Start by marking “Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends” as Want to Read:
Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends

Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Here's a puppy, there's a kitten . . . a yawning fawn and chuckling ducklings

The perfect introduction to animal names and animal groups, Chuckling Ducklings features baby animals of every variety. The bouncing text and adorable illustrations will become a favorite with kids as they learn the special baby names that match all the grown-up animals they know and love.
Published February 15th 2011 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chuckling Ducklings and Baby Animal Friends

Betsy
They say that humor is subjective. They might as well just go and say the same thing for what folks find cute. What positively reduces one person to a pile of babbling goo might strike another as abominably saccharine. There is no accounting for taste. Personally, I have a low "awww" threshold. Cute, for me, has to go beyond long eyelashes and oversized heads. You've gotta have some substance to your adorableness or you'll just disappear in the midst of all the ootsy-cutesy picture book fare chu ...more
Not only is this book absolutely adorable, it's also well-written and informative. Zenz goes through all sorts of baby animal names, but the rhyme scheme is rock solid throughout and the patterns are varied enough that the text doesn't even come close to be being boring (which would have been really easy to do with what's basically a list). Now let's talk illustrations - all these baby animals are just too cute for words with the variety and cleverness of the text keeping them from tipping over ...more
Angela
Don't let this cover deceive you...this is no ordinary chick book! In fact, it's a great introduction to the animal names of young ones and their adult counterparts. There's suprises in here for everyone and toddler friendly illustrations. A great introduction to non-fiction concepts for the very young and highly recommended for school and library collections. Gift it to a Kindergarten teacher and make their day!
Bridget R. Wilson
You know all about ducklings, kittens, and puppies, but what about all the other animals? What do you call a baby platypus, llama, or swan? You're in luck! Chuckling Ducklings & Baby Animal Friends will educate you on what ordinary and extraordinary animal babies are called.

What I thought: A great idea for a book. I learned so much from reading this book. Baby animal names are something I've never really given much thought to. Animal group names, yes, (Murder of crows, anyone?) but baby anim
Meg McGregor
What a happy and bright cover! That was the first thing that drew me to this book!

The other reasons can be found on each and every page of this delightful board book!

Hooray for babies of all kinds!!!
Heidi
I am so biased when it comes to this author/illustrator. He is my all time favorite. Take this review for what it's worth knowing that.

I LOVED this book. The illustrations were adorable without being sappy or overly so. It was informative and it taught me things I didn't know. My children really enjoyed it. Plus, the rhymes are good but not distracting or really necessary. Good Job Zenz! Another favorite on my bookshelf.

Update - (In honor of the recently released board book we had to buy) Our h
Barbara
One by one, they march through the pages, those irresistible baby animals. Through colored pencil illustrations and simple text, readers learn the special baby names for a plethora of animals. Although some such as duckling and fawn may be quite familiar to young readers, others such as eyas for baby hawks, cria for a baby llama, and poult for a baby turkey won't be. In fact, it's highly likely that the adults who are reading this book to their beginning readers won't recognize all the baby anim ...more
Samantha
Did you know that a baby platypus and a baby echidna are both referred to as puggles? This cute book reveals page after page of baby animal names you probably weren't aware of and concludes with a 2 page spread at the book's end listing each animal's baby/adult name. Pictures are big and colorful and I can imagine that sharing this title in any capacity will ignite an interest in specific animals. In other words, I think this would be a great title to help bridge the gap between fiction and nonf ...more
NTE
This is one of Lil Girl's favorite books (and the first she learned to read on her own). The idea of knowing things that other people don't readily know appeals to her, I guess... and I'm not above being ridiculously pleased when knowing what a puggle is comes in handy during a round of Trivial Pursuit. So all the baby animals get names, and cute drawings, and the kiddos and I get a little bit of extra knowledge: Excellent all around.
Ambra
Cute, cute, cute book and it's informative to boot. The pictures in this book had my kiddos captivated and they loved learning what all the baby animals were called. It was a fun book for me too because it went beyond the usual "joey" and "foal," naming some more unfamiliar baby animals like the puggle. Nope, I'm not going to tell you what kind of mama has a baby puggle...you'll have to read it for yourself.
Reader
More than just a cutesy concept. Zenz shows a wide variety of adorable baby animals. With clever rhymes, he names each one, from the expected to the obscure. A nice graph at the end identifies each of the animals in turn, along with the names of their adult equivalents. So while the pictures are cute and all, there's a real practical use for the book. Neat. - B
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Cute, bright illustrations introduce young readers to a variety of different baby animals found in the animal world. Who would have thought tadpoles would be cute?! If you're an "awwer" than this book will have you awwing on every page. With it's simply wording and "aw" so cute illustrations, make this an adorable read.
Laura Salas
This is a cute chant of the names of baby animals. The meter is great, making it a fun read-aloud. I did wish for a bit of back matter info--the spread (or maybe it's the endpapers) showing all the characters and telling what the adult animal is is graphically appealing, but I would have liked more information.
Sara
Oh man, even I didn't know what some of these baby animals were called. Large, clear pictures with rhyming text -- no story, just basically a list of what baby animals are called. Might be fun to have kids guess what the animals names are? Did you know baby platypus are called PUGGLES???
Caroline (Cary)
Very cute rhyming picture book focused on the names of the young of various animal species. Bright colored pencil illustrations, chart at back of book showing species and young names.
Michelle
Ever wonder what a baby llama is called? Or a baby Hare? Great for vocabulary, and the illustrations are adorable! btw...baby llama? A cria. Baby hare? A leveret. Very cool.
Franki Sibberson
I'm between and 3 and a 4 on this. My thinking is that it is far more fun to read with kids than to yourself. Definitely one I need to practice a bit before I read it with kids:-)
Donalyn
This is a charming book for teaching kids the names of baby animals. Includes everything from common terms like "cub" to more unusual terms like "leveret" and puggle.
Courtney
Flipped through this at work. Really young age level - very little text. It's super cute, though. And Puggles has to be one of the best words ever! <3 :D
Sylvester
3* art
3* words

Too old for an almost 2. Squirt doesn't care that a baby eel is called an "elver" just yet. Will try again at 3 or so.
Nancy Lockett
Great illustrations.. and I learned all kinds of cool names for animal babies which I didn't know.
Linda Atkinson
Large, beautiful illustrations and rich text make this one a winner.
Hannah
Mar 09, 2011 Hannah marked it as to-read
Adorable.... getting for my baby cousin since I read Zenz's blog!
Edward Sullivan
This parade of animal babies is irresistably adorable.
Jessica Bearden
This book was adorable and really showed all the animals!
Elizabeth
Storytime uses:

Animals, Vocabulary skill
Mary Lee
Fun chant of baby animal names.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Benefiting ESL populations
Thia
May 31, 2012 Thia added it
Shelves: preschool
names of baby animals
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aaron Zenz is the author and illustrator of The Hiccupotamus. He is the illustrator of 9 additional children's books as well.

Aaron lives in West Michigan. In addition to writing and illustrating, he also frequently visits schools and libraries where he inspires kids to read and write through fun, interactive programs."

More about Aaron Zenz...
The Hiccupotamus Hug a Bull: An Ode to Animal Dads I Love Ewe: An Ode to Animal Moms The Chimpansneeze Orangutangled