thomas Bundy
Jul 30, 2011 Thomas Bundy rated it did not like it
Total revisionism.
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Perla
Perla rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2017
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Kiyah
Kiyah rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
J.J.
J.J. rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Asa Yoel
Asa Yoel rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
  • Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America
  • Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow
  • The Peculiar Institution: Slavery in the Ante-Bellum South
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • Africana
  • Debating Race: with Michael Eric Dyson
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
  • How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America: Problems in Race, Political Economy, and Society (Updated Edition)
  • The Black History of the White House
  • The Hidden Cost of Being African American: How Wealth Perpetuates Inequality
  • Gender and Jim Crow: Women and the Politics of White Supremacy in North Carolina, 1896-1920
  • Black Wealth/White Wealth: A New Perspective on Racial Inequality
  • The Promised Land: The Great Black Migration and How It Changed America
  • The Strange Career of Jim Crow
  • The Eyes on the Prize Civil Rights Reader: Documents, Speeches, and Firsthand Accounts from the Black Freedom Struggle
  • Black Women in White America: A Documentary History
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Remembering Slavery: African Americans Talk About Their Personal Experiences of Slavery and Freedom