Start by marking “Harbors and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  610 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Travel with Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin in this companion to the sea-faring tales of Patrick O'Brian. This second edition features two new chapters, while the detailed maps of the first edition have been updated to include the latest episodes in the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Published May 1st 1999 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Harbors and High Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harbors and High Seas

Jason Koivu
Dean King so wants to have a bromance with his favorite author Patrick O'Brian. Hey, who am I to talk, I popped an O'Brian boner too when I walked into a bookstore and found upon a shelf Harbor and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian.

O'Brian's 20 book series (21 if you count the unfinished one) can be read and enjoyed without such Cliffs Notes-style assistance. However, O'Brian wrote with exquisite attention to detail for time and p
Terence
Picked this one up at the used-book store I frequent on the same fishing expedition that netted The Lucky Strike. I always feel bad if I can't find something there to buy, and not just because they're a used-book store in a world where that species is increasingly rare but also because they were my source for many of the Sylvia Townsend Warner and T.F. Powys volumes I own.

I figure it's the least I can do to help keep them in business.
Dawn
Apr 10, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
indispensable when reading the series!
HBalikov
Apr 16, 2013 HBalikov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book amply fulfills its stated purpose and makes a great series even more enjoyable. For me, seeing a graphic representation of the journeys by Captain Aubrey enhanced my understanding of what this captain and crew faced. The text is most helpful in giving additional information about countries, ports, etc.
Don
Feb 09, 2015 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ships
This book comprises a chapter for each of the 20 completed Aubrey-Maturin novels, with a technical introduction (by John B Hattendorf) and some general maps of Europe, England and Ireland. The 20 chapters each contain a summary of the corresponding book, a short commentary on some of the key places, and one or more maps showing the routes taken by the protagonists.

I read it alongside the last 7 of the books and found the maps very useful - I wish I had had them to hand when I was reading the ea
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Third Edition

This would have been rated one notch higher if I had had it available while reading through the series. An avid fan would own this volume and follow along with the maps (curiously absent from the books and sorely missed by landlubbers such as myself),
Bill
Jul 16, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Great companion to the book series. I like to go and review this after I have finished one of the novels. Really fantastic job done on this to be able to tell where Captain Aubrey traveled all over the world.
Teri
Mar 03, 2015 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use this book as a reference and as such not to be read cover-to-cover like a fiction book, which is why I marked it as read. Very good.
Robert
Oct 24, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful reference book for Patrick O'Brian's novels. I am glad I have it.
MisterFweem
I think I read this book wrong.

Rather than reading it as a companion to Patrick O'Brian's books, I read it on its own, and really had to plod through it. It's a fount of good information, but not all at one go.

The authors do a great deal to explain places, but I was surprised at the sparse treatment of nautical terms and such. O'Brian does some of that in his books, but I would have liked to have seen the authors of this book do a thorough job of it.
Roger W.
May 02, 2008 Roger W. added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Patrick O'Brian
This is the geographical arm of the reference volumes for the Aubrey-Maturin series of Patrick O'Brian. Here you can look up any real or invented place described in the books and find out just where Mahon was situated and what its harbor defenses looked like in that day.
Edward Truitt
Feb 20, 2012 Edward Truitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A valuable companion to the Aubrey Maturin series, and now, as I near the end of reading the series through for the second time (but in chronological order this time) I am enjoying perusing it for its own sake, a very readable and enjoyable piece of work in its own right.
Catherine  Mustread
Feb 19, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who reads the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Great companion book to the Aubrey-Maturin series. This 3rd edition covers books 1-20. (#21 is the last and uncompleted book in the series. Maps and diagrams make the novels better understood geographically.
Ross
Mar 25, 2012 Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most useful of the reference books for the series. It is a must companion for getting full enjoyment reading this series. The gloss for the series "A Sea of Words" is also a must reference.
Amy
Jan 27, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been using this reference as I read the books. It's nice to see the geography referred to, although sometimes the maps don't include all the detail I'd like.
Jon
Nov 26, 2013 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great in parts, but more battle maps (and just more maps in general) would improve it. It's helpful for context, but not as much as I'd initially hoped.
Wendy
If you read Patrick O'Brian at all, this is a must-have. Dean King gives you maps and other geographical info that literally makes the books come alive.
Meg
Sep 29, 2007 Meg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sailing-fiction
Pretty much useless synopsis of all the stories. Has a few maps illustrating where battles were. I was hoping for LOTS of charts. The title is very misleading.
Kathy
Jun 14, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geography lessons are extremely helpful. However, the short write-ups on places of interest could be a lot more engaging.
Matthew
If you're reading the Aubrey and Maturin novels, this is a nice companion.
Luke Henning
A cool compendium to go along with any story about Lucky Jack!
Fangirl
Nov 17, 2009 Fangirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful companion to the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Jordi
Jordi marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Stophatgoodreads
Stophatgoodreads rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
charles bennett
charles bennett rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Chet Boddy
Chet Boddy rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Paul Maki
Paul Maki rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Josie B.
Josie B. marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
  • Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy
  • Patrick O'Brian's Navy
  • Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Man-Of-War
I like to read, wander cross-country, travel in cultures I don't understand, cycle, play squash, and I'm a foodie. But most of all I like to be in the throes of writing a book. This is invigorating work. The moment when the hard-won research combines with a bit of sweat and blood and occasionally a tear to become a fluid paragraph is like no other. What I hope to achieve is to suspend time and dis ...more
More about Dean King...