Start by marking “From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans” as Want to Read:
From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans

From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This is the dramatic, exciting, authoritative story of the experiences of African Americans from the time they left Africa to their continued struggle for equality at the end of the twentieth century.

Since its original publication in 1947, From Slavery to Freedom has stood as the definitive his-tory of African Americans. Coauthors John Hope Franklin and Alfred A. Moss, Jr.
Hardcover, Eighth Edition, 742 pages
Published April 11th 2000 by Knopf (first published January 1st 1)

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson
Best American History Books
170th out of 1,010 books — 1,429 voters
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonThe Souls of Black Folk (Everyman's Library by W.E.B. Du Bois
African American Books That Changed Our Lives
19th out of 65 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

Douglas
Text book for my African American History up to 1877 class. Very readable & enlightening.
Warner
Amust read history on black people
Vince Carter
Even with all the attendant publicity of how transforming an experience it was for our president to achieve his office, this famed account is remarkable. Daunting in its range certainly, yet the readable way in which so many stories of heroism and horror, inspiration and contribution are told makes it so worth the experience.
Ann
May 24, 2009 Ann added it
Shelves: read-2009
John Hope Franklin was a most amazing man. I requested this book at the library after learning of his connection to Nashville's Fisk University and after his recent death.
This reference / text book is full of a great deal of information - very impressive. I was able to skim through it, though didn't read it cover to cover.
Chelsea
A very good, and very accessible, survey of black history in the US. I really recommend this for beginners (like me) in understanding black American history.
N.W. Martin
I'm giving Franklin's landmark text 3 stars. Why? Simply because he is a known revisionist and social historian who emphasizes his opinion instead of reporting objective analysis. Don't get me wrong, the social movement in history was a landmark time for history, at least in my opinion, but the problem here is that Franklin adheres to a Liberal revisionist doctrine (via his sources) without critiquing both sides of the spectrum. Tis why we see - in later chapters - his aggressive opinion on Reag ...more
Rizky Hutapea
One of the most complete historical description for black American history
Luis Quiros
The work of a man who understood that history, without our stories was a deception that needed to be exposed. His mission as a historian was not to simply compile historical events but to bring forth the history of the people who lived through those historical events and to give a voice to their experiences.
Monise Seward
Going to re-read this great book, which provides an in-depth account of African American history, since I will be designing curriculum to use for homeschooling in the Fall.
Zeo
Sep 10, 2012 Zeo marked it as to-read
Read part of this a few years back and then had to get it back to the library - need to get back to it, and worth re-reading the part I already read.
John Legge
It's a history book, testbook like, but full of interesting stuff. Learning experience.
Claire
Oct 24, 2012 Claire added it
Shelves: diaspora
My introduction to the the study of Africana started here.

Kiki Unhinged
Required reading for Ethnic History class
Kelly
Required reading for Ethnic History class
Cheryl
Without doubt, this is the standard!
Warner
Sep 13, 2008 Warner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Warner by: University
Black history
Thomas Bundy
Total revisionism.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Kavitha Iyengar
Kavitha Iyengar marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Nekquai
Nekquai marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Faine Greenwood
Faine Greenwood marked it as to-read
Christian Bowe
Christian Bowe marked it as to-read
Selena Davis
Selena Davis marked it as to-read
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America
  • Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow
  • The Peculiar Institution: Slavery in the Ante-Bellum South
  • How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America: Problems in Race, Political Economy, and Society (Updated Edition)
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • The Black History of the White House
  • Remembering Slavery: African Americans Talk About Their Personal Experiences of Slavery and Freedom
  • The Eyes on the Prize Civil Rights Reader: Documents, Speeches, and Firsthand Accounts from the Black Freedom Struggle
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
  • The Hidden Cost of Being African American: How Wealth Perpetuates Inequality
  • Gender and Jim Crow: Women and the Politics of White Supremacy in North Carolina, 1896-1920
  • Black Reconstruction in America 1860-1880
  • The Strange Career of Jim Crow
  • Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North
  • Debating Race: with Michael Eric Dyson
  • There Is a River: The Black Struggle for Freedom in America
  • Let the Trumpet Sound: A Life of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Freedom Dreams: The Black Radical Imagination
Mirror to America Runaway Slaves: Rebels on the Plantation Reconstruction after the Civil War In Search of the Promised Land: A Slave Family in the Old South From Slavery to Freedom