Harbors and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Travel with Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin in this companion to the sea-faring tales of Patrick O'Brian. This second edition features two new chapters, while the detailed maps of the first edition have been updated to include the latest episodes in the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Published May 1st 1999 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Harbors and High Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harbors and High Seas

Jason Koivu
Dean King so wants to have a bromance with his favorite author Patrick O'Brian. Hey, who am I to talk, I popped an O'Brian boner too when I walked into a bookstore and found upon a shelf Harbor and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian.

O'Brian's 20 book series (21 if you count the unfinished one) can be read and enjoyed without such Cliffs Notes-style assistance. However, O'Brian wrote with exquisite attention to detail for time and p...more
Terence
Picked this one up at the used-book store I frequent on the same fishing expedition that netted The Lucky Strike. I always feel bad if I can't find something there to buy, and not just because they're a used-book store in a world where that species is increasingly rare but also because they were my source for many of the Sylvia Townsend Warner and T.F. Powys volumes I own.

I figure it's the least I can do to help keep them in business.
HBalikov
This book amply fulfills its stated purpose and makes a great series even more enjoyable. For me, seeing a graphic representation of the journeys by Captain Aubrey enhanced my understanding of what this captain and crew faced. The text is most helpful in giving additional information about countries, ports, etc.
MisterFweem
I think I read this book wrong.

Rather than reading it as a companion to Patrick O'Brian's books, I read it on its own, and really had to plod through it. It's a fount of good information, but not all at one go.

The authors do a great deal to explain places, but I was surprised at the sparse treatment of nautical terms and such. O'Brian does some of that in his books, but I would have liked to have seen the authors of this book do a thorough job of it.
Roger W.
May 02, 2008 Roger W. added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Patrick O'Brian
This is the geographical arm of the reference volumes for the Aubrey-Maturin series of Patrick O'Brian. Here you can look up any real or invented place described in the books and find out just where Mahon was situated and what its harbor defenses looked like in that day.
Edward Truitt
A valuable companion to the Aubrey Maturin series, and now, as I near the end of reading the series through for the second time (but in chronological order this time) I am enjoying perusing it for its own sake, a very readable and enjoyable piece of work in its own right.
Catherine  Mustread
Feb 19, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who reads the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Great companion book to the Aubrey-Maturin series. This 3rd edition covers books 1-20. (#21 is the last and uncompleted book in the series. Maps and diagrams make the novels better understood geographically.
Ross
This is the most useful of the reference books for the series. It is a must companion for getting full enjoyment reading this series. The gloss for the series "A Sea of Words" is also a must reference.
Amy
I have been using this reference as I read the books. It's nice to see the geography referred to, although sometimes the maps don't include all the detail I'd like.
Jon
This was great in parts, but more battle maps (and just more maps in general) would improve it. It's helpful for context, but not as much as I'd initially hoped.
Wendy
If you read Patrick O'Brian at all, this is a must-have. Dean King gives you maps and other geographical info that literally makes the books come alive.
Meg
Pretty much useless synopsis of all the stories. Has a few maps illustrating where battles were. I was hoping for LOTS of charts. The title is very misleading.
Kathy
Geography lessons are extremely helpful. However, the short write-ups on places of interest could be a lot more engaging.
Luke Henning
A cool compendium to go along with any story about Lucky Jack!
Fangirl
A very helpful companion to the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Tom Baker
Tom Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Luc
Luc is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Aug 17, 2014
Bethan
Bethan marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
  • Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy
  • Patrick O'Brian's Navy
  • Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels
I like to read, wander cross-country, travel in cultures I don't understand, cycle, play squash, and I'm a foodie. But most of all I like to be in the throes of writing a book. This is invigorating work. The moment when the hard-won research combines with a bit of sweat and blood and occasionally a tear to become a fluid paragraph is like no other. What I hope to achieve is to suspend time and dis...more
More about Dean King...
Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian The Feud: The Hatfields and McCoys, The True Story Patrick O'Brian: A Life Unbound: A True Story of War, Love, and Survival